2019-02-01 17:23:54

I cannot speak for all laptops, no one really can. I think with uefi the situation could be improving as bios firmwares are so far apart from each other it isn't even funny. Nevertheless, you want to research each the laptop brand you're buying and see what people say about them. Typically if the laptop is bloated, everyone complains. No one wants tons of bloatware, and Lenovo, even Dell I think could be some of the worst offenders of that. Some computers like the gpd win have dedicated keys to hold down that boot straight from a usb stick. Others may allow it directly thanks to signed images being the ones the system will boot from.
A lot of Narrator changes make it into insider builds before the general public gets them, so you certainly have that to take advantage of, though as with any computer I would take frequent backups should an update come to destroy some files.
As far as setup? Thanks to Microsoft's desire to unify the setup experience with Kortana, I should think that other interfaces should not get in the way. Ctrl+windows+enter when the machine starts up will start Narrator for you so you can set up windows, and I believe if you wait too long Kortana may say something, sort of like how it is with the "Mac OS10 includes a built-in screenreader called voiceover" audio message.
If you're looking for a nice cheap yet powerful laptop to get going with, there are referbs from a guy on the trade list that I'm on, who regularly sells machines from $200 to $400. And they aren't cheap fly-by-night brands either, I saw a Panasonic Toughbook go for $400, powerful and durable machine. These machines typically come with a demo of jaws that speaks on boot so you know that the machine is at least up and going, but that's just it - you can get NVDA on them no problem.

2019-02-01 17:28:20

Assuming the windows is bootable, if you notice something off, here's how to boot into safe mode from this angle.

2019-02-01 17:53:36

One of the first things you will want to get on a Windows 10 installation is the winaero Tweaker. The keystroke logger/data collection is able to be fully disabled, but the process for that involves some command line and registry modification. This enhanced setting control panel for windows 10 assists you in automating the disabling of the thing through a simple checkbox. Verified to work, and also has some other useful features as well. Also, Classic Shell still remains the best start menu around, although the actual windows 10 start menu isn't terrible. Microsoft Edge is no more, and is being replaced by a Chromium browser with a heavy emphasis on accessibility from the start. Chrome being already accessible, this is an absolute no-brainer.

2019-02-01 18:32:30

Regarding booting, in most cases you can find a manual for the laptop/motherboard which describes the different keyboard shortcuts used within the bios. The efi bootorder can be configured from within linux with a program named efivars, for Windows the situation is muddier. So booting from other drives is possible, but will take some time.

Regarding drivers, I have only needed drivers for Windows with my Macbook. Windows 10 automatically fetches drivers from microsoft, so you don't need to use manufacturer's bloated images. In any case, if you were to ever come upon an inaccessible interface for example with booting, you can also use be my eyes for those extremely rare cases.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-02-01 18:58:13

So, you are actually saying that those things like booting etc. are not guaranteed to be fully accessible yet. I have to check up on how things works before buying. You "believe" something custom made interface won't get in the way. Narrator might, might not work, and things might work, depending on what laptop I choose.
When choosing a Mac, I know it will be accessible, and I can expect the whole setup process being fully accessible out of the box.
I won't run into any issues like the f keys having random shortcuts where I need to hold down the FN key. This setting might, might not be accessible from the windows control panel, depending on the model I choose. If my last choice is to change such setting in the Bios, I need sighted help, because the Bios is not accessible. Accessibility out of the box is important for me.
Regarding the start menu in Windows 10: This has been fully accessible for very long time. I'm totally against the classic shel, which try to emulate the older start menu. I see no point in this. If you don't like the way Microsoft is going and the constant changing interface, you should consider an other operating system. Just my opinion. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-02-01 19:20:37

@80 excellent way of putting it. at least the main thing is the more I follow up on this at least I'll have something to add. but as of now I'm just taking down notes. lol good thing in a way at least that's some what good on my side.

2019-02-01 19:30:48

To each their own as far as the start menu. The point being windows's customizability in general though allows for tighter control.
As for accessibility out of the box, I can agree completely. However, depending on the laptop you buy that might not be a problem - this is why if you're going for a windows machine, you really, really need to look stuff up and not just go impulse buying like you technically can with the mac knowing it will work. Then again, if you buy from this blind-bst referb guy you're all set anyway. I know he's legitimate as people keep coming back with perfect reviews for him, plus I bought a Microsoft Office Pro license from him and it works.

2019-02-01 22:15:32

The thing is, most issues you are bringing up here are not Windows issues. How can MS fix Bios not being accessible and laptop manufacturers customising their keyboards? This being said, I have never in my life seen an inaccessible Windows setup process. Even if, let's say you had a laptop which is bloated and inaccessible to setup, there is nothing preventing you from just booting up a new windows installation and removing all that. Now you might say you cannot accessibly boot from another media, and while this can be true it depends. For most laptops, you can just google a key which will bring you into the boot menu, and from then somebody can just tell you how many times you should press down arrow until you get to your USB, DVD or whatever you want to use and press enter. Also, this is just once, and from that point you can memorise it and do a reinstall whenever you want. Windows does not work the same as mac and never will, however we must differentiate between Windows issues and bios. Bios is not something you will access every day, and if you really hate manufacturers modifying the function keys behaviour all you need to do is read one review for a laptop you plan to buy and you can get to know if this setting is changed in bios or not, either that or just read the manual online. On my laptop for example, I can switch this behaviour by just pressing function plus escape and it's pretty awesome. That being said, this is again not anything Microsoft can do about.

2019-02-01 22:19:15

Not just that but Apple is no different. The boot menu when holding down option is just as inaccessible as the BIOS/UEFI systems in laptops.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-01 22:57:56

Ah, but macOS has an accessible way to choose your startup disk, and Windows still doesn't. Microsoft needs to add Narrator support to the advanced startup options menu. Also, let's not forget that macOS has a system wide spell checker that works in any edit box. I love that!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-02-01 23:53:26

@85, the advanced startup options menu is apart of the windows boot manager. Accessibility can't be added to that. There are literally no advantages to Mac. None. None at all. Zilch. Zip. Zero. You can select start up devices in Mac? Well, you can do that in Linux too.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-02 10:07:38

Ethin wrote:

@85, the advanced startup options menu is apart of the windows boot manager. Accessibility can't be added to that. There are literally no advantages to Mac. None. None at all. Zilch. Zip. Zero. You can select start up devices in Mac? Well, you can do that in Linux too.

Yet again someone who don't know what he is talking about. If there are no advantages to the mac, then please tell me how you choose your start disk in Windows in an accessible way with speech like you can do on the mac. I am talking about the Mac OS and Windows OS, not Linux. Please also answer my other questions above regarding the guarantee of buying a laptop which is accessible out of the box.
Then, how do I navigate a website heading by heading or link by link just with one hand by using the arrow keys, in Windows? How do I make alt tab only switch between the programs, and not all the open windows inside the programs, like how it works on my Mac?
How do I make a Windows run so stable that the computer don't need to be restarted for three months like my Mac?
What alternatives can I use for Audio Hijack, Garage band and Logic which are just as accessible and easy to use as those programs? No, Reaper is not the answer since it is complicated unlike Logic and Garageband.
How do I make VLC Player fully accessible in Windows?
How do I send sms messages from a Windows computer through my iPhone, like I can do on my Mac?
How do I synchronise all my contacts with my phone to a Windows computer, without using Outlook, like I can do on my Mac?
For those who are blind and for some reason only can use one hand: How do they make sticky keys accessible with screenreaders so it announce the keys they press, if they are locked and released? That works with Voiceover. I have not seen that work with screenreaders in Windows, but I might have missed something which makes it accessible.
Again, you clearly don't know what you are talking about, but try to argument with bad comments, just like you know everything. So, maybe you should get some  experience with a Mac yourself before posting. If you have a year of experience, then you should explain yourself better. Write your own experiences instead of posting links with facts or bad reviews etc. as you usually do, when you are in the "bad argument mood." Everyone can search on Google and post facts and bad reviews. But your own experience is totally different. People are starting to take all your posts for absolutely nothing, because you constantly argument the hell out of everything in negative ways, without actually having your own experience. Instead of just skip the topics where you don't have anything good to say, you spend your time on constantly posting negative and bad comments, and you do it like you know everything in the world, which you clearly don't. If you continue to do that, then people will simply skip your posts in the future, which I do most of the time, because I choose to focus on the positive things in the world.
So, I'll recommend you to shut up and skip this topic, or answer all my questions I have asked in this topic, and tell about your experiences with a Mac computer and how long time you have used it to proof that there are actually 0 advantages of using a Mac computer.

@Jack: The store you are talking about, are they selling computers world wide? I need a computer with a danish keyboard, which is different from the English keyboard.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-02-02 12:31:41 (edited by Nocturnus 2019-02-02 12:37:57)

@SLJ,
While I agree with you on the points you emphasised above, you might take a step back and look at how you're coming across yourself.  I know we don't know each other very well, and in all reality you probably have no reason to listen to me, but you need not get so defensive either and resort to suggesting someone's character is all around bad just because you find them entirely disagreeable.  It makes you look just as bad, particularly if you want to prove that you really do have a point to prove.  Trust me on this one if you can bring yourself to do so; you actually do have a talking point.
@Ethin,
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with SLJ and post 87 on this one.  To say that using OSX has no advantage at all over windows is over stretching it.  Where mainstream and audiogaming are concerned I'll give you that you are more or less practically right and, even the mac party has to agree, that gaming is best suited to windows users as the market stands entirely.  Perhaps on other fronts such as audio editing, producing and sound designing, video and photo editing, accounting, and record keeping and maybe even developing we can also get them to agree that realistically there aren't really greater perks, that the playing field actually favors windows versus mac, and that if it weren't they wouldn't bother booting into windows at all and just leave windows users be.
But there really is such a thing as Apple's ecosystem of products, something Microsoft with its billions of dollars cannot touch without Apple's permission, and even when it does only begins to scratch the surface.  I mentioned earlier that iTunes works similarly on windows and Macs; similarly, but not the same.  That is of the greatest importance if you've bought into Apple and its myriad of resources, hardware and software, physical and digital.  On windows, iTunes wraps everything up into what Microsoft believes is a convenient little package.  On Mac OS, nothing is centralized, which means you can get both what you want and what you need based on your own customization, spread out across the system Apple itself has manufactured and curated based on its customers and noone else.  MS is still trying to appeal to the greater general public; Apple is interested in keeping its users and getting its users to promote its platforms.
And this is where hard hitting products such as iOS and iPhones come into play, because Apple knows that if you buy one device you're likely to buy more and more of them.  Unlike MS which gives you the flexibility to choose from a massive amount of services with which to sync up all of your devices if you have a ton, Apple tells you to set them up through initial processes then to forget them, after which, everything will just work.  Take a pic with your iPhone and it's available on your MAC, your iPad, your TV, your watch, etc.  Edit a document on your mac, and the same holds true for all the other Apple devices you have.  Receive a call or a text message but you don't have your phone within arm's reach?  No problem, answer it on your mac if you're at your desk or your watch if its on your wrist.
And because Apple still has full control over the design of all of these devices, pushing updates to them is much, much easier without the likelyhood that something is going to break along the way, unlike MS where an update might nullify a driver from a third party vender, or cause some other piece of software not to work the same.  If something does go horribly, horribly wrong for whatever reason, there's only one place you have to remember to take it to, the Apple store.  If your windows PC breaks and you don't possess the knowhow on fixing it, you google if you're brave or, call a family member and hope that he or she can help because you don't want to shell out money, or you call a tech support line number and hope that works, and if it doesn't you take it to the store you purchased it from and hope that works, and this isn't taking into consideration that there are things like hoping you haven't violated the terms of any warranty you may or may not have purchased for the device in question, the differing expertise of the people who will be handling your device, etc.  The average windows user can spend hundreds of dollars on his or her PC and end up with a crackerbox full of crumbs and bloatware to boot.  You don't spend upwards of 500 dollars with a mac to not know what you're getting.
So yes, there really are advantages, especially for hardwired, every day mac users who have always known the system and loved the system for all of the reasons I've outlined above and more.  To say otherwise is just as bad as a mac user suggesting to you that you're an idiot for spending so much time learning the ins and outs of your windows system which to them is twice as unreliable and requires more of your effort and patience to get right, when there's just works, period, along with the money you'll be spending to upgrade the hardware they don't need to switch out for years to come.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-02-02 15:53:14 (edited by jack 2019-02-02 16:01:46)

@SLJ I will, like last time, actually take the time to address some of your concerns. At least the ones that I have a definitive for.

SLJ wrote:

Then, how do I navigate a website heading by heading or link by link just with one hand by using the arrow keys, in Windows?

ObjPad for NVDA. Yes, it's an addon, that makes the arrow keys behave in different modes depending on what mode you have selected. You have normal mode, object mode which lets you  flat-review with just the arrow keys which, in a way, it almost exactly like voiceover, then you have the mode we all want to hear about, web mode. Up and down arrow keys change navigation level, left and right actually move you by that navigation level. You have the ability to change the mode select key command, which is good as the initial mode select gesture (ctrl+nvda+tab) isn't exactly one-hand friendly.
Audio Hijack is where the mac will definitely shine, however I'd say if you already have a mac, i.e I personally wouldn't impulse-buy a mac just for Audio Hijack, just as when funds are tight I would rather take the time to learn Reaper than do Garageband. Matter of fact the transition from Goldwave to Garageband was initially confusing for me because the simplicity of keyboard gestures wasn't there, i.e a plain windows with everything nicely laid out in menus or accessible via keyboard shortcuts. I eventually got used to it just fine, but your situation involving it being confusing to transition from Garageband to REaper is exactly the same. You got used to one thing, and aren't really up to learning another.

SLJ wrote:

How do I make a Windows run so stable that the computer don't need to be restarted for three months like my Mac?

Ok, have you ever used a windows machine with an ssd? That's not rhetorical, that's an honest question, as hdd's in general are rather unstable. Before I upgraded my hd on the mac, I was forced to run my virtual machine on the seagate drive I had. No, it wasn't a backup plus slim, it was a repurposed brand new desktop sshd (hdd with a small amount of nandflash) that I had put into a USB Sata enclosure. So it wasn't 5400rpm, it clearly was 7200, so I thought it would be fine. It absolutely wasn't. Virtual machine would crash on the daily, you were lucky if it even ran fast for more than a day, and I was constricted to Windows XP just because of the hdd, windows 10 was an absolute trainwreck on there. Never mind the fact my machine has 8gb ram and the 2.7ghz intel core i5 (don't ask, it was the highest mbp2015 they offered me at the store and I couldn't go higher.) But 8gb of ram is pretty high-end anyhow.
Once I got my Transcend Jetdrive 820 internal ssd which upgraded my mac from 128gb to 480gb, I was able to store my virtual machines on the ssd and they have been able to run for several days at a time. And windows 10 even runs decently well on there too, though XP is still my energy-efficient choice if I'm running off battery. So if a virtual machine can run well on an hdd, then Windows on its own definitely can. Now, here's what's having me hold on to the mac. I haven't found a windows machine that has a pciE gen3x2 bus for the hard drive. Which again proves my point that it's the software i have a problem with, the internal hardware is fantastic.

2019-02-02 15:57:37 (edited by jack 2019-02-02 15:58:23)

Not sure about your Danish keyboard inquiry, but here's a typical example of what Kevin offers for computers. Being a trade list, machines are offered as they're available, but they're pretty similar in quality. He does ship internationally by the way. I'll doctor the email address so that it doesn't get subject to spambots, but just replace the words with the proper symbols. Oh yeah, and these refurbs have a clean install of windows installed,, so you're guaranteed no bloatware.
Fast HP Elitebook with I7 processor and 480gb solid state drive!
Asking $350 plus shipping.
Turbo boost speed to 3.6ghz - now that is quick for a laptop!
At the same time if this one is not for you, but you know someone who
could benefit from this one; please share the information.
Here are the specs on the laptops.
Model HP Elitebook 8570P
Processor Intel I7 3rd generation 3520M running at 2.9ghz and turbo boost
to 3.6ghz
Hard drive 480GB solid state
Memory 8GB
USB 2.0 - 2 ports
USB 3.0 - 2 ports
Networking Gigabit ethernet and Wireless N with blue tooth 4.0
Optical DVD+/-rw
Display 15.6 inch wide screen
Keypad with number pad to the side
Additional features are present but not listed above
A new clean install of Windows 10 Professional 64 bit edition is running
on the laptop
Comes with a battery that holds a good charge as well as an original HP
power adapter

Asking $350 + $17.65 to ship to locations in the U.S. For locations
outside the U.S. applicable shipping charges will apply.
To purchase or for questions contact Kevin at:
nocm at_sign juno periodcom
or call
801-765-4329

2019-02-02 16:37:28

@roelvdwal, I would be interested to try a mac. Amusingly enough, I was in my parents' local Apple shop yesterday, looking at Iphone bluetooth keyboards and trying to get a gryphon survivor case for my Iphone 8 (both of which I failed at), and I did actually hit command f5 on the mac which brought up voiceover, ----- the only problem was the speakers on the demo model in the shop were turned up max so  made everybody jump, and then appologised profusely because I couldn't turn the thing off big_smile.

I'm afraid for me trying a Mac is in the same category as trying an android device with talkback, its something   I would be vaguely curious about  and would do if I have the opportunity, but not something I really want to invest in seriously without some practical reason to do so beyond curiosity.

I will also admit that as far as moving from Xp goes, I was down right wrong about what problemms Windows 10 had, particularly surrounding interface, access to the hd and backwards compatibility.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-02 19:14:41

@dark

command f5 also turns it off smile.
In regards to trying a mac, I didn't try one before I bought one and regretted it slightly. Turns out Macbooks are very capable Windows machines too, at least some models are. The more high-end Macbooks actually have 2 gpu's, the internal, low-power gpu for simple tasks and the external, high-end gpu for when you need more speed. Unfortunately, Windows on the Macbook can only use the external gpu, which drains the battery in between 2 and 4 hours, which was the reason why a friend of mine sold his Macbook. Luckyly, my model only has the integrated gpu, so I get threw the day with eas. There are not many people that know Windows can work on a mac, so it's more often than not a subject of conversation.

Regarding windows xp, I know  we had a somewhat heated discussion ages ago. When it comes to security though, I tend to ask myself the question what a computer doesn't do when it is secure. For example, about 2 years ago, the WannaCry ransomware basically swept threw organisations. It used a 2-month old exploit, which was patched in all supported versions of Windows, which windows xp was not. If you're running an unsupported browser, it's possible or likely you'll be infected even by sites you know, for example this one. It has to do with adds, these are surved by a third-party company and if a malicious ad gets threw and hits the browser it has the same rights as running an exe directly would. That exe can do all sorts of nasty things, but a trend  is to encrypt all valuable documents like word documents, music files, video files, zip archives etc and then demand payment for releasing them. I know I went on a rant slightly, but security is much more important to me than as you put it the huggability or speed or amazing backlit keyboard.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-02-02 20:12:37

Well the more I use noscript the more it tries to block clickjacking and other malicious injections. Actually, technically speaking, Wannacry shook the world so much that even Windows XXP got the security update patch. Granted, it just so happened that Windows XP Embedded for Point of Sale was still being supported, so I guess they figured it wasn't much work to push it out to everyone.

2019-02-02 20:19:33

True, but you probably don't use your windows xp vm for anything sensitive. So if something were to infect it, you either reinstall it, or go back to a good snapshot or whatever.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-02-02 20:25:42

I'd not disagree that security isn't an issue, which is another reason I wanted to move off Xp in fifteen (which was honestly far later than I should've done), however my problem with the security debate is again security is often the be all and end all to many computer arguments. At the time, one of the major problems with the discussion of Windows 10, is everyone was so busy saying "well xp is not secure, windows ten is updated, you must be secure etc etc", is that nobody actually mentioned that with the exception of Dos programs and the BGT games, Windows 10 would also do all the things that Xp did anyway, plus a lot of other things such as work with modern browsers

\One of the issues with "security" is that whenever it is mentioned, you get the cyber equivalent of hardcore survivalist nutters telling you how insicure everything is and how unless you use such and such a program and four different anti viruses, and remove everything from your hd and reinstall each month you're going to be flooded with ransom ware big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-02 21:36:51

Yeah. I wouldn't go purposely stress-testing the vm because it's my primary, and I could always make a backup penetration virtual machine for testing purposes if I was inclined to see if a software was infected if people think it is. Because viruses can't spread outside of a vmdk. I would never use, nor advocate using, windows xp as a primary on bare-metal, as there's no reason to anymore.

2019-02-02 21:42:09

Eh...  macs are more or less blindie status items at this point.  Everything that can be done on them can be done in Windows/Linux.  With the exception of ProTools/logic, you can probably get your shit done and in some cases get it done faster on other platforms. The windows out of the box experience is solid at this point, Cortana will even ask you if you want narrator switched on if the device your setting up windows on has a microphone.
All the momentum and potential apple had with voice over has been long ago pissed up the wall in the infuriating pursuit of becoming iOS like.
Normally the default response to the question of "Who uses a mac?" is anyone who works in the field of content creation but apple seem determined to shit on these users (who were their bread and butter) at every single turn.
It's not even like the hardware is especially good any more, Apple does not want to sell you a piece of gear that you'll still want to use 5 years down the line, they want you to be pissed off with the thing you spent thousands on a couple of years ago, this will insure that you're obediently salivating over the new shiny.
They have been caught doing this to their phones and the utter garbage they're spewing in the courts to defend themselves is laughable at best.
The new t2 chip is slowly making it's way into  all of the mac line and although apple will tell you they're doing this for...
S E C U R I T Y, couple this move with the fact that they are fighting against your right to repair and a different picture gets painted.
Apple seem to be set on the course of  shafting their potentially dwindling consumer base as hard and as much as possible and you're going to get developers who will flat out not want to develop for mac OS/iOS purely because of this.
It is a sad state of affairs honestly.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2019-02-02 22:30:01

And this, again, is what would make Jobs roll in his grave. This era of Apple is, probably, worst than the old Microsoft in the Balmer era.

2019-02-03 05:53:31 (edited by Ethin 2019-02-03 06:34:37)

@SLJ, So just because I make a statement that's a fact I don't know what I'm talking about? Right, like that makes any sense. The only reason you can select your startup disk in Mac is because they use a custom firmware that nicely integrates with Mac OS. Windows does not require such a custom firmware. That is literally the only advantage I can see in Mac -- you can select your startup disk. Sorry, no big advantage, my computer firmware has that in its boot manager already, and I've figured out the layout already. And I can do that in Linux with grub-reboot (or efibootmgr). Please stop claiming that I don't know what I'm talking about without actual evidence to prove your point.

My Github

2019-02-03 07:26:07

Something that quite frankly won't be a huge issue when Aira, and Aira Access, is able to go more international. Can't predict anything on that, obvious networking restrictions and all that to be concerned about. But perhaps make it a priority when you buy your machine - the first thing you do is either enable cd/usb boot from bios, or memorize that menu, so you don't have to worry about it again. Unless you're ordering online, you could always have someone do it for you. And because of the custom firmware of the mac Ethin mentioned, Bootcamp is artificially banned from booting anything other than signed windows images. Although you *should* be able to boot Linux still, at least on an mbp2015, but last i booted Jenux it gave me the dreaded variable prefix not set error and never got past that, so there ya go.