2018-12-22 10:15:31

Hello.
I'm very curious as to what you guys believe in and why. It gives me some additional insight into how people work and an excuse to tell people what I believe in.
My beliefs are a bit complicated to talk about. They aren't something you can really define in one word, but if you were to attempt it I'd say the word I'm looking for is Agnostic. In case you're wondering, the general definition of Agnostic is

A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

I'm not too sure if I fit under that term strictly. I believe that if you're a good person who's trying to do good things and contribute to society, then you will be going to heaven. I also believe there is a place for bad people to go. As for neutral people, the lines are a bit blurred for me.
I believe in God, but I do not believe in the ways people interpret his rule in books, i.e.,

If you're gay or you have sexual relations with someone without going through a traditional wedding, you're going to hell!

, or,

Anybody who does not fall in line with the exact rulings and religious practices outlined in this book will either go to hell or will be terminated by someone who does follow these rulings/practices.

. Yes, I am calling out both Christianity and radicalism, radicalism especially given the fact that it's a problem because of people taking the meaning of the books far too seriously and going far and beyond with their beliefs. But I think that anybody who's believing things based off the books has it all wrong, simply because the books are written by man. We can twist and turn things any way we like and sell it as the truth, so it's best not to believe things written in the books and instead go for believing that god wants us to be good people and simply acknowledge his existence rather than worship him at all times in all places under all situations, or thrust our beliefs in everybody's faces in an attempt to force them into a position of conversion or religious submissiveness.
OK, I have now gone over my beliefs. I am now curious to know what everybody else thinks. Also, if I have mistaken something, please point it out to me., I am not a fan of misinforming others. The idea of this post was to tell people about my currant beliefs based off of information I think is accurate (which is why I've done hardly any research for this discussion
), and to gain the opinions of others based off of the research that they may or may not have done so that I can learn something.
Thanks for reading.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-12-22 11:12:56

I believe that there are a great many things we don't understand, and possibly will never understand. I also believe that most organized religion is humanity's attempt to both make sense of things and also control others to some degree.

Is there a God? I don't know. Why are we here? I don't know that either. Do ghosts exist? Possibly. What about psychic abilities and magic? Again, possibly. Maybe quantum physics will explain that stuff someday.

2018-12-22 11:22:29

Yeah, to be honest i think it’s just a bunch of power hungry people trying to dictate how we think and live our lives. I’m not talking about people who follow religgons, only those that preach them. I suppose i’m more or less in agreement with shotgunshell.

2018-12-22 11:27:04

i believe in adriana chechik.

2018-12-22 13:08:59

I was raised Christian, but I have been an atheist for many years now. Organized religion just seems like a way to keep people in line. That being said, I have no problem with people practicing whatever religion they want as long as they aren't causing harm to others or using religion from a position of power to manipulate people for their own personal gain.

The idea that there is an invisible being in the sky who watches everything you do and keeps a checklist never really made sense to me. Once we die, my belief is that we simply cease to exist. There is no reward or punishment after death. I don't believe there is any purpose in life other than the purpose we give it ourselves.

There is still so much we don't know, but humanity is making progress. I have hope that in the distant future, we will have a much better grasp on the way the universe works. Many formerly unexplainable phenomena have been explained through scientific study. Science isn't perfect, but it is our best shot if we want to truly understand how the universe operates. To me, religions take all the mysteries of the universe and say, with no evidence to back it up, that "(insert random deity here) did it" instead of saying "We don't know why it happened, but hopefully we will some day."

2018-12-22 14:01:57

Hello folks! Well I do believe that there is/are powers that we can not understand and even name at work to keep balance. Religions are a way to name and try to approach said powers. I do believe in God, or Gods, the dungeon master that keeps the game running. I've studied and allowed myself to be part of many religions for about 14 years or so, and it surely taught me alot on what would be my personal beliefs.
"He lives in you
He lives in me
He watches over
Everything we see
Into the water
Into the truth
In your reflection
He lives in you"
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-12-22 14:09:49

Here's the thing about religion. A lot of the messages contained within most religious teachings are completely fine and I can see the point to them. I agree with things such as striving to help the poor, not harming other people, and not steeling what isn't yours. But I can't exactly subscribe to any of the organized religions currently in existence. Ever since I've started seriously thinking about things like these, organized religion especially the monotheistic ones stemming from Judaism simply look like an easy way to control the masses, e.g. In the middle ages the catholic church was able to effectively stop any scientific advances for a thousand years, at least those that didn't have anything to do with warfare, and if someone came up with a theory that didn't fit into their narrative, to the inquisition they went. Also you can't forget the church didn't translate their services or even the bible into other languages, so the people had to rely on priests to communicate how they were to live. I also can't get behind the classic view of an all knowing, all good and all powerful deity. Another example, if you ask a person who believes in the christian god why he would allow all the suffering currently taking place on the world, you usually get an answer along the lines of "Because of the fall of  Adam and Eve", or "Because it's required for god's great plan to be fulfilled". But if God is punishing mankind for the sins committed 6000 years ago, he can't be all good. Similarly if suffering must happen for god to reach his objective, he isn't all powerful, and if he can't figure out a way to complete his work without humans needing to suffer, he's not all knowing. This is why I can't follow these monotheistic religions.
However, I also can't believe the universe, the earth, and intelligent life didn't evolve purely out of random chance. Sure, time has had 13.8 billion years to get to this point, and 10000 monkeys on a typewriter will eventually rewrite the works of Shakespeare given infinite time. But if you look at a phenomenon like the big bang, I'm left asking "What the hell happened"? According to the theory the singularity that our universe must have been before suddenly expanded, and is today somehow still expanding at an accelerating rate. But the way I understand it, what happened was basically a giant explosion of matter, and explosions need at least two elements to react with each other. So why did this expansion of the singularity happen 13.8 billion years ago, why not 50 billion, or just 100? Something at that precise moment in time must have caused it. I'm not going to pretend I know what that was, whether it really was some ancient deity, a race of powerful aliens, or simple quantum randomness. But until I know what it was, I have no reason to worship it unless it shows itself and expresses such desires.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-12-22 14:44:44

I'm a Buddhist by heart, but I'm not like most Buddhists you probably know or heard of. I don't see Buddha beyond man. I believe in spirituality and the existence of all possibilities, even in parallel realities. But I don't focus on hell or heaven, for heaven and hell lies nowhere other than in my heart. Karma is a thing, but not a thing over hell or heaven. You do good, you know it. You do bad, you also know it. It's more of a sense of right and wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if I kill someone and they seek revenge upon me, because that's what I deserve for doing wrong to them. But of course I wouldn't do such thing.
I don't follow monks or people after Buddha much. Like many said, religions can be ways to power and people tend to keep making things up or bend existed crap to dictate those under the same believes. I'm all for love and peace, and I follow what I find makes sense in Buddha's teachings. I have my own way of seeing my own religion.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-12-22 15:58:09

Hello. I'm a wiccan/druid. I believe tha nature provides and we're slowly hampering that . I'm no tree hugging hippy or anything and i do believe in ghosts and what not. magic can't be explained by science it's an entity all it's own. I also believe that we were visited by aliens in the past which helped to shape our mythology.   If you think i'm a crackpot so be it but you did ask lol. I don't let this run my life. also santan is not inherantly evil he's the voice of free will if he even exists. but i feel that satan is a christian entity so i'm not realy a fan. The christian and espcailly the catholic religion is a corrupt orginazation. maybe not as corrupt as it was when it first came into being but still corrupt.

2018-12-22 16:52:59

http://forum.audiogames.net/topic/14206 … oderators/

2018-12-22 17:37:02

@10 I find that particular topic to be a conflict of interest, because while yes I am Agnostic and not Christian, I do believe the Quenton C moderators were in the wrong and are constantly in the wrong for multiple reasons. However, that particular debate is far out of the scope of this topic, so I would prefer that if we do talk about it that we do so in another topic.

TWITCH

2018-12-22 18:09:22 (edited by Mayana 2018-12-22 18:13:36)

Another atheist here. There was a line in one of Bo Burnham's songs that was something like "You shouldn't abstain from rape just because you think that I want you to. You shouldn't rape because rape's a fucked up thing to do." I love that line. I don't need any gods to figure out morality. I don't want any creep to be watching me all the time. I don't want anyone to suffer just for not believing in the same religion that I do. Do you know how fucked up that is? All these nice people around you, wonderful people, better than many of those who believe in your religion. All of them will suffer in hell. No one of us wants that ... right? If we have to make up a religion, can't it at least be a friendlier one?
Anyway, enough of ranting. I'm an atheist, and will continue to not believe in gods until I get good proof that a god-like being exists. If I get good scientific proof of that, I'll believe. Not worship that being, mind you. But believe that they exist, at least.
I understand that many people find a kind of safety in believing someone's watching out for them. Death's terrifying, so it makes sense they'd try to soften it up by believing that they'll never really die, just go someplace better. And our law system isn't perfect, so of course some primal side of us would want monsters to suffer for ever, however cruel that is.
So believe, if you want. Believe for yourself, don't try to force those beliefs on anybody else, especially not children. Don't refuse some scientific progression just because your god/s wouldn't agree with it. Don't harm anybody. Don't tell someone that they shouldn't get medicine, and should allow you to heal them with holy water or your healing touch or whatever instead. Whatever you believe in, just be a good person, and we'll get along just fine.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2018-12-22 18:54:46

@12 I believe there is a god, simply because you can't make something out of nothing. The universe and the planets within had to be formed in some way, I mean what are the odds that a few specks of dirt could just form a planet and a bunch of tiny oval-shaped creatures typing on keyboards and peaces of glass? Mind you, we didn't exist at first, but you catch my drift? Also, I'm not sure if we're oval or not, but that's what I'm guessing.

TWITCH

2018-12-22 18:57:23

How was the god made, then? What's the probability of there being a god that would do all these things? And if such a god exists, are they truly worth worshiping? I'm sure they could've done a much better job ... tongue

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2018-12-22 19:33:55

We may never know the answer to that question. But things like the big bang happening by chance is just, well, do the math, all of it, then, look at the  odds.  How was this planet, with such perfect conditions to support life created, with many others being  uninhabitable balls of fire. It may make a person think. As for my  beliefes, I believe I fall under the category of agnostic. I don't trust most  organize religions, because they seek to control. But I respect others beliefes, rather you  practice Christianity, Islam,  or a form of voodoo, so long as you use none of these religions to try to harm people. That's where I draw the line.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2018-12-22 19:34:06

From the moment we are born to the moment we die, questions of great importance all revolve around four topics, those being origin, meaning, morality and destiny.  How did we get here?  What are we doing here?  Why should I be good or bad?  Where am I going?  Ultimately, what, what is it all about?
Whatever question you ask in an attempt to establish a lense through which you can see life will revolve around those four concepts.  When tied together, all of these will govern how you live life.  If all of this is untrue of you, you have my respect.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-12-22 19:40:04

I like to look at others beliefes and see what I can learn from them, example , some native american beliefes, and say, there respect for nature, or a  religions morals. My morals are my own, though. I will do what I think is right, not what some religion says I should do.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2018-12-22 21:06:03

Wasn't trying to spark a debate. I apologize for any offense given.

2018-12-22 22:04:06

I believe in nothing an no one except that humans are by nature spiteful leeches, and that if you are not one than you are a happy anomaly. I do not care if anyone believes anything different, but I do care if you try to tell me I should believe what you believe as if it is the only correct answer. I think the "you can't create something from nothing" argument is a paradoxical one, with the reasoning that if the universe could not have been created from nothing, god could not have been created from nothing. Why do you think god is different than the universe? I believe that when you die, you simply do not exist anymore. This is a rather frightening thought because it means there will eventually be nothing left for us, but I don't believe in heaven and hell.

