2019-01-27 17:29:30

Hi, just wondering, is combat actually still fun and rewarding when it’s automated so much? Is there at least some stuff you can do yourself?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2019-01-27 18:08:15

I’m not honestly sure how to gauge that. Combat is not the central focus of the game, it’s just a part, the game’s motto is “fight, trade, build, think.”  Killing enemies for its own sake is probably just an exercise in reflexes and so forth, but you can still definitely get rewards from doing so, such as cargo they drop, or even repossessing the ship if you are lucky.

2019-01-27 19:08:56

capturing ships is tricky because you have to get the shields almost down to 0. i used to use the autopilot for combat. as soon as it says "target is now in firing range" you could start firing. be aware that with some lasers the HEPT's for example they do have some recoil so you can miss.

2019-01-27 19:18:01

Yeah, I like that firing range announcement. :-) It was part of what first attracted me to the game, because I was surprised that the thing would even bother saying something like that.

2019-01-27 19:28:14

I got the game yesterday, do I need any scripts to help me? also, can we play the abion prelude and reunion addons?

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2019-01-27 20:21:13

I can put the Scripps I have so far in a dropbox, though my ultimate goal is to try and see them packaged as a plug-in.  I will drop them in later today, and provide some directions for activating them. Otherwise, yes, I believe we can play both add-ons, although I have not tried either. The base game is sufficiently deep that it will take a long time, and generally the advice I’ve seen is to start with it and then only add the prelude later.

2019-01-27 20:39:01

so what actual scripts have you worked on and what do each one of them do

2019-01-27 20:44:45 (edited by zkline 2019-01-27 20:58:37)

At the moment, the only scripts I have are the trade prices script and stuff to support it. That will log the prices to log0150.txt, in the Documents\Egosoft\X3TC folder. I'm planning to add a cargo summary and a few other bits to it today, if I can.

THere's a hotkey to let you use that script on your station target, if you have the "Trade system extension,"" installed. Otherwise, you don't need to do anything to use it.

My philosophy is, I want to change the game as little as possible, that's why I have just one script at the moment to see how much I can avoid doing. smile

2019-01-27 21:15:09

could you write a script that gives coord information for the sector map? for example if you wanted to know where your solar power plant was in relation to your crystal mine or where it was in relation to a silicon asteroid mine then you could work out the best place to put your crystal fab because one of the primary resources for the manufacture of crystals is silicon. visually this would be easy to work out obviously but we can't do that. we would need to know coords so we could use the autopilot upgrade to say take us to here and then drop the factory so you can have the fab close to both mine and power plant to minimise travel times for transports.
also you'd need to make a script that deals with the factory screens like i mentioned before. so you can determine price what races can and can't dock etc. also i think you might need to develop a script that gives a layout of the galaxy map. it does use north south east and west directions so i wonder if the script could detail which direction the system is from another. for example you'd need to kno how to get from argon prime to cloudbase south west. that will become an important system as that's where the gona temple is and you'll have some missions to do there. but you'd need to know how to get there from argon prime. i don't even mean flying there manually you would need to be able to tell the autopilot where you want it to take you. one of the good things about the autopilot in the later games is that you can literally tell it to go from point a to point b and dock. oh by the way it's 2 south and 1 west from argon prime to cloudbase south west. lol that used to be one of my factory sectors. not to mention it's very close to paranid space.

2019-01-27 21:27:56

Hi.
I am also curious for the scripts, would be awesome if you could put them up to see how others would react to them.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-01-27 21:56:23

I can certainly try. Regarding geography, the galaxy map actually let you navigate from sector to sector using the arrow keys, and you can use OCR to tell which sector you’re in. It’s not perfect obviously, but it does make things easier. Also, auto pilot can navigate you to any sector pretty much whenever, which is very helpful, as you point out. I will definitely try and figure out the coordinates issue at some point. It’s also worth pointing out that many sites have information on where prebuilt stations are, and so forth,  which can be very useful for navigation and placement of things. The thing is, auto pilot can take you to any sector you’ve seen previously, or heard of, and it’s generally pretty easy to target sectors manually, so I don’t quite know what a script would do for us that is actually necessary in that case.  Still, I will try, though probably won’t have anything ready for tomorrow.

2019-01-27 22:15:30

yeah i know it does. i used to do that myself and use the video enhancements to enlarge the print so i could read the names of the systems. in the end i memorised the map.
the in system geography would be quite important especially for factory placement like i said. there would be no real way for the game to tell you what is around you like for example it won't say "free argon trading station west and down from currant posission." just making those words up of course but you get my point. if you wanted to create good production then you would want to group your stations relatively close together.

2019-01-27 22:21:25

Yeah, that's reasonable. I can probably come up with something for coordinates, just need to have a think about what exactly I want it to do. Part of the problem is that at the moment I haven't been exposed to the factory and station building side of the game yet, so this is all kind of abstract.

I'll keep everyone posted. FOr the moment my plan in the stream tomorrow is to talk about the basics of trading, navigation, and demonstrate what I have so far or what I can come up with before then. I need to take things one step at a time smile

2019-01-27 23:39:42

trade in stuff like ore silicon to make good money. argnoo is also another good trade.

2019-01-27 23:44:35

YEah, I'll probably start selling energy cells to factories like that for a bit, at least. I've been reading some starting guides with decent moneymaking suggestions.

2019-01-28 00:10:49

Hi.
Sounds good, step by step will be possibly the best way to make the game accessible.

i have to read up on the keyboard commands though, haven't yet found out how to undock and fly out from a station yet.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-01-28 00:14:37

Simba, to undock you hit "escape," from the station screen, and then "enter." It's not as seamless as the docking process.

ALso, when you undock you'll want to hit "s," a few times to bring your ship downwards, and away from the station. If you don't it's possible to ram into it unintentionally. You have to be a small distance away before autopilot will kick in.

2019-01-28 00:21:39

Hi.

Hmm ok, good to know xD.

Without wanting to sound desperate or anything xd, when would you be able to upload the current scripts that you haveß

I really want to try this now xD.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-01-28 01:12:16

ok zac some guys from Egosoft will be there tomorrow night. I've had it confirmed by Bernd over email. not sure who exactly but they will be there. at 7PM Germany time tomorrow night.

2019-01-28 01:37:03

Woho, that's good news I suppose, funny you reached Bernd on a monday morning.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-01-28 01:42:15

That's awesome. I'll try to give a decent demo. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to bind my trade script to a hotkey, which is probably going to require fussing with the controls menu, which is a little intimidating with its sheer size.

2019-01-28 01:43:07

well he actually responded back at 21:44 UK time and i only just checked the emails and responded back thanking him.

2019-01-28 01:46:09

well it would be a platform i guess whereby you can ask for their assistance if you feel that necessary. at the very least it will be exposure which could only be a good thing for us in the long run.

2019-01-28 02:03:34

it's my hope that they could take all this on board for future titles.

2019-01-28 12:55:35

the stream is on twitch correct?
If any developers would be there, then it might be possible to chat with them?
I have issues with twitch's login page, it is completely inaccessible with NVDA. you guys have any workarounds? or i should think of a third party app to open  zack's twitch channel to chat

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi