2019-01-31 18:40:48

I don't know, I just know having multiple boot partitions and multiple bootloaders for different targets ain't good.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-31 18:44:52

Most likely? Yes. I've been reading the most recent posts and it is clear that this entire OS should be taken down while the script is properly tested and fixd. It shouldn't ave been released yet, obviously, and more testing should've been done. This is why you don't release software until you know or can at least say that it works over 80 percent of the time; this script seems to only have that success rate on VMs and not actual hardware. For now, if you want to install arch, use the wiki -- that has a 100-percent success rate.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-31 19:37:45

In that case, what I would like for the PI:
just the raw .img file for Arch, complete with an auto-expand script.
or:
a list of the packages that it contains (available in the script if you look but would be nice to have)
as it seems like this script is causing problems.

2019-01-31 21:35:55

An IMG will be best and if possible, all variants of the image and the audio to be usable on the jack out of the box.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-01-31 22:01:31

Well where is it gonna come from, that's my question. I don't really know anything about the pi, though I've been thinking of getting one for a while now. So you just copy the img to the root of the sd card and it will read it from there? Hmm, I wonder what it would take to convert an ISo to an img, or even if it can be done that way, straight up. Like, are there special things the pi needs to see to boot off of that other linux systems would not need to see. I wonder what bootloader the img has to have, etc.

I know that if you follow the arch wiki, specifically the installation guide, referencing the links they provide when appropriate, you can install a system that way. It works fine, and the commands that are there, you can see as much or as little detail as you need. So you can be like I don't care, just get this thing up and running, and you still have to read a bit and follow what it says, but you don't have to delve in depth about what everything is doing if you don't want to. So, my question would be, is it feasible to convert the talking Arch ISO into an IMG, and have the pi recognize it and boot it. If so, you're all set. Before you start the install, one thing that is not mentioned on the wiki because its irrelevant, the talking Arch latest ISO is from 2017, so not only is it important you get your clock synchronized with ntp and written to the system clock, you also need to refresh the keyring. You need to do that because if not, pacstrap will see PGP keys that are expired, and not allow you to install the packages. I forget the command, I think its like pacman --key --refresh or something. I know that's not right, you'd have to look it up.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-31 23:47:25

I have no problem installing an Arch manually, my main thing is:
1. Already went through the config on of accessibility on the Rasbian image, have no desire to do that all over again. Although to be fair, things have gotten substantially easier since the stuttering audio is out of the equation, and fenrir is being used rather than speakup.
However, no a talking arch iso would not boot on a pi. Pi is an arm-based machine.
Also, an img is a raw, byte-for-byte image of a disk, that you would dd to the pi's sd card and boot from there.

2019-02-01 23:08:04

So, if I do manual disk partitioning, for argument's sake, will it still install everything?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-02-02 14:10:59

Object not found! plese help to download iso
The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that pageabout the error.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
nashcentral.duckdns.org
Apache

2019-02-02 14:20:26

hi, please download the iso from https://jennios.com
under accessibility projects

2019-02-02 14:37:47

@Hacker:

I've repeatedly had squash fs errors on several USB drives and CD-R discs. Are you saying all those brand new discs, and CDs are faulty? I find that highly unlikely, and I've run into the exact same issue on each stick, squashfs errors, and even with copytoram=Y gives the same error. I've had exactly zero isues in a VM, but I wanted to install this on bare metal to get an easy to use Arch-based system.

I'd honestly, Hacker, if I were in your shoes, redo the script, and test on a lot of computers and a different range of hardware befor saying 'oh it works it must be your fault'

Explain, exactly, how a simple DD, plugging in and then not touching or powering off a drive that installs everything else on it flawlessly, is somehow my fault instead of a bad download? You're not commenting on the feedback you've got about multiple bootloaders, and several boot partitions, and other issues.

@Praj: I woudln't be amazed if it doesn't work for you, lots of people have had issues with the ISO, so don't expect it work right away.

Also on Linux natively

2019-02-02 17:09:24

@Hacker:
I think a good thing to do at this point would be to offer the base image for straight-up download, unless it's the Arch image obtainable fomr the Pi foundation's website, and have a script that skips the image flash and does the rest that can just simply be run over ssh.

2019-02-02 22:01:50

See, me and several others have tried to talk to Hacker about this over voice and have been stone walled so completely and utterly, that I don't see that it's really worth messing with. My god, we spent 15 minutes trying to convince him to add a blurb about how it's alpha software and download at your own risk to the description column of his /projects index. This would be something that is easy to implement, and would allow people who don't know what they're getting into to decide whether they want to pursue this image for installation. Until and unless that attitude changes from Hacker, I would consider this project a non-starter. I'm sorry to say that, as I do see the potential in it, and like I said to Hacker, I think it's cool and I respect you for what you're trying to do, but if you literally want to say everything is the end-user's fault, that's an issue.

I don't want to drag this out and make it more than it needs to be, if you want to toy with it, go right ahead, at least we'll get a profile of what machines it works with and which it doesn't, but I wouldn't consider this a serious project at the moment.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-02 22:17:21

@Iron:

I threw it on a brand new stick because I figured at what the hell, maybe it was the stick.....nah, it wasn't. SquashFS errors all over the place, on a brand new stick.

Let's see...

No checksums on the site for confirming if you got a useable ISO
Developer who insists everything is the user's fault
Developer who has got feedback and chooses to ignore feedback

At this point, I'd, for example, like to pay Ethin to make something Jenux-like with a proper installer, a Mate live desktop and.....oh yeah, make it work. Or Iron, or anyone with programming knowledge really.

Also on Linux natively

2019-02-02 23:11:50

Heh, I could get you set up with a working desktop over SSH. I obviously will add a disclaimer that "hey, it may not work," but at least I'll give it my all.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-02-02 23:31:25

@Ethin:

I'd do it. But. I like my working desktop thanks, I like having a desktop that's a turn key, boot system, goooooo type deal.

That being said.......you got me thinking.

Also on Linux natively

2019-02-02 23:41:50

I'd do it if I had that kind of skill. Needless to say, there's no doubt in my mind that Hacker knows Linux and shell stuff better than I do, but knowledge and common sense don't always go hand in hand. I don't get squashFS errors, except that one time the drive halfway came unplugged, but yeah, I don't really know.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-02 23:43:09

I was wondering, @Iron/@Ethin, how much work it'd take from scratch to basically put right what Jenux screwed up, or, an auto install script that'd....
1. Auto detect if a machine's in legacy or UEFI mode
2. Auto partition the drive correctly
3. Install the system
4. Set up the user stuff
5. Set up Grub

And be bulletproof and idiot proof.

Also on Linux natively

2019-02-03 00:38:07

That shouldn't be overly difficult to do. I could even test it in a VM (though real hardware is a different matter since I have none available). But it would be a fun project to do since Hacker is unwilling to collaborate nor follow sensible, common sense advice.

My Github

2019-02-03 01:10:15

That's...sorta what I was hinting at you to do on Skype. There's something to tinker with. I mean.....it shouldn't be that hard to get a working system even if it's just one desktop choice and a standard set of stuff, I mean, Ubuntu does that and everyone ends up customizing Ubuntu anyhow

Also on Linux natively

2019-02-03 03:37:35

Yeah, I could probably do that in Python, get you set up with a talking mate desktop and you can take it from there.

My Github

2019-02-03 03:37:47

Yeah that would be nice. Too much of Nash's script runs on assumptions, that if proven incorrect cause errors, but the script zooms on by, then he says why don't you have information for me about these errors, to which I would reply, how am I supposed to get said information as the text never stops scrolling, etc.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-03 06:00:54

@321, yeah. I have this unique technique (OK, its probably not very unique...) that when an executable exits with a non-0 exit code, it halts and says, "This command failed, here's the output."

