2019-02-02 23:25:44

Hello,

I've been working on a game engine for a week or two, and I've integrated binaural audio support into the engine to assess the quality and the performance to see if it can be used for a real game. As the sound quality goes, it's really brilliant, and I have not had any performance issues with the engine just yet. I've written a short demo in which you can walk around, create your own environment to an extent via modifying the map file, and test out stuff. It's not a full game yet, but it is the basis of an exploration game which will be cross-platform eventually. I'd like you to test the current demo out, see what can be improved, removed, or changed so the final product does not suffer. It'll be open-sourced at the end, so please do join in for the fun to give ideas that can be implemented. For convenience's sake, I'll paste the current readme file below:

----

Nature Demo (Alpha)

This program uses a right-handed coordinate system, and that means, positive X value is right, positive Y value is up, and positive Z value is towards you. This means if you are standing at 0, 0, 0, north is 0, 0, -1. The rest should be clear.

Keys:

Q and E: Rotate left and right respectively.
F: Toggle to go directly north with movement keys, or towards the direction you are facing.
W, A, S, D: Move forward, left, backward, and right, respectively.
R: Reset the rotation back to north.
C: Say current coordinates.
V: Say current rotation, in coordinates.

Map File Usage:

First line: Minimum coordinates. Default in the file is 0,0,0.
Second line: Maximum coordinates. Default is 100,100,100
Third line: Starting coordinates. 50,0,50
The rest: Object placement in the form of, a letter, a colon, and coordinates seperated by semicolons. For each axis, ranges can be given by using dashes. See the file for more examples

Map File Object Legend:

g: Grass.
w: Water.
c: A creek that emits, a creek sound!
t: A tree.
T: The top of the tree. Notice that this one is capitilized. The purpose of this object to create a bird that will be on the top of the tree.

----

Let me know if you'd like to know more about things if they are not clear to you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/km0mmamq0psd7 … s.zip?dl=1

2019-02-02 23:37:52

Downloading now.

2019-02-02 23:58:36

Hm, I'm used to the 3D system where x increases as you go right or east, y increases as you go north, and Z increases if you go up I.E climb a tree.
Is there a way to change the movement keys?

2019-02-03 00:02:06

keithwipf1 wrote:

Hm, I'm used to the 3D system where x increases as you go right or east, y increases as you go north, and Z increases if you go up I.E climb a tree.
Is there a way to change the movement keys?

It is possible, but I hope to eliminate the coordinate aspect of the game entirely, and write a GUI for the mapper so it is automated. Right now, I'd like to keep it as is as this way it is quite easier to work with the sound library.

2019-02-03 00:08:52

Thanks. Will you be adding climbing to the game?

2019-02-03 00:10:24

keithwipf1 wrote:

Thanks. Will you be adding climbing to the game?

Yes. Climbing, jumping, all kinds of things are designed to work with the current map and sound system.

2019-02-03 01:36:11

Haha would you add moving platforms?
So, what kind of thing would this engine be for? Challenge maps like, say, crossing a volcano?

2019-02-03 01:38:43

keithwipf1 wrote:

Haha would you add moving platforms?
So, what kind of thing would this engine be for? Challenge maps like, say, crossing a volcano?

That's as good of an example as any. FPS, exploration, RPG...

2019-02-03 09:14:56

I think I'll remap the turning to left and right arrows, and q and e for a quick turn.

check my sounds on
freesound

2019-02-03 10:46:58

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Wow... Sounds amazing. I haven't had the time to check this out yet, but I'm sure it'll turn into something really great. Keep up the amazing job.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-02-03 18:20:30

tomas1333 wrote:

I think I'll remap the turning to left and right arrows, and q and e for a quick turn.

I'll provide a key settings section in which you can achieve that.

2019-02-03 23:25:46

wow, works fine, very fine, and sounds very good.
Witch library do you use to get the hrtf?
And whitch wraper do you use to to work with monogame?

The result sounds very good and some optimizations or better locations for sound sources it works very fine.

¡thanks for your work!

2019-02-03 23:29:06 (edited by SemihBudak 2019-02-03 23:31:35)

sanslash332 wrote:

wow, works fine, very fine, and sounds very good.
Witch library do you use to get the hrtf?
And whitch wraper do you use to to work with monogame?

The result sounds very good and some optimizations or better locations for sound sources it works very fine.

¡thanks for your work!

MonoGame is a C# project, so it's not exactly a wrapper. OpenAL Soft has HRTF support, and I utilize it. Play with the map, you can even feel the birds landing on the ground if you position the trees correctly. Sound effects are  hastily found ones, I'd appreciate higher quality ones to integrate into the project.

Thanks for checking it out and commenting; it'll be a great project with your support indeed!

2019-02-04 12:36:51

sounds awesome, it just gets flagged out as razy virus i will try it out in vm.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-02-04 12:56:22

simter wrote:

sounds awesome, it just gets flagged out as razy virus i will try it out in vm.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll see why it gets flagged and fix it today.

2019-02-04 16:15:54

Wow dude, Congratulations for that! It works really fine! And hay, thanks for making it open source. I mean you said it haha. This'll help people to develop much more better games in future, I hope. At least I will be able to do that I think. Good job

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2019-02-04 17:24:21

kianoosh wrote:

Wow dude, Congratulations for that! It works really fine! And hay, thanks for making it open source. I mean you said it haha. This'll help people to develop much more better games in future, I hope. At least I will be able to do that I think. Good job

Current plan is adding online multiplayer support to the maps after I finish implementing the custom map maker. I'll set up a server for it, so everyone will be practically able to create their own game with the provided tools.

2019-02-04 17:59:15

hello @SemihBudak!

Ok, I made a wrong question smile
I know that the engine is developed in monogame, a framework for create games (and other cool stuff) in .net languages smile
And I know that openalsoft have HRTF features smile
My question is. How  do you connect openalsoft to the .net ecosystem? Do you find a wrapper over openal to use in c#
Or simply do you use c++ for your project, or your create your own library smile

¡that is the real question! jaja

2019-02-04 18:17:09

sanslash332 wrote:

hello @SemihBudak!

Ok, I made a wrong question smile
I know that the engine is developed in monogame, a framework for create games (and other cool stuff) in .net languages smile
And I know that openalsoft have HRTF features smile
My question is. How  do you connect openalsoft to the .net ecosystem? Do you find a wrapper over openal to use in c#
Or simply do you use c++ for your project, or your create your own library smile

¡that is the real question! jaja

MonoGame has a wrapper for OpenAL Soft, though it does not have HRTF support built in yet. You can get it working with some tinkering, though.

2019-02-04 19:28:08

Hello.
@SemihBudak, thanks for creating this engine!
Playing the map even in the alpha stage is fun for me.
I have 2 questions,
at the moment, the player can move in x and z coordinates, so what is the usage of Y coordinate?
Is there going to be  jumping or climbing up a tree or like this planned to the be added to the game?
and I guess that if you add  an object to the game and expand it for more than 1 square, sorry I can't explain myself better in english, for example look at my map example:
w:15-16,0,17-19
so i've added water for 2 square, so the game plays and loopes 2 water sounds next to each other, and it will make the sound effects uncomfortable and very unreal and make the game noisy.
suppose that I want to add a river with 20 square long, the game will play 20 water sound next to each other at the same time.
thanks for understanding and sorry for my poor english vocabularies.

All the best,
Adel, Akbari.

2019-02-04 19:32:59

Adel wrote:

Hello.
@SemihBudak, thanks for creating this engine!
Playing the map even in the alpha stage is fun for me.
I have 2 questions,
at the moment, the player can move in x and z coordinates, so what is the usage of Y coordinate?
Is there going to be  jumping or climbing up a tree or like this planned to the be added to the game?
and I guess that if you add  an object to the game and expand it for more than 1 square, sorry I can't explain myself better in english, for example look at my map example:
w:15-16,0,17-19
so i've added water for 2 square, so the game plays and loopes 2 water sounds next to each other, and it will make the sound effects uncomfortable and very unreal and make the game noisy.
suppose that I want to add a river with 20 square long, the game will play 20 water sound next to each other at the same time.
thanks for understanding and sorry for my poor english vocabularies.

Yes, there will be jumping and climbing. It shouldn't play a water sound for 'w'. It is just for footsteps, that's why there is a creek object that can indicate one sound. then you can wrap it with w's all around to make sure the player knows it is in water.

2019-02-04 20:32:04

From reading the comments and Q&A stuff on here, this sounds cool, I will have to check it out.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-04 20:57:19

Online multiplayer?
This is so awesome!
So, currently, can you give me an example of how to spawn 2 creaks?
Thanks.

2019-02-05 02:46:36

lol? really?

When that was implemented?

I only know that was compatible with directSound in windows, but if they add openal as a other engine for windows, awesome.
The next step for monogame  team, is connect their 3dAudio system (for multichannel) with the hrtf configuration of openal smile

Well, sounds good.
You can use the engine directly? O have to do some tricks to start it.

Thanks for your answers :3

2019-02-05 03:03:35

Hi.
What is this exactly, is it basically Flight's map walk mode on steroids?
In other words, do you just press arrows and hear different sounds?
Because that sounds like what this is to me.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps