2019-01-13 05:19:46

So I was at Arkansas for a month and my time there was very well. There was things I took notice of.
1. I loved all my teachers for my first month of evaluation and wile I did not get into the program I wanted too it was a very good thing that helped in preparing me for the world of being on my own.
2. The Laundry, Yes the laundry think of it like this. Consumer grade washer and dryers for about 20 people.
3. I noticed that a lot of the girls I interacted with really weren't interested in talking to the guys. I remember one day walking into the lunch room and literally noticing girls on one side of the room and mostly all guys on the other side. Also with a few exceptions for some guys on the girls side.
4. We had to manage are time. We were given a schedule of classes and and we had to be there on time.
5. We were aloud to go off campus just at night because of the area we were in the advised us to stick in groups of two or more.
6. There were always people coming and going. There was uber and lift cars picking people up and things like that.
7. One of the things I didn't like was that they observed you in public areas and they used that tords your evaluation even if you may have done good in all classes.
So that is all I can think of. I want to hear what your time was like.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2019-01-13 09:59:09

I love World Services! I was there from January to September of 2018 in the IT Desktop Support Technician Program. Most of the staff was fantastic and I learned a lot.

Most folks were easy to get along with aside from a couple of asses, but you're always going to encounter a few of those people no matter where you go. I was surprised to find a wide age range there. I think I was among one of the youngest at 20.

I'm currently trying to go back for part 2 of the DST program to get more training and earn my CompTIA Network+ and Security+ certifications. Sadly, the government is being difficult. They're saying there's no guarantee of a job and that I should go to one of the schools in Texas. My problem is that there's no guarantee of a job anywhere, and I don't know if I'll receive the same level of training from a standard college or technical program. I loved interacting with the IT director/instructor. I could ask questions and get hands-on practice with most of these concepts. I also found it useful to talk to a fellow student who was twice as old as I was and thus had more experience with this stuff.

I'd say it's well worth it if you're considering one of their programs. Sure, there were a couple of staff members that left a sour taste in my mouth, but I had a very positive experience. If I hadn't, I wouldn't want to go back as much as I do. I have to figure out how to convince the government to let me go back for a few more months so I can finish what I started. It's ridiculous! They would have no problem sending me to a two or four year college, but sending me to Little Rock for 6 months maximum is a big deal. Damn paper-pushers!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-13 11:01:47

I was there in 2014. I left because I didn't feel like I was learning anything and also that time I tried to ask a question and accidentally got a staff member to rant about how blind people can't go to Wal-mart without meticulous planning and handlers was a special kind of suicidally depressing.
(It turns out that blind people can, in fact, go to Wal-mart whenever they feel like it, although the whole having someone around to identify things visually thing is muy helpful.)
Also-also the people were above average in terms of being completely uninteresting, which is quite impressive, considering how I feel about most people in general. The two people who were not so drifty were the tech guy and an LCB grad. The latter was only there for a few days after I arrived.
One thing I do want to compare to LCB, because my reactions confuse me, are the Large Group (WSB) vs Seminar (LCB). The former was mostly just gathering and talking about whatever the person leading that day thought we should talk about, which was usually either generic "if you could x" stuff, or political topics just old enough to no longer be fronts in the Culture War. The latter were entirely about blindness (at a place where we were supposed to be NOT! defining ourselves by blindness...). So why under the light did I hate the former, and not feel all that negatively about the latter? I suppose the latter was a mix of too over-the-top to take seriously, combined with occasionally asking questions people would have experiences to answer with? And the former was so generic and impersonal and presumptuous and all the doll people around a table in a tiny library taking turns replying to generic with generic to be good citizens or something? It kinda felt like the WSB version was soul-sucking, and the LCB version was either amusing or a waste of time, and also was being treated like people gathered for a casual but structured meeting? And also I could sit in the corner and no one would complain if I'd just grab a book or start writing something, other people fell asleep, the people were, on the whole, more engaging ... IDK, I'm just speculating, because this one really confuses me.
Maybe WSB wouldn't be so terrible post LCB, but pre-LCB, it just made me want to die.
Herseth's points 5 and 6 are particularly interesting. I never felt like I had even that much freedom at WSB, but even then, it sounds terrible, like something you'd apply to a residential high school, and then only because of modern paranoia and liability around minors. And, uh, actually, I think that might border on more restrictive than the residential high school where I spent my jr/sr years. True, the HS required checking out / in with time and destination, with weekends having fewer restrictions. And there were specific places unenforceably forbidden by the school, primarily because of the one icecream shop being run by a rapist. Yet, somehow, trying to go anywhere at WSB felt dangerous and patronizing in a way that stopping at the RLO on the way out didn't. Also there was that time we got an exception during the most hardcore day of the year (Science Fair was the biggest deal at this school) because someone wanted to take me somewhere for my birthday.
So, uh, I think I'd describe WSB as everything negative about a boarding school and a school for the blind, without many of the positives.
Oh, and the WSB cafeteria served Veal, often. Veal, the type of meat that even anti-vegetarian South Park agrees is absurdly cruel. At least they had a vending machine with braille on it. ... That was nice.

It sounds like WSB improves over time. The tales from 2006-2010 were much worse than what I experienced, and what I experienced seems marginally worse than what Herseth and Chris experienced. Nevertheless, every point of comparison I have puts WSB on my crap list.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-01-13 19:08:49

Are you talking about the groups were if I even braught the problems with the blind I was chastized by one of the girls. I don't know what the lcb was. The one thing that bugged me was the ati teacher he did not want to give me a nvda evaluation even after telling him that I hadn't used jaws in years and after going over his head did I even get anything done. I found that I was the only one from Indiana. Also I noticed that the school students were mostly the Liberal blind and most of the people I met were from California and ost of the people from that state were rather rood.

Bitcoin Address:

2019-01-13 19:12:07

@2 don't even get me started on colleges. My person from vr was strate up and told me that finding someone who has a degree a job took about 6 months to a year wile others who didn't have any degree it took them 2 to 3 months. I have found that people who have degrees are not willing to make sacurfises and they will not accept a lower pay because they think well I have a degree so I should make 40,000 a year and crap like that.

Bitcoin Address:

2019-01-13 23:56:15

@5, I was employed almost throughout my entire eight-year university career, and landed a (finally!) full-time, non-student job a mere one month after graduating. So whatever your counselor is telling you is by no means the blanket rule. I fear that all they're doing is discouraging all of you by feeding you guys these often-times skewed statistics by making the "you can or cannot get employed" decisions for you. I'd love to see someone on here who actually told their counselors to shove off and, despite what their counselors said, ended up gainfully employed. Anyone? Anyone?...

Yup, didn't think so. Now that is what you call lack of sacrifice and drive--the fact that you're willing to just listen to your counselor and not try because some government suit told you you've got no luck.

As far as the rest of the posts here, well, it sounds like a typical blind gathering / setup / social situation to me, so I'm not surprised to find any of these comments smile

2019-01-14 01:48:23

Never wanted to go to college so I didn't really care.

Bitcoin Address: