2019-02-13 23:26:33

Hi.
I know GTAV isn't a game most of you all will play, but for though's who do, I am wondering if you can help, if you're experiencing the same issues as me that is.
Basically, as soon as I run GTAV, NVDA start's playing up.
First comes the lag.
My NVDA will go into this weird state where, for example, if I where to press buttons quickly, the speech interrupt won't work, causing me to have to restart it due to obvious unwanted lag of speech trailing behind.
But that's not all!
Sometimes I can't even restart, as CTRL alt and N won't work along with other keys due to NVDA doing some kind of weird key hook thing which causes random keys to stop working, but when only on GTAV.
Weirdly, after 1 or 2 restarts, keys and functions return to normal, however I don't want to do that all the time, and as I say, at times I can't even restart because the keys are acting strange.
Any help will be appreciated.
BTW, it's not a hardware issue, as it occurs both on my I5 MX150 and my I7 with GTX 1070

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-02-14 13:15:13 (edited by Ilya 2019-02-14 13:16:17)

hi, you might not have a lot of ram and G T A  5 takes up quite a lot of resources.
also give putting your N V D A to sleep a try

Have a lovely day.

2019-02-14 14:26:01

is your windows 64 bit?

2019-02-14 15:33:44

Both my laptops are win10 64 byt.
My I7 has 16 GB of ram, topped with a GTX1070.
As I say, it's not hardware that's the problem.
I don't think putting NVDA to sleep is a good idea

2019-02-14 15:59:04

It does it for me too but what did you expect, it would just work as normal with a huge honking game stealing all the GPU, a lot of CPU and a fair bit of RAM?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-14 16:58:50

@ironcross32... fair point, but it only does this for GTAV.
Just cause 3, mafia 3, forza horizon's 3 and 4 are included in the games I play, and NVDA has no issues with them, although they're big resource consumers.
So really, I don't know what the problem is.

2019-02-15 00:19:14

maybe you should try this, if you don't use nvda to play gta v, this might work for you just put a shortcut to it on your desktop, then turn off NVDA, or if you know how, go in and adjust your graphics settings in the game itself. those things are configurable, and they can really help as it will put less stress on your hardware, witch really helps with lag and comp overheating issues.

2019-02-15 00:39:14

I suppose, but NVDA is the only screen reader I use TBH.
As for settings, I have them on the lowest anyways as I can't see the graphics, so it makes sense to have them at the lowest anyway

2019-02-15 23:16:09

well i'm playing GTA V on my xbox so i am not experiencing this problem, but i want to ask, how do you play it?
I mean, free playing like me, or somehow completing missions, or mods, or what are you dooing in it? i really like to rage people, like spawn 1000000000000 trashmasters and stuck theyr cars, and then steal them.

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2019-02-16 00:58:06

@stasp... woooo you're really missing out not having the PC version.
As for my playstyle, I either like to drive about on my own created GTAV map, or turn into Thanos, yes, Thanos, or Goku, and cause some nice death and destruction in the GTAV world.

2019-02-16 02:00:45

you cannot do mods on the xbox version.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-16 16:36:38

Would NVDA even read anything on GTA? I can't imagine the game being accessible.

2019-02-16 16:45:46

My guess is that this has nothing to do with how many resources the game is using. I think what's happening is that the game installs a keyhook when you run it to prevent you from accidentally doing things like leaving the window or opening the start menu by accident, as well as to prevent cheating. NVDA acting weirdly is most likely a side effect because it can no longer see the keys being pressed as they're intercepted by the game (notice that most NVDA keys to read things like the time and the window contents don't work while the GTA window is focused).

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-02-16 21:26:44

@pitermach... that would make sense.
Pity there aint a workaround for it