2019-01-18 07:39:45

I've successfully dd'd the iso. Though, it was from Arch, not Ubuntu, I don't see how that would make a difference though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-18 11:46:39

Hi all, i tried downloading the file after installing the virtual box, and the extensions pack, but i can't download the file for some or other reason... i don't know why. but it says problem loading page. i tried the download link with chrome, microsoft edge and internet exploarer. still no luck. does any one else have another download link for me or does any one know how to resolve the problem?
i also restarted the rooter...

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-01-18 18:25:01

The site seems to be down.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-19 00:38:04

Hi, it's up now. I have also implemented a script that will constantly check if it's accessible from the outside. If it's not, it will safely sync the storage and forcibly reboot the system, resulting in 2 to 3 minutes of downtime rather than hours.

2019-01-19 18:58:06

Good news, and bad news!

The good news, VirtualBox 6.0.2 is now available, and makes the Jenux VM run even better!

The bad news, the Jenux VM currently, is not fully compatible.
For example, I can't change the CPU and RAM setting at this time.

Just wanted to pass along said info.

2019-01-21 20:07:04

Hi, Are you sure that when you hit host+q to shut down the vm, you didn't select save the machine state? Vbox will not let you make changes to CPU, memory, audio, and certain storage settings while a saved state exists. To kill off any saved states that might be laying around, either shut down from within the jenux system itself, or if it won't respond after restoring the state, context menu it in the tree and select discard saved state. Hth

2019-01-21 21:05:47

How would you use virtual box, the interface is pretty horrid if I recall correctly. I know they have command line params you can pass in to configure it I think.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-22 08:10:40 (edited by queenslight 2019-01-22 08:19:26)

For @ironcross32
, you can find all VBox command-line switches, by checking out "Chapter 8," in the "official"  VirtualBox User Manual

For those who are having issues with audio in the machine, simply find the "audio" branch of Jenux's settings (CTRL-S,) then look for the combo boxes dealing with sound cards and choose the driver and sound card that works best for you.
Ya may need to use either NVDA's "Object Nav" commands or Narrator's "Scan Mode" to get around that screen.
NB. The above goes the same for VB's "Preferences" dialog (CTRL-G,) where you can view all "keyboard" commands for the Graphical User Interface" of VirtualBox itself and/or for while inside the virtual machine for that matter.

2019-01-23 19:43:20

Okay. So.

I've tried this on two USB sticks. I copy the iso with DD, and still get a failed to boot error with ldlinux.c32

So. From inserting the stick on my Ubuntu system. What do I need to do to get this (and other Arch systems) to load.

Do I, for example, need to format the sticks to FAT or FAT32? Do I need to redownload the image and sudo dd bs=4m it? I used that. But no matter what I do....it consistently fails to boot. Ideas?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-01-23 19:46:34

Hi, Can you set the machine that you are booting the stick on to boot in uefi mode? If not, try running dd with bs=1M

2019-01-23 20:05:42

I already tried everything from the default BS of 512 to 4M, from 512 to 1M, 2M, and 4M....

It consistently fails to boot...howeverr, here's the really interesting part. It affects all Arch images. I grabbed an official Arch standard ISO and tried that. Same exact thing.

Now, the one thing I've not tried is reformatting the stick to FAT or FAT32 then doing a disk dump of the image.

Basicaly, as soon as I try to boot off the stick, it fails to boot immediately and can't load ldlinux.c32. Across....let's se, six Arch test images. Genux, Antergos, Manjaro, Talking Arch, Arch and Arch Labs.

Now I doubt all those images are corupted somehow....so is there something I'm missing?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-23 22:06:36 (edited by hacker 2019-01-23 22:09:12)

Hi, has the drive been used for any other distro or any other purpose other than general data storage? If so, try wiping the mbr or gpt structures. If that still fails to boot, format the drive as fat32, copy all the files out of the iso, and boot the drive specifically in uefi mode. To confirm uefi boot mode in the jenux iso, after the bootloader loads, you will hear a beep sequence that sounds like the star wars imperial march. After the beep sequence, hit enter to boot with accessibility or down and enter to boot without accessibility. Hth

2019-01-23 22:51:44

Here's the problem. My desktop that I'm trying to boot it on was made before UEFI was a thing.

So.....can I actualy boot Jenux or....?

Also,you said format as FAT32, I thought syslinux couldn't suport fat32. I tried mkfs with fat32, and redoing the ISO and it tstill fails to boot.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-25 20:53:10

Hi, if you have a windows box laying around, try using rufus to burn the iso. Also, keep in mind that Jenux only supports booting on 64-bit hardware.

2019-01-25 21:28:19

Can a usb flash drive with the Jenux iso boot on a macbook pro2015? If so, I will just need to use Aira to find the blasted usb flash drive boot option in the boot menu.

2019-01-25 21:51:02

It can, although I am not sure about the wireless card. The USB drive will always be left arrow enter in the boot menu on most mac hardware.

2019-01-25 22:49:21

I could end up needing to use the usb tether to my phone. Fortunately, being an Android user, portable hotspot is not confined to mobile data.

2019-01-25 23:03:46

And we have an error. I choose the usb flash drive option from the boot menu, and Grub comes up with:
Error variable prefix not set.

2019-01-25 23:32:08

That is normal. After variable prefix not set, you should see two "device not connected" errors, which indicates that grub cannot find any raid devices. If your machine supports PC speaker emulation, a few seconds after those errors, you should hear the star wars imperial march through said emulation, which indicates that the root device has been detected. If your machine does not have that support, wait around 10 to 20 seconds. After waiting, you will be in the grub menu. Hit enter to boot with accessibility, or down arrow and enter to boot without accessibility. The boot process should take anywhere between 30 seconds to 3 minutes. Hope this helps.

2019-01-25 23:36:39 (edited by jack 2019-01-25 23:49:57)

So the error messages are supposed to simply disappear after a few seconds?
Also, using Rufus, here's what we did.
gpt
efi (non-csm) only option there at the time.
using the latest x86/64 iso the one dated 01/10/2019.
Rufus burnt the iso in iso mode (not dd mode) and then the windows ding sound assured its supposed success.
Hold down option to bring up the boot menu, and hit left arrow and enter. And that error message happens.
Does the grub startup menu ever disappear (boot to a preferred mode like grub would when choosing an operating system to boot) or does it wait for your input?
This is a macbook pro2015 we're dealing with.

2019-01-25 23:49:52

I've found that oding it in dd mode produces far more favorable results in ISO's actually wanting to boot. As to the rest of it, my laptop doesn't support the speaker thing, so no beeps. It will boot into a mode that you don't want though, so you sort of have to wait and hit enter at the right time.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-26 00:07:55

The default, at least on the jenux iso is to boot with accessibility enabled. What do you mean it boots into a mode that you don't want? As to post 270, I think the timeout is five seconds.

2019-01-26 00:30:20

Well, it's staying right on the variable prefix not set screen, whichever keys I press. Enter, escape, space it doesn't matter.

2019-01-26 00:34:40

@Hacker:

The first stick I tried was in FAT32 bit. I simply used a dd bs=4M if=jenux.sio of=/dev/sdb and it wrote fine. It failed to boot. Second USB stick died and it isn't recognized by anything. Yes one stick was used on a Windows box.

I tried Rufus with the same result, failed to load ldlinux.c32.

Here's the realy interesting bit. I put Arch itself on.....same deal.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-26 00:34:42

Hi, on the variable prefix not set screen, hold space for around 1 to 2 second. Since I cannot programatically detect if the machine has PC speaker emulation, it simply plays the tune regardless. If it cannot detect the root, it will drop to either a grub> or grub-rescue> prompt.  If you hold enter for long enough, it will force booting with accessibility, which may be what you want.