2018-12-31 08:21:36 (edited by jack 2018-12-31 08:24:56)

kodi isn't hooked that deep into the machine. Any chance it could just be a package for the full-sized arch image, along with Kodi's addons? Who says there can't be a multi-use image? Lol.

2018-12-31 11:21:44

I pressed onto that everything image, the last one from the menu, it trew me afew erors, but I guess the thing was installed.
Now, can I use just a simple pair of headphones with the 3.5 jack?
I lost my USB sound card thingy.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-12-31 11:52:10

Am I the only one getting GPG errors with corrupted ones when installing or updating?

Ws trying to instal Seamonkey and had corrupted keys apparently, and nothing short of remaking a VM would fix it. Now remaking it...and.....again, corrupted or misssing or ignored keys? What's going on with that?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-12-31 14:08:07

One more:

Two things I noticed. 1. The kemu/freedos stuf doesn't appear to work if I maximize the terminal.

2. The installer works, the one from the iso but throws up a few possibly missing firmware messages after installing while running the post-install stuff.
Other than that, apparently waiting a ew moments fixed most things.

Okay, I misspelled my username, any easy way  to fix it? I'd like to change that if at all possible....and for the base it throws up a no chsme or mate session error when ya log in. Just putting that out there....but the whole install is relatively painless, once you let it do its thing, ignoring the head error about lines before it even downloads anything. Point is, it works, unlike some I'm not entirely bothered by the encrypted swap though I wouldn't mind an updated iso to be able to turn that off however, is there a specific reason it's set to always encrypt swap?

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-31 14:08:52

@Angel:

You  should be able to if it's a PC, Or Mac...but Pi, I dunno honestly.

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-31 16:36:36

Seems to boot well, but either flight is waaaaay too quiet by default, or my patch cord's having issues, whi9ch doesn't make sense because it works fine elsewhere, on the same soundcard.

2018-12-31 17:13:35

Greetings!

Just letting folks know, I updated the entry post to this thread here. I added info about the last known "fully accessible" Virtualbox, plus link to the .ISO file, for those who wish to download that instead off the Virtual Machine file.

2018-12-31 17:59:15

@Jack:

Flight's too quiet

@Queens/Hacker:

Question. Does the script figure out where the mirrors are, or is that hard coded into the ISO? I know I've said it a million times, but I'd like it if you could update the script to do the following for the Jenux installer....

1. Have it look in multiple places for the downloaded install script (the one it downloads) in case your site goes down again, and it's good to have the script in several places and telll the installer alright, Hacker's site is down, try Jack's, that works, alright download from there, else try Queens or Angel's (as an example)

2. Option to not have any encryption period, I answered no and still got encrypted swap, can you look into it and check if there'd be a way to say yes, I want it or no, and skip the encrypted swap

3. Is there a way to tell the install script to pick the fastest mirrors. There's no way a mirror in Holland is faster than one two miles away from me really, yet that's what the script thinks and given there's no easy way to change it?

4. More presets. For xample, a Kodi preset that'd have Kodi ready to go.

I swear I asked this earlier but didn't find a reply. For Kodi, isn't there a Kodi+screenreader+profile ready to go in the AUR? I mean, I got mine but...it's sorta out of date now. I should really update my one on DB.

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-31 18:01:49

@Queens: On Ubuntu and even Arch here I got little issue with Vbox but I'm fairly sure that is the last accessible version on both, I dunno, but I'll double check that.

Jack: I'd try every synth. Same issue with Flight volme and Hacker said it's embedded in the source code.

Also one more question....

Kemu speciic. How do I.....

a. Quit KEMU when I'm done using it. Alt+F4 the terminal seems a bit much

2. ind a way to quit it making DHCP connections.

3. Find more accessible games to play exactly? The other pacman -S "personal computer systems" gives an unable to find target error.

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-31 18:10:48 (edited by jack 2018-12-31 18:11:25)

Well, my wireless keyboard dongle doesn't seem to be working with the pi. The good thing is that this korsair k63wireless has a far-reaching usb cable.

2018-12-31 18:37:26

@Jack: For synths I'd suggest hrvoice or espeak as a loud and proud (lol) synth. hrvoice, the last one in the list on an iso install, seems to work good. YMMMV though as I ain't got a Pi, I'm testing in a VM with decentish specs for a Mate install.

Also, yes, USB keyboards are great. I need a decent one come next month....can't type with missing keys can I?

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-31 19:45:39

Thing seems to keep talking through the speaker (very staticy by the way) and not accepting me pressing ctrl to silence it. And yes, I am using the keyboard connected direct to usb this time.

2018-12-31 19:54:02

Also, I'm not seeing alarmpi or anything similar on my router's list of connected devices. Did it add the vmware network adapter in by default, and is looking for a network that isn't really there? Even my wpa_supplicant.conf has my wireless network info inside, which is equally strange.

2019-01-01 08:26:22 (edited by Ethin 2019-01-01 08:28:25)

@hacker
OK, I'm most definitely not impressed by your new "scripts" (which are just messy hacks). Now your using while loops that look like:
while true ; do
if command ; then
break
else
command
fi
done
So, your still of the opinion that we should endlessly force a command 'until it works'. As I have already told you, this *does* not work, unless in very, very particular circumstances. In situations like this however, this *does* not work at all. Either the command works or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, its not going to work again. So please, learn to put together scrips that *always* work, like the really good scriptwriters do (and stop making them so damn messy), and then come out with a new Linux distribution. Until you can actually manage clean scripting, I doubt I'll trust anything you come out with -- and even then, I most likely won't. And, of course, why the hell are you using speechd-up? I already told you in a prior post that that was deprecated, yet you still do it. Please.... look at the reasons that was deprecated and remove it, then *stop* using it. tongue

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-01 19:42:10

Ran into an amusingly hilarious issue...well not really an isssue, but more the addons the ISO installs. Turns out, apparently, if I jack noscript up to 11, it breaks absolutely every site. it even broke my test page on my local host. Er....what, I thought I cleared eerything ofa there. Nope, I didn't.
@Ethan: Have you considered submitting code to make the ISO better? Personally, I don't care how messy the code is or how poorly commented or whatever it is, as long as it works at the end of the day and gives me a working system. Which it does, by the way, it gives me a working system

@Hacker: Any chance you could redo the ISO at some point to use the LTS kernel or does it use that already and I just missed it? Though given reent updates to 4.20.x I doubt it. I'd much like an option to use the LTS kernel at some point, perhaps a mate-LTS and gnome-LTS presets a la Antergos that offer to install the LTS kernel at install time. Pretty sure Manjaro did as well, it'd be nice to have those presets for Mate/Gnome/base with LTS or with the current kernel, yanno?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-01 20:26:45 (edited by Ethin 2019-01-01 20:27:58)

@165, no, I both won't and can't submit any changes. I won't because the code is so messy its just not worth fixing; might as well redo it in Python or some other language that enforces cleanness. I can't because the code is incredibly messy and uses a ton of piping and other hacks that are almost impossible to figure out the flow of for it to work.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-03 22:26:00 (edited by hacker 2019-01-03 22:28:15)

@JaceK: I just added lts verses standard kernel after the software selection. Enjoy. @ethin: I agree that it is messy. In addition to producing a working OS installer, my motivation for this project was both to write a working OS installer, as well as to provide a way to teach myself shell scripting. As you mentioned in your last message, would you be able to provide contact information for these "real script writers"? As others have mentioned, since it is an open source project, feel free to write your own if you'd like. Since it is arch, I am not forcing the use of anything that I have made, I am just providing an easier way for the average user to enjoy the world of linux.

2019-01-03 22:51:41 (edited by queenslight 2019-01-03 22:56:40)

@Daniel
My question is,

would the jenux distro be able to include Emacspeak 49 in addition to everything else?
The Slint distro, is one of the only accessible distros with Emacspeak already installed out of the box along with the "speech servver" set up properly. Emacs 26, is already in the arc repos already, though Emacspeak is only at version 42, without the speech server enabled.

With Ubuntu, its the combination of Emacspeak 47 and Emacs 25, with the speech server properly set up.

2019-01-03 22:58:23

@Hacker:

Sweet. I'm running into an issue, however....the latest Arch speech-dispatcher requires espeak-NG, not regular espeak since that's apparently an Arch requirement now. So....I removed espeak, installed espeak-NG and for  some reason, it won't show up or be detected, despite installing correctly.  Ideas? I did sudo pacman -R espeak&&sudo pacman -S espeak-NG theneditedspeechd.conf to uncomment espeak-NGand comment out espeak. That....only resulted in espeak disappearing from the synths list.

Now, is the espeak listed in Orca by  default actually espeak-NG and I'm missing something, or....?

Also, idiot question of the day from me. I'll assume I don't need to redownload the ISO to take advantage of the standard kernel vs LTS change, right? I figured all that was in the script.

Couple of notes:

There's a bunch of head errors about invalid number of lines, and again, if you  can make the yes/no on encryption apply globally, i.e. encryption no = no for the swap too, that'd be a welcome change smile Unlike some people I don't care how messy code is long as it works in the end.

Also one more question. For the sudo pacman --syyu that I was curious about. Is there a way with Mate to hide the notification o X pakage updates available? I've got into the habit of saying alright, I'll upgrade my system on a Friday or a Sunday, I don't need to know any  other times of the week. So.....Can I easily hide the notifications?
Also, I absolutely love hrvoice,.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-03 23:01:09 (edited by JaceK 2019-01-03 23:04:53)

@Queens: I'd argue that emacs and emacspeak and so forth should go in the everything preset.

Atually, may I suggest this for presets at install time?

Base/Gnome/Mate/Everything as they are now.

Base/Gnome Lightweight/Mate Lightweight/Everything as alternative options for installing as well for people who want a streamlined system.

The lightweight would skip things like Virtualbox, thunderbird, the games, the LibreOffie, et cetera, since you can install those yourself afterwards. Just a thought Hacker, it'd also cut down on the amount to DL while installing, too.

So for example, a lightweight Mate install would skip out the programming menu,the games and LibreOffice, Thundrbird, t cetera but keep the core system fully accessible. Is that both doable for Gnome/Mate and worth doing? My issue with accessible distros is something Queens said, the 'oh can we have X Y Z' without thinking how it'll affect people. Queens, I'd argue yes, Emacspeak would be nice to have, but......nothing stopping you settting it up yourself on an installed system.

@Hacker: one more question. For the desktop, is there a way to change the panel layouts?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-03 23:42:44

Hi.
I really want to install this system on my computer. So far I've followed the instructions in post one but I'm having some problems. I downloaded virtual box 5.2 and tried to install it. I get to the install button, but after I press it, it just says preparing to install please wait. I hear a few status beeps from NVDA then nothing for about 5 minutes. Then it says there was a fatal error and to close the program. I thought maybe my disk space was low, but I've cleaned out a lot and there should be plenty of room for virtual box. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it my computer? I'm using a windows 7 home laptop.
I tried the same thing with version 6.0 of virtual box and got the same result.
Also I couldn't find the jenux.ova file on the website it links to, it's a page with a bunch of text but no download link? Could I have the correct link please? Or did it send me to the wrong page accidentally?
If I get these problems taken care of I'm sure I can do the rest no problem. I have the extension pack, so I'm ready to go if I can figure this out.
Thank you.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-01-03 23:58:40

@hacker, OK, I probably was a bit harsh. And while I get that its open source, its quite hard to contribute when you don't have a version control system. And I'd contribute if I could. But you use way too much shell magic... wonder if you could rewrite it in Python in a test environment? That would make the code a ton easier to read.

My Github

2019-01-04 01:24:32

Aah Espeak-NG. Deer Lord make it die.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2019-01-04 07:17:13

So guys, could anyone give a few hints to use VBox more easily?
Because it is not very accessible and I was wondering how y'all use it.
E.G. In VMWare you have the "Ctrl+Alt" to switch to host OS and the "Ctrl+G" to switch to guest OS and so on.

2019-01-04 07:46:28

In VBox you (by default) have right control to switch to host and left Ctrl+g to switch to guest.

My Github