2019-01-27 06:05:55

Hello everyone. As a Mac user, I get frustrated by the lack of available audio games for the Mac. I know some people are trying to fix this, but I'm encouraging all developers to follow suit. You may be asking why. First, some of us just aren't comfortable with windows. Now that the semi accessible version of wine appears to not work anymore, we have to use windows to play most games. Some of these absolutely refuse to run under the latest version of windows. This means we have to install extra software, since Bootcamp no longer supports windows 7. In addition, this can also cause a bunch of unwanted junk to show up on computers. Second, marketing to both Mac and windows could mean an increase in sales. Every game developer who makes commercial games wants and needs more money. Well, I hate to break it to you, but your sales are kind of limited by not selling to Mac users unless they have the extra software. Since a bunch of us are using Macs, we want to be able to natively play these games without the aid of another piece of software. That's what windows users get to do, so why not Mac users?

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2019-01-29 02:35:46

The market is headed more towards mobile than Mac, so if we're talking strictly in terms of ROI here you'd get a much bigger bang for your buck if you ported to mobile and left the Mac alone...

Nowadays though I'm surprised more games aren't available for cross-platform, especially with more developers moving away from DirectX and C-style languages, no longer having the aptitude for it, to easier languages like Python and Javascript.

But no, I don't think the ROI itself should convince anyone to bother with cross-platforming to Mac. We haven't seen a large adoption in the blind community of Macs for developers to really be bothered with the challenges of cross-platform development on this system. Go mobile if you only care about the money, not Mac. There are a relatively few Mac users who make a lot of noise but when push comes to shove they're not a big enough audience to really make a difference in the bottom line.

2019-01-29 05:34:43

Ntm in games like Oh Shit, that I created, porting to the Mac and getting proper signing, which is highly recommended and in fact I've heard that some versions of Mac Os don't even like you to run unsigned apps, it's a cost of $100. I'm in college, not doing this full time, only barely committed to anything; basically just coding when I'm bored and have time; I don't feel it necessary or beneficial to spend $100 to port a free game over to Mac.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2019-01-29 06:49:15

That and, well, mac users knew what they got themselves into when they bought a mac, it's not a gaming platform, so the devs who put forth the effort to make their games run on it, all to the good, but its really not a great platform for gaming. It also comes with a bunch of challenges I can't even begin to talk about because I'm not qualified.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-29 08:37:53

Hi.
I agree that it would be nice to have more games for Mac. The Mac platform is indeed also made for gaming. There is Steam, Gamecenter and the App store. You can of course also install downloaded applications.
However, us who have chosen a Mac are not limited to this platform. I have used virtual machines since 2009 for gaming, and it works just fine. Bootcamp is also an option, so I don't complaint.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-01-29 08:50:59

In the end, it comes down to these facts:
* developing for multiple operating systems results in more development times if you don't have cross-platform capabilities in mind from the get go.
* developing for Mac always requires a Mac itself, even though it might just be to debug and test things in certain cases. Even though you can probably do this via a virtual machine from within Windows to, its more convenient if done from a real Mac, which is rather expensive.
* signing packages and apps requires you to access a developer account from Apple, which itself doesn't cost only $100, but $100 per year.
So, in the end, if you already happen to possess a Mac and maybe even got the Apple Deveoper ID already, it shouldn't be a problem for you to port your games to Mac or even develope them especially for that platform, but if you don't, its utterly expensive and no, the few Mac audio gamers won't compensate the pre-investment necessary to make the game available for that platform in this case, even if its a commercial game.

Don't blame the developers here, its Apple who does things unnecessarily hard for developers here. If Apple wanted to enhance the developer's user experience here, they would improve the cross-platform access so that you can build Mac apps natively from windows so that you don't require a Mac to do this, or even reduce the Apple Developer costs, but nope. The developers shouldn't be the ones to be blamed here.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-01-29 10:30:10

The only good thing about the mac are the voices, everyone knows that. They are horrrible. I think you should just get a nice pc with Windows, preferably Windows 10, if you don't like the new start menu, you can fix it with Classic Shell or StartIsBack.

Best regards
T-m

2019-01-29 10:46:44

Hijacker said everything in my mind. Of course I do agree that it would be cool if we could do that, but it's hard, as I can't even express how much it is hard in English.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2019-01-29 13:30:55

tmstuff000 wrote:

The only good thing about the mac are the voices, everyone knows that. They are horrrible. I think you should just get a nice pc with Windows, preferably Windows 10, if you don't like the new start menu, you can fix it with Classic Shell or StartIsBack.

Best regards
T-m

May I ask you: For how long time have you used a Mac to write such comment? If VOiceover is what people want, they can't get such stable screenreader on Windows. They can't get the visual Voiceover cursor as well, or the great web navigation, which is easier for a lot of people on the Mac than on Windows. That of course requires people to understand how it works.
Please give me Audio Hijack for Windows, or an alternative, which is fully accessible.
Again, I'm interested in hearing about your experiences with the Mac, and for how long time you have used it. Mac is not Windows, and Windows is not Mac Os. So your recommendation just don't make sence to me... smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2019-01-29 13:55:13

There was a time the company I work for wanted to release something for Mac. We got turned off by it solely because of two things: requiring a Mac to develop, and also the $100 USD a year for a developer license. Compare that to Windows where development is quite literally free.

I bet half these guys making audio games spend no more than a few hundred dollars in total to make them, and they end up coming out with decent audio games. On Mac, your cost is ongoing even if your sales flatten out and start to drop. When I was working on TDV, my cost went into sound design and voice actors, not development, because I was the only one developing. If I were to develop for Mac, this would certainly not be the case. And even with just sound design and never paying myself, TDV still cost about two grand to make. That'd be over three grand by now if Apple's development fees were in place.

2019-01-29 15:40:08 (edited by jack 2019-01-29 15:40:59)

Agreed.
Slj, you're forgetting a few things here. Tmstuff may be wrong on the only good part of the mac being the voices, yeah, he's wrong alright. Lol. But from a user's standpoint:
1. We're still missing OCR, we're dependent on the open source community to bring us a Tesseract-driven OCR solution for voiceover that depends on Keyboard Maestro, a $35 value. Keyboard Maestro's a fine piece of software but do I really, really want to spend that kind of money just for OCR when, oh, Apple has basic OCR on mobile but not really?
2. Voiceover ground to a halt for the first time ever on my mac, I mean completely crashed on iMessage, couldn't even turn it back on, can't end voiceover.app in activity monitor without, well, voiceover. Couldn't even shut down because hitting enter in the shutdown dialogue doesn't do it, had to force shutdown (fortunately I could freeze my virtual machine first though.) But voiceover may be good, but it has not improved for quite a few mac versions already and I expect more from Apple, especially with Narrator actually improving and improving fast.
That being said, it is perfectly reasonable to expect someone to run a virtual machine on the mac to play their games. While I don't agree with Fusion's constant upgrade cost, you are getting what you pay for at least when you buy it outright, and I guess you don't have to take the upgrade if you don't want to (I still have not upgraded to Mojave, and I refuse to!)
But Mac is a very developer-unfriendly gaming platform, oh by the way, Roag-amoeba has talked about the intense strain put on them by Apple since they're discontinuing 32bit support in the next mac os release. So you have the constant contract cost of being a developer, plus the constant move forward or get trampled threats from Apple.

2019-01-29 17:30:18

We shouldn't forget all the advantages Apple's system has.
* Development fees keep the App Store clean in regard of ad-only apps, virus and more and stop hobby-hackers from providing you with an infected app
* OS-provided VoiceOver integrates much better with the entire system than narrator or some 3rd party screen reader does, and to be honest, it will still take narrator many years until it gets even near VoiceOver
* the drop of x86 support enables all new and old developers to access all future-proof functionalities provided by all new systems, and to be fair here, the switch from x86 to x64 doesn't need alot of work from the developer at all, most of the stuff gets done automatically by the IDE.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-01-29 18:14:03 (edited by Chris 2019-01-29 18:17:01)

I agree with Jack. Apple could honestly be doing much better with VoiceOver and macOS generally. The fact that the entire system has been neglected for years speaks volumes to Apple's lack of interest. They're more concerned with their Apple Music subscription, Iphone sales, Apple Watch sales, and iPad sales.

MacOS is a great system with lots of advantages, but if they're not concerned with making it as great as it could be, I don't care anymore. The days of VoiceOver becoming a great screen reader appear to be gone. They haven't fixed longstanding issues in years, and they don't seem interested in VoiceOver or macOS innovation anymore. My next computer will not be a Mac, and this MacBook Air may soon run Windows 10 exclusively.

You don't necessarily have to sign your macOS apps or put them in the App Store. The Mac App Store is a piece of crap due to Apple's restrictions and no one really uses it. Honestly, if you're going to develop for Apple platforms, develop for iOS. As much as I don't want to admit it, iOS is the future as far as the new Apple under Tim Cook is concerned. The less I say about Cook, the better, but suffice it to say that he took a really great company and royally fucked it up.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-29 18:21:14

Google Play Developer account will cost you $25 (one time), Apple iTunes Developer account will cost you $99/year and Windows Developer account will cost you $19/year. These prices can vary as per their respective policies.
blaming devs isn't right here,
but you can develop for windows it's almost free,  or android tablets look the google play rules,  you paying 25 dollar for developer account,  which is being cheap
the market is filled with some cheap android tablets or windows computers you can get one instead
some guys will say me android fanboy,  the thing is i am iphone user currently now,  just i am giving here correct opinions
i just agree absolutely ios and mac need more audiogames but apple's higher cost, and strictly solid rules
best regards!

2019-01-29 18:38:22 (edited by Chris 2019-01-29 18:40:49)

Is the $20 per year Microsoft fee for the Windows Store? If so, I haven't noticed much adoption on that front. Just like the Mac App Store, the Windows Store is full of crap! No one uses it when just like on macOS, you can install traditional software from the developer's website. Sideloading third party applications on Android is also possible, so there are three platforms that don't rely on a central repository for obtaining software. This also means that developers get full compensation if they decide to sell content. If their apps were put into any of these stores, the respective owner of the store would take a cut from each sale. I know Apple does this, and I'm almost positive Microsoft and Google do as well.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-29 19:12:56

Covered a ton of that here, but I'm glad to see even more opinions on this subject.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-29 19:48:40

I'm finding this discussion interesting myself.
I heavily considered getting a mac in 2015, since at the time I didn't like the look of windows 10 but manifestly could no longer go on using XP which I'd used for far longer than I should've done by that point.

The chief reason I didn't in the end was basically that other than compatibility with my Iphone, I couldn't really see the advantage in a mac.

I tried one out, and the Vo commands looked a bit complex, which admitedly I could've gotten used to, and the ways the operating system worked weren't obviously what I was familiar with, but again I could've got used to it, but ultimately my thought was "why?! should I?

If I was going to be emulating Windows to play a huge baclog of audiogames, well why not use Windows anyway? And it wasn't as if I was a huge fan of  things like Itunes anyway.

My basis for spending time and trouble on any technology has always been "What does it do!"

Not some nebulous set of Superlatives.
It doesn't matter if you tell me that computer x has  seventy thousand  hoojamaflops of giga maxity, or an all new squiggly wiggly processor, or that its more secure or more faster or more huggable.

My question is always going to be "So what does it do!"

Thus, the only time I considered Windows 10 worth while was when I started to run into stuff I couldn't do on Xp, the only time I bought an Iphone was when I heard about games and useful aps on it etc.

This has always been my issue with a Mac. Where are the games and interesting applications and things to do that you can't do on Windows anyway?

