2019-01-26 00:38:31

@JaceK: Have you tried leaving out the bs opperand? As in dd if=/path/to/iso of=/path/to/device

2019-01-26 00:45:09

Yes, and it acts the exact same, failing to load ldlinux.c32

My system is 64 bit, FWIW, with legacy booot/BIOS mode, no UEFI

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-01-26 00:56:53

I held space for one, two, and five seconds on that screen, and the text never changed.

2019-01-26 01:08:59

Well, I am now using my preferred setup. Giving the job to my dell inspiren1545 which finally connected to wifi, so no more using usb tether. This is much better.

2019-01-26 01:27:33

As this dell is set aside to do its thing, and given Fenrir's auto-interrupt when new text is displayed, I have heard two occurrences of a timer-style high-pitched beep. Is this normal, and does this mean a set of packages is done downloading, or something to that effect?

2019-01-26 01:33:58

Hi, the timer high-pitch beep is fenrir's optional autotime function, which announces the time every 15 minutes. This is configurable in fenrir's settings.conf near the end of the file.

2019-01-26 01:40:29

Ok. Well, the thing is looping 0 467m...1 467m...2 467m...3 467m...4 467m...5 467m...6 467m...7 467m...and then it goes back to 0 and does this all over again. I assume this could be due to the fact it's not downloading one huge image anymore?

2019-01-26 01:55:14

To make it be quiet, hit windows or caps lock+enter to disable autoread. You appear to be using the pi installation script, which, according to the second value, 467M, is downloading the base arch linux arm image. After the first number, which indicates percentage, reaches 100, the base image will be extracted and the payload for your selected preset will be downloaded and executed.

2019-01-26 02:14:33

Ahh, good. Just restarted the download and we're doing a lot better now, it isn't relooping after 7%. Must've been a fluke. At any rate, is the jennios repo it gets packages from initially always available for installations after the fact? For example, download the full Arch image, install the accessible Kodi after VNC is set up, assuming VNC counts as a video display for Kodi.

2019-01-26 03:16:25 (edited by jack 2019-01-26 03:16:53)

Still flashing the pi3 Arch64bit image, now it seems to be in a fix again. It seems to restart  syncing packages databases again and again, with about 6 packages (core is up to date, Jenux is up to date, Alarm is up to date, Blackheart is up to date.) then all these package warnings/skipping warnings. Every time I interrupt with windows+i or any of the line review commands, it restarts back at syncing package databases. Is this normal?

2019-01-26 06:05:40

Seems to have only downloaded about 4gb, when the Arch rootfs was clearly 14gb. I inserted the usb sound card into the pi, plus the wireless dongle for my k63, and I'm not hearing any speech. When I have the speaker plugged partially into the jack, amidst the buzzing I hear a voice that keeps shouting out stuff I can't make out, and the keyboard isn't doing anything.

2019-01-26 19:22:05

@Hacker:

Tried with formatting on a Windows box with Rufus. Same result, failed to load ldlinux.c32. Tried formatting as FAT32 despite other people saying oh, you gotta format it as FAT16, same result. It all comes back to, least for me, ldlinux.c32 failing to load.

I've tried 4 or 5 different USB sticks and now have tried Arch, Talking Arch, Antergos, Manjaro, Jenux, even Sonarr and all consistently fail to load.. ALl with the same ldlinux.c32 error.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-27 15:17:52

guys, i know this might sound stupid, but i want to know how can i update all my packages at once? i am actually new to linux... aany help would be appreciated.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-01-27 15:50:29

never mind, the virtual machine was just not connected to the internet. sorry for the double posting.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-01-27 18:27:09 (edited by hacker 2019-01-27 19:47:20)

Hi, if anyone is having trouble booting on physical hardware, do the following:
1: Download the jenux iso
2: connect a linux machine and your target machine with an RJ45 (ethernet) cable.
3: download the following script
https://nashcentral.duckdns.org/projects/jenuxnetboot
4: make the script executable
5: As root, run /path/to/jenuxnetboot /path/to/iso <NIC>
6: Tell your target to boot through the network. After a few seconds, you should hear the imperial march, indicating that grub has loaded. Note: This will be the same on both bios and uefi targets. As always, hit enter to boot with accessibility or down enter to boot without. You should also get output in your console indicating dhcp and tftp activity from dnsmasq.
7: When you see a line like the following:
1548605157 192.168.120.141 "GET /arch/x86_64/airootfs.sfs" 200 735482095 "" "curl/7.63.0"
it is safe to unplug the ethernet cable, as the jenux rootfs has been downloaded to the target's ram.

2019-01-27 19:54:34

As always, well done Nash. Keep them dirty-ass hacks comin'. big_smile

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2019-01-28 15:52:15 (edited by JaceK 2019-01-28 15:53:43)

So....got it to actually boot now. Problem is...

It gives me squashfs errors at iso login. Sooooo....do I need to grab another copy of the ISO or what?

The error in question is about fragments and unable to read page. So, any ideas?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-28 18:11:19

the drive unplugged maybe?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-28 21:13:11

No Iron, the drive wasn't touched. It booted up fine, and I picked my HD I wanted to install. Curiously it said it tried to partition the USB drive (despite specifically selecting the HD)

It went through the install, then asked if I wanted to remove packages, and locked up. THen gave me a metric buttload of SquashFS errors about cache and unable to read page, and writethrough errors. Curiously, when I went to instaall a working OS it detected the installed system, but since the Jenux script died before Grub and a user could be set up......

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-29 20:00:18

Hi, since the command to reread the partition table is run directly after the partitioning step, the partitions on the flash drive are not touched. To verify, run parted, fdisk/gdisk, or whatever partitioning tool you are most comfortable with. If the drive was touched, the partition layout, excluding size differences, would be the same on both the installed system and the flash drive. As for the squashfs error, this most likely indicates that the drive was either jostled during the installation, or powered off in some way, which will cause reading of sfs blocks to fail. To fix this problem, do one of the following:
1: if using isolinux in csm mode, after the beep, hit tab, end, type a space, and type copytoram=y, hit enter. Once you hear speech, it should be safe to unplug the drive.
2: Use the netboot script mentioned above to boot the target over the network, which does not require a flash drive, downloading the kernel, initramfs, and rootfs into the target's ram and running from there.
Since the package download and installation is complete, you have a working system. To fix the unconfigured system problem, either manually follow the arch install guide after the install the base system section, or for automatic configuration, use the post-install tarball for your specific selected software preset, replacing /dev/sda with your hard drive, sda3 with whatever you made your root partition, and sda2 with whatever you made your boot partition. Here's how to do it:
1: If using encryption, unlock your LUKS by typing:
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda3 root
If not using encryption, replace step two's mount command with your root partition, i.e. instead of /dev/mapper/root, put /dev/sda3
2: mount your root partition:
mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt
3: mount your boot partition:
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot
4: cd to /mnt, download and extract the post-installation tarball, replacing preset with your preset name, such as base, gnome, mate, kodi, or all, and run the script:
cd /mnt
curl https://nashcentral.duckdns.org/autobui … tar.gz|tar -xz
arch-chroot /mnt /etc/postinstall.sh /dev/sda
Hope this helps.

2019-01-29 20:13:44

Is there a fix for my pi problem? To be clear, here's all what happened.
It seems to restart  syncing packages databases again and again, with about 6 packages (core is up to date, Jenux is up to date, Alarm is up to date, Blackheart is up to date.) then all these package warnings/skipping warnings. Every time I interrupt with windows+i or any of the line review commands, it restarts back at syncing package databases. I waited a bit, then hit enter when it asked if I wanted to add another network, I said no, then it exited the script. All over now I suppose? Not really. It seems to have only downloaded about 4gb, when the Arch rootfs was clearly 14gb. I inserted the usb sound card into the pi, plus the wireless dongle for my k63, and I'm not hearing any speech. When I have the speaker plugged partially into the jack, amidst the buzzing I hear a voice that keeps shouting out stuff I can't make out, and the keyboard isn't doing anything.

