2019-02-13 18:44:54

Hello all!
First of all, sory in advance if this topic belongs to the off topic room. I've been hesitating for a while between this category and the other, and finally decided that, since this was about gaming in general, this choice was the right one.

I'm currently trying to find a way to play munchkin. For those who don't know, munchkin is a card game meant to figure an rpg atmosphere, simplified and turned into a traditionnal game. It is also a humoristic game, mainly created to bring everyone around a table to enjoy, laugh, drink and play, geeks along with common people tongue

My questions are :
do you know of any place where I could find all the cards of the main extensions, as well as their describtions ? I'm planing to buy the physical games, so I'm not trying to cheat my way to it, but I need to be able to read all card effects in order to start thinking about how to convert the cards temself.
Also, do you have any idea of how to make thos cards accessible? Personnally I've ran out of ideas a few hours ago .
Again, for those who don't know the game, here's the thing :
except for a dice, the game's only based on its cards. Those are standart little cards, about 8cm each (probably less), on which writings describe the card itself, its effects, and sometimes its special rules. In braille, it sounds difficult to add all the content considering the cards' size.

If some of you have allready tried, succided, or failed in this matter. If you simply have ideas or if you know where I could look for a detailed card list, I need your help!Thank you in advance!

Best regard,
Simon

2019-02-14 00:37:04 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2019-02-14 00:38:09)

Through putting each card in a plastic sleeve, and that plastic sleeve having braille on for the card title and a QR code on that you can scan using your phone to access the full text on the card:

http://www.64ouncegames.com/ShopCart/in … cts_id=191

You missed out the bit about how the game is to gang up on and screw over and backstab all your friends smile

2019-02-14 00:52:45 (edited by defender 2019-02-14 00:53:55)

Yep this does belong in general games, people have asked about this before and Dark always said it did. The rules haven't changed since then, so don't worry about it.

2019-02-14 01:00:36

Hi!
@3 thanks!
@2 you're right, I had to sumarize, I should also have mentionned hours of discussion.debate about the rules, as well as this magical one : the owner of the game always has the last word. Should I mention that this is truly part of the official game rules?

About braille on plastic sleeves, the probleme is that there's not enough room on the card itself to write all the descriptions. But I'll check the idea of the QR codes. I had heard about an app that was made for that purpose, but apparently it only works with games that have allready been accessibilized for this specific app. I'll check the website you suggested then.
Thanks!

Best regard,
Simon

2019-02-14 01:06:14

Hello again!
I should probably have checked your link before writting my first post to avoid double posting... well sory about that.
I have two more questions now :
1. The article doesn't talk about the extensions. Does that mean that the kit's only made for the classic 168 cards?

2. I don't see any language choice in the ordering form. Is it only available in English? I'll live with that if so of course, but it's always more comfortable to play in your own language when it's possible.

Best regard,
Simon

2019-02-14 01:56:17

Sorry for a bit of off-topic, but.
Wow, putting a QR code for each sleeve! What a smart solution!
Some of my friends play Yugioh or other card games using braille, but they said they had to memorize most things because there's obviously limited space where they can write braille. In the Yugioh's case, name, ATK and DEF + extra bit of info was the maximum.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2019-02-14 11:09:27

Hi!
I too am converting my Munchkin cards in the braille plus qr code format, however, if you want, you can write down everything using braille abbreviations. I've done it and, while it's not the most brilliant idea, it worked very fine. For the expansions, the best thing you can do is to go to a game shop and buy them, or order them on amazon and then braille them or qr them yourself. For the cards description, the only thing that comes to my mind is finding someone that reads them for you. I know I haven't been very helpful, but ehi, that's what I've done Xd

2019-02-14 11:42:12 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2019-02-14 11:43:18)

64ozgames sell braille+QR kits for all the munchkin expansions too, all the way up to Munchkin 8

http://www.64ouncegames.com/ShopCart/in … =&dto=

They sell kids for loads of games, all English only but there's a big selection. Cards against humanity, exploding kittens, pandemic.. they sell nice braille RPG dice too.

2019-02-14 11:42:45

You can chat with them directly at https://twitter.com/64ozgames

2019-02-14 12:53:49

Ah, ianhamilton, thanks for the info! I'll skip the dices because they're quite expensive, but I might think about buying some Munchkin expansions.

2019-02-14 13:06:34

Oh so expension is the word, that's good to know.
Well, I guess I'll buy this. For the dices, I can simulate this with apps, so that's no much of a probleme. Besides, the game doesn't require you to use it to many times.
So if I understand correctly, all I have t do is to buy the expensions I don't have yet, and buy the packs of stickers, stick them on the right cards, and... and then, is there an app I need to scan them?

And a last, do you know if I can find the extended rules somewhere? I have the basic ones, atleast partially, but I don't know if there are extended rules for the expentions. Oh and I've found the epic rules to.

Best regard,
Simon

2019-02-14 14:16:57

Yeah sorry I confused things by talking about dice, I wasn't talking about munchkin then. E.g. 20 sided dice for playing dungeons and dragons with.