I don't mean to come across as a Mac hater, I am certainly not a microsoft or Ios fan boy, or a fan boy for any software company really, I'd just be interested to know, given this discussion and the fact that even regular mac users like Slj are using Windows to play games what the practical advantage of a mac is, especially given that Macs are generlly more expensive than Windows pcs.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-01-29 21:18:32

Hi.
Regarding development: Nothing stops any developer to develop something for free in Python. That cost absolutely nothing, and it works fine on the mac. smile
@Jack: If you want to compare VOiceover on the Mac with screenreaders on Windows, you should compare it with Narrator, and not NVDA or Jaws. Where do you have the OCR feature in NVDA?
Nothing stops any developer to make a screenreader for Mac, like NVDA for Windows. I think the reason for people haven't done that yet is because they find Voiceover good enough.
I agree that Apple needs to improve a lot of things in Voiceover on the mac. However, that especially goes for Tv OS and the Apple Watch as well. VOiceover on those devices are really left behind, big time.
If people didn't liked VOiceover on the Mac, then they could just make an opensource screenreader, and then we can start to compare things in details. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.

2019-01-29 21:44:28 (edited by Nikola 2019-01-29 21:44:50)

If it was all that simple. First, NVDA uses built in OCR in Windows 10, so there you have it. Same goes for narrator. Second, developing in python does not mean you do not need to pay to get your app signed. Third, making an alternative screen reader just isn't possible, because Apple.

2019-01-29 22:01:08

19 says it all. Getting your app signed is the problem; developing for the Mac is perfectly free, but getting it signed and in the app store (where pretty much every apple user looks first for apps) is the very costly option. Of course you could market your game or product outside the app store, but you probably wouldn't get as much as you would if your app was in the app store. Its different on Windows and Linux where users are literally quite happy to search on the inerne and not in software centers or app stores for products. But on Mac, whenever you want to install an app, your told to always look in the app store first. And not very many people look beyond that. Some do, but not everyone.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-29 22:12:02

The thing is, you want to have all your ducks in a row if you're running a business. If you're developing free games, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm not really up on mac, I've used it in a VM, but don't know a lot about it. But I think you still need that developer account to sign your apps. Even if you don't, if there's a work around, again, for free games, that's fine, people will be happy to mess with stuff to get a free product working. You really can't be doing that if you run a business though, not if you want a good reputation, and repeat customers when you put out a second, third and fourth product. You want the experience to be as easy as you can make it, and that means having your app signed. Even at that point, you can still distribute it, even outside the app store. That last, is the crowning achievement. So, my question is, if someone is developing a free game, why should it be incumbent on them to pay the developer fees and get literally nothing in return. What they could do, and I think if this happened, there would be a huge backlash over it, but they could put ads in the app like there are ads in many mainstream apps. So the issue is more complex than just porting a game over.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-29 23:36:09

Its also not that easy to develope an own open-source screen reader for a platform that doesn't support it, namely Mac OS. It is possible for Windows, since Windows provides several accessiblity hooks (UIA, IAccessible) where screen readers can hook in and grab loads of useful information. Since Apple built their own screen reader, they don't need such hooks anymore, because VoiceOver already is a great screen reader and the reason Microsoft added those APIs for accessibility was probably because they realized that some screen reading technology would be needed, but they themselves didn't have the time to add a proper screen reader into Windows themselves, and if you look at narrator, they didn't even yet succeeded in providing a competitor for the screen reader market yet, even though they're gettin better with it with each release.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-01-30 00:29:10

@22
see
https://www.chrishofstader.com/the-fogg … r-issue-2/
for why microsoft didn't build their own screen reader, tldr: basically everyone else, nfb, afb, gwmicro told them that it was best to leave it up to third parties.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-01-30 00:49:32

To be honest, Narrator is starting to be a serious competitor to voice over. It will even support Chrome in the latest updates along with many other great things. It's just a matter of time before it gets to be the most successful screen reader if they keep this development up which I see no reason not to. And they still support 3rd parties so not like it means the end of NVDA or jaws.

2019-01-30 01:35:18 (edited by nyanchan 2019-01-30 01:41:06)

Although it's a personal problem, Japanese support in OSX just sucks. I'm Japanese, so I obviously want to / need to write some Japanese. But once I start typing in Kanji, it starts to get super hyper ultra buggy.
I doubt that the main developers in the US are aware of such a regional issue, which is honestly sad, because OSX itself is a great and stable platform. I used to say that I wanted to work at Apple to fix the issues, but there was no such a job in Japan, and even if I assumed moving to the US, the voiceover engineer details said "more than x years of experience using voiceover API" as one of the requirements. I thought like meh then.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.