2019-02-06 12:34:22

I know this may be weird to post but I want to shout it out. I just donated to NVDA I donated 20.00 AUD. This makes me feel good and I have a grate feeling after doing this. I want to donate more and more and more now that I just did this. Maybe even $500.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2019-02-06 12:54:01

I also was considering it, but when I see how much some stuff are getting fucked out, I am  holding it till it will be fixed.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-02-06 13:08:34

What is that?

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2019-02-06 14:43:36

Hi,
Good on you, hurstseth405.
I really really want to donate to NVDA too, as its the sort of project that relys upon its users for donations and survival and considering how useful it is and that its able to hold its own against payed screenreaders jaws etc, that in my opinion is worth monthly donations or whatever whoever is able to contribute.
But my financial situation doesn't allow me to do so.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-02-06 14:47:35

Hi.
I also wanted to donate, but since I lost my personal and freelancing works, I'm kind of in trouble now. lol.
Nice you donated, hurstseth405
Take care.
Mike.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2019-02-06 20:48:28

Since myself and my wife both use NVDA on a very regular basis, I felt it was only fare to donate. I am on the monthly subscription system, donating 10 australian dollars a month, which is just over six  pounds in the Uk.

I wanted to give monthly donations since I'd obviously like to keep the ongoing development of NVDA running, and all in all 72 quid a year is still slightly less than the 200 or so every 18 months I would've had to pay for new supernova upgrades.

I can't say we're doing so well financially at the moment, but giving monthly donations did seem only fair.
The only thing I do wish is that NVDA would stop with the nag boxes when I'm already donating to them everytime I install a new version big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-07 05:07:48

I donate monthly, 10 usd. I think its within what I can do and seems fair. Little by little we can all add to something significant. I feel good because there are improvements all the time. Not sure what is being really screwed as some put it, though I would love to know, too. I have not really had any problems.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-02-07 17:41:17

Well, I stopped donating when I really had to cut costs, and never restarted, Now I will not restart because it's gone downhill so dramatically I will not help fund the project to it's doom.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-07 17:45:48

I mean I get that mindset, but at the same time maybe if we donate they'll be able to higher more people.
If we don't they have no chance at all though...

2019-02-07 18:58:40

I was considering donating to NvDA but never did. Now, I'm not even sure I will. I've lost faith in the development team of NvDA. They have over 2000 open issues (which is ridiculous) and still haven't found a way of solving it, and whenever I bring up something like 64-bit builds (which is becoming more and more necessary as time goes by) they stonewall me at every turn, coming up with excuses that make absolutely no sense at all. I've tried platitudes, I've tried being kind. I've stated the advantages and the reasons for why they should do it but no, they won't, because "oh, its too difficult", despite that they already have the framework there and practically every other screen reader has done it. It doesn't help that I've heard roomers of performance issues and bottlenecks, and I've suffered periods where it will freeze for about 5-10 seconds and then come back, and NVAccess still hasn't solved those problems. I know, this sounds like a rant, and  apologize but I needed to say it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-07 19:15:01

hi,
Exactly same issue. When I bring up 64 bit on the nvda list, I keep getting shouted down that it is pointless and will bring no performance benefit. Not to mention NVDA UIA office support is so bad they disabled it again in development snapshots.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-02-07 19:43:09

@11, I know. And its complete lunacy. I have o doubt that if NVDA was 64-bit we'd see a huge performance boost purely because NVDA would have full access to the systems resources. I serously wonder if any of them have even tried... if their saying that it has no performance benefit than clearly not. Sad, that...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-07 19:44:23

The thing needs to be 64 bit, not this hybrid thing. I also have no faith or very little in the team anymore. I will not donate to it as it will have no benefit whatsoever. Not when they have corporate sponsors like Microsoft and so on. No, I will not support them in their time of bad decision making.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-07 19:53:08

@13, exactly. They can weather the storm themselves. If they won't even consider 64-bit then their not worth my time, because 32-bit is dying, slowly but surely. Its already been tortured to death in the TCP/IP world with IPv4 and its been almost eliminated completely in the world of computers. Honestly I'd love for the entire team to just be completely overthrown and replaced with a team that *actually listen to the community*.

