2019-02-14 09:34:16

Hello.
I have learned a lot of things during my time here at NCBVI.  Due to these experiences, it has made me want to start an independence training center based off of my own creative vision. I wanted to see if it would be worth it to do it though, so I decided to ask you guys some questions. Before that though, I think I should talk about a few things.
The center does sleep shade training, I. E., You’re literally putting on sleep shades and training with them on. The reason for this is because they want everybody in the center, regardless of visual acuity, to function the same way.  You have five main classes, (Braille, Communications, Home Management, Shop, and Travel). You also have some extras, such as Vocational Seminar and otherr activities. This all sounds good on paper, but I personally believe the exicution is a little flawed. You see, a lot of these activities are mandatory, meaning you have to go weather you like it or not. These trips could be anything from going to the mall and spending a day there to going to a hocky stadium, which is what we did last time. The night we went to the hocky game, the wind chill was -35 outside, and the inside temperature in the stadium had to be at least 40. We were all cold, and I think even the staff were miserable that night. Nevertheless, they still made us go to the game because, “it’s a learning experience.” I personally do not believe in inforcing an activity/class onto a student if that’s not the particular secter of learning they want to go for. I think they should run these centers like colledges, i.e., allow you to sign up for certain courses. Activities should always be optional, regardless of the location/setting.
Now, lets discuss the Vocational Seminar assignment I was given. I was told that I needed to find five companies that I wanted to work for, pick the top three, and research information about them. Note that they strictly said five companies. It doesn’t matter if you want to run your own business, or in most of the students cases if you’re already running your own business or otherwise found where you want to work. Regardless of the currentwalk of life you’re going through, weather it be running your own company or you’re a retiree, you still have to pick five companies you’d consider working for. I informed them that I do not intend on working for anybody because I’m also going into comedy, and they told me that I didn’t necessarily have to work for those companies. If I wrote what they wanted me to write, I would effectively be writing lies. I think we should be focussed on furthering the individual student’s career, and picking out companies may not necesarily be their choice of career. Also, like activities I believe voke seminar should be optional.
So, there’s my thoughts. I may have been rambling a little bit because I confess I am getting tired, so I’ll end the post off with some questions.
1. What do you guys like or dislike about the training centers we have now?
2. Is this something you’d like to partisipate in if I decided to make it happen?
3. Do you have ideas for me to consider?
My plan is to make this thing nonprofit, and I’d like to branch it out through not only multiple states in the US, but other countries as well. After I leave the training center, I plan on going back to North Carolina and going to college to get my masters degree in business. I would also like to know if there are centers that already do the things I’m trying to do. I can look up centers on Google, but the only true way to find out what a center and it’s staff are all about is to experience their techniques first hand which I unfortunately can’t do very easily, so asking you guys is the next best thing. After all, no point in trying to start a center if people are already doing things the way I planned to do it, that would just be pointless reinvention of the weal. Anyways, I can’t wait to hear back from you guys. Take care, and have a good night.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-02-14 11:14:38 (edited by CAE_Jones 2019-02-14 18:10:33)

My post on LCB:
link
(Post 95, if the link is uncooperative.)
I ran the numbers at one point on cost, since some people (some more jokingly than others) would occasionally express interest in starting a training center of their own, and found that it had to cost at least $1-2million per year to run. i'm not sure where that's going to come from, other than the government, rich people, and charitable organizations.

I've always been negatively inclined toward forced activities (I am so glad I got out of there before Mardi Gras), but I do feel like those were largely helpful, and not entirely as I would have predicted. For example, when I started college, incoming Freshmen had to go on an "orientation trip", for, like, bonding with classmates or some crap like that, and we were given a few options of where to go. I found the whole thing super irritating and just refused to make a decision, thus winding up in the one with the most room left by the deadline. As it turns out, one of these trips was too one of the places LCB took us to, and that trip was more or less the highlight of post-2010, when, given that same option 10 years earlier, I rejected the whole thing out of hand.
So I'm kind of torn on this whole electives and optional activities thing. On the one hand, being forced to go on a fieldtrip to the nearest town with a bowling alley for no apparent reason was pretty unpleasant. OTOH, in theory, activities would be offered based on the value they're expected to bring the trainees. Having alternatives to woodshop would be good (lots and lots of people complain about that, some due to the lack of practical utility, most seemingly because "eww, that's coded working class and masculin, and I am sooo much better than that", but regardless of why...). IDK, this is a hard one, more options means more cost, and you have to trust your trainees to not make terrible decisions that would waste exceptionally rare opportunities. I have no idea where the balance leans, but given how much of a detestable waste college was for me, compared to the overall positive-if-in-need-of-improvements experience at LCB, it's hard for me to conclude that going more college-like is necessarily as good an idea as it initially sounds.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-14 14:45:31

I think for a training center, depending on the age of each client, different things should happen.
For me, even though I'm an adult, I really love the idea of cosplay, and I love the theatre, so having options based on those fields would be great. Cosplay and comic cons are more of a hobby. But for instance if someone wanted to, say, create a costume based on an audiogame A Hero's call, the staff could work with the client, and the developer, to help with this dream. It could then act as an art project for their portfolio.
Then, there's the matter of a younger person. If a young person is doing well, and, say, loves games like Super Liam, or Bokurano Daiboukenn, or Incert audiogame here, or someone wants to surprise them for their Birthday, imagine waking up to an audio file/message from one of their favourite audiogame characters/universes. Heck if the training center got noticed enough and there was someone who really liked a tv show/anime/cartoon or something, imagine getting voice actors on board. Yep that's probably a big ask but we can dream, right? Point is, it's about learning through positive reinforcement.

2019-02-14 16:27:58 (edited by Rashad 2019-02-14 16:28:20)

The ability to do individual courses. I, for example, have never struggled with mobility ETC, in fact I'm quite confident I could complete the NFB drop thing today even if I didn't know the city as long as I was able to use GPS and or ask people for directions, but am completely hopeless when it comes to cooking, for example. I'd love to spend some time working on that skill, but frankly couldn't really care less about many of the other courses that are mandatory  in such places.
also, I find it strange that many of these programs don't go for the college moddle, where you're free to do things or not do things (if you skip a class it's your money you're throwing away not theirs). Don't they only take adults into these programs? Adults are capable of making their own choices in life, hence being classified as adults.

2019-02-14 18:01:14 (edited by flackers 2019-02-14 18:09:13)

Oh right. I'll delete my comment. I thought this was aimed at school kids. I should have read the op properly. It just sounded that way with the stuff about being forced to go places you didn't want to go. I did attend a rehabilitation centre for people who'd lost their sight, but nothing was mandatory. You chose whatever you  thought was most useful for you personally, and that was that. So I absolutely agree, adults can make their own decisions about what they want to do.

2019-02-14 18:47:38

At 4: GPS and asking for help are forbidden in LCB's drops, but expected for out-of-town assignments (including both bus-travel and the solo out-of-town trip). I think the point is to demonstrate that being lost without help is not a death or exile sentence, and/or to demonstrate that you can get along if your phone dies and there's nobody around to help, or some such. This is specifically for drops and routes, keep in mind; I was encouraged to ask for directions more often in every other context.
I'm still uneasy about looking to college for inspiration. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but colleges are devouring whole generations, economically and life-skills-ly. 30 is the new 18, and 18 was the new 16, and before that, 13-15 were kinda merky and situation-specific, with, like, apprenticeships and stuff. The generation that waves the

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-14 19:26:14

The PTC in Victoria, British Columbia is built on the same ideas you have, check out pacifictrainingcenter.ca
It's a big undertaking, took them like 4 years to get it all together, but if you think your capable we can always use more of them.

2019-02-14 20:13:50

I love this topic, and, as usual when these sorts of things come up, I'll probably have a ridiculous amount of things to say.

First, regarding the point about researching companies, I wouldn't personally make a stink about that. I don't think it was literally meant for you to apply to said companies, or to even like them, but to get used to doing shitty grunt work that no one in their right mind would want to do, because that's what a lot of employment entails. It could also build your research skills, which are a great thing to have.