You're almost correct, apart from that they are not stickers. They're sleeves, i.e. a see-through plastic holder that you put each card into. That way the original card is not damaged, and because it's see-through sighted players can use them too.

But there are lots of expansions, I wouldn't buy them all. Maybe just buy the core game any maybe one expansion that you like the look of, and see how you get on with that first.

Each expansion comes with its own set of rules.

2019-02-14 15:22:30

Hi,
actually except for starmunchkin, which doesn't tent me as much, munchkin 1 to 8 are really meant to come together. Munchkin 1 is enough to start with, but  it's not long before you know all the 164 cards, and the aded races and classes sound really nice.
About the QR codes, I'm not so familiar with the system. Do I need a specific app to read their codes, or can I get one random reader among those that are suggested to me by the appstore when I search? Also, you told me that I could create my own codes for games that were not covered by this system. But I'm not sure to understand how I'm supposed to create homemade QR codes...

Best regard,
Simon

2019-02-15 06:10:04

Wow, I am so glad I found this thread.

In my time outside of the studio, I've been working on a tabletop game with a colleague and we've been discussing all kinds of ways to make the game blind accessible.

We've been talking about ensuring each marker is of a different size or shape. But the use of QR codes - which we could incorporate into a card's print design - is genius, particularly when wanting to communicate several sentences of relevant text.

I wonder if there have been any applications where a QR code like scanning app could be pointed over the top of a group of non-numerical dice and it could read out what is on the top-most face of each die. Using the game Zombie Dice as an example, could you roll the dice in a dice tray, then hold a phone over the top and it could tell you how many brains, shotgun blasts or feet were showing and what colour they were?

2019-02-15 11:21:21 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2019-02-15 11:21:32)

Personally I haven't come across anything like that. I've seen either braille dice or dice rolling apps, siri even has dice rolling built in (just say "roll two dice", "roll 20 sided dice" etc). If you're able to do any dev yourself or know any friendly devs it would be super quick and easy to make a specific dice rolling app for zombie dice; just pick three random numbers each from 1 to 13, with red/green/yellow assigned to numbers, and then pick random numbers fro 1 to 6 for each of those three, with shotgun/brains/feet associated with each of the six depending on whether they're red/green/yellow.

Hmm maybe someone needs to make a configurable dice app that could be adapted across lots of different games. Something that lets you add multiple profiles, chosoe number of dice to rol, number of sides per dice and the option to add labels to override the numbers would cover tons of games.

E.g. for zombie dice set up a profile for picking dice out of the cup, which you could do as a 13 sided dice with three sides labelled as 'red', four as 'yellow' and six as 'green', set up to roll three at a time... then individual profiles for red/green/yellow dice too and roll those individually afterwards. I.e. hit the intial roll profile, hear 'red red green', then hit the red profile twice and the green profile once, and hear 'shotgun' 'brains' 'shotgun'

2019-02-15 13:30:18 (edited by Blind Sparrow Interactive 2019-02-15 13:59:16)

@ianhamilton_

Love your thoughts on the idea. It's funny you should go down this path. We will be announcing Blind Sparrow Interactive's first development project on Monday. It's a small project, but currently in final QA.

It's not this. But your line of thinking sounds very much like what ours was, in a slightly different direction.

2019-02-15 13:35:51 (edited by siria 2019-02-15 13:40:24)

Actually, there's an iOS app that let's you create custom dices with labels on the sides. It's called natural 20 lite and it's very easy to use. I used it multiple times to play Fate when I didn't have the true dices at hand with a set of dices I labelled with pluses and minuses. However, I don't think it lets you roll different sets of word labelled dices together, it does permit it with the numbered dices though, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if it's a shortcoming of the app.

2019-02-15 13:54:43

Hello!
do you recommand a QR codes reader in particular?
Also, which app would you use to generate you own codes?

Best regard,
Simon

2019-02-18 15:31:02

A small update on Natural 20 lite. I checked the app again, and it lets you roll different set of dice even with word labels on them. And every die you create has it's own name, so, for example, you can create a set of dice called green and put on their faces a specific number of shotguns, brains etc and then create a dice set called yellow and put a different number of shotguns and so on their faces. You can then mix those sets in other bigger sets with their specific names, so, for example, you can create a zombie dice set with the number you need of green, yellow and red dices. You can also choose wich dices to reroll after the first roll. Unlocking all this feature costs 99 cents here in Italy, so that's worth trying.

2019-02-18 18:02:42

Hi,
and about QR codes reader, any suggestion? Some seem to be available for free, some aren't. Is there any app you all use for that specific purpose ?

Best regard,

Simon

2019-02-18 18:10:01

No, sorry... I know there's an app called vocal it one that let's you try some qr codes for free, but I've not tested it. However, the app is free too, so maybe you can give it a go. They'll send you via email some qr codes you have to print, and you can assign them the text you want. But the text lasts for only 2 years and after that you have to create it again with new qr codes.