My Github

2019-02-03 07:09:21

lol

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-07-05 16:21:47

Hi. I apologise for  reviving  this topic, but I have a question and I really don’t feel like looking through 13 pages to find the answer. So, I installed this into virtual box and it, surprisingly works quite well. The only question is, are we actually able to access these personal computer systems games? If so, how? I installed the Oracle virtual appliance.  I looked in the games menu and there Izant really anything related to that.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2019-07-08 07:30:28

hi, glad it worked for you. To set up the pcs games, do the following:
1. open up a terminal with control alt shift t. If you're using the gnome desktop, hit alt f1, type terminal, and hit enter to run the terminal application.
2. Install both the yasr screen reader, which will give you a better curses console experience, as well as the preconfigured dos vm by running:
sudo pacman -S freedos-accessible yasr
3. hit caps lock+s to temporarily silence orca
4. type the following command to start a talking shell with yasr:
yasr
5. If you hear a slightly slower voice with a russian accent, you are in yasr, and can continue. If you don't hear any speech after a few seconds, hit caps lock+s to turn on orca, and continue to appendix a.
6. Once you are in yasr, type the following to start up dos:
startdos
Note: The first time you run startdos, you will hear "blank" for about a minute as the default image is copied to your home directory. On some slow storage configurations, this can take several minutes, as a 1 GB file needs to be copied to your home directory.
Appendix A. yasr setup
Upon installation, a default configuration file for yasr will be copied to the skeletal user directory. To have yasr use speech-dispatcher, you need to copy this default configuration file to your user account. To do this, run the following commands, substituting user with your username:
sudo cp /etc/skel/.yasr.conf /home/user
sudo chown user:user /home/user/.yasr.conf
This should let you launch yasr with speech-dispatcher
Appendix B: dos
So I have this dos thing set up,now what do I do with it? Dos is booting when you hear something about SeBios, then a prompt about FreeDos Kernel and GemEx, followed by the good old c:\> prompt. Once you're at the c:\> prompt, you can type the following to see your files in the virtual dos drive:
dir /b
To go into a directory, assuming your directory is called dir, type
cd dir
you can then run dir /b again to list what's under that directory.
To go back one level, type
cd ..
Most of the games are in the games\pcs directory
To run shooting range, for example, type the following:
cd GAMES\PCS\SHOOT
shoot
To exit dos and go back into the real world, at the prompt, type shutdown and hit enter. If the VM is locked up or not responding and you need to show it who's the boss by forcefully pulling its plug, hit alt 2. You will be presented with the qemu monitor console. In the console, type:
quit
then hit enter. Some games use special keys like escape that get eaten up by the terminal driver. To send keys, hit alt 2 to bring up the monitor console, and type:
sendkey esc
to send escape. To copy files into, or get files out of your dos virtual drive, run the following:
udisksctl loop-setup -f ~/.dos.img
This command will give you a message like:
Mapped file /home/user/.dos.img as /dev/loop0.
To mount the file to loop at the files inside, run the following, replacing /dev/loop0 with the block device file that was just mapped:
udisksctl mount -b /dev/loop0p1
This will show something like:
Mounted /dev/loop0p1 at /run/media/user/FREEDOS2016.
you can then use a file browser, the terminal, a shotgun loaded with file carrying pidgin, a monkey covered data copyer, or anything your heart desires to get files in and in and out of the virtual drive. When done, unmount it by running, obviously replacing user with your user name and loop0 with the block device you mounted above:
umount /run/media/user/FREEDOS2016
udislsctl loop-delete -b /dev/loop0
If you took your dos drive and fed it to the mutated captain crunch loving tuna fish licking frog kissing monkey army from planet x and want to restore it to its factory settings, simply delete the .dos.img file from your home folder. Next time you run startdos, the original, package installed image will be restored, although you will have to wait the same time you originally did when running the program for the first time. I hope this helps.