2018-12-30 23:41:56

Hi peoples.
So today I finally got my py delivered. I was wondering if anyone here could walk me through the setup process a little? When i first ordered it i sort of imagined there being a USB slot i'd use to connect it to my computer or something and i could handle everything from there, but although i can feel what i think is a USB port there's no cable i can use to connect it to the comp unless i'm missing something. Other than that there's what looks like some sort of charger, and a couple other things i'm not sure what they are.
What do i need to do from here?

2018-12-31 00:50:18

Well, the first question I have is what kind of pi? Second, you'll preferably need a micro SD card flashed with either NOOBS or Rasbian Stretch to be able to boot the Pi.

As for the boards layout, assuming you have a Raspberry Pi 3, you'll notice 3 blocks on one end of the board. Hold the board so those blocks are on top, and facing left. The block in the middle and lower left from that position are USB ports, 4 to be exact, two for each block. The upper left block is an Ethernet port.

Along the bottom you'll notice a row of spikes, those are the GPIO pins, 40 in total. The pins are sequenced from 1 to 40 and have specific functions, the one on the far upper right is the first, the one below it the second, the third is just to the left of the first, and the fourth below the third, etc.

If you start from the upper left ethernet block and work your way to the right, the first port you'll come across is the audio jack, just right of that is a thin rectangular CSI camera port. Further right is the HDMI video output, you can hook this up to a TV or monitor with an HDMI port for video and audio output. In the upper right is a small port, this is the micro USB Power Input, and is where you plug your power supply into. DO NOT try to power the Pi through the larger USB ports, it isn't designed for that.

Starting from the upper right, if you move down you'll notice another thin rectangular port on the far right side. This is the DSI Display Port, underneath this however on the right hand backside of the board is a small square port, this is where you would plug in your Micro SD Card.

Also, as have been mentioned before, be sure to check out [Raspberry VI], it has more guides and a mailing list that could prove useful.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

Thumbs up +1

2018-12-31 02:00:36 (edited by Chris 2018-12-31 02:14:57)

Is Noobs accessible? I highly doubt it so would recommend running the Pi headless with Raspbian Lite.

First, grab Raspbian Lite from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite_latest and extract the zip with 7Zip. Next, flash the image file using Win Flash tool which can be found at http://winflashtool.sysprogs.com/download/. Be sure to check the checkbox to hide hard drives so that you don't accidentally overwrite your main drive.

Once the image is written to the card, create a file that's simply called "ssh" without the quotes and put it in the root of the fat32 partition Windows can see. This should enable the SSH server on your Pi. Next, insert the micro SD card into the Pi, connect an ethernet cable, and finally connect the micro USB power supply. You will then have to find the Pi on your local network and use a tool like Putty to SSH into it.

As far as I know, this is the only way to accessibly use the Pi without resorting to a bunch of hacks to get Orca running. This is one of the reasons that puts me off purchasing the device. It's unacceptable that the Raspberry Pi Foundation hasn't included Orca in their Raspbian desktop OS. Once again, blind people are being ignored and left out even though the Raspberry Pi can be a very affordable computer and/or learning tool. Is there any way to contact them about this?

You may want to check out Ubuntu Mate which supposedly runs on the Pi. I don't know if it includes Orca, and it's version 16.04 which is rather old at this point. Check https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/. What model of the Pi did you purchase? I'm not sure if it supports the model 3B+.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.
You may access my NVDA Remote, Three-D Velocity, Sound RTS, and Road to Rage servers by using the address christopherw.me. Road to Rage uses the default 6789 port.

Thumbs up

2018-12-31 02:23:30 (edited by magurp244 2018-12-31 03:28:18)

If your tunneling in through SSH the accessibility of the desktop would be irrelevant, but yeah, if your not using the desktop environment which isn't accessible out of the box, Raspbian Lite would probably be the better choice. There's also a guide on Raspberry VI for setting up a MATE Desktop that boots with Orca loaded.

