2019-02-12 13:18:07 (edited by defender 2019-02-12 13:19:32)

@41
Just because something is true doesn't mean that highlighting it is the way forward. All I've really seen from the concept of white privilege is hatred directed at whites as a hole which then causes previously neutral whites to lash out because they feel targeted (at times they are) and this new wave of college aged kids belonging to the races most effected by it sliding into the trap of blaming whites for all their problems and using it as an excuse to be assholes to everyone, even members of their own race at times. It's unhealthy, unfriendly, and unproductive.
I'd like to see how highlighting white privilege has benefited anyone, because to me it just sounds like a rebranding of white guilt.
And though yes, the biggest divide in the world is still between whites and other races, their are all sorts of other groups who have advantages over others around the globe, and many points throughout history where whites were not at all the top dogs. So why have we boiled this down into whites vs everyone else instead of humans VS other humans? You'd think a term like racial imbalance or something would at least be less transparently hostile...
And the thing is, most developed nations were already giving allot of aid to less developed nations even if it was usually for financial or PR motives, and the WHO and WFO and such, though part of the often ineffective UN, seem quite impactful them selves and are mostly funded by wealthy nations.
I believe US citizens them selves are the second or third most charitable people on earth by average donation amount as well...
Public racism hasn't really been acceptable for a couple decades now in much of the US, and white people have been scared of using the N word or enjoying comedy that makes fun of black people (even when done by other black people) for even longer.
In several areas of the US, whites are just as likely to be impoverished, drug addicted, and victims of violence as blacks, even if in general that is still not the case. Meaning that if you talk to people from those places about it, your going to get a strong negative reaction because that's just not their reality.
All of this was true before the white privilege buzzword hit the public consciousness, and I haven't personally seen any positive change come out of this, just more divisiveness from both sides, and any time race comes up, it seems like you get allot more useful conversation done when it never enters into the vocabulary, even in South Africa where it's actually still a fresh problem.
Do I see the irony of people constantly saying that words only have the power that you (personally) give them and that your just getting triggered because your a snowflake but then not liking this word? Yes, yes I do, but I never really ascribed to that anyway my self.

2019-02-12 13:35:51

Defender, I can rebut this. And for what it's worth, thank you for coming at this from an angle I can grasp.

You have some decent points here, and let me start by saying that there is absolutely such a thing as class privilege, male privilege, etc. There is also, in some circles, female privilege as well, particularly in the legal system when it comes to custody of children (though we're working on this one). And in certain parts of the world, black privilege is probably a thing too.

Privilege refers to unearned advantages and benefits due to an unrelated characteristic. If you're a white person and you've never been stopped or harassed due to your skin colour in, say, an airport or at a Starbucks or something, then you're experiencing white privilege, because this happens to black people sometimes and it needn't. There are examples I could ascribe to class and gender as well. For instance, people in stores often give more unsolicited advice to women when they appear lost or uncertain vs. men, and you are more likely to be questioned by security if you're loitering in an area wearing "shabby" clothing instead of more middle or high-class apparel. This doesn't mean there aren't glaring exceptions to the rule. There absolutely are. What it means is that these things happen enough that they form part of society's lens by which they view difference.

The trick here, I think, is to recognize that white privilege is not an individual problem, it's a systemic one. I am not in the least angry with you because you've experienced white privilege. Hell, how could I be? I get it all the time! No...instead of being angry that others experience this phenomenon, I'd rather try and get at the root of why it's happening. Anyone who is using the existence of white privilege to fuel a hatred of white people in general does not represent what we're after. Anyone claiming all white people are innately evil and oppressive and awful is, again, missing the point. Some people do this, of course, but I daresay they do not represent the majority, and we actively try to repudiate such rhetoric.

The reason we don't call it "racial imbalance" is a simple one. Racial imbalance would be a term that neatly lets the dominant group (in this case, whites) off the hook. It means we don't have to confront the big bad elephant in the living room anymore, and can pull the "racial imbalance" card any time a person of colour acts in a way that is more harmful than helpful in the struggle for equality, because god knows it does happen. It makes the problems faced by whites, on a racial level, look fundamentally equal to the problems faced by virtually everyone else, and this is simply not accurate and not tenable. So we're calling it what it is. Privilege.

