2019-02-17 23:56:14 (edited by austingrace 2019-02-18 01:57:34)

Hey guys. Not sure if this one has been done already. If it has, I'm sorry. So what was your first computer? For those of us that produce audio what was your first audio production set up? For me, my first computer was a Dell dimension 2400. It was a bass model but my 16 year old self did not know that or care about all of that. I just knew I had my own computer so on went JFW 4.5. Back then, narrator was not nowhere near it is today. My first audio production set up was a usb soundblaster connected to a dell Latitude d610 and my mic was a headset mic.

Modifications to post above:
On second thought, it may have been JFW 5.0. Whatever JAWS was brand new in June of 2004 was what was on the dimension.
OK, technically my first computer was an Apple 2e but I don't remember much about it. I think it only had one disc drive. If you had 2 disc drives back then you were the man. LOL

2019-02-18 00:17:35

a Packard Bell some other model name or number that I don't know. It was a desktop with a monitor on top, not a tower, it ran Windows 3.1.1, had a 3.5 inch floppy drive and one CD-ROM drive. The monitor had embedded speakers that actually sounded half decent.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-18 00:25:14

my first ever computer was a BBC micro with a massive 32k of memory. had some pretty cool games though.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-02-18 00:28:09 (edited by flackers 2019-02-18 00:36:25)

A Sinclair ZX Spectrum. It was a really small computer with rubbery keys that you plugged into a TV like a games console. Only ever used it to play games, apart from one time when I spent hours copying out a load of code just to have it slowly reproduce a Union Jack on the TV one pixel at a time: One of the biggest anti-climaxes of my life. To play games you connected a cassette player, and played a cassette to load the game, which in my case were all in black and white because I bought it off my friend, and I think he dropped it at some point. I asked a TV repair guy about it while he was fixing my parets' TV, and he said I don't know much about these things, then unscrewed the back, touched something with his screwdriver, and the colour came on. I looked at him like he was some kind of magician. My first recording setup was a Fostex 4 track, again cassettes, and a zoom 9000 guitar processor. Plug the guitar into the zoom, and the zoom into the 4 track and go. It must have sounded awful, but I had tons of fun.

2019-02-18 00:37:34

Wow.
Mine was a keynote gold toshiba t 1850.
256kb mono graphics card which I cheated the bios to make colour so I could steal its memmory.
toshiba dos 5, updated to ms dos 6.22 with toshiba enhancements pack.
Wordperfect 5.1 and all the keynote stuff mastertouch1.32 keysoft 1.33f.
a true 386 cpu, 4mb of ram and 80mb hard drive.
Later on I dropped it and had to scrounge for bits, the drive became 60mb with a drivespace compression software making 120mb compressed volume, quemm 97, norton utilities 7, norton os overlay 8, and everything else.
My first production system was probably my old toshiba tecra a9 unit, with a realtech hd card and effects.
I didn't have much else.
Ironically, this hp db0149au is my first entertainment/gaming grade small workstation.
Its a big step up from the workhorses I had and a lot cheaper.

2019-02-18 00:50:32

@4, lol I was posh, I had a floppy drive for the bbc with those old 5 and a quarter inch disks that were actually floppy. all my friends were jellous because I could load games in seconds instead of waiting 10 minutes to usually have them crash.

2019-02-18 01:21:00

Hahaha. Yeah, nothing worse than listening to that scribbling sound for ten minutes, and then having it not load.

2019-02-18 03:33:31

just for fun though, my first PC was a Toshiba T1800 if I remember the model rite. 2mb or ram, a 42mb hard drive and a grey scale screen running dos 5. had a speech synth in but I can't remember the model and I ran hal on it. no sound card, just bleeps. and yet at the time, it ruled. 386! most of our school computers were 286. them were the days. now I've got a 4.2ghz 6th gen I7 with 32gb ram, a 240gb ssd system drive, a 4 tb secondary drive, 2gb ATI video card etc. I still miss my bbc micro though. grins.

2019-02-18 04:44:01

First ever computer was an eMachines desktop running Windows XP. Good for the early two-thousands, complete with 400 MB of ram and 50 GB of hard drive space, and a nice modem next to it to give it the internet, which was AOL before ATNT came in.

2019-02-18 05:16:33

Hi,

Like 9, my first machine was an eMachines Desktop, however this guy had 3 GB of ram and a 300 gb hard drive. Very nice for it's time, 2008. Oh and an AMD dual core 2.2 GHZ CPU.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2019-02-18 06:03:35

@10, you got some nicer machine than what I had in the olden days. Hope yours didn't end up having reboot loops near the end of its life though.

2019-02-18 06:04:20

Man whachu talkin' bout that thing bluescreened all the time.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!

2019-02-18 08:03:04

You are not wrong, @12. Blue screens and a host of other problems that made Windows Vista look good by comparison. Well at least for me.

2019-02-18 13:13:51

Not counting those early computers that were mostly used as primitive games consoles, my first proper Windows-era PC was also an eMachines running XP. They were obviously more popular than I thought. Mine conked out after 2 years or so.

2019-02-18 13:31:01

I had to replace the motherboard on an eMachine system once. I did some research and spoke to a guy from the company. turned out their budget models were made on contract for companies such as pc world in the UK and best buy or what ever. they put 20 quid intel boards in them that were designed to burn out after 3 years.

2019-02-18 14:39:10

That's exactly what a PC guy told me happend to mine.

2019-02-18 15:41:55

Well god I feel privillaged. My first machine was a Samsung nc10, with an atom n270 running at a quite respectable 1.6ghz with 1gb of ram (not sure what type) and a 160gb sata harddrive. It came with windows xp home preinstalled, but if I remember right either my Dad or uncle upgraded it to windows 7. I started with jaws running in 40 minute mode, then somehow stumbled on NVDA and stuck that on there. I had a lot of fun with old games, clasic pipe, trupenum 1 and 2, hunter, etc.
As a sidenote, after upgrading the ram to 2gb and installing a 128 gb ssd, it quite happily now runs windows 8 pro without to many issues. My only now gripe is the b/g wi-fi.

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2019-02-18 16:13:06

I can't remember my first computer model but it is a desktop running Windows 95 with only 64mb of RAM. I installed Window Eyes 4.2 on it gfrom someone's disk and it went from super slow to finally unusable. I didn't had a computer for a year after that.

2019-02-19 07:40:14

Interesting, my EMachines PC is still working to this day.

2019-02-19 11:55:34

My first windows PC was some sort of a HP compaq, with a dual core, what I'm assuming to be AMD athlon from 2009, upgraded to win10 1511 at the time. 3 GB usable RAM, 32 bit, of course. I lost 8 keys from the keyboard, had to factory reset, it was so damn slow. Fan would constantly spin, it was so bad, I was able to use the thing as a portable radiator the cold days. It got up to the point where I asked my school to replace it, and that's where my windows adventure began. I should point out, just as I got my new laptop, windows crashed on the HP completely, so that was also my first time of losing data. I never forget, I was so excited to install 1607 on 7 year old hardware... had I known about boot menus at the time, it would have landed on win7, or vista, whatever product key was at the bottom. But I was new to things back then. If we're talking of more than just windows, my first adventure goes back to 2012, to a brailleNote mPower, with a wired compact flash card as connectivity, which had a network cable attached, which then went into my router. 32 MB virtual memory, now those were the days when I couldn't even launch a basic of the most basic web sites. It ran keysoft 8.1 at the time, which probably didn't help. I mean, windows CE 4.2 was outdated even back when I had it, so...

2019-08-26 07:58:54

Good old emachines. smile My grand father had one and every time you powered it on, the fan revs up to 100%. LOL I was never overly impressed with emachines but they were cheap computers back in the early 2000s and everyone wanted a computer back then. I forgot about this topic. Some of you guys are way out-dating me on this technology. smile

2019-08-26 10:19:07

Hi.

Well, my first machine was a hulk of a laptop back in 2003, it was an Medion laptop with 192 or 256 Gigs of ram, a 40 Gigs harddrive and some sort of single core 1.5 GHZ CPU, I guess it didn't have the graphics card.

It was primmarily used as a braille printer input device for my elotype typewriter on which I printed worksheets and the like with this machine.

it came with Windows XP and I sstarted out with the screenreader Virgo which then evolved into Cobra which then evolved into company is bancrupt in 2018.

I started with jaws with version 7.10, later upgraded to 8.0 and then switched to NVDA. I don't miss that gunk of a laptop which is now almost 20 years old and still lyes somewhere around in my computer corner, and still actually works, I sometimes power this thing on for fun to see what's still on there.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-26 10:56:02

My first pc was a windows xp running on two cores with not even 1tb of hard drive space.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2019-08-26 16:32:06

mine was an apple I mac from 1998.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2019-08-26 16:51:21

The first truly mine computer was a Del laptop, from around 2003 ish. IIRC it had a pentium III, 256? megs of RAM and a 20 gig hard drive. For the first year that I had it, it was basically just a gaming machine. Then a year later I got Window-Eyes 4.5 for it along with some additional hardware like an Alva Satellite 544 braille display. This is when I ran into a small problem because in the US and UK, Window-Eyes never had DRM. But in Poland, they were using a USB dongle, and this Del laptop only had a single USB port. Eventually we got someone to help us set everything up with a hub. I have some of my fondest memories on this computer, where I basically self tought myself how to use Window-Eyes, Windows and the internet.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>