About the mandatory activities, though, I tend to agree with you there, but I don't think all training centers do that. The one I attended in Pittsburgh had optional activities that you could sign up for, and while they encouraged you to go, no one forced you to. Now, classes, on the other hand, that's a different story, and I think there should be electives alongside the core classes. Think of the standards, communications, cooking/home management, different centers call that one different things, mobility, etc. as remedial courses. I cringe at using this comparison since that has such a negative connotation, but it's the best I've got. Everyone needs to take them before they can move onto the electives. I've always said, for example, that wood shop shouldn't be forced on everyone. I don't care about gender stereotyping, but I don't see how building a cabinet builds character, either. There are much better ways to do that. If someone finds it helpful, more power to them, but I'm not a fan of the heavy-handedness they display, in this instance and in many others. No one gets to decide what methodology is best for every single blind person on the planet, and I feel that's what the NFB tries to accomplish. In some cases, that can be downright harmful.

Speaking of harm, no training center should ever, EVER force its clients to wear blindfolds. I also am calling a spade a spade here, they are blindfolds, not sleep shades, calling a turd a chocolate bar does not make it more palatable. Not only would I feel violated if someone told me that one of my senses is, for all intents and purposes, useless and something to be ashamed of, I can also think of situations in which it wouldn't be safe to just slap a blindfold on someone and call it good. Obviously, these centers have figured out ways to minimize the damage, or they wouldn't still be operational, but it only takes one accident, and I think they're all living on borrowed time.

Before the past couple of years happened, which sapped my ability to care about or be motivated to do much of anything, I wanted to build a website which would be a directory of sorts for all the training centers, both here in the US and internationally. As a side note, several years ago, I had a discussion on a different forum with a lot of people about training centers, and I questioned why they weren't really a thing in other countries. A couple of people responded that, because American culture is so obsessed with self-sufficiency, and most other cultures are more lax about it, that's why other countries don't tend to place such high importance on building such centers. That answer made sense then, and still does today, even more so now that I've gained more experience with such things. I was told point blank that we're lucky to have access to these centers, and I suppose if you've never seen anything like it before, and you want to become more independent but were never taught a lot of those skills, that makes perfect sense. Anyway, the reason I still think that having such a website would be a good idea is that usually, the sites that the training centers host are a mess. They're littered with testimonials, which isn't a bad thing; they're a business, they have to do that. However the sites are often out of date, and in rare cases aren't easy to navigate with a screen reader. it is also damn near impossible to find reviews of such places. I wonder, and I say this with all due respect and am not trying to be accusatory, if any of the centers discourage clients from speaking out about any negative experiences they may have had. I say this because, outside of a couple of fringe cases, I have never heard anyone speak ill of training centers or their methods. In the age of blogs and podcasts, this is pretty strange. Usually, the only independent reviews you can find, particularly of NFB centers, are overwhelmingly positive, and said people tend to look down their noses at other centers which don't employ the structured discovery method. So,where else can you go for unbiased answers? These experiences spread by word of mouth a lot of the time, and we all know that's not the most reliable source of information. This is why I thought a website would be a good jumping off point. The way I picture it working is this:
1. First, we could gather any available information about each training center in existance. Submissions would be welcome, of course, since I'm sure there are some which fly a little bit under the radar.
2. Each place would be listed with a blurb about where it's located, methodology, location, etc. Representatives from each training center could also submit any pertinent information they wanted the directory to list.
3. Community reviews would be the highlight of this place. Anonymity would be allowed, since there seems to be such a stigma attached to speaking out about negative experiences that people may have had. Of course, the staff from the centers could rebut said reviews if they see fit, but balance is key, and I think that balance would speak for itself, no matter which way the reviews swing.
4. There would also be a forum where people could get advice about such topics as: Should I attend a training center? What is the experience like? What is structured discovery? What is the environment of such a center like? How can I handle a grievance I have with an instructor/other client? and many others. One of the things which deeply disturbs me is that such information is not readily available. It's 20-frickin-19, there is no excuse for that. From all the anecdotes I've heard, and from my own experience, usually you ask your state rehab counselor to pay for your stay there. They, either due to financial constraints or ignorance, tell you which center you'll be attending, end of story. Now, you can fight that, and some folks are successful at doing so, but in order to fight it, you've got to be able to make an informed decision. Information is too thin on the ground for that to happen in most cases, particularly for someone who is newly blind, older, not tech savvy, or just simply lazy. I can imagine the situation is even more complex in countries where there may only be one training center, never mind places where there is none.

Right, well, I think I've rambled enough for now, but as I said, this is a subject which you really don't want to get me started on, haha.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-02-14 21:28:16

Realistically though, are services for the blind really that bad in the states that people are having to go private?
Here, if I need something taught to me such as O&M, free help is just a phone call or email away, and I can be assured of something being set up within the next week or two max depending on the urgency of the request. Yes, it's true I live in the second biggest city in this country so that might be part of it, but at the same time I know of people who have had O&M instructors, occupational therapists, etc flown to them while living in a remote community in middle of nowhere northern Quebec. And this is keeping in mind that other Canadians tell me that Quebec is the complete worst at providing anything compared to what's available to them.
So is it really that bad? If so, in what way? does it just not exist, is it not timely, is it ineffective.
Keep in mind I spent the majority of my childhood in Saudi Arabia, so I get what it's like to not have services and to have to make do with what you've got. But even there, organisations for the blind exist and provide some training in the basics of at least O&M and braille usage (not the best training, mind you, but still better than nothing, enough that people were comfortably continuing into college). Are you telling me that America is worse?
Or is it that the crazy NFB fundamentalists have wormed their way into services, convincing people that it's better to fall off a cliff and die than to ask a sighted person for directions (that NFB drop thing is not sitting well with me anymore).

2019-02-14 22:07:21

If you're an adult, and you need mobility training, you can speak with your voc rehab counselor and request such services, but a lot of times there are waiting lists, and even so, it has to align with your goal of going to college or obtaining employment. So, if you just want to get acquainted with a new community or something, they won't foot the bill for that. If you need someone to show you around a college campus a couple of times, that's fair game. Training centers have been accepted as the standard in part because there are a lot of blind kids who were very sheltered, and were never taught basic skills for being a functional adult. While it's easier than ever to figure that kind of stuff out, some people lack the motivation to do so, or feel entitled because of their upbringing, so that's why I think the model still exists as strongly as it does today, and has gone largely unchanged, at least in the case of the NFB centers. Other centers which don't necessarily adhere to the structured discovery model, such as the one I attended, have started allowing in ore folks who have multiple disabilities in addition to their blindness.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-02-15 04:14:35

I think some would argue that services literally everywhere are that bad, and the privately-operated centers work because there's enough demand (and also the government is almost always the one fronting the bill).
Just leaving it at that oversimplifies immensely, but I wouldn't say it's wrong. Incomplete, though.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-15 04:49:05

Oh. The punstop thing ate most of my other post. It was long and full of stuff. Huff.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-15 06:06:05 (edited by defender 2019-02-15 06:27:38)

god that happened to me too, at least mine was short. should have used ctrl shift t to reopen the tab and do it again that worked for me. At least you know for next time...

I'm heading to the PTC tomorrow actually, so I'll be happy to talk about my experiences if anyone wants to know.
I've also heard mostly good things about those centers, though everyone talks about how damn hard it was both mentally and at times physically.
I've heard a few people mention how they don't like the NFB propaganda being drilled into their heads, down to being required to use NFB canes even if you already have one and yours is better.
This could be for identification, and the motivational videos do have a purpose as well, but I can see how it could rub people the wrong way and probably would bother me too. Especially the part where they try hard to get you into the NFB ecosystem as it were after graduation, kinda like a cult LOL, probably for the PR.
Also the hole having to take classes for stuff you already know thing is pretty common and really annoys people, since they don't even just let you demonstrate your capability in order to skip it.
That said, I haven't met anyone that didn't say that despite those things they learned allot and would totally do it again.

2019-02-15 16:14:10

One of the biggest things lacking in blind people even after their stunts at training centers is knowledge on how to manage their finances. We have a severe under appreciation of the value of money because most of us get it for free. And it doesn't seem like the training centers make effort to get rid of our overspending and wasteful spending habits. I used to know a girl who, even after staying at a training center, had no idea why she was being charged a deposit on her light bill when she opened a new account (she thought it happened to everyone.)

2019-02-15 17:43:58

That happens if they don't like your credit. They may let you get around it by having a guarantor cosign the account. After a year, the cosigner drops off and it's your account and fully your responsibility. Still, the deposit is a one time fee, shouldn't be recurring.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-15 19:38:14

That's a legitimate point. Since so many blind people receive SSI, no one ever thinks to teach us about things like filing taxes.

2019-02-19 05:36:53

Hmm, the center I'm at does teach finance, but haven't gotten into it yet, so I hope they talk about that stuff.

2019-02-19 13:32:39

Why the ins and outs of taxes are not taught in high school (at the latest) is beyond me. Being able to write essays on how a piece of literature has something to do with sex because it has trees in it, and trees are long, hard, and produce fruit, is clearly far more important to teach students than how to not get arrested for evading the taxes they barely knew existed.
(Disclaimer: I actually liked high school English. This does not mean that people get more value from learning how to make literature mean whatever they want it to through some Cabala-esque symbol shenanigans than they would get from learning boring-but-necessary skills. Maybe the accountant lobby has something to do with it, because it's not like adding a conspiracy theory ever made a paragraph worse, right?)
In fifth grade, my math teacher did actually take a day to teach the class how to write checks. This is where pre-tertiary financial education ended. And being that writing checks while blind is somewhat challenging[1], it's hard to say it was especially helpful.
[1] I have seen something like a signature guide, but for checks. I think that was at WSB? For the 5 seconds I had to look at it, I was trying to remember that lesson in fifth grade, so as to identify which section was for what.

There wasn't anything financial taught at LCB, and that's a little bit worrying. Mostly I was told I shouldn't cash checks at Wal-mart. But it was the first time I'd ever needed to cash a check (or use a card, for that matter), so it wasn't completely useless in that regard. I got the impression that asking would have resulted in advice, but mostly I just got sent on a travel assignment to a bank once, and since it was conveniently located, just started cashing all the checks there.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-20 01:57:53

I wonder if there are any podcasts, Youtube videos, even explainers that break this stuff down in an idiot-proof manner? I remember that NBP used to carry a book series, it was called something like, "The Real You Guides". There was one for opening a bank account, one for apartment hunting, I think, and I can't remember if there were more. I do recall that they weren't specifically written for blind high school or college students, but that the NBP had someone go in and add more relevant tips into the mix. It's possible that I still have them, having bought the digital bundle when it got discounted, but I'm not sure, and anyway, they were written at least 10 or 15 years ago, so I'm not sure how relevant such information would be. Also, I really don't recall it having to do with taxes or anything like that, but that sort of straightforward breakdown is what I would be after.

2019-02-20 09:46:59

Hi.

one question in advance, as someone not living in the US and not knowing many things about the NFB, what is that NFB way of doing things which they hammer into peoples heads as some in this thread have stated? What are they trying to do there?

Now, the situation in Germany is that there are no specific training centers for the blind, most of the things like O&M, household skils and the like are taught in blind schools, next to the regular school stuff. When you are not in school anymore and you need help with orientation in a new city for example you can ask for o&m training by going to your eye doctor, telling them that you need help, a peace of assistive technology or what ever related to your blindness. You get a paper from the doctor which you then have to send to your health insurance partner who then set up your training and the like.
This is also the way to go when getting things like screen readers, braille displays for example.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-02-20 11:33:33

It sounds like the way it works in Germany isn't too different from the way it works in the US. The Training Centers are available in part because people felt like they weren't getting enough from the standard stuff, and also for people who go blind later in life, or for people who want to set aside a short amount of time for training, instead of interrupting whatever schooling / work they're already engaged in.
TBH, it's hard to say what the NFB mindset is, based just on LCB. Instead, I'd point to some of their lawsuits, protests, and Banquet Speeches. Really, it's more the Banquet speeches, and General Session speeches, from the National Conventions. Audio and sometimes transcripts of these are available ... somewhere. At the most extreme, you had people singing "Glory, Glory, Federation!" which is a weird way to combine militant-like and cult-like qualities into three words. At best, it's "Everyone tries to keep us down, but we can do better if we overcome their Ablism!" IME, the speeches tend to be in the middle.
LCB defaulted to playing past speeches when there was nothing better to do for Seminar, and anyone in the program at the time of National Convention had to attend, General Sessions and Banquet included. (Sneaking out of General Session after being seen was sometimes viable. They try to arrange to have everyone from LCB in the same area, and there were always sighted staff members in the middle of that area, but the place filled up so quickly and chaotically that this was not an enforceable setup. Or I guess it could have been, if they'd really wanted, but I managed to escape early a couple times, so meh.)
Other than that, it's mostly the Structured Discovery-based "Be more confident/assertive" thing, with a dose of "Be more independent!". You'd think that acknowledging the need to occasionally ask for information or assistance would be in opposition to that, but apparently Americans are just really terrified of asking strangers for information, for some reason. (There were students from outside the US, mostly Mexico and Canada, and Puerto Rico depending how you count Puerto Rico.)

