2019-02-20 05:13:31

Okay I am finally taking the plunge and actually creating a facebook account (partly I admit because I want to add textspaced to the db), I read a guide on NvdA and facebook and have tried the mobile site and the main site, but there are a couple of things which are odd.

Firstly the guide I found mentioned shortcut keys, that you could go into browse mode, but in neither the main facebook site, nor in the mobile version do I see these.
Secondly I keep getting the "do you know so and so" and a hole list of random people, I was wondering if there was a way to hide that.

Thirdly, when I checked the standard facebook, there seemed to be a lot of options I couldn't find on the mobile version. I see why the mobile version is more advised  for screen readers, but at the same time how do you find various bits, EG account settings for email etc.

Lastly, facebook messenger, there doesn't seem to be any ways of accessing facebook messenger through standard facebook which is strange. Also, when I was playing textspaced, sometimes the last message read correctly, sometimes not.

I am using Chrome and NVdA so any tips, addons etc much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-20 05:35:02

the best advice I can give RE: facebook is delete your account promptly. I'm serious, I know everyone is doing the whole datamining thing, but these guys are absurd about it, and take it to a ridiculous level that just isn't kosher at all with me. I put up with a lot from them, but delete your account now before you get sucked into it, and remember all the apps like insta and whatsapp all owned by facebook too, just get yourself out of the FB ecosystem ASAP if you value your privacy even a shred.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-20 06:22:08

The problem unfortunately, is that basically my lady and I are pretty much stuck in a town where we don't know anyone and are desperately trying to find some role playing, theatrical  opportunities, people who actually have brains, , yet whenever we try to ask we're told "look on facebook" or "ask on facebook"

This happened with two separate places I contacted today about tabletop gaming. Likewise, the music school where my lady and I met shut down, but still maintains a facebook group so it seems the only bloody way to actually find anything out.

I am no fan of facebook, I've actually had an account for a while but never used it since I find the interface cluttered and annoying, especially all of the "do you know Jo Blogs" and "jane has just eaten her breakfast" sort of messages, but it seems a necessary evil at this point in time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-20 06:57:44

I'm done with it no matter what, but if you use firefox, try m.facebook.com, for chrome, try mbasic.facebook.com. Those mobile sites will sort of make things a bit cleaner and faster.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-20 07:34:01

I agree with post 4, I use a combination of all the versions of the site, depending on what I want to do.

If I want to sort my news feed by most recent, then I have no choice but to use the main site.

If I want to read a bunch of comments, I'll use touch.facebook.com, because I find it easier to read nested replies when they load in the one page, rather than opening a new tab or window.

If there's a video I want to save to my computer, then I'll use m.facebook.com because it'll let you save to your computer, dunno why it lets you do that, stil, I'll use it while it works.

2019-02-20 09:01:01

I use Jaws and IE/Chrome, usually IE, and I prefer m.facebook.com, as it allows me to get at everything I want, except for posting reviews of games which I can't figure out at all.

I think the paranoia re: datamining is a little on the extreme side, myself, given how easily virtually any online presence can get you tracked. Every cell phone call you make can be tracked, just as one example. There comes a point where you have to ask yourself just how much isolation is reasonable for you, and I daresay if you're posting online to a forum that's easily accessible on Google, then...yeah. Not much else to say there.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-02-20 09:07:45

Hi.
I use m.facebook.com for private messages, because that's much easier to navigate in my opinion. The standard Facebook site acts weird when trying to send private messages.
On the mobile site, you just choose Messages, you get a list of conversations and when you click on one of the conversations, you have the edit field at the bottom of the screen. You also have a new conversation button.
I don't think you can hide the list of people you might know.
Regarding the settings screen: You open up the menu, scroll down to settings and there you have it. The settings screen can be difficult to navigate, but it's doable.
I find it easier to navigate Facebook on my iPhone than on the computer. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-02-20 10:43:21

Hello,
I use
https://touch.facebook.com/
To me, it is the easiest to navigate. To go from post to post you just press H for headings and to find the like button you navigate with B. Messages work well, although the first time you send a message, you must refresh the page to see that message you sent and the newer ones (don't know why this happens).
The shortcuts available with this site are from Alt+1 to Alt+5 from News Feed to Notifications. The main menu is where you will find many things like your profile, favourites, pages, groups, help menu, where you will find account settings, and the option to log out.
One thing you have to take in consideration for each mobile site, from Touch Facebook to Facebook Basic: you have to refresh the page to see if you have any new message, notification or friend request. If a new notification has come, for instance, and you go to notifications in the beginning of the page, you won't se "notifications (1)". But if you refresh the page, you will see the change.
Hope this helps.

2019-02-20 14:01:01

For messenger specifically, you could always use https://messenger.com

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-02-20 15:59:38

0@6 facebook and google both were caught abusing enterprise certificates on iOS. Both got thrown out of the app store, both got back in. Apple received a nice little bonus in their coffers I'm sure.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-20 18:48:01

Thanks for all the advice, especially Afrim. Would someone mind giving a quick explanation as to what this touchfacebook.com site is?
Also, when I've been playing text spaced, I notice I can use the h key to go a post back to look at what the game sends, is this not normally the case in fb messenger?

2019-02-21 10:59:05

Hello Dark,
Touch Facebook is a mobile version of the Facebook Site designed mainly for touchscreen devices. I like it because it is more compact than Facebook Basic or Mobile Facebook. If you have used m.facebook.com, you should get accustomed very quickly to Touch Facebook. Anyway, from what I'm seeing now, they have made the two websites very similar, if not identical. Try exploring the website for yourself and if you do not like the experience, take a look at
https://mbasic.facebook.com.
It is very similar to what the Mobile Facebook (m.facebook.com) used to be.