2019-02-19 21:02:13

How do I make letters say acute after it?
I've heard people talk and they have letters, and I press right arrow to read it letter by letter and it says something like e acute with one press... I know how accents and acutes and all tthat works, but how do I make them?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-02-19 21:04:56

Try the character mapper?

2019-02-19 21:24:15 (edited by flackers 2019-02-19 22:32:46)

If your language is set to English United Kingdom, you can just use ctrl+alt when you type vowels, but for some reason it doesn't work with it set to US English. If you're a jaws user you can type insert+4 and select them from a list of symbols. Or here's a list of alt codes that do the same thing.

2019-02-19 22:10:03 (edited by CAE_Jones 2019-02-19 22:12:24)

I think there's an NVDA addon that handles it like the Jaws command, but I forget what it's called.
Alternatively, if you have a numpad, and numlock is on so it types numbers, you can enter any ascii or unicode character by holding alt, typing the code with the numpad, then releasing alt. I don't have the Unicode memorized for many of these, because I mostly use the Latin-1 codes, which do not agree with Unicode.
So for é, it's alt+130. ç is alt+135. I forget which e is 137 and which is 138. I mostly just try things based on what I remember, then try nearby numbers if I was wrong.

But wait; there's more!
In Word, or at least in older versions, you could enter some accented characters with the ctrl+apostrophe (acute), ctrl+grav (grav), ctrl+semicolon (sedilla), etc, followed by whatever letter you want to put it on. There are several others, but the idea is ctrl+the symbol that looks most like the accent you want. Which is probably not helpful if you don't know what the accents and/or the symbols look like. Circcumflex is like ^, umlaut is two sideways dots, and the closest to that is a colon (two vertical dots), and the tilde is a tilde.

And in HTML, you can use things like é, and there's a way to use the &symbolname; thing for unicode values, but for some bizarre reason I can never remember what it is.
And in Word Pad, pressing alt+x converts whatever's to the left of the cursor to/from the hexadecimal unicode code. So if there are four numbers to the left of the cursor, alt+x replaces them with whatever unicode character that represents. Otherwise, it replaces whatever's there with the hex code.

Whew. Hopefully one of these is good enough. I use the numpad thing, because it works everywhere, and is usually quicker than other methods (though the Jaws/NVDA + 4 list might win in some cases). I use the wordpad trick if the hex is easier to work with than decimal (such as when trying to enter Braille characters).

[edit] Very important thing I left out about the numpad thing. For characters that aren't in ascii/Latin-1, you need to include an extra 0. So to get Yough, you'd type alt+0541, not just alt+541. [/edit]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-20 00:38:04

I don't need no screen reader addon nor no screen reader to put my symbols in for me é

bam, bask in the glory of it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-20 05:11:35

NVDA has an addon called incert symbols, but it hasn't worked for quite some time now.

It goes through the motions, but you don't get the results at the end.

In other words, you can pick the symbol you want, but pressing enter to incert the symbol does nothing.

2019-02-20 08:45:11

Doesn't it copy the symbol to the clipboard?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-20 11:57:21

Well, hungarian keyboard almost has all of them like á, é, í, ó, ö ő, ü ű and stuff. So if you have enough keys on your keyboard you could try with that.

2019-02-20 14:10:41

@5, how how how how how how how how how how how how how ow how how how how how how? how how how how how how how how how how how how how how ow how how how how how how!
That is to say... Could you tell me how you did that please haha?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-02-20 15:55:42

turn numlock on, hold alt, hit 1, 3, 0 on the numeric keypad, release alt. I've been using those for like a long ass time, since I was in middle school.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-20 18:57:18

☺é
O it did a smily face? wat?

----------

2019-02-20 19:39:58

Because I can, and no this isn't spam:
Î'm héré tò tälk tô yôù ãbóùt thésé fün çhãrãçtérš thât Í çán mákê. hàhàhàhàhàhàhàhàhàhàhàhàhàhàhàhàhà. íšn't thíš fûn? ššššššššššššššššûššššššššššûššššššûššššššššššššûššššššššššššûššššššûšš

----------

2019-02-20 23:34:12

Sorri if this is a stupid question, but For what this symbles are needed?

2019-02-21 01:40:58

Accents and other similar symbols are used to influence sounds of vowels and some consenents, for example, typing a word with an é in it might make you say ay instead of e, or something similar.

----------

2019-02-21 01:42:21

for things like some other languages

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-02-21 03:46:34

@7, that's what I thought as well, but sadly it doesn't.

So either I'm doing something wrong, which I highly doubt, because it use to work in the past, or it really is broken.

2019-02-22 03:13:43

For me Spanish latin american keyboard hass all acute accents á, é, í, ó, ú and ý.

73 Wj3u