And we're working on it. We want no part of guilt, by the way. We want recognition, ownership and help above all else.
As I said to Ironcross, the first and most important step is to recognize that white privilege exists and is a systemic problem. This doesn't mean taking on a burden of responsibility for awful acts committed by other white people. It doesn't mean thinking you're slime because of the colour of your skin. No one interested in equality actually wants that, not for a single second, so please don't let anyone tell you any different. What we're after is an acceptance that if you belong to certain groups, you've enjoyed some advantages others have not, and with this recognition, we hope that you will use the power you have accrued for good. Listen to those whose experiences don't match your own. Ask them if you can help somehow, and listen to their responses. Validate them insofar as it makes sense to do so. Own the privilege, and be a part of the movement which makes it go away. Because that's ultimately what we're seeking: a system where people truly are equal, where gender and race and all those things are no longer social determinants of success, respect or potential. It's going to take time, and the first and biggest step is the acceptance and abolition of white privilege.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-02-12 14:46:55 (edited by bashue 2019-02-12 14:55:08)

Greetings Jayde.

I will comply with the caution; I cannot carry on with that particular argument, especially when you were simply being the light in action. I can far more easily argue with those who express darkness against me but it is impossible for me to do so unto you. If I am inspired to write more regarding any other angle, I will either put it here in this thread or create a new one minus this particular angle. I must also apologise to you for doing what I swore I'd never do unto anyone. I purposely dismissed what you said regarding you being in favour of a multiple disciplinary approach and I did lump you in with all those who have actually done that. I won't make any excuses except to say that instead of backing down, I own and admit to my error. I was wrong and I treated you as I was treated. By my very own ideology that I subscribe to, I will have to suffer what I put you through because by the very act of me accusing you, I also will be accused in the same or similar manor.

Kind regards, Amin Abdullah.

2019-02-12 23:07:01

Oh, expressing darkness against you, I have a lot of that.

so, you are, putting it simple that everyone is responsible for calamitys happening to them due to events they had done in an earlier incarnation.
So, a very good friend who died in cancer in 2011 died just because he had done something terible in an earlier life.

Dude, be happy you are not in 10 meters around me otherwise I would gladdly shove up a baseball bat up your rectom so hard that you look like a ryno with a horn coming out of your fucking mouth.
Seriously, I feel nothing more than absolute hate against people who proclaim such stupidity.
I really hope that an earlier incarnation of you or anyone else finds a way to come here and kick your ass!

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-02-12 23:26:27

Greetings Simba.

What more do I have to add here? Not much except that I must not violate the caution that Jayde asked me to respect, nor must I fan the flames of hate anymore than I have already done. I will therefore leave it at that. Terence has advised me to never retaliate in the face of adversity and any further expression of darkness from me will result in me prolonging my own suffering. Allah Jehovah God will punish me; when I said that nobody will escape Mother/Father's absolute justice, that especially means me. There are no exceptions to the karmic law.

2019-02-13 02:26:48

Moderation:

Simba, please consider this an official warning. We don't take kindly to the sort of violent threats you're voicing here. Regardless of your feelings toward Bashue and his ideology, that sort of outburst is flat-out not acceptable. It constitutes threat of physical harm against another person, which we don't tolerate in any way, shape or form. Please refrain in future.

2019-02-13 08:31:13

Greetings Jayde.

Very rarely do we thank those in authority for doing what's right and I can honestly say that if such a warning was for me, I would still be thanking you. I know this may be hard to believe but the ideology that I subscribe to does allow me to live peacefully. I've recently had an aunty die and her funeral was a few weeks ago. I also have a family friend in a hospice who is dyeing of lung and throat cancer. He only has a few weeks to live now but rather than me quote the testament of truth to him, he already knows and accepts his fate, I instead, wished him well both in this life and wherever he may go when he returns to spirit. One thing I know for sure is that he won't be bored where he's going; he will be able to enjoy all that he's been able to enjoy here and so much more. He actually thanked me not only for being there but for allowing him the freedom to accept his fate. Not once did I say to him 'don't think like that, you're not going to dye;' I simply acknowledged it and we all made him happy by sitting with him for a few hours and giving him jellies and ice cream.

2019-02-13 10:06:02

Hi.

While I agree that the official warning was the right thing in that situation and i will refrain from these things in the future, i have to say that this was worth the warning.

I won't take it that someone who thinks who is surperior to us just because he apparently found the only and true truth accuses a dead man of sins he has done in a non existing incarnation before his life.

Sorry, but I won't take that from anyone.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-02-13 14:20:26

That may be, but there are way, way better ways to express yourself, so I'm glad you agree with the necessity for the warning. Note how other users were able to express their outrage, their shock, their disgust and even their straight-up anger without getting warned for it.

And Bashue, I'm definitely of the opinion that people generally shouldn't be deluded, but also shouldn't be pushed, especially if they're obviously dying. It's best, in a case like that, to let them come to things however is best for them, and it sounds like you did that, so kudos for that.

2019-02-13 14:24:43 (edited by bashue 2019-02-13 14:30:52)

Greetings all.

Our family friend James Patterson has just passed away at 11:25 AM GMT today. Yes I do have permission to post his name. However, I do look forward to meeting him again. When I wrote regarding death, I did so having already experienced death in my family so all pryer comments were not made out of ignorance but I know full well the impact my words have. Do I stick to what I said in light of my very own 'loss'? Absolutely I do and I have already asked those who care about me to view and treat me the same way as I treat and view others. James was the most relaxed around me and he was the one to tell me to treat others as I treated him. James is a most excellent brother and I am proud to know him. No I am not grieving, instead I have just prayed for him and if he wants to talk to me then he is most welcome to do so.

2019-02-13 17:25:14

I can't verify the claim in 61 (Wikipedia still indicates that he is alive, though they may not have had time to update it). I find it hard to believe that James Patterson would've known someone like Bashue. Its not impossible but I find it very hard to believe that claim. Perhaps its true, perhaps its not, we'll find out soon. He was, after all, one of the greatest fictional writers out there.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-13 17:49:43

Or, uh, it could be an entirely different James Patterson. The name isn't exactly distinctive.

2019-02-13 18:23:44

What about the first person who was ever murdered. Or the first person who was ever raped. What did they do in their past lives.
Your belief is circular, and thus cannot account for a beginning.

2019-02-13 18:48:22

also.
@ironcross: I'm not particularly a fan of the phrasing of the term, but if you admit the phenomenon of white privilege  doesn't exist then you're delusional.
I'm not going to paste the straight white male privilege checklist here, because I'm sure you've seen it, so I'll leave it at this.
I look very clearly Arabic. My middle name on my passport is Mohammad. I will guarantee you that I have been held up at airports significantly more often than you have simply for this fact. That is white privilege. It is not your fault, and very few people are saying that it is, although it is true that those very few tend to be very loud.
The idea behind accepting white privilege is recognising that a problem exists to be able to solve it. it is not intended to assign blame to any one person or group of people, but rather to shed light on the fact that society as a whole focuses very heavily on race, gender and sexuality when making decisions and being a straight white male tends to get you the more favorable treatment. That is all.
Also, about trans gender people, if you will not support them for their own sake, then to quote John Oliver, "at least do it for your own. because we've been through this before, we know how it ends. if you take the anti civil rights side, and deny people access to something they're entitled to, history is not going to be kind to you."

2019-02-13 19:04:01

Rashid, thank you so much for actually chiming in here, on both points. Where Ironcross is concerned, I cannot see refusal as anything but wilful at this point. Wilful and needless. Regarding Bashue...I just can't do certain levels of nonsense.

2019-02-13 19:20:04

Keep in mind though that I do think that the term could be phrased better.
Case in point, the Esquire article that's blown up the internet the past few days. personally, I see nothing wrong with it, other than perhaps the fact that it was put out during black history month, but that's not what has everyone up in arms. I feel that the danger of a term like "white privilege" is that it creates an echo chamber. it makes it too easy to minimize the experiences of straight white males, who have to deal with the same human struggles as everyone else. it makes it too easy for any of us people of color to blame everything that has ever gone wrong in our lives on racism, rather than being self reflective. it turns everything into a race/sex/sexuality issue, when sometimes it's just a "you're completely unqualified to be here" issue. I'm not saying this is what happens always, mind you, I'm just saying this is the inherent danger of a catch all term phrased to minimize everyone who identifies as one particular group.
It also completely kills any conversations about class, which, especially when it comes to something like higher education, I'd argue is the bigger deal, and especially in here in North America, is not given nearly as much attention as it deserves.

2019-02-13 19:25:01

@Jayde, yes, it could be a different James Patterson. But since he never specified exactly which one he was talking about...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-13 19:41:01

it's not exactly an uncommon first and last name. besides, is the author even British? The guy said he lives in London.

2019-02-13 20:25:18

James Patterson, the author, is American, and as far as I know does not live in England. I think it unlikely, albeit not impossible, that Bashue is family friends with him.

And regarding white privilege, Rashid, I take your point, and I am not the sort to try and dismiss all problems and put them at the feet of white privilege. Bear in mind, of course, that I also believe in male privilege and class privilege and whatnot. I'm not prepared to say that all struggles faced by women, or people of colour, or those who would identify as lower-middle-class or lower, are always the fault of those who do not identify the same way. By no means am I saying so. And as a white male, I'm also not saying we don't have our share of problems. We absolutely do, foremost of which is that a whole pile of stuff is changing and there is a vocal minority more interested in everyone else than in helping us acclimatize. Many white men are angry, feeling robbed, feeling blamed, feeling dispossessed, as if all the stuff they were used to has suddenly been deemed toxic and dangerous and offensive when they haven't yet seen the problem. Suddenly it feels like a crime to be white and male and middle-class or above, and these people are often ill-prepared to deal with the righteous anger of those they and their systems have oppressed for centuries. The fact that the common person is often not aware of these systems isn't the point. The fact that most white men I know are generally good people who are simply ignorant also isn't the point. When you have a mob howling for blood and claiming that your being white and male is suddenly a problem, then I can understand that first basic reflex to cover up and say "Oh no you don't. You can't take this away from me. You can't weaponize who I am if you want me to respect who you are".
I get it. But I've thought about it, and I still recognize the problems. I confront them instead of just getting stiff-necked and proud and defensive. I wish more people in my position would be willing to do this. It's the only way we're actually going to be able to help. I am glad that there are so many out there who are willing to share their respective experiences calmly and without too much judgment, since that's the best way we're going to learn. That outrage is understandable, but it doesn't help us. I also think it is incumbent upon the men who do get it to help those who don't, or to try at any rate. It's why I keep sticking my neck out and diving into this issue when it comes up.

Anyway, that's sort of a ramble.

2019-02-13 20:36:02 (edited by bashue 2019-02-13 21:38:28)

Greetings all.

The James Patterson is not the one in wikipedia, he is a personal family friend. What about the first ever person who committed a crime? Is my argument circular? I have to admit that I do not know. Yes I asked Terence about that and he said that he was one of the first to step out of heaven and evolve as we are evolving right now. He was one of the very first to face the satanic blast. His crimes must therefore have been against the dark sovereign power him/herself. How is this possible? Because only Allah Jehovah God is above his/her own karmic law but in one way only. I understand that Allah Jehovah God cannot be harmed in any way what so ever because he/she is invincible. I don't know why the karmic law is absolute, for Allah Jehovah God when it applies to all of his/her creation; I only know that it is. For more information regarding this, please go to the law of God, the state of heaven the tree of evil, the coercion of the dark energy of God, the dark secret, murder, sin and salvation, A Treatise on Truth and the evolution of evil men, the inner energy of god and man and Peter the fisherman. The last link is an audio letter by Terence Malaher talking to not only Peter the fisherman but also, all those who link into not only him but all of us. It explains everything I've been stating here regarding karma and it's put in a very nice way; far nicer than how I was able to put it. The feeling easy seminar is a comprehensive manual on how to combat the evil forces within with love and good counsel. The last hour is an interview with Terence Malaher; it explains why he wrote the testament of truth, what the testament of truth is all about and why we need to adhere to the wisdom contained therein. These final videos are regarding spirit communication although I don't stop talking to spirits, nor do I reject them in anyway as I do not agree with what it says in this talk and this one is regarding spirit possession. Everything else that Terence teaches including spirit possession, I do agree with but I wouldn't dismiss the spirit communication talk either. There is wisdom therein that I adhere to AKA not rejecting the spirits and saying the star prayers.

Here is a most excellent extract explaining karma and the nature of God.

