2019-02-25 17:07:54 (edited by Zarvox 2019-02-25 17:08:56)

The mindset of blind people is much different than the mindset of those who can see. I do not mean that in a bad way, blind people  just interpret blindness in different ways than sighted people. Before I continue I need to say that I am aware that not every sighted or blind person follow the same mindset as the examples below. I am attempting to use majority populations, I understand that there are always those who do not fit these examples. With that being said, here are a few examples. These examples are not separated into family, stranger, and teacher/trainer that support the visually impaired mindsets, these are just examples I have noticed.

Most sighted people want a blind person to get bak their sight and cling to that hope forever. Some blind people do not want their sight back ever, others want it back if possible.

Sighted people think we are incredible when performing basic tasks, laundry, dishes, and traveling in the city. Blind people just do it and treat it like a basic task, a part of normal life.

Some sighted people always use the same reasons and use them to say, since you are blind, you don't have to deal with, or, since you are blind, you have the advantage to. Their reasons are, not have to look at this disgusting world, you can get out of doing things, and can touch boobs and ass and call it an accident. Blind people may joke about this stuff, or sometimes they say it every once in a while if they are reading about or experiencing an issue.

Like I said, these examples are just things I have noticed from a few people I know. The first example is the one I struggle with. How can I change my mindset to be positive about accepting blindness like blind people? And how can I change other people's mindset to be less dramatic about being blind?

2019-02-25 18:03:12

So for someone losing their vision, that's got to suck. I don't know which way it happened for you, whether it was gradual, or just happened, but it sucks. Either way you slice it, that's a tough situation to go through. The thing is, it's what you have now, and you could have it for a long while. Perhaps not the rest of your life, because technology is always improving, but perhaps yes, for the rest of your life. You need to come to terms with the fact that you may be blind the rest of your life, and only keep the slim chance it could be reversed in the back of your mind. You can't let that surface, too often, because its false hope, and false hope can be dangerous. For now, you have what you have. I don't think there's any magic process you can go through to just let that be OK to you. Even then, there are times when you feel it more; but in general, it's not an awful existence. It's something I don't go through my day thinking about, really until it starts causing me no end of problems that I can't seem to get around, which is kind of rare. It seems to me like you have some sort of barrier, a split in your personality. One half is steadfast and unwilling to accept this new condition, and the other is more willing to adapt and change. Since being sighted, or mostly sighted or whatever you previously were was so strong, since vision is such a dominant sense for humans, that part of you, the first part unwilling to change has a powerful hold on you right now. I believe in the power of the mind though, and that things like this can be dealt with from within if you just work at it, but you have to bring every ounce of will power to bear on it. Meditation might help, as well as someone to guide you through meditation.

In short, there's no one quick sure fire way to just be OK with going blind. My only other thing is try to find others like you, possibly support groups so you can talk with others who have also lost their sight. Also, this is a point that a lot of people will probably disagree with me about, but this thing is going to affect you as much as you allow it to. In other words, if you make no attempt to be OK with it, if you make no attempt to try to accept it, it could run away with you and turn into something traumatic for you. Don't let that happen, you have the power to prevent it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-25 18:15:55

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. THese first 8 years are my false hope while these 10 blind years are my new personality. Several problems have occured from this, including a strange addiction that my mind made up when I was 8 to torture people. Until recently I haven't tried to rid myself of the addiction. But now I realize that it is not the addiction that I need to start getting rid of, it is accepting blindness I need to achieve. I have the will to change, but I don't have a personal counselor to help me get there yet, if you know someone trained in that area please let me know. But yes everything you are saying is exactly what I feel, and I realize the damage not accepting has caused, and wish to start accepting now so that the damage stops. Cleaning it up will happen over time, but stopping it now is better than ignoring that fact of accepting until I randomly resufrace the same realization of having to accept it. This ralization occured in 9th grade, but I didn't take it the right way, I asked myself the wrong questions, and didn't reach out for help. This same realization of knowing I can not ignore it anymore just happened recently, and this time I am not letting things happen the same as 9th grade. THat was 3 years ago. This time I am ready to stop this, I know I have the mindset, the will power, and way more resources. I just do not know where to find a good counselor that is trained in helping accept blindness, or something similar. I talk to friends and teachers and they help a lot, but I need a counselor who has more experience than they do, and who can devote more personal time to me, as that is their job to do so, of course they have other clients too. I can keep myself up for a while, and keep my motivation strong, but I need to find a trained person , and I don't know where to start looking.

2019-02-25 18:20:02 (edited by Zarvox 2019-02-25 18:20:29)

THe things you have told me I discovered a few weeks ago when that realization hit me. You in fact said the same phrases as I did, and I am very greateful that you understand my issue. You nailed exactly what I thought and felt as soon as the realization hit. I have made a lot of progress already, I have changed my mindset a little already, I just don't know the next step. Perhaps the thing I need to understand now, is that a counselor won't always have the next step, I may need to experiement. But having that counselor will help me come up with ways to experiment

2019-02-25 19:08:08

i'M so happy and greatfulll that i'M blind from birth
i cant imagine loosing sight after you reach surton age so, i hope those kinds of people founds a way out of their problems

2019-02-25 21:50:33 (edited by Chris 2019-02-25 21:55:46)

I can't speak from the perspective of someone who lost vision after having it. I was born premature and am totally blind. There comes a point when you have to decide if you're going to let that fact prevent you from doing anything or if you're willing to say "Well, this is the way it's going to be, and I might as well do something positive". That's what I have done. I haven't let blindness stop me from enjoying computers, books or talking to people about all kinds of things.

I imagine suddenly going blind would make one realize just how many things most people take for granted. I can't say for sure, but this seems to be the case. In my mind, be grateful that you're still alive and that it wasn't much worse. Blindness is purely an information and attitude barrier. Instead of wasting time wishing you had your vision back, let's work on making the world more accessible for those that don't have it. The truth is that anyone can lose vision at any time for any reason. For some reason beyond our understanding, eye tissue doesn't mend itself unlike 99% of the rest of the human body.

People who go on and on about getting their vision back or hoping God will magically heal them are living in a fantasy world. As far as we know, magic doesn't exist and never will. That's why I read so many fantasy books. They let my mind wander and I get the chance to go on all sorts of fantastic adventures that simply aren't possible in the relatively boring world we live in. Until God shows himself/herself/itself and incredible powers, I don't believe any of it and have to accept that I have to deal with the cards I've been delt.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-02-25 22:49:56

I never had perfect vision, but I could play Mario until I was 14.33. And you know what else? Prior to that, I made it very clear that I did not care one way or the other, so long as I could still play video games. And lo, the Lord laugh'd out loud, saying, "Even that which you have, it shall be taken away." And it was so, for the Lord had spoken it,.
... This somehow managed not to bother me for a whole 5.5 years, though. Then I decided I was really tired of not being able to play the games I wanted, and started on what would become the Jeqocon Console. And no seriously I had to get out of college and realize how much it bites living with and being dependent on your parents when they were your parents at the same point in their lives to sink in.
>.>
<.<
I can has game?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-25 23:04:36

I don't know how to help you find a counselor who can fit your needs, or how to go about it. That process in itself might be somewhat complex. I don't like how people who have studied about blindness think they know everything there is to know about it. The fact is, if you have working eyeballs, you just don't know and that's that. Now, now they will have insight into things you can find useful, just... take the things they say with a grain of salt. Not with skepticism necessarily, just evaluate it for yourself and question anything you feel needs to be questioned. I wouldn't want a counselor who felt the same way as other sighted people, like how blind people are so inspiring for getting dressed, or oh my god, a blind person is on the street, its a miracle of god.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-26 00:27:52 (edited by afrim 2019-02-26 00:30:35)

Hello,
Well, remember that the viewpoint of sighted people in regard to the state of being blind is completely different from what we understand or experience. They cannot perceive the fact that sight can be made up for other senses that come into play once the sight is lost. They come as a necessity of the person to create contact with the world around him/her. Hearing especially assumes a greater responsibility in making possible the contact with the surrounding environment. The person becomes quite keen on understanding every sound caught by the ears as his main sense is now hearing. A sighted person does not need a really sharp hearing because most of the information is perceived by the eyes. A study conducted in schools shows that only 7.5 up to 9.5% of the information presented by the teacher is perceived by hearing and the rest by seeing or body language. Thus eyes are a really immense information engine, information source, information receiver  . . . whatever you want to call it. It's like a different frequency we can't syncronise to.
Am I crying all day long to tune to this frequency? No. Do I sometimes feel down due to being unable to see? Yes, of course. Do I want to turn back my sight as it in fact was taken from me when I was just an innocent one and a half-year old child? Yes, it's one of my dreams, but I do not keep thinking about it day and night. I know that if I was able to return my sight, not thousands but millions of doors would be opened to me. It is something I can't change and perhaps will never be able to but I have come to accept myself and thankfully be accepted as I am. I know blindness sucks, blindness is BS, I sometimes consider blindness a misfortune but life goes on and luckily there are ways and resources to ade this form of living.
As I've said in another post, the best way of overcoming the barriers between a blind and a sighted person is communication. Through communication all the three examples or interpretations mentioned in Post 1 will become invalid to a sighted person. I have been able to satisfy the curiosity of many people about blindness through communication and explanations. Many people do not understand what you say, but when I changed some minds in regards to many misconceptions they had about blindness, I have felt an immenseley great relief.

2019-02-26 02:40:51

A well-educated counsellor will not do what you're worried about, Ironcross. They may never fully understand what it's like to be blind, but the good kind of counsellor - and trust me, they're out there - will ask questions and get a strong grasp on what it's like in order to help. They will teach ways to empower their clients and to make them feel good about themselves and to come to terms with their situation. They will, if it's present, help clients deal with any shame, guilt or sadness they feel at their loss. Counsellors can do this for addiction, for relationships, for grief, for trauma, and yes, even for acquired disability, whether it be of the physical or mental variety. That's their job. Some are very obviously better at it than others.

My take-away from this is as follows:

1. You're young, Zarvox, and this is actually to your advantage. From a neural perspective, you lost your sight at a relatively early age, and your brain probably remapped itself pretty speedily. People who lose their sight at a more advanced age often struggle to learn new tasks, or relearn old ones, in the absence of their sense of sight. I don't tell you this in order to say, "See? It's not that bad. Shut up". Not at all. Rather, I am saying that this is probably the worst it will ever get, and you're very likely to only go upward from here. You appear to be reasonably intelligent, and you're seeking help. Those are two strong points in your favour. Good on you. That's a good place to begin. But if there are moments or days or even whole stretches of time where you feel like you're overwhelmed by the whole thing, where you're feeling constantly misunderstood or misjudged or simply inadequate, just remember that as bad as it is, it's going to get better if you persevere.
2. Most blind people, whether that way from birth or having acquired the condition somehow, have faced increased and undeserved awe and respect from sighted peers for doing simple tasks. Likewise, they've also faced the assumption, sometimes unspoken and sometimes boldly stated, that being sighted is so naturally the right choice that we cannot help but wish for it, no matter our state of happiness or contentment. Frankly, if these people are fully sighted themselves, and have no other major disabilities, they're ignorant, and you're better off just shaking your head. They don't know what it's like, so while their chatter may be hard to ignore, it's basically just interference. Easy to say, hard to put into practice; believe me, I get it. If I've heard from one family friend that it must be awful not being able to see such-and-such, I've heard from dozens of them. It gets tiresome. I can't help with this too much, except to gently remind you that it's your own perspective that shapes your life experience. Feel free to advocate for yourself, and if you're able, to live by example. If you are able to find happiness and purpose and fulfillment for yourself, it will become harder and harder for these people and their errant words to affect you.
3. Last but not least, you may have no power at present over the loss of your eyesight, but you have plenty of power over the way you live your life, and the way you perceive things. I'm not going to go so far as to say that you can simply make happiness appear, and make all your negative thoughts disappear, if you simply shut out the latter and relentlessly focus on the former. I'm not that optimistic and I'm not that naïve. But what I will say is that positivity, self-discipline, self-awareness and personal regard go a long way. See yourself, as much as you can, as a person deserving of a good life, and try to make choices that further your goals, your dreams, your realistic aspirations. You have a right to want things and need things, and you also have a right to be upset when the world comes along and slams you in the teeth more times than you can frankly tolerate some days. The question is not whether or not you'll make mistakes; you will. It's not whether you will get knocked down, either; you will, and it won't be pretty sometimes. The best measure of a person's life is in their ability to learn, to process the experiences they are a part of, and to improve based on what they take in. Try your best to do that, and other things will very likely follow.

All very vague, self-help-style advice, I know, but this is what I do.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-02-26 03:47:55 (edited by Zarvox 2019-02-26 03:50:00)

@post10 thank you for the encouragement and the positivity, it helps more than you think. And I do believe you about it only getting better. I have just started this process and have shaped my mindset a little differently already and that has taken me a long way. Thinking of going to Louisiana center for the blind to have more help with acceptance, as well as brush up on skills.