I wonder if maybe this is a good time for the seemingly annual reminder that the US is a vast, pedestrian-unfriendly half-continent, whose regulations on businesses and services vary wildly with decade. According to Google Maps, my parents' live about 5.1mi (8.6km) from me, as the crow flies, and neither of us is really on the outskirts of town. I have no idea if there's a single sidewalk on the shortest path by road, and they are about 1mi / 1.6km from a bus stop. I should add that thorough bus coverage here is quite new, within the past 5-7 years or so. Outside of big cities, passenger trains don't really exist. There are a few intercity trains, mostly in New England and California, iiuc. Most O and M, IME, is either generic (which is not the same as general), or overly specific ("OK, that's a route from my apartment to the theater, but what if I want/need to go somewhere else, or get lost somehow?"). Just 10 years ago, GPS was not good enough to compensate. At best, it could guess what street you were on (which is still a huge boon, don't get me wrong). Just 20 years ago, GPS wasn't widely available to random civilians. GPS helps a ton, in the sense that Swamp's zones and beacons help a ton, but there's still way more to it than that.
I have no idea why I went off on a tangent about GPS. I'd better post before I go off on some other tangent.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-20 16:23:31

The word ablism  irks me to no end. Most people are just ignorant about disability, and not balligerantly so, just plain ignorant. That doesn't make them ablist. I also think the term is a crutch word, oh I have to fight with ablism all day long, I would be doing so much better for myself if only people were more accommodating. Sure, our situation could stand improvement, but who's honestly couldn't. Now if you have a person in a wheelchair in a park and someone else is running in circles around them saying lookie what I can do in a sing-song voice, and that wheelchair bound person called them an ablist prick, then yeah OK good I get it there, it fits. If someone is doing something to a blind person, like moving their plate around so they can't find it or making them hunt around for their drink, then yeah ablist, makes sense as there's no reason to be doing that that's not malicious. If two deaf people are signing between one another and someone is like running between them all the time on purpose, disrupting their conversation, OK got it. But people are using it to sort of negate the result of a particular struggle. Now can it be systemic, yes, but I think the word is over-used.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-20 20:57:54

Yeah, the speeches are pretty over the top. In my favorite one of all, note the sarcasm, one person tries to lay out in a neat little package the stages a blind person goes through in order to become truly independent.

https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications … dres93.htm

TLDR: First, every blind person who hasn't attended an NFB training center is meek, passive, and basically worthless. Then, as they start training, they get a chip the size of California on their shoulder, not wanting or needing any help from anyone. By the end of their 6 to 9 month stay, however, they magically become well-adjusted, integrated members of society. Do I even need to explain how stupid this is? Plus, it's offensive. It would be sort of alright if it was made clear that this is a model that some students of the training centers tend to follow, but it's strongly implied, if not outright stated, that not only is this what all students do, it's a desirable outcome. That's not how human psychology works, and if it does at these places, it's not healthy. Even the five stages of grief is just a standard, it's freely acknowledged and well-known that not everyone grieves the same way, and that no one's experience of it is the same, so what the hell gives this guy the right to make such sweeping generalizations? I think this speech, among others, but I personally find this one the most heinous, is why some people believe the NFB has cultlike tendencies. While I've softened my stance on that over the years, I do have to admit that reading things like that doesn't help their case, not even a little bit.

2019-02-25 21:50:26

I am considering going to a training center. I need to brush up on finance and cooking skills, however I mainly need a counselor who is trained to deal with blind people. Can someone please give me a run down of al the training centers in the United States? Thanks.

2019-02-25 22:56:14

A lot of NFB-inspired centers apparently started popping up all over the country in recent years. If I've heard correctly, they're easier than Colorado Center for the Blind, which is easier than Louisiana Center for the Blind, and I have no idea where Blind Inc / BISM fit into  things. World Services for the Blind (formerly Lions' World) in Little Rock is ... Well, there was a recent thread about that.
You might find the thread linked in post 2 helpful, although there's a lot of back-and-forth during the bits where no one has much to go on.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.