Thumbs up +1

2018-12-31 02:31:49

Thanks for posting this topic. As it so happens, someone picked up a kit call a zumspot which is a pi with a radio board that will act as a DStar hotspot for my kenwood radio. They were going to hand it to me over Christmas but was unable to make it. They did get someone to put the kit together for me, but I do wonder how the blind is supposed to put some of the things together that you can do with the pi seeing that I do not know how to go about soldering for those projects that need it. Yes, I am going to run mine headless, but to be frank, I will just have mine on the desk relaying my radio signels over the net.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-12-31 03:00:21 (edited by magurp244 2018-12-31 03:17:34)

There are a few ways to go about working with electronics, conductive glue, conductive tape, or using press fit headers and jumpers. There actually is a guide to soldering for the blind published back in the 80's [here] that could prove useful. For convience i'll repost its relevant links:

This series, which spanned several years in the Smith-Kettlewell Technical File (SKTF), describes how blind people do electrical soldering. Bill Gerrey, Editor of the SKTF, originally intended this series to be the beginning of a book on soldering and the techniques used by blind technicians. Since there are as many different soldering systems as there are fabrication processes and materials, the compilation of an exhaustive blind soldering tutorial would be a monumental undertaking. Since such a thorough tutorial has never been compiled, we offer the next best thing: Bill Gerrey's own experience and recommendations about blind soldering, along with the suggestions and input from avid readers and contributors to the SKTF.

The following links lead directly to the Soldering Series articles in the SKTF issues in which the articles originally appeared.

[Soldering I, (Fall 1980)]
[Soldering II, (Winter 1981)]
[Soldering III: Tinning Stranded Wire, (Spring 1981)]
[Soldering IV: Popular RF Connectors, (Winter 1982)]
[Soldering V: RCA and Motorola Plugs, (Spring 1982)]
[Soldering VI, (Spring 1984)]
[Soldering VII: Resistance Soldering, (Fall 1984)]
[JA3TBW Solder Guide, (Spring 1983)]
[Soldering Kinks, (Fall, 1986)]
[Vinther Fingertip Soldering Iron, (Winter 1987)]
[Temperature Control Vinther Fingertip Soldering Iron, (Spring 1988)]
[The Jameco XY168 Solder Station, (Summer 1988)]

Thumbs up +1

2018-12-31 03:04:35

@chris and @magurp244, thanks for your help. Now i’ll just have to hope my laptop actually has an sd card slot, i’m pretty sure it does, i’ll check. I’m pretty sure it’s a py0, not sure though, i had to have sited help ordering thanks to the Amazon site’s crappy accessibility in crome. It seems to have most if not all the things @magurp244 described, so that’s a plus. Another option would be to just wait until school starts up again, i have a friend who knows a lot about this stuff and can probably help me out. Thanks again for your help everyone.

2018-12-31 03:07:18

Oh and one more thing, if possible i’d kind of like to get ubuntu or debian since those are what i usually use.

2018-12-31 03:16:14 (edited by magurp244 2018-12-31 03:29:56)

Some laptops do have an SD card slot, but what you need is a micro SD card. Some micro SD's come with a larger SD card sleve for plugging them into standard SD card slots, but if that doesn't work out you could try getting a Micro SD Reader like [this one] from adafruit, or [here] on amazon.

Edit: Oh, and Raspbian is a [Debian derivative].

Thumbs up

2018-12-31 03:27:51

I see. Can you still use commands sutch as apt-get to install stuff? I ask because i was thinking about possibly installing wine so i could host game servers and stuff like that.

2018-12-31 03:29:17

Yes.

Thumbs up

2018-12-31 03:32:57

Niceness. Now to get the shit installed. Lol.

2018-12-31 03:36:09

Keep in mind that the Raspberry Pi uses an ARM chipset, like mobile phones, so running PC flavored x86 or x64 software on it could be a bit... tricky.