My Github

2019-02-08 00:30:57

hi Ethin,
It is ridiculous the way people cling to ipv4 as well. In Turkey, IPV4 adresses are depleated, and rather than replace equipment and upgrade, providers are spending probably hundreds of thousands of dollars and turkish lira on NAT boxes which add another layer of nat, and also add another layer of complexity  and something that can go wrong on the network. Similarly I am studding at one of the top 3 schools of the world, and still their networks are ip4. They use at least 6 different layers of nat from my tracert.
Also on NVDA, the following was written to me from a member on the NVDA list, after a member asked if NVDA was dieing, and after I had expressed my concern that the commits were slowing down.
On 2/4/2019 10:09 PM, member wrote:
enes
You are one of those people who're trying to spread the panic, aren't you?
As for 64 bit, this is not the first time on this mailing list that you're complaining about. The truth is that there is no need to switch to 64-bit as it is not likely to increase performance or support of other software. So please stop using 64-bit support as the reason for imminent decline of NVDA. NVDA devs are not going to work on this just because you want it.
In another thread on this mailing list you also mentioned that NVDA should use SSE and multithreading. That's another ridiculous statement of yours. SSE is for floating point computations and therefore it's not applicable to NVDA. Multithreading is already being used in NVDA.
So, stop complaining. and stop spreading panic.
And another response from same member
On 2/4/2019 11:09 PM, member wrote:
Not much point to argue with you, but:
1. Mike said 64-bit build is needed to work with 64-bit java. That's the only real argument. Performance may improve ever so slightly, or it might stay the same, or I've even seen cases when programs run slower in 64-bit mode due to higher memory consumption. In either case judging by my own experience it's not a big deal.
> joseph wrote a version of nvda with SSE2,
Show me.
3. You're confused between multi-threading and multi-processing. If you want to do multi-processing - that would require some kind of communications between processes. And worst of all - I don't see why NVDA would need multiple processes and how it would benefit from it.
In any case, trying to convince people on the Internet is a really stupid idea, so I'll probably stop here.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-02-08 01:43:33 (edited by nyanchan 2019-02-08 01:46:27)

I also do not understand what exact reason is behind to believe that 64-bit support would increase NVDA's performance. I guess the freezes that NVDA sometimes causes comes from window message handling and temporary / permanent deadlocks. 32-bit (WOW64) simulation doesn't slow down much. And as the member said, SSE2 is not something boosts any kind of program, the way he / she expressed was obviously harsh though.
Of course I could be wrong; there might be some definitive reasons. This is not something to try to counter-argue against people who want 64-bit transition.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2019-02-08 02:06:36 (edited by Nikola 2019-02-08 02:10:02)

@Ethin open source programs? Why not go ahead and do such a super easy thing required to make NVDA 64-bit? I'm sure they would accept such a contribution, and even if not, you tested things yourself and prove you were right. As far as I understood and it could be wrong, but it's an issue with many braille display drivers not being 64 bit and that's definitely a major issue for some people.
Edit: I would also point out that UIA support is not disabled, but moved to advanced settings where you can enable it.

2019-02-08 02:17:59 (edited by Ethin 2019-02-08 02:23:21)

@15, OMG just wow. That kind of attitude from those kinds of members -- not you but the member who replied to you -- is what makes the NVDA mailing lists so toxic. By that members own logic, JAWS shouldn't have switched to 64-bit. So I wonder why they did? After all, he did say that there's supposedly no performance benefit. Yet FS did it anyway... doesn't that, you know, defy his statement? I mean, if I'm not mistaken JAWS got faster with the 64-bit versions but released 32-bit versions too. (Someone should probably test this, since I most likely won't.)
@17, really? I'd love to know *which* braille display drivers don't support 64-bit, because I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'm not intimately familiar with braille drivers, but I'd think that most of them would've switched to 64-bit purely because JAWS supports most braille displays out there.
Either way we've seriously hijacked this thread.

My Github

2019-02-08 02:23:01 (edited by Nikola 2019-02-08 02:25:00)

I am not that familiar either, however I'm sure you've been given an answer on the addons list, that is if you were the same Ethin. The thing is that you also say it will have access to more resources, which is true, however how much resources does a screen reader normally need? I'd definitely think not 4 gb of RAM.

2019-02-08 02:24:21 (edited by Ethin 2019-02-08 02:30:48)

@19, yep, I am, but they never gave me anything about braille drivers not being available in 64-bit builds at all. They have 32-bit build of liblouis, but that's available in 64-bit too.
I am also curious if said member has even ever tried a 64-bit build of NVDA and benchmarked them. Granted, benchmarks aren't very reliable, but if he can prove that there is absolutely no performance benefit whatsoever to using a 64-bit build of NVDA, then that will be that. But so far they seem overly-confrentational and know-it-all-ish and (IMO) they should be removed purely because of their toxicity. On a mailing list, that's not very productive. A forum can handle it but a mailing list usually can't. "Trying to spread the panic," eh? In what way? I haven't seen this "panic" he speaks of... I mean, since this subject was brought up I haven't seen anyone panicking. I've seen calm discussion of a subject that has no sense of panic in any way, on this topic anyway.

My Github

2019-02-08 02:33:51

If you haven't seen the panic, you were not following Twitter and mailing lists very well. There's ridiculous posts about NVDA dying while in reality it's just a few small issues, most of which office related and probably will be much better once UIA support is stable. Also, there's a difference between a performance increase, and a noticeable performance increase. There's no need to rewrite a bunch of code only to have no noticeable benefit. Benchmarks don't provide that, user testing does. I wont even comment how you say that the whole team should be overthrown. Zero respect for the guy who actually started this in the first place and probably knows much better than you and me what he is talking about. 32 bit is dying, but very, very slowly. Microsoft isn't even close to killing it, simply because there's a lot of legacy stuff, even in Windows itself, not to mention millions of apps not updated. Does it mean they wont do it? Sure no, but it will take quite a lot of time and by then NVDA will surely be able to adapt. Each company has priorities, and for the moment there's no valid reason to prioritise this.

2019-02-08 03:04:54 (edited by Ethin 2019-02-08 03:13:13)

@21, I have expressed my reasons for not having much respect for the team. The people on it have good intentions, but ever since Jamy left (I hope I spelled his name right) NVDA has been declining badly, and the reports I've heard from others about performance bottlenecks, outright freezes, and so on still haven't been fixed. I myself have even experienced a common symptom where NvDA will receive a huge chunk of text and outright stop responding. Then it will start speaking, and most o the time I have to restart it to get it to shut up. And that's not all, I'm sure you (along with many others) have experienced these issues, and so far I've seen no initiative from the developers to fix them. The developers failing, IMO, is allowing themselves to be swamped in issues and problems with NVDA. The documentation of the codebase is poor (I'd even go as far to say that the documentation is practically nonexistent), and so these issues have piled up and piled up and, while they've fixed some of them, there are still 2,000 plus that are still open, some open from 2008. 64-bit is dying very slowly i nthe Windows world, I'll give you that. In the Mac world its already dead, and in Linux its as much as dead. Most of the "regular Linux distributions" (i.e. Arch Linux) no longer even support 32-bit. Ubuntu no longer gives out 32-bit desktop images. Tails OS, elementary OS, Solus... none of these support 32-bit versions. Here's the thing: Microsoft still supports 32-bit because of all the old apps that are still used to this day, and they probably have other reasons too that I'm not aware of. But, like Apple, they could very, very easily remove your ability to use 32-bit apps -- and it would most likely require one update. Only one. Granted, the likelihood of them doing that within the next month, year, or hell, even decade, is low. But it is there nonetheless.

My Github

2019-02-08 03:28:36

I don't see the reason for not switching to 64 bit, do I think it is a magical cure for all iof the issues, no, but things are transitioning over across all platforms, and I see no reason for NVDA to be half baked hybridized like it is now. Clever idea at the time though. I'm not gonna say it needs to happen like noooooowwwww, but it should be moving in that direction.

I also think NVDA is dying, and I could see how that could spread panic, but show me some good that's come lately that isn't foreshadowed by issues. That being said, I don't think everyone should be like fuck NVDA's dying fuck this shit I'm out bro I'm out fuck NVDA's dying and if you're too stupid to see it fuck you. That can't and will not do any good at all.

I also don't know how to fix the issues that seem to be organization wide, it really does suck that Jamie left, but who can blame the guy for trying to have a career and make something of himself. They need programmers, but programmers who also have experience in this field and so forth.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-08 03:30:30

Sure thing, MS can do it, you are definitely right, however it wont be sudden and out of nowhere. This is why you have insider builds nowadays, so people can prepare their apps before something like that goes public. Other operating systems are surely different, especially Apple, not as much in the Linux world so can't comment too much. Honestly though, Jamie leaving does not have much to do with this. Technically, he did not even leave, he just officially does not longer work at NV access. He's still active at helping them, as you probably see yourself on GitHub. Hell, even if let's say NVDA was all buggy for a few versions, this cannot destroy the respect they had for such a long time. If it does for people, then that's called disrespectful and ungrateful. I will say that I have experienced some things you mention on here, however for me personally screen reader restarting every once in a while is normal. I'd have even more performance issues if I was to switch to Jaws. I do understand each user feeling frustrated about this, however it does not just change in one version. Such things as you probably understand yourself need debugging, and most importantly need time to work on. But let me ask this: They themselves use NVDA as their primary screen reader, and a way to access their computers. So, would you think they would give us a broken product and not do anything they can to improve it? Performance issues hurt them as much as they hurt us, but sometimes there are external factors involved with this that could just be out of their control. It can be UIA doing something bad and freezing NVDA, or just some weird bug Microsoft does not get around to fixing. Really the whole NVDA is dying thing needs to calm down. I'm curious about these open issues though. I don't think so many can be relevant nowadays, and thinking that in 2008 NV access didn't even use GitHub but just used their own servers, perhaps while moving those something went wrong and they remained open? Most issues nowadays are closed as soon as a fix is available, however before this was not such a common practice.

2019-02-08 03:34:01 (edited by Ethin 2019-02-08 03:36:18)

@24, yes, problems like this need debugging, but it doesn't make much sense to me anyway that they suffer the same problems we do and yet they haven't fixed them (I don't expect a fix for *all* of the problems since, as you said, there are probably external factors at play), but the synthesizer thing is probably fixable by not flooding the synthesizer with data and sending it in chunks. If I could find the code, I'd be happy to poke at i and see if I can come up with a workable solution, but my digs through the repository (particularly the NVDA controller client, which is what allows TTS if I'm not mistaken) doesn't do it in any of the source code files I can find. And yes, we have insider builds, but we can't tell the future. Its different  in the Apple world, true, since Apple has total control over the Mac platform, but in a way, MS has total control over Windows too. They could do it just as easily as Apple did it, and if Apple dos buy MS (which they could do, they've got the money for it, though it probably wouldn't be the wisest decision ever) they'd probably do it in a heartbeat, insider builds be damned. I doubt Apple would buy MS but hey... its possible. smile

My Github