2019-01-29 20:17:55

Okay....

No, the drive was not jostled or powered off in any way. It installed the packages, and stated main OS installed. After that point, it asked if I wanted to remove packages...and locked up when I went to hit N, after picking LTS/Mate preset.

Note: I did not, at all, touch the drive at all. Three people can and did verify this. I ended up with a system that installed okay, did all the packages...then broke after installation. I even left it for an hour and nothing changed. Just a screen full of squashfs errors that even hitting any key wouldn't clear.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-29 20:27:12

I'm wondering if it was a corrupt ISO. So.....could ya, Hacker, put checksums up there and see if we can verify a download is actually not corrupted?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-31 18:02:58

So, umm, I found at least one reason Jenux isn't working on some people's systems, at least mine anyway. In fact, if anyone is running it on bare metal and it worked right out of the box, I'd be interested to hear about it since what I found is, well...

OK, so if you let it partition your drive for you, it creates two boot partitions, one of which is an EF00, and the other an EF02. They are EFI and BIOS boot partitions. Not only that, but upon installation of Grub, the script installs three versions it looks like. How its doing that, I have no idea, but its installing i386_pc i386_EFi or something and another oen which is X86-64. So now you have two partitions and three bootloaders. I didn't really look in depth to see what was going on, in fact, this is edging outside my knowledge base a bit, but I'm just reporting what I saw. The EFI spec basically says that finding bootable devices and so forth is basically up to the vendor. I therefore, posit that in some cases, and I would estimate the likelihood to be quite high, that the EFI is just failing to find a possible boot situation amidst the mess.

There are ways to detect which mode you're booted into and have the script install the appropriate bootloader and create the correct partition type.

So, getting the software to work in a VM is less headachy because if all else fails, you can just modify your VMX file and get it up and running, but I actually would like to run this on a physical machine. That's why I'd be curious if anyone's actually gotten it working, because I'd be amazed. The only way I could see that it would be possible is to boot into legacy mode and the BIOSboot partition appears first, then maybe it has a chance lol, other than that... meh.

The installation script also doesn't attempt at all to catch errors. I saw several failures, and the script moved right along as though nothing had happened. First thing, after the prompt about encrypting, and I answered no (I have a story about how encryption failed me badly) It went on later to start encrypting home directory, which by the way, I did not want to do. Anyway, that failed because of CHOWNing some file, but the installer just went on about its merry way. I also recall something else, but it escapes me now. Let it suffice to say that installing Arch is an intricate process. I wouldn't entirely say It's difficult, as all that you need is on the wiki, and you can cross-reference to find what you need among the articles. Sure, for the Linux newbie it would be, but isn't that why Jenux exists, or is the mission statement to be something else. At any rate, it is intricate. A lot of things  need to happen, and they need to be done at the right time and in the right way. So an installation script can't just ignore errors. I also find it a bit disconcerting that it does so, in hopes that no one would notice? It's not as if I keep the speech on, but if something crops up, I want to know about it. And if it's too much to provide backup routines to try to actually fix the error, the script should be suspended and allow the user to drop to a shell, then correct the problem. If that happens, and whatever issue cropped up is now fixed, the user could then resume the script and all would go along as it should.

I'm also a bit concerned that none of this is mentioned that I've seen. In other words, to let someone know this isn't production ready (it clearly isn't) and that it's alpha software.

I want to put it out there that I respect what the author is doing here, and that I"m not writing this to bash the product, but to try and make it better. If all the kinks could be ironed out, this could definitely be cool, but right now, it's really not ready for daily production use, there are just too many loose ends.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-31 18:14:56

So is that why I had all those supposed errors with the Raspberry Pi image?