Terence Malaher wrote:

Testament 94
GOD IS GOD
There is no "God and the Devil," there is but GOD.  GOD IS ALL. 
GOD IS the Light and the Dark
There IS light and darkness, but the ESSENCE is ONE
GOD is the essence, the essence has two polarities.
Creative (expressive) AND Destructive (constrictive)
The creative side is the LIGHT – GOOD.
The destructive side is the DARKNESS – EVIL.
The light is called many names, God, Allah Jehovah, etc. 
The darkness is called many names, Satan, Devil, Shetani, etc.
The Light is the DIVINE SPARK - positive essence of LOVE, Joy & happiness.
The Dark is the SIN - negative essence of HATRED, Fear & Greed, etc.
We are created in the image of God by GOD.  We are Created by the Light in the light.  We thus have the divine spark within being LOVE that encompasses all positive emotions joy, etc, as well as the seeds of darkness known as original SIN that encompasses all negative emotions, hatred, etc.
We are supping on evil through our sin when we abuse or deceive.  We overcome the SIN by heeding the Wisdom of the Word.
The emotions of sin are cleansed out of us by the Grace of God, one by one, and only when fully cleansed and thus pure within are we able to return to and abide in the ultimate heaven.
The Light says: LOVE ONE ANOTHER
by only letting my light shine through you. 
The Dark says: IF you heed not the call to LOVE
and you allow my darkness to flow through you, I will destroy you.
"Vengeance is mine," sayeth the Lord our God.
The light says: What you sow so shall ye reap
The Dark says: I will NOT let you go,
until you HAVE reaped what you did sow.

2019-02-13 20:57:31

@65 No doubt that there are problems people are facing due to their race which they should not be, I am not attempting to downplay these issues, or attempting to sweep them under the rug. What I am saying is to have all these privilege terms is ridiculous because it solves nothing. OK, let me think of all the privileges I have. White privilege, straight male privilege, no rotten teeth privilege, eternal youth privilege (because I'm 32 but look maybe 14), Sexually unassaulted privilege, high school graduate privilege, not homeless privilege. I mean look, this does nothing, and solves nothing. We all have our struggles, every one of us at some point or other will have our struggles. I agree with you that your struggles should not include being treated like a criminal or at the very least, like a suspect. There was a time in my life, following the 9/11/2001 events where I would have been among the first to avoid you, to suspect you with no merit, to be repulsed by you. It took me a long time to get over that, and I'm not proud of that time because I let the events change me in a bad way. If you figure there are people out there who have lost family members and friends and didn't turn that way, then why should I have done so. All I'm trying to say is that I see only the negatives in labeling people with what privileges they have. How does it fix things, how does it begin constructive dialog?

Regarding transgender individuals, I deny them nothing. I'm not out here trying to spread the message that it's not OK to do this. I personally do not believe it, nor will I ever believe that gender is a spectrum and you can be anywhere on that spectrum. That's just how that is, if you want to hate me over it, I'm OK with that, if you want to make me into a pariah, so be it. I hold to my convictions, and will likely never back down from that stance. That said, it is within the person's right to make that change, so I deny them nothing.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-13 21:56:31

Would this be a bad time to mention that the thread title keeps making me think of the Terrain of Testament from the Ultimate Warrior comics? I'm assuming Destrucity doesn't figure in to either the original topic, or the other one, but if I wanted to tie them together, I get this weird feeling it would be the one College Essay I'd get in on time. ... But that feels kinda mean. It also sounds hilarious, so, uh, should I write an essay tying Ultimate Warrior's philosophy to the other two under discussion? We'd have a nice little triad: mainstream, fringe, coocoo for Cocopuffs. I am not sure if that would be OK and that is somewhat concerning.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-02-13 22:24:58

Yes please, I'm interested in reading it.

2019-02-14 02:37:58

If anyone saw the first version of this message, it was clunky and sort of all over the place. I'm hoping you haven't replied to it, and that this more streamlined version helps things.

Ironcross, privilege is just that. A label. Basically it's a label that helps explain persistent behaviour or thought toward or about people which separates one group from another. It helps only insofar as it puts a lot of bad or questionable things into one place for analysis.

If two people, one white and one black, are walking through ten different airports, and the black person gets stopped three times as often as the white person without any other mitigating factors, that white person is getting a break. I trust you'd agree? That's white privilege. You, as that white person, are privileged in the sense that you don't know how it feels to be afraid your skin colour will cause hassles at a security checkpoint. You don't even have to think about that potential anxiety.
Or male privilege. When you walk down the street, you probably aren't worried that someone is going to assault or rape you, not in general at least. I have spoken to literally dozens of women about this, and do you know what most of them claim? They say something like, "One of the first things I learned was that there were men who might hurt me, and I was taught that I had to keep myself safe". So, I think you'd agree that keeping safe is a great idea, but look at the differing mindset there. You walk down the street without the constant worry that you're going to be assaulted; many women (not all, of course) have been conditioned, one way and another, to be afraid for their safety. Totally different states of mind, yes? That's male privilege. You don't stress about going out for this reason.
Now flip it around. You have low vision. A sighted person can leave their home and go to a mall with the understanding that their eyes will let them find stuff. And hey, don't get me wrong, you can use your other senses to help you, but unless you know that mall really well from experience, you may have more trouble navigating within its confines, or you may get lost more easily. And this truth may cause you to be a bit more anxious about just going it alone, in a way a fully sighted person is not likely to experience. That's able privilege; the sighted person simply doesn't have to worry.

And here's the rub.
None of these things make us better or worse than one another. You have to stop thinking of privilege as a dirty word, as a club to beat someone with, because that's not its intended purpose. It is meant to show people that their experience is not the only experience, that they may be enjoying benefits, however small, that others don't. This is often the first step toward that "holy shit, I didn't know that" moment most of us have when confronted with experiences that are not our own. The labelling of it as privilege is incensing people who think it's a bad concept or a weapon. It's neither.
So why, again, do we call it privilege and draw attention to it? Because we can minimize some of it.
For whites and people of colour, it would be really, really nice if people guilty of racial profiling or selective screening would realize what they're doing, and adjust their methods accordingly. This is why so many black people are standing up and speaking out about their treatment, playing the "you don't know what it's like" card. Because we don't. And maybe if we had a little more sympathy, we would work on narrowing that gap, or eventually making it not exist.
Men and women...same deal. When women talk about feeling threatened, unsafe, harassed and otherwise hassled by some of the men they come across, they're generally not saying that all men are slime. They're trying to get the good men of the world to understand that they (the good men) do not really understand what it's like to experience this sort of thing. When men do this, it causes them to sort of go "Okay, if I see that happening, I'm going to have to do what I can to shut it down".
And this persists across all oppressed groups. Privilege exists because the oppressing group (the one with more power) has bonuses the other group doesn't. Or the oppressed group, the minority, has disadvantages the other group can't credit or doesn't understand.
Privilege is, in essence, shorthand for "one group may not fully understand the other's struggles, and might better be armed to help if they knew". That's how you turn this inside out, and transform it from a leftist buzzword into an applicable method of reconciliation.

2019-02-14 03:16:44

And I'll provide a short follow-up, because this really helped me.

I sat down over a period of a couple of days and analyzed my life, categorized my experience as honestly as I could.
I've never been harassed by a cop because of my skin colour, or been stopped in an airport because of my name or race. I have been stopped randomly in an airport for no good reason, mind you.
I've never really worried about being raped, although walking in dark places late at night does make me a bit nervous.
I've never worried overmuch about getting paid less due to my gender. I have, however, worried about getting a job due to my blindness.

And on, and on, and on.

And I realized that other people had it pretty good in some ways, while others still did not. I began to sort of unpack all the little things I go through life -not thinking about.
And here's what I realized:
A lot of those things were so natural to me that I had not, as yet, conceived of a world where anyone else would worry about them either. Except they do. Many of them do. And that, right there, is privilege.
When you can first look at yourself and say "Yeah, I don't have to worry about that", and then you think, "Most people probably don't have to, so that's cool", and then you get slammed with the realization that yes, people do in fact contend with these apparent non-issues, that's privilege, clear as the nose on your face.
It doesn't mean you should give up everything you have. It doesn't mean you're awful. It doesn't mean, conversely, if you're experiencing oppression, that those who are oppressing you are even aware of it. It's simply a method by which to categorize what's happening.

I urge each and every one of you to sort of unpack your privilege knapsack one day. Really take apart the stuff you count upon and rely upon. I bet you dollars to doughnuts that you will be able to find other people who don't have at least some of these things that you automatically assume are your due. And if they don't, why don't they? Is there anything you, being part of the group which as the advantages, can do to lessen the gap?

And as a final point:
Yes, each and every one of us has some privilege, and lacks others. Privilege is usually a case where there is an oppressive group and oppressed group, within the parameters set by the interaction (which is why black privilege is so very rare, by the way, since whites have historically been powerful in whichever interaction you want to examine). This difference of privilege and oppression is defined as intersectionality. Learn to accept it and internalize it. We can learn a ton from one another. Everyone has valid experience, and the sharing of and recognition of that experience as equal is the cornerstone for equity in future.