2019-01-18 16:43:35

Hi all,
Yes, you are reading this right. Apparently there's a ship assistant available for Alexa, that can read information on the star system you are in (including coordinates), and can put power to your engines, raise your landing gear, and do other stuff that the elite API supports. I do not know the full extent as I don't have the game so I can't test, but the fact of the matter is, if you can control your ship with something as cheap as an Echo dot, that would be utterly amazing. I don't know how playable this will make the game, mind you, but I think we might be able to control some functions.
You also have to install a console app that acts a bridge between the skill and the game. I don't have the exact link to the skill right now.
What do you guys think of this concept, though?

2019-01-18 18:15:14

Well, I don't think it would really help all that much tbh. There's still combat, and even if you play as a trader, you may still be shot at, so you'd have to run. Then to play the game, you're gonna need a HOTAS setup, or what's the point. Elite:dangerous is a game you really want to fully immerse yourself in, or what's the point. SO you get all that stuff just to find out that the Alexa thing can help with some things, but then lacking in others. Now, voice attack is under $10 last I checked and people have made profiles for that, but yeah its not enough. The game is just simply too visual.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-18 18:46:53

And....... that's a generic ironcross response for you there.

joking aside, sounds great. I probably wouldn't mess with it, maybe, But i'm pretty sure sometime in the future we're going to have more comprehensive voice control add ons for these kind of games.
So anyway, the thing that's very interesting for me  in this case is that he also developed the assistant to retrieve information from the game and say them out loud. This means that he has full access to the game's variables most likely. So maybe if this game had a couple of blind fans they could ask him to  include more of those informational reports, like how multi crew experience does with FSX.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2019-01-18 20:00:00 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2019-01-18 20:02:01)

Hey yeah, its a start! Although I do feel mostly the same as 2 when it comes to console games for the most part, hence why i won't play gta or most things I can't finish solo because just running around the map making trouble without a good reason is boring to me, the fact that the existance of this skill opens opportunities for experimentation and progress is undeniable and exciting! Never heard of another game that did this before so who knows, maybe soon. Anyone brave enough to try this?

2019-01-19 00:32:37

there's possibly potential but i do have to agree with 2 here i wouldn't shell out the money for elite dangerous myself. you still need to be able to fly from point a to point b, trade, fight and all the other things. there's potential there but very small if you ask me. not really worth our time at the moment.

2019-01-19 03:34:21 (edited by magurp244 2019-01-19 04:28:51)

Wait, there's an Elite Dangerous API? Hmm... Looks like alot of the third party API's and tools are located [here] and [here], it seems that players are tapping into a rather verbose Player Journal log file the game streams out to a JSON file when logging events, the log output types with descriptions are listed [here], though may be a bit out of date. Some of them even include TTS for NPC and player chat.

Looks like the Player Journal covers things like docking, location, supercruise states, landings, damage, shield state, interdiction states, detailed scan data, and a host of other functions. Hm, the location data is event specific to startup or take off though, not much on orientation or current state data like nearby ships, current status, etc. Lets see here...

Seems the more up to date 3.0 Player Journal documentation can be found in [this] thread, direct links [here] and [here]. Looks like players regularly make requests for changes to the journal to get more feedback from the game, asking they post requested features in the bug or suggestion sections of the Elite Dangerous forums, such as [here].

Edit: According to the newer documentation there seems to be a few functions added that could be useful, like ModuleInfo which shows what modules are installed and what the power distribution currently is. There's also apparently a new logfile called Status.json that regularly updates with the ships current state, including altitude, latitude, longitude, and heading.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-01-19 10:30:14 (edited by magurp244 2019-01-19 10:33:24)

For the curious the link to the Alexa Skill's [here], with a video demonstration [here].

Its written in Node.js with instructions and a VUI diagram which can be found [here], with github for the source [here], and a forum post on it [here].

2019-01-19 16:14:25

Oh man! this is completely awesome. I'll bet you since we can deploy and retract our landing gear, we probably can even dock with planets and stations as well. Oh man, now all he needs to do is to figure out how to let us do things planet side when we're docked like buying and selling goods and so on, and we would be good to go. Man, this is so cool. Now if they'd just figure out something similar for something like eve online.

2019-01-19 22:25:50

you're forgetting combat and other such stuff. navigating between systems? you actually think that it would be playable for us at some point?

2019-01-20 04:36:10 (edited by magurp244 2019-01-20 04:50:09)

I think its important as always to temper ones expectations, its hard to say how well this may all work just yet. From what I can tell by the video the alexa interface doesn't seem to steer the ship or pick jump points, there's also nothing on targetting or setting a destination to go on yet, although there is an autopilot. I could give a better analysis if I could mess around with it, but I can't run Elite Dangerous, nor do I have an Alexa.

On the topic of combat though, it depends on a few things, like occupation, affiliation, load out, etc. There are stealth systems in the game which is registered as heat, so you could design a ship to run silently and avoid most fights. Some players largely explore uncharted space, or join humanitarian groups like the Fuel Rats for example. There's also a variety of types of weapon mounts, such as fixed, gimballed, and turret, which reflect a degree of auto-aiming and targetting involved. I think you still have to have your target in the screen, but the gimballed and turret weapons do the rest.

Players can also play solo or in a private instance of the game with friends, if they so choose.