Thumbs up

2018-12-31 05:38:22

magurp244, you are awesome my friend!!!
In college, I studied electrical engineering and computer science, and my profs always hesitated to let me try my hand at soldering. I'll take a look at the links you provided, and maybe this will give me some ideas. I knew there was some successful blind engineers out there, but didn't know some of the prevailing techniques. I usually had to deal with breadboard and abstract VLSI and verilog designs. Although, I think for a beginner, learning the software part of the Raspberry Pi is a bit more practical. Then, diving into hardware is the next natural step. I can provide notes on how I was able to make my own MP3 player with a Raspberry Pi, portable battery, USB flashdrive, electronic components, and speakup as speech output system.

Click here to friend me on Facebook.
Click here to follow me on twitter.
If you want to add me to Skype, my name is lozano.edgar.
Please let me know that your from the AudioGames community if you wish to add me on any of these sites.

2018-12-31 22:00:31

I'd actually like to thank you for posting this topic, Charlie. I am looking into this stuff as well, but my school has a Py 3, I think.

------
Post brought to you by me.

2018-12-31 23:36:06

what about running the pi with ubuntu mate raspberry pie edition?

Thumbs up

2019-01-01 00:50:09

How do you run command line Windows server applications in Wine under Linux? The pi may not be the best thing to use. You'll be hosting from your home internet connection which isn't very fast.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.
You may access my NVDA Remote, Three-D Velocity, Sound RTS, and Road to Rage servers by using the address christopherw.me. Road to Rage uses the default 6789 port.

Thumbs up

2019-01-02 03:18:32

Chris, wine start your_program_name.exe should do the trick. As for internet speeds, i was mainly thinking about stuff like rtr, and with friends who are on the same internet as me anyways. If i actually wanted to do something seriously i’d buy a vps or something. Btw, post 14, since i noticed your location thing was the blind zone, are you the same guy as the one on youtube? Just wondering.

2019-01-03 00:09:13

I don't see there's much point wating until school starts. You can't set the pie up with wi-fi accessibly without first a wired connection anyways, and if you have a wired connection, why you'd want a wireless one is a mystory to me.

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

Thumbs up

2019-01-03 02:52:05

I guess i could try look into ethernet cables or something, or maybe a dongle. I’ve been wanting to do that for a while now for completely different reasons, so yeah.

2019-01-03 05:40:32

For those that don't have access to their outer to do ethernet, couldn't you connect an ethernet cable to one computer, then connect the other end to the Raspberry Pi? Just a thought, as that works with regular linux and I was considering getting a Raspberry Pi, but the router my mother uses is in the living room and I don't have access to it.

Thumbs up

2019-01-03 05:42:24

Oh yeah. Of course you would have to enable internet sharing on that other computer, which I don't find very hard. I've used this method to give an old computer internet access when I had it in Vinux. Sadly, that computer is history.

Thumbs up

2019-01-04 13:28:56 (edited by potterspotter13 2019-01-04 13:30:11)

Yeah, it can be done, but what's the point? The pie is designed to stay running and not be turned on and off. You can use a virtual machine to do everything you can do on the pie, if not easier, or just dual boot your existing system, and connect it directly to wi-fi. so, again, the point of doing this is?

Dark.

Thumbs up

2019-01-04 13:38:08 (edited by angel_diva22 2019-01-04 13:42:23)

@potterspotter13,

I don't know why others on the internet want to do this eather, but yeah. My friend Michelle had me buy her one and I was like, ok then, this is a project you'll have to stick with and figure out then.

I wasn't sure how she would get it running after sharing the connection from her computer to the pi and ssh in, at all.

Anyone got any ideas on what she would need to do to make it functional? I'm not even familiar with this whole thing. I've used regular Ubuntu, Vinux and Debian, but never pi-based distros. big_smile

Any help is appreciated, as I looked on the Raspberryvi.org site and there isn't much on what to do once you ssh in and all the videos I find say, but no descriptions of what they are doing and they just point at their pi, which doesn't help her and she is asking me, haha. smile

Thumbs up

2019-01-04 20:07:53

@angel_d:
You can't ssh if you're using the computer you're attempting to connect to the pie to the internet in the first place.
Unfortunately, this isn't a project you can just jump into, you have to be comfortable with linux, commands, and working around issues.

Dark.

Thumbs up