2018-12-22 22:41:37

To a finite mind, eternity will never make any sense, any more than a 4 or 5 dimensional world could make sense to someone who's only lived in one with 3.  It's like asking a person born totally blind to describe color or a completely deaf person to detail a musical selection.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-12-23 01:48:35

@12
Damn. You beat me to it. I was actually going to make a refrence to that verry same song.
You nailed it.

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2018-12-23 04:51:00 (edited by Chris 2018-12-23 04:58:46)

Organized religion is horrible. It's just people trying to control or influence others. You don't need a fancy building with a church service, donations, paid indulgences, etc to believe in God and religion.

As for my thoughts on religion, I think it's a bunch of bullshit. Where is this benevolent all knowing lord? Why doesn't he/she/it show himself/herself/itself? What made this entity? If God is a benevolent being, it shouldn't matter if I believe or not. We are all born with free will. I will not burn in the lake of fire as people claim. I do not need saving. If God is truly benevolent, I will be accepted no matter what. I think people cling to these ideas because it makes them feel better. The truth is that we don't really know what happens after we die, or how we got here in the first place. For all we know, we could all be in a simulation run by a species of beings that are far more advanced than us. If that's true, who created God? Who created the beings that run the simulation?

If people want to believe in this crap and it makes them feel better, they can go right ahead. Don't try to convince me it's true. Maybe I read too many fantasy books, but this all sounds like fantasy. Why has this all powerful being created us with so many flaws? Why can't we truly regenerate? If my retinas and other body parts could regenerate, I wouldn't be blind, I could grow new limbs, teeth, etc. If there is a God, I'm going to come with a bunch of complaints and suggestions for human version 2.0.

I'll live my life and be happy. When I die, I'll either find out that there's another realm of existence, or I'll simply stop existing and won't know or care. In the meantime, I don't want to hear bullshit from different religions. By the way, each group thinks they're absolutely right and everyone else is wrong. I say it's all a bunch of bullshit. I'll start believing in it when someone proves the world of Skulduggery Pleasant is real and we can do all kinds of fantastic things.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-23 07:47:45

i believe in islam.
the most remembering thing about our religion is that if the science is proving somethings back from 200 or 300 years, but the quraan had these things about 1400 years ago!
and quraan is the complete way of living the lives.
science had discovered all the planets stars and other things in the sky very late, but in quran, it was already 1400 years ago!
and it says, don't harm others or brake heart of others.
it also says, that look at all things around you!
and think deeply that how could have all these things formed?
if we will keep thinking we can not go further than the formation of this yunivers.
every thing has a connection with every thing.

2018-12-23 07:54:24

Ever since I let my family know that I don't believe in God, they have either been worried that I'll burn in hell or they think I'll magically change my mind one day for no reason. Many of them can't even comprehend a life without belief in God.

Supposing for one second that I'm wrong and there is a benevolent and all knowing god out there, he/she/it would accept me as I am, having created me and everything. If it turns out there is a god and he/she/it is a flaming asshole who would subject his/her/its creations to an eternity of burning in a lake of fire for any reason whatsoever, I would never worship such a deity in the first place and screw the consequences. Speaking of eternal torture, I feel that sort of punishment is overkill, even for the worst of humanity.

I tell people who ask that if I was presented evidence that there is a god, I would be willing to change my mind. However, I would have to see some damn solid evidence first. Many times, they come back with something along the lines of "Well, you can't prove that God doesn't exist." My reply to that is that it is not my responsibility to prove the nonexistence of God. The people making the claims are responsible for proving them, and I haven't seen any proof at all yet. Until the day comes where I am proven wrong or I die, I will happily live my life under the assumption that there is no god, nor has there ever been a god.

2018-12-23 11:09:00

It always amazes me, that the very people who say that those who believe in God are insulting by virtue of what they believe have no restraint or pause to think that it is an insult to call everyone who does believe in God deluded, narrow-minded, mentally challenged, self-serving, etc.  I could go on all day, but the point here is a rather interesting doublestandard.  It's an insult to believe in a creator that is objectively good and to tell the world; it is not an insult to bash someone and claim that such claims are beyond absurdity.  No... I neither demand an apology nor am I expecting one for beeing seen as less than rational, but it does hurt.