2019-01-17 15:01:43

Hi.
I suppose I should explain myself a little bit. One of the classes I have in the training center is braille, and one of the things they have you do in there is reading practice, i.e., reading phrases out loud. For some reason that I can’t understand, I feel uncomfortable reading certain words out loud, which I won’t tell anyone for feer of embarrassment. Yes, these are regular every day words, and they aren’t offensive in any way. It also bothers me to hear people say those words, but not nearly as much as it does for me to say them. The feeling I get when saying these words is pretty much equivilant to being forced to take off all my clothes in public. I know this is a very strange issue, but I also know I can’t possibly be the only one with it. Does anyone suffer from the same issue, and if so, how did you overcome it?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-01-17 16:39:05

mm, that's a strange thing indeed. I'd advise practicing them? Never had this issue, although wen I haven't talked for a while or i'm talking really fast or I've been on a computer listening to synths talk really fast I trip up talking a lot

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-01-17 17:27:53 (edited by omer 2019-01-17 17:28:37)

ya know, i'M having difficulties of saying invulnerable, maybe because that english isnt my naitive language but, hee hee.
we are human you know you cant be perfect, well, but you can try to spell the word with seperating it to its syllables, well, thats all i can suggest, haha

2019-01-17 18:06:45

It’s not that I can’t say the words, I just feel uncomfortable and kind of violated when put in a situation where I HAVE to say them.

TWITCH

2019-01-17 19:42:03

That can happen to almost everybody, but this kind of embarrasement you feel is indeed quite strange. Have you ever tried to confront this feeling and understand why you feel embarrassed when you say those words?

2019-01-17 20:36:42

No, assentually my class forces me to confront this. I thought about responding by running off somewhere, but then I’d get in trouble.

TWITCH

2019-01-17 22:38:08

are you scared of messing them up in front of everyone? Are they close enough to words considered to be bad that your afraid you might slip? If not your gonna need to give some examples, sorry...

2019-01-18 03:00:51

Wow, the same problema for me happens, but only in Spanish "my native language". In English sometymes but typping (Wait did I was going to say "Typing"?), The most confusing Word is...
No, oulthough sometymes I have problems getting it right...

73 Wj3u

2019-01-18 05:09:35

This is clearly a phobia of sorts. It's helpful to know you're not the only one because feeling like a weirdo makes these things even worse. But this is a very small community, so because no one shares it, doesn't mean you're the only one who has it. I don't know what age you are, but the more open you can be about this the better. The trouble is that sort of thing gets a lot easier as you age. When you're young, the idea of being outside the norm is much harder to deal with. I for instance have suffered with paruresis for a long time. It's an inability to urinate in public lavatories, or anywhere that isn't completely private. It first happened when I started going to pubs at about 15. I felt like a child among men, and I'm sure this was the start of it. It's one of those things that is easy to reinforce, and very difficult to unlearn, so it becomes a downward spiral very fast. I'm 46 now, and last year went on holiday for the first time in over 20 years. The idea of being stuck on a plane for hours and not be able to escape to somewhere more private to use a lavatory was too hellish so I just didn't go on holiday. I wanted to go on holiday with my family last year because my parents are getting old and we rarely spend much time all together as a family anymore, so I didn't want to be absent yet again. The first thing I did was tell everyone what I'd been suffering from all these years. Just that one thing made things a lot easier. I started going to public lavatories with my dad, starting with quieter ones, then gradually working up to busier places. I went to the doctor and got some chill pills too just in case they helped, and everything went better than I could have hoped. I'm far from over it though, and if it wasn't for having bluetooth headphones and a phone so I could play music to drown out the sound of public noise, I would still have struggled. Anyway, the point of all this seemingly irrelevant waffle is that the first step is to start opening up about what you're going through. You should really think about telling your teachers at least. Admitting I couldn't piss in public because of shyness and insecurity was not easy, and the fact that none of my family had ever heard of this thing made it even harder, but it had to be done. Don't suffer in silence, tell people. You've made a start coming on here, so keep moving in that direction.

2019-01-18 07:32:43

There's a thing of sounds like probably butchering the spelling, its called mesophonia  or some such. It's not a fear as I understand it, though I guess it could turn into one, its like strong emotion, negative in nature related to certain triggering sounds. So if there is that, maybe there is one for certain verbiage.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-18 16:37:18

I can relate to this, definitely I can.
I grew up with a really, really strong hatred toward my birth nickname, the one my parents gave me. In Thai culture, nicknames are important since first and last names tend to be long. I never felt comfortable with that given nickname. It took me my own sanity to force my parents to accept that I can't stand it. I'm now using a name I come up for myself, taking it strongly as my identity, something I whole heartedly give to myself.
My hatred toward that stupid ass nickname is much to the point of either I can kill someone just to have them shut up (i never do, just feel like doing), or get the hell away from whoever say it and have severe emotional outburst, sometimes self harming, even trying to strangle myself once because of it. The worst part is I have to type it in nearly every mud or text game I play all the time. I try my best to ignore the feeling whenever I have to type it, but I know it never goes away. I have nightmares and frequent recurring thoughts about it even if I don't want to.
My psychologist says that it's the symptom of ptsd, but doesn't really do anything besides telling me about some kind of safe lock technique where my thoughts are like something i can obscure and lock away in the safest part of my mind. To be honest, it works sometimes but only with my own thoughts. I don't know how well I can handle it if someone says that word right at my ear now. I don't wanna harm anyone, not even myself. I know it's stupid, but I can't stand it.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2019-01-19 08:59:55

Why do you use that name in MUDS, the hole point is to escape.

2019-01-20 04:44:53

No, It's not a name. It's a word that was unfortunately given as my nickname. Thai people tend to have random nicknames such as beer, ice, cat, love, or some shit like that, even direction words or verbs sometimes. Imagine seriously hating the name cat and have to type k cat or whatever cat in muds everytime you see one. My former nickname isn't that, but still. I can't even stand words that sound similar.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2019-01-21 02:36:54 (edited by defender 2019-01-21 02:37:52)

Oh, I see. Yeah we have nicknames in the west as well though not as common any more and most don't follow us out of childhood, they can be insulting or just from a time where we were a very different person as well. Many people won't say anything to their friends even if they dislike it because they feel it would be rude...
Too bad it's so common.

2019-01-21 02:45:52

Dan_Gero wrote:

For some reason that I can’t understand, I feel uncomfortable reading certain words out loud, which I won’t tell anyone for feer of embarrassment. Yes, these are regular every day words, and they aren’t offensive in any way. It also bothers me to hear people say those words, but not nearly as much as it does for me to say them.

Without knowing exactly what triggers this reaction in you, I can't say for sure whether I can relate to your situation, but what you're saying does sound an awful lot like something I dealt with especially when I was a kid.
I'll give a few examples of how it applies to me. But of course I can't promise that it'll help you in any way.

One word that I struggled to say was reach. I'm okay with it now, but when I was a kid I had a hard time saying it because it was just an uncomfortable word for me to have to say, and now I partially know why.

One of the things that fascinated me as a kid was different aspects of piano playing, since I played piano myself. For some reason, I was always interested in the physical technique. Probably because I was super self-conscious about mine, and at one stage I switched teachers and ended up with a good but somewhat intimidating teacher who seemed to have a third eye for spotting uncurved fingers, badly placed hand movements and the like. The whole thing actually led to a fascination with hand dexterity which is too embarrassing for me to talk about on a public thread that has nothing to do with it, but suffice it to say that one thing I often thought about was the fact that I couldn't play a lot of the ideas in my mind. I always loved big chords, even though my hands weren't big enough to play many of the ones I thought of, and I wasn't good enough to give a clever illusion of playing them. Thus I had to take compromises which I knew other pianists who were better than me had either overcome, or didn't have to consider in the first place. My consciousness about it got so bad that, even when I was reading a story where for example someone was reaching up to a shelf to grab an item, I got this picture in my mind of them reaching for something they couldn't physically grasp, but they kept trying anyway, with the same frustration I had when I realized I can't play this epic thing in my head. It was, to be honest, very distressing for me, and the word reach just became this loaded word that made me uncomfortable. I also was conscious of how stupid it was that I couldn't say this simple sentence that has nothing to do with me personally, and on that vane, I just gritted my teeth, at least figuratively, and got through it, and hoped nobody noticed that I was being odd about it. I suspect they did notice, because I'm not good at hiding things. Lol

There are other words that I had similar feelings about too. Some were negative like the one I described, and others were actually positive. I overcame most of them now as I got older, but then again a lot in my life has changed, and I have friends now who I can talk to about odd things like that and we can have interesting conversation about topics that we don't talk about every day. So that helps me just unload my odd thoughts. And the simple act of articulating these thoughts is all my brain needs to disconnect from these connotations of benign words.

I'll give another example of a funny word association but this time it's a positive one. When I was really little, I believed I could tell the difference between colors by texture. I was never able to experience color, but as a little kid I of course believed I could experience it. If I couldn't see it, I could feel it. So when people would pass me something and call it purple for example, I tried to catalog that texture as purple.

Well one time we were reviewing shapes in a class. The teacher passed me a smooth circle piece, and asked me what it was. I said circle, then asked what color it was. She told me yellow, and the circle felt so smooth and shiny and pleasant that the word yellow just seemed to be a perfect explanation. Yellow is smooth. Yellow is shiny and sparkly, it's glassy and light. It's round, clean, finished to perfection without a single impurity. It was something completely unreal for my 6-year-old mind. I even liked the word, it was sunny and bright. But I always had an odd word-to-texture association game in my head, especially when I was a kid. Everyone thought I liked yellow because of the double l, but a double l wasn't important to me, and in fact the mention of l ruined it because l just sounds rough and jagged to me. Anyway, everyone kept buying me yellow things and I very quickly learned that color and texture have about as much to do with each other as rocks and the letter z. In other words, there's no link at all.

I guess in conclusion to all this, words and associations are very mysterious things that you probably aren't meant to understand fully, but knowing at least something about what sets them off gives you a lot of insight I think. There are even scientifically accepted reasons for certain associations (synaesthesia). But I don't think that's what I'm talking about, since a lot of my associations come from some sort of experience I've had.
Hope this was at least an interesting read, and that you come to understand your difficulties in mentioning certain words!

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.