2018-12-18 09:05:36 (edited by musicalman 2018-12-18 09:08:07)

Hi everyone,
Let me start this out by saying that I have no ill will toward Mota or Thomas Ward, before people get mad at me for questioning a dead man's decisions. I'm merely curious about something and it's frustrating not being able to find an answer to something which I think shouldn't be so hard to find.

The other day I was playing with the old Mysteries of the Aztecs Beta that USA Games released in 2008, the one that came after Thomas Ward was forced to stop using the name Montezuma's Return. This version of the game had some epic music which would play during gameplay, though you could turn it off. You can download it here, they were just wav files installed with the game so nothing at all fancy is needed to get the files. My favorite tracks are action2 and action5, especially the latter. For 10 years I have wanted to know where this music came from. The bad sound quality of the music has always been a downer for me, though the production itself is awesome, and I shudder to think what this music will sound like at a higher quality. So recently I started trying to track it down just for my own curiosity, and to listen to the rest of the music from whatever epic soundtrack this is from.

What is starting to bother me is that I've done my research and things are not adding up. In the change log for this version of the game, it said that the ambiance and music tracks were changed to ones from Tomb Hunter II. Tomb Hunter II is not an actual game. But  I think Mota was planned to be in a Tomb Hunter series, so maybe Tomb Hunter II was going to be the second game and that was the music it would use? Seems kinda odd that he'd plan for Tomb Hunter II before the first game was still in design stages, though I guess I shouldn't be too surprised if that were the case.

I don't know how much USA Games was going for a Tomb Raider vibe, but I skimmed through the soundtracks of the Tomb Raider games before 2008 (since the Mota beta was released early 2008). The games that I listened to were:

• Tomb Raider

• Tomb Raider 2 - Starring Lara Croft

• Tomb Raider 3 - Adventures Of Lara Croft

• Tomb Raider 4 - The Last Revelation

• Tomb Raider 5 - Chronicles

• Tomb Raider 6 - Angel Of Darkness

• Tomb Raider 7 - Legend

• Tomb Raider 8 - Anniversary

• Tomb Raider 9 - Underworld

The first Tomb Raider seems to have the start.wav jingle, but that's all I could find. The last few Tomb Raider games come dangerously close, but unless I'm missing it, I can't spot the actual music he's using here. It's very possible I'm missing it too since I remember reading that Tomb Raider soundtracks weren't often released so anything you find has likely been ripped from the games.

There are also two Tomb Raider films before 2008 that I looked at: Lara Croft - Tomb Raider and Lara Croft Tomb Raider - The Cradle Of Life. The first especially has some promise but I can't hear the music there either.

IN the Mota intro, he does mention "music production by..." but I don't know how to spell the names. These names are not mentioned in the manual or license so far as I can tell.  so I can't look up composers. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here. Does anyone have ideas, or maybe has spotted something I missed?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.