2019-02-20 12:53:24

Hello guys. I have a friend who needs help with finding a right math tool for her. She is attending high school now and she needs a software which will allow her to write equations, formulas and other stuff with ease. MathML doesn't play a role here, as she's not such an advanced computer user. Any advice?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-02-20 13:33:02

Hi!
Take a look at this, I used it when in high school and it worked fine. It's payed, don't know if it's a problem.
http://www.lambdaproject.org/

2019-02-20 17:56:43

Thank you very much. If it really works as expected I'll try and get it for her.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-02-20 21:23:09 (edited by Rastislav Kish 2019-02-20 21:27:57)

Hi there,
hmm, she probably isn't that crazy to math like me, is she? smile
Anyway, Lambda is great choice, it covers nearly everything from basics like 2+2=4 to advanced multidimensional calculus, i has been using it for years to suit my school as well as personal needs.
Also I recommend to look at:
http://www.wjagray.co.uk/maths/ASCIIMathTutorial.html
Asciimath is a playn-text format to write mathematical equations using only ascii characters in very intuitive and straight-forward way.
I'm using it when writing notes from physics, I store them in txt where asciimath is a great way to represent equations efficiently and in a standardized manner. I use it also during exams, when we have paper tests, I receive a word document from my teacher and fill everything using asciimath format there.
Teachers can then read it without any special knowledge, because as I said, it is very intuitive. That's the reason why I prefer it over LaTeX, LaTeX is powerful, but you spend a lot of time just by decyphering what it wants to say in equations even if you know the syntax.

You might ask, when asciimath is there, what is the reason to use lambda?
Hmm, not easy question. Asciimath is very efficient and it isn't problem to use it for example to express a variable from complex equations.
I am not sure if I used a correct english word, by expressing S from following equation I mean:
p=f/S
p*S=f
S=f/p

Thisone is of course trivial, but it is possible to make much more difficult things.
Lambda has three major advantages:
- it has build in calculator, which can annoy you much when working with very small numbers, but with few tricks you can manage even those and pressing ctrl+f9 on a line with expression is very comfortable way to obtain results. No need to rewrite anything, just press one shortcut.
- Second advantage is in fact, how Lambda represent things. Textual description of elements is very good thing for faster orientation in complex equations or line with multiple versions of the same expression when you want to store exact steps.
- And third is good system of keyboard shortcuts, which can speed up writing equations.

That's it, I recommend to use Asciimath for physics and Lambda for mathematics, this combination showed like very powerful to me.

She might be also interested in checking out Mathtrax:
https://prime.jsc.nasa.gov/mathtrax/
It is a program developed by Nasa, which allows you to enter equation of a function and then is able to describe the curve textually and convert it to sound as well, so you can hear how exactly the function looks. it is very powerful utility, it allows you to set size of view area as well as for example set values for constants in your equation, so you can see how the graph changes when values you entered are used.

I think that is all what one student needs.

Best regards

Rastislav

2019-02-21 23:34:47

At Rastislav Kiss thank you for sharing your experience. I'll might give it a look. Thumbs up triggered smile

2019-02-22 03:11:19

Hi,
I'm using Lambda to prepare for a class I have in university in march or april for starting the mather of System Engineering. To program, I need to learn math.

73 Wj3u

2019-02-22 07:18:14

Now the question is is there a way to write clean equations say in a Word document or is it is there a way to write equations and have them evaluated and do actual math processing on them?

Option 1: I did all of the math in university with Word equations. This includes all reports, exams, assignments, practice and stuff. In a Word document, press alt + equals, this will pop-up an equation field. You can then start to type your equation, there are escape codes for pretty much all symbols. Jaws reads the equations pretty well. Two examples.

Example #1: f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 3
1. Press alt + equals to open the equation field
2. Type f(x)
3. Notice that if you press shift + left arrow, you will select the closing parenthesis.
4. Remove the selection and press space after the closing parenthesis. There is apparently no effect, but if you do shift + left arrow again, you will notice that you selected the whole (x) block. This is because parentheses allow you to do blocks in the equations. It's like if pressing space processes the last thing you entered.
5. Type equals, then x^2.
6. If you select three characters on the left, you will select x^2, however, if you press space and select one time to the left, you will notice that you chunked x^2 into a x with 2 as superscript. The caret symbol allows you to put stuff in superscript.
7. Type plus, then 2x, then plus, then 3.

Example #2: integral from x = 0 to T of log in base 2 of x
1. Alt + equals
2. We need the integral symbol, to do that write \int, many symbols can be summoned with the backslash sequence. Then press space to turn \int into the integral symbol.
3. We want x=0 in subscript and T as superscript, so type _(x=0)^T, then space, this will place your cursor into the argument of the integral.
4. Now we want log base 2 of something, type log_2, then space, it will put you in the argument of the log base 2.
5. Type x.
6. Remember that you are in the argument of the log base 2. If you press right arrow, you will be in the argument of the integral again, if you press right arrow again, you will be after the integral.

This is just to give an idea, there is a ton of tips to write equations, but I did that for many years so I found out all of the tricks with trial and error.

You can write pretty much anything, simple integrals, double triple integrals, fractions, superscripts, subscripts, logs, sums, symbols on top of other symbols, matrices of the size you want, logic symbols, set symbols, vectors and so on and so forth. The only symbol I never found was the implication sign, so I did => and never had issues with that.

Option 2: You can do math with matlab. Matlab is a Java program built to do numeric calculations being specially eefficient with matrices. The program is not really accessible, but I got away with it by redirecting log output to a text file, writing my scripts in a text editor and only using matlab by pressing F5 to run the script, then examine the output in the text file that opened automatically.

You can also use a Python interpreter. The package numpy is basically Matlab modules ported to Python. However, this will work pretty well with numeric calculations, but not with symbolic maths, where matlab while not being designed for that does a pretty good job with that. Python can do pretty much all numeric calculations though, it handles complex numbers, linear algebra and so on and so forth.

Anyways, this is how I did it.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2019-02-22 11:05:06

@Origine: interesting, how does Jaws read math equations in word to you?
I have tried it some time ago, but Jaws wasn't able to recognize many characters like letters, brackets etc. It read blank instead of being quiet like when it doesn't know concrete character.
I have Word 2013.

When I want to write a document with math involved, there is an asciimath javascript script:
http://asciimath.org/
Which after including in html header allows you to write equations just like this:
<p>A simple quadratic equation usually has form of `ax^2+bx+c=0`, for example `2x^2-10x+5`.</p>
output on result page is rendered of course in Mathml, thus very readable for us.

There is also an option to write in LaTeX, this can be useful if you need to export to formats like pdf or others, of course equations there are not that accessible like those on web rendered by mathml.

Both options are however for more serious mathematical use, a high school student who just wants to go through math lessons and satisfies with good notes probably won't need them.

And when we are already in high mathematics, have you already tried:
https://wolframalpha.com/
? Wolfram developers are very willinng toward blind community. Few years ago, when you entered an input, you got a result in form of unlabeled images. So I wrote them what was happening and after some time, the images got labels!
Some time later they changed graphic rendering algorithm. Images weren't any more a part of html, but instead rendered like a graphics on canvas, so screenreader wasn't able to even detect them. Thus there was no way to get their labels with results.
So I wrote my feedback again and now after you click on some block with results, a menu appears where you can choose to show results in playn-text format.

Regarding quality, wolframalpha is really amazing at this. it can give you tons of details on whatever math structure you enter in.
For example, if you write a function, you will get its plot, roots, complex roots, derivative, indefinite integral, series expansion and more.
If you write any general equation, including functions, or you can write system of equations as well if you wish, Wolfram will give you solutions, complex solutions and alternate forms, containing various possible simplifications as well.
Also you can ask for more concrete things like the first derivative of x^2+10. Because of natural language processing, you don't need to remember any syntax, but can ask just like this.
And finally, Wolframalpha is not only powerful calculator, but rather a semantic search engine. You can enter chemical equations, physical equations, questions from various part of science or just ask like "Who was the leader of USA in 1982?"

It is really powerful, I use it when I need to verify my mathematical conclusions.
They also have their own language - wolfram language. Philosophy behind it is bit more complicated, but it is similar to matlab, I haven't tried matlab so i can't tell if more or less powerful. Wolfram language allows you to perform complex mathematical calculations and build programs, while you can join your calculations with large knowledge database of wolfram to write equations like c = a + distance between Washington DC and Tokio.
it contains lot of features, like a native support for neural networks or computation in cloud. Wolfram has an editor called Mathematica to work with Wolfram language, but there is also wolframscript, what is a fully console environment like python.

If you are interested in mathematics and science, I definitely recommend to give it a try. smile

Best regards

Rastislav

2019-02-22 18:57:32

@Rastislav, when I was at high school, jaws was not able to read equations. I thought jaws improved over time, but perhaps it's when I switched to Word 2016. That probably makes sense because I started my bachelor's degree in end of 2014 and now that you talk about it, I think equation reading support came in during my bachelor's degree. Before I could read equations a bit with the remaining sight I had and I could type them basically by heart without having to verify what I just wrote. But it would read f of x equals integral from x equals 0 to T of log base 2 of x. When it's a big equation and I want to revise it, I make it read parts of it at a time, from the inside out.

I also strongly recommend Wolfram alpha, though I didn't use it because it gets very tempting to just use it all the time and I think you learn less with that. However, you can verify your results with it no problem, just don't forget that you don't have access to Wolfram alpha during exams tongue.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket