2019-02-08 03:34:10

Also sorry for double post, but there's a lot of speculation in the entire story. Nv access does not have experienced programmers in this field? Okay then, who built NVDA together with Jamie, yeah right, it was Mick, and it was even his idea at first, then Jamie joined. Fortunately this screen reader has a strong community behind it still, and as has been mentioned many times you don't have to work for NV access to fix something.

2019-02-08 15:48:31

this is a very interesting discussion. I have not been following anything, but thanks for putting some light into everything that's been talked about, including NVDA dying. Which goes to show, that this is not the first time social media is not helping at all. Its funny because active NVDA members support only the external, the image and reputation of the company but not the newer users who sincerely like to contribute, and that needs to be talked about somewhere from within the community.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-02-08 23:22:19 (edited by Dark 2019-02-08 23:22:39)

I can't speak for the 64 bit issue or this "NvdA dying" debate which seems to have been raging.
I can say though from the perspective of a comparatively new NvdA user who has been  using it for two years now, one thing I do! like is the frequency of updates and the improvements I've seen in newer versions myself over time.

To me, "dying" implies the reason I stopped using supernova, namely that the program firstly stops working with a significant amount of things I want to do on a newer system, and that the company developing that program are no longer interested in improving it to allow it to do those things in the future.

of course, I freely admit I don't give a rat's rear end whether NVdA has 64 bit support or the latest hinky plinky tripple max super bit computery wootery whatever, I care about whether it does the things I want it to do and continues to do  which  at the current time it certainly does, hence why I am more than happy to donate.

other people's priorities may differ, which is fair enough.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-14 04:19:57

hi all,
For anyone looking to contribute to NVDA, they have put together a list of some of the main issues currently in existance.
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/G … Ideas-List

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-02-14 04:54:57

Well, at least they've actually put it (64-bit NVDA) up there on the GSOC list, that's much better than acting as though its no big deal in claiming it won't have any benefit when they haven't even ever tested it in the first place.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-14 18:18:11

@Enes thanks for the list. I was particularly interested in the mention of NvdA plus magnifyer. This year I really want to persuade my mum to give up her xp machine (which even she admits won't work with  much anything anymore), and switch to Windows 10, which also likely means switching from Supernova to NvdA. Since my mum still uses supernova's magnifyer on occasions, it'd be awesome to have an integration between windows magnifyer and NVdA so that she doesn't have to learn two separate programs.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-18 13:24:57

NVDA really need to get their act together. I just saw it crunching up 15% of my CPU in task mamager. There is no logical reason why this screen reader would need 15% of a forth gen i5m series.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-02-19 16:13:48

Hello. 2 commits have recently been added into Alpha in case you are not following GitHub, which is a major performance improvement. I am extremely happy with one especially, and it drastically speeds up browse mode especially on low config computers. Basically it sets system focus not to follow browse mode, and if you use alpha versions, give it a go by pressing nvda plus 8 and browse webpages where you had focus issues. All of them are pretty much gone, and I've had plenty and let's say that it was probably the most annoying issue on my pc. Another commit is something I personally don't use, but it should speed up performance when navigating cells in excell especially with comments and dropdowns. Hopefully this will make users happier. As for the CPU usage, I've had this happen quite a few times, however I've since discovered it wasn't NVDA's fault at all. Try to disable all addons and see if it still happens. If yes, steps to reproduce would be nice. If no, in particular I have the addon called unspoken, and it has major compatibility issues spamming the log, and even though it seems like everything works normally after some time it will slow down NVDA quite a bit.

2019-02-19 21:35:52

Hello! Though I'm not subscribed to the monthly donation system, I've made a small donation to NV Access. I've donated a small amount of 1 Australian dollar. Yeah it's a small donation, but anyway I've been contributing to NV Access being part of the Romanian translation team for over two years. I hope I will be able to make some more consistent donations in the future.

If you want to get in touch with me, e-mail me at [email protected].
We can also get in touch on Telegram.