I understand this forum is not suppose to be used for counseling group sessions, and sorry for sort of turning it in that direction, but you guys have helped me stay on my feet. If you would ever like to start a counseling group conversation, you can invite me to any other forum or platform that is appropriately fitting for that type of discussion.

And @post 9, I have not trained my sense of hearing much at all, so my sharpness and focus on sound isn't as magnificent as a lot of other blind people. If anyone has any suggestions of how to increase my range of hearing, and my level of focus to hear more, let me know, because that is a very important thing I need to have, but I do not know how to train my ears to listen since my mind has always wanted sight back and refuses to let sound be the main translator of information.

Thanks for everything you guys have told me, and again, if you are apart of any counseling groups or want to make one let me know, because I know this site is not meant to be for that. My personal opinion, a new room for it should be created, but I do not manage the site, so up to the people who do.

2019-02-26 04:00:11

You put this thread in the appropriate forum. The off-topic part of the forum can be used for pretty much anything as long as it's not breaking laws or flaming people, and this clearly does neither. In other words, you're fine here. Don't worry about it.

As far as training your hearing: there are things you can do, but I think the best thing is just to let your brain do its work. It will anyway, in time. It probably already has, just a little. If you have any sight, this may be a distraction, since you may be wanting to try and use your remaining vision to do what you used to do, with limited success. If you do have any sight, wearing sleep shades for brief periods of time (especially important at the start, there's no sense flooding yourself) may help. If you're totally blind, however, my advice is really just to go to a safe place that isn't precisely known to you (so, like, not your bedroom or something) and listen. Just stand still, or sit still, and listen. Pick out sounds, and identify what they are, and try and picture them around you. Imagine, for instance, you're in midsummer, lying in the grass on your back in a park. You can hear the rush of water way off to your right, but it sounds muted. You know there's a hill in that direction, so you can figure out that the muted sound of the water is from both distance and the contour of the land. Hear the high silky rush of tree-leaves above you and sort of behind you? Or the sound of feet crunching gravel on a footpath in the complete opposite direction? Stuff like that. Just put yourself in a safe, unthreatened space and allow yourself to listen. Don't worry about failing. Don't worry about time. Try and set aside a little freedom so that you can enjoy at your leisure. And go from there, teaching yourself to first hear sounds, then to recognize them, and then to start using them. It will take time, but you'll get there.

Your mileage may vary regarding the LCB/whatever training center you choose. From all the stories I've heard, I have some mixed feelings. They all seem very vaguely cultish to my way of looking at it (they have an insistence on sleep shades that I find can actually get in the way, and the way they approach orientation and mobility is controversial). It turns into a pretty heated topic, where proponents will rave about how wonderful and right it all is, while others will howl about just how ridiculous ehe whole setup is. I don't fall in either camp. I only advise that you do your research. Please don't let me dissuade you though; if you've done your due diligence already and think this place, or some other like it, would do you good, then I wish you the best of luck. I do know some people who've gotten a great deal of independence from such places.

2019-02-26 04:30:06

For me, walking the streets a lot with a cane improved the way my brain turns subtle sounds into useful information. When I had sight there was no way I could tell there was an obstacle in my way just by sound. I think you just simply have to give your brain no option but to start using audio to navigate. Canes are good for this because they constantly make a scraping sound on the pavement, and it's the changes in the quality of this sound that I use to detect obstacles before I hit them with the cane. If I didn't have the cane, I would have to make clicks or something.

2019-02-26 07:27:52

I started going blind when I was 10 and the biggest thing that helped me was going to the blind center in my area, and seeing an actual blind councilor to help me.  We'd talk through problems, and he had the actual perspective I needed to understand life as a bind person and it heped me so much.  I'm also blessed to have a Mom that made sure no matter what anyone said, she'd tell me I can do whatever I wanted to do, there'd just need to be a different way of doing it. 

But yeah, you simply need to tell yourself that you won't let feeling srry about not having vision rule you, and work through it.  There are some small tasks where you'll get annoyed and wish you had vision, but at the end of the day you need to just know that you're living your best life, and that would be the case whether you had vision or not.  As to the people that say those things you posted, I just think it's so stupid and you have to get bold and confront them about it.  Not rudely, but if someone says "Oh, I wish one day you'd be able to see" you just have to be liek "Why?  I'm happy the way I am."  or with the other comments, just say it doesn't work that way.  I usually answer things with sarcasm or humor, and that's been my defense mechanism towards people with well intentioned rudeness towards my disability.

I think your best bet is to find a Blind center in your area, they give you help for free (at least, mine did) and go from there!  Hope this helps.

2019-02-26 15:43:03

I am good at using humor in tense situations. But a lot of the time people don’t pickup the sarcasm or want to have pity instead of laugh

2019-02-28 19:50:11 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2019-02-28 20:00:47)

I recognised some of these mindsets, especially those praising people with disabilities by able-bodied people. This is also known as inspirational porn.
For me, getting my sight back is not a decision I have made solely based on the inconvenience of being blind. It is on a basis of having to comtend with severe and progressive hearing loss, though maybe I might want to get my hearing restored first, in that case. But, I have always been fascinated with being able to identify colour mechanical waves rather than electromagnetic ones. Throughout the stuff I did many years ago I learned about synaesthesia and other things, so this would provide a new learning curve to how I perceive the world. Having my sight and or my hearing restored wouldn't change my identity; it would just add on and enrich my experiences.
When I was at my high school's technical theatre programme, the teacher was working on the lighting board in the house, so the lights were all out. I, not knowing anything about that fact, went directly to the soundboard, which just happens to be adjacent to the lighting board. The teacher exclaimed how funny it was to see me walking and getting around well in the dark. I later read something similar in Thunder Dog, by Michael Hingson. He said that sighted people are too light-dependent, and they couldn't function without it. Similarly, most blind people I know are too sound-dependent and would collapse if they suddenly lost their hearing and not get up again. I, however, who cannot rely on my sight, and at least, some of the time cannot rely on sound, must resort to balance, touch, proprioception (how your body is positioned in relation to what you are doing in space), smell, taste, and perhaps a few other things. There's this thing called universal design, which is supposed to make things accessible for everyone. Most blind people want things that can talk to the or use Braille. While a deaf-blind person may not be able to use a talking ATM, a deaf-blind person, or even a blind person with significant developmental or intellectual disabilities might not be able to read Braille. The same goes for audio descriptions and closed captions.
Another thing I've noticed about some blind people (emphasis on some) is their lack of understanding and cruelty to the challenges toward people who have blindness, but who have multiple disabilities in addition to the mix. When I say blind people, I think of them to be just as diverse as the sighted population.
Just my thoughts from someone who has had to explain to blind people how I did music if I had trouble hearing it. I had perfect hearing up until the age of seven, and my hearing worsened gradually, so that gave me plenty of time to continue developing music appreciation. So, for this reason, I cannot play as many audio games as I used to be able to ten or twelve years ago. One of the games I really liked was Bongo, which was a Braille-dsiaply -based game. I wish there were more games like it.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-02-28 20:18:09

@16 that is a very interesting perspective of blindness. When someone is blind, it doesn't make basic tasks impressive, when someone is deaf it doesn't make basic tasks impressive, but because I do not understand what it is like to be both, it makes me think basic tasks are impressive, even know it is just combining 2 things that are not impressive. That is very strange. The lack of having experience is definitely a the leading factor for different mindsets. I know you performing basic tasks is not impressive, but the lack of experience makes it hard to think outside the box. If you couldn't do basic tasks extremely well, you wouldn't have been able to get on the internet and type that reply. So it is very hard to think about what someone has done, and then using that to say, oh, well because they did this, then everything else before that must be easy to them. Instead of using what we have seen you do, we use the lack of our own experience to determine what is and is not impressive or easy for you.

2019-02-28 22:38:44

Want an interesting look at how society would apparently collapse if most everyone lost their sight? Go read Day of the Tryphids.

2019-02-28 23:01:20

I was walking into an appointment to have my picture taken for the Senior class thing in high school. It was in the auditorium, and clear as a bell, I heard the principal at the front of the room explaining to the photographer at a whisper about how I was blind and this that and the other. I was coming into the back of the room, so had to walk down the center isle between all the tiers. The only thing I said was how the acoustics were really good in here. I don't think they got The thing is, it though., it always stood out to me that they didn't realize you could hear them talking in there? It's an auditorium, built to have excellent acoustical properties.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-28 23:14:15

I would like to have hearing like that. Since I can not take advantage of sight anymore, I would like to take advantage of my hearing. Post 16 really made me appreciate having hearing to lean on and use, and so I want to start training my ear to hear very good. I always hear stories like yours and wonder, how do they do that! Amazing. I am still having trouble saying that I can not do it, I know with practice I can, but for some reason I keep telling myself I will never get there, I think that is because it is my first 8 years of sight are telling me that, so I need to let it go if I want to improve my hearing.