2019-01-17 20:03:59

I posted a research topic a couple of days ago, but was not able to provide Details as to what our plans were, or what exactly the research was for.
  This topic is partly to fix that, and gage the interest level of people/ visually impaired blind users for an app, description below.
I am working for a US based startup, that's been working with AI for a while now, and plans on developing a software that's hopefully able to help with some emotional issues that we face, or get people talking on a deeper level.

Many things need to be Ironed out, and it all depends on how much interest there is for such a thing, and its still on the drawing board as it were, but if people show enough interest, it will be developed.
Here's the initial concept.

Its going to be a downloadable app, for both Android and IOS.
Think of writing a letter to a friend or someone in the family, but without actually sitting down and doing it by hand or voice dictation.
Or for people that have trouble talking, that is wanting to communicate with someone, but don't know what to say. or are not able to say or express themselves as well.

Its going to be backed by an AI and here is how it will work.
You download the app and exchange your Avatar with the person that you'd like to communicate with, the Avatar  would then stay with you and ask you questions throughout a set period, say a week or as long as it takes to write a letter for the other person.
It would sum up all the answers that you've given to it into a letter for the person on the other end, and of course they would be expected to do the same for you.
When the letters are done, both of your avatars would return to you with a letter for the both of you, which you could then open and read.
The letters could contain anything from what's been going with you or them, to where you've been, up to the deepest thoughts of the person. All of it of course would entirely depend on you and the answers that you give to the Avatar.
This I believe would help many people who feel alone, isolated, or at times just want need a person to communicate  with as emotional support or need that emotional connection with someone, or simply don't have time, but would still like to stay in touch.
You could also recieve such letters if you so wish from foreigners that is people who aspire to learn English. Their English would of course be good enough to understand, and there by learn a bit about their culture and tell them about yours, and make friends that way whilst they get to improve and work on their English, as well.

If this is something that interests you, and you'd like to use it, please use this link to sign up for news and updates about the software, and a trial too when the software comes out.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp … usp=pp_url
As I said though, this will be developed only if enough people find it interesting and useful, so get as many of your friends to sign up as you can. obviously, we won't sell or spam your Email.

We are also conducting research study on this, that is taking interviews of people that are interested, so if you think you'd like to help us with that part, please get in touch with me on Skype or my email ID.
Email: nishantrana3[at]gmail.com
Thanks again,
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-01-18 00:26:55

This is a really interesting concept. So if it's a pen pal type of thing, rather than you already knowing the person with whom you want to exchange letters, how will the AI match you with people who you're compatible with? Will it be used as a dating app, or strictly for making friends? Since sensitive information will undoubtedly be shared using this app, what, if any, encryption will be used? Finally, if someone uses this app to harass someone, for example, will that person be banned from the platform? In other words, will there be rules in place, or will it be more of a free-for-all like Vorail that you would use at your own risk?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-01-18 08:54:05

I wonder what that AI code will look like.

2019-01-18 20:08:56

It is just awesome, I love the idea, I took an interview for it and all I can say is, thank you for doing this.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-01-18 20:19:17

You couldn't pay me to do it, but I'm old fashion, too.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-18 21:36:41

Yeah, I'm a little bit wary of it myself, it seems like a whole lot of drama waiting to happen. however, it is a unique concept, and I don't want to crap all over the idea. Depending on the answers to the questions I posed above, I might try it if it becomes available just to see what it does.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-01-18 23:41:53

I dunno; google-plus seriously freaked me out back in 2011 or there abouts.
True story: google has so much information tied to me that, when I decided to try google-plus for the first time, ever, ever ever ever, it told me I should follow a friend of mine, and its second result, no joke, was Entombed creator Jason Allan!  If google can tell me that much about myself just based on my email address, I don't even want to know what this service might be able to do.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-19 00:19:30

I tend to shy away from a project touting AI as the main reason for using it, because AI has become a buzz word over the years and many projects nowadays use "AI" for places where it's not necessary, just to say they're using "AI."

In this case, I think a simple template model will do just fine. Where an actual AI would come into play would be if eventually you could just tell the program to write a letter for you without you going through a series of questions, and nowadays since ANNs can easily be run (if not trained) on phones because of the great hardware, this is possible to pull off if you engage the AI in online learning.

@2: I think it's too early for OP to answer your questions; they did mention that they are still at the drawing board on the thing and development hasn't even started.

I'm interested to see what comes of this. I remember there was a company at MWC at 4YFN in February that was doing something similar to you along the emotional capture lines, but I don't remember the name of the organization and if they even got funded. So it might be worthwhile to look around and find them.

These sorts of experiments are pretty awesome and I'm intrigued by your company's willingness to explore new ideas. Good luck!

2019-01-19 02:09:30

Well, the encryption question is definitely something they should be thinking about, at least in theoretical terms, and that does need to be answered before a lot of people will take it seriously, I think. I take your point about the others though.

2019-01-19 07:06:28

Hi.
I don't really understand what this app is supposed to do. Couldn't you just text or facetime or facebook messenger or whatever else? I read post 1 several times, and I can't figure why I would be interested in an app when there are so many alternatives that sound les complicated besides. It sounds like a slow and awkward way to communicate with people, in my opinion this company should focus on something else, something more useful. This doesn't sound like it would be the next million dollar app.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-01-19 08:45:58 (edited by defender 2019-01-19 08:52:37)

It's an anonymous electronic pen pal, essentially.
But instead of writing a letter freeform, you'll be asked preprogrammed questions (which you can skip if you want) and the answers will be used to construct the letter, I assume that's where the AI part comes in.
It seems like an interesting way to learn more about people with drastically different lives, but with most of the icebreaking already taken care of for you. It could brighten your day when you get a new letter from someone you've grown a connection with, or it could help get your stress out sorta like a journal entry but this way you know someone is listening.
The low grasp of English from the developers isn't super promising though (if the questions are difficult to understand it will also be harder to answer them) and I see the encryption concerns, but honestly as a non famous  person I'm not that worried about people specifically seeking to read my inane self centered ramblings anyway. I assume this app is going to need a minimum of personally identifying info, so I'm not too concerned about that angle either... And it's up to you how in depth you want to get with the other person as well.
I can see this being more popular among older folks, but honestly allot of blind people are pretty isolated regardless of age, and I think something like this could have a positive impact on their mental health.
That said, with TT, Skype, and various forms of text chat, it's easier than ever to speak to someone on the other side of the world. And for people that have no difficulty starting up a conversation this may not be as useful do to the slowness.
I think the novelty of the medium alone is pretty interesting though, as most of this generation or even the last probably never did the pen pal thing in school.

2019-01-21 07:43:10

Hi,
Thank you all for the comments questions and the interest in the research interviews so far.
@Munawar, I will be sure to look it up.
We are in the funding stage ourselves, and the link that I have posted in the first post to sign up should act as an interest gage.
and I myself believe or at least from the people that I have interviewed so far, something like this app could prove useful to people that don't have many friends, or and if they do, don't know what to say or how to say it. Or people that are were friends, are doing different things so don't have much to say, but through letters like these they can still keep in touch without having to sit down and actually write.

That's one angle and the other of course is the communicating with people from different countries, learning about their culture whilst sharing yours, and also help them improve their English at the same time.
and like defender said, how deep you go and the other person does is entirely up to you and the person on the other end.
turtlepower17, Thank you for your questions. I get the incription concern, and I will of course put it down in the suggestions at the developers for implementation if possible/ feezable.
Its exactly to know what people'd want, what not, how they'd like it and if there's a need for such a thing or if it will help people that feel isolated alone etc, is the reason why I/ We are conducting interviews.

So if anyone else here would be interested in giving me 15 20 minutes of their time for the research interview, I'd be greatful, however if you don't have the time, but are still interested or think something like this app would could help you or someone you know, sign up using the link in the first post.

@defender, yeah the registration form is a bit wonkey / could be better phrased I agree, but There are quite a few people working on the English end of things (yours truely included) so understanding Questions and their replys shouldn't be a problem.

@Guitarman. That's good on you, sir but there are people that can't do those things well, either due to time limitation, or simply not knowing what to say (not good at expressing themselves)
and Or having a person that you can vent to, or share your experiences with who actually understands you, I.E emotional support.
And to be honest with you, it doesn't have to be the next million billion $ app (although it would  be awesome if it were), as long as it helps even a 10th of that number of people.

Thanks all.
Grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-01-21 09:20:07

I'm glad to hear that you'll look into the encryption side of things, we'll see where that goes.

To be honest, I agree with Defender that this sort of thing doesn't necessarily need to be powered by an AI, although it puts an intriguing spin on things which I am quite curious about.

I would like to see such a system do something else, though. In an ideal world, people who are experiencing depression, which is often fueled by isolation, would be able to seek resources such as therapy if they need it. This can be harder for people with disabilities, especially if they don't have insurance, and only live on SSI or similar. There are online therapy platforms now such as Talkspace, which are supposedly cheaper while providing the same benefits as traditional face-to-face therapy. The problem is, are they accessible with screen readers? Most people who would want to seek such services would never be brave enough to ask that, especially since they would most likely have to do so on public forums, risking their names being tied back to the fact that they asked for such information, and we all know how great the stigma around mental health issues is. Even if you have a username which has nothing to do with your real name, you'd have to put a great deal of thought into making a different one, complete with a different IP address courtesy of a VPN, a disposable email address, etc., if you really wanted to make sure that no one, such as future employers, could never trace your question about seeking mental health services back to you. As blind people, we already face enough barriers to potential employment. If employers are even half as voracious in seeking information about their potential employees as I've been lead to believe, something as simple as trying to seek accessible resources in this vein could sink you.

My point is, this is why I'm pushing so hard for the encryption side of things. There could be a network of therapists, or even medical providers, who sign up for this, and agree to take referrals for clients/patients, while agreeing to be disability-friendly. This, in my opinion, is of far greater urgency and importance than a pen pal service, although I agree that the novelty of such a thing is what initially drew me to the topic.