2019-01-13 00:07:51

Yup, it is a good idea.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-01-13 00:28:04

About the recovery. Any technical possibility you could wedge console speech into an arm-based recovery (twrP for instance), or is this only an x86 exclusive? I know the national braille press team got it to work by embedding brltty into the b2g's recovery environment, and the braillenote touch probably does it by bitbanging the braille display. Sure would be nice to have a talking recovery built right into the phone, although of course if that's not possible we still have commandline twrp.

2019-01-13 01:51:27

Hi, The recovery environment is simply an arch system with a shell script menu interface to perform tasks specific to android x86. For accessible twrp, I simply use the command line rather than the gui to wipe, install, backup and restore, and manage files. The recovery shell script can reinstall the original iso that was downloaded, wipe data, and attempt to backup or restore x86 file system contents. It does not have any zip installation, but it does provide a way to access a root shell, so if you want to install zips, extract them and have a look at what the updater script in the zip does, and just plop the files in place manually. Also, after testing the kodi and jenux image creation processes and uploading a beta version of the alexa payload, I just dropped the new raspberry pi flashing method. If anyone wants to give this thing a shot and see if it doesn't blow up the world, I look forward to your feedback.

2019-01-13 13:45:57

@Hacker:

Your site appears to be down again. Now's a good time to suggest mirroring the script and ISO and modifying the ISO to look in more than one place for the script, right?

wget https://nashcentral.duckdns.org/project … x86_64.iso gives me an error 443

Going there with Firefox gives a could not connect error.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2019-01-13 15:28:40

Will give the Arch image another go.

2019-01-13 15:30:55

Someone was talking about a Jenux repository, is that just during installation to grab packages? If so, is there any ability to make this kodi setup simply a package that can be installed after the fact after the full Arch is installed? That would at least give the opportunity to setup a vnc connection before dealing with Kodi, since I have a feeling vnc will count as a video display if it's looking for that.

2019-01-13 16:22:57

That was me, Jack.

Also, I'm saying yes, for Base/Mate/GNome/etc presets....switch 'em all to Fenrir. I see no downsides, cause Fenrir is awesomely good.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-13 18:06:12

The arch script screwed up and then my machine would boot straight into BIOS. This machine is a bit, meh, so I thought it was that. When I did the arch install manually from the talking arch ISO, it worked. I've since been trying to troubleshoot issues with Fenrir which I've gotten through the AUR. It's quite unresponsive, however, when you load up the latest Jenux ISo, the one that includes Fenrir, its very snappy. Talking to Hacker on tt, he suggested I copy the config files for fenrir and for speech-dispatcher which I've done. So after changing the relevant entries in both to point to espeakup, because I don't have or really want RH voice, I got it working and its still laggy. Now, here's the point where I'm wondering WTF. I cloned Fenrir from git just to get its dependency checker, which it failed at fenrir core, I'm not sure what that means, but all the stuff before that was OK. However, if I try to connect to speech dispatcher with spd-say <message> I get an error about user 1000 can't connect to unix socket, no such file or directory. I'm wondering if it was just always like that, or if the config I pulled from the ISO is causing that, so I'll have to trawl through it in greater detail. It's also worth noting that if I edit /etc/settings/fenrirscreenreader/settings/settings.conf and comment out the current driver, and uncomment out speechd, it will come up without speech next restart.

I've created a little shell script to kill off Speakup. It unloads espeakup, speakup's daemon, then the two kernel modules, speakup_soft and finally speakup itself. So any and all conflicts that might have arisen with speakup running should not play a role in this issue. In fact, I've actually had them both running at the same time, that was interesting.

If I could figure out why speech-dispatcher isn't working or what drivers I'm missing, if any, and get this thing running like it does on the Jenux ISO, I'd be a happy camper, and disable speakup from starting, and enable Fenrir as my primary screen reader.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-13 18:21:46

Hi, the site is not down. The reason you are getting 404 or can't connect errors is because of the forum's url expansion. If you remove the /url part after the link, it'll work fine. Is there a way to turn the automatic url adding stuff off? Thanks.

2019-01-13 18:26:54

So, fusion virtual machine doesn't seem to be running the latest iso that I downloaded the other day. Legacy bios boot produces the beep as it should, but from then on after hitting enter, nothing speaks.
As for trying it on the dell, it acts like it's trying to download the shell script for the pi, then just crashes and brings us back to the main menu.

2019-01-13 18:27:39

@Hacker:

As a test I tried going via geneos and hit the Jenux installer link. That also gave a cannot find server error. Does that therefore prove it's not the forums fault entirely....or is it something to do with my connection?

I've evn retrieved a working link I know from my email.....and done wget,a and it's a 443 error on my end.

Ideas?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-13 20:34:23 (edited by JaceK 2019-01-13 20:36:38)

To elaborate....

1. Go to https://jennios.com/projects.html

2. Scroll down to the Jenux instaler and click it

2.5 This is the same link as ins post #222

3. That results in this link. https://nashcentral.duckdns.org:8100/pr … x86_64.iso

4. That results, at least here, in a 'cannot find server' error. If I use wget on it, error 443.

Now, having done it this way and ruled out the forum as the cause of it.....ideas? I've tried this on two different connections, on different browsers and.....nope. No luck. Even tried on two different OSes, and....nope.

EDIT: It hangs at connecting on wget, and flat out refuses to connect via FF. Also, if you click the link, or right click and hit copy link location, most browsers will copy the full link, not the truncated forum version.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-13 20:38:01

.....I stand corrected.

It works again now from the link in my prior post?
Okay, that was weird, as when I was writing the post I was trying and it flat out refused to work?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-14 20:35:34

Speaking of links, not all of the links featured on Nash's site, appear on the Jenn OS one, such as he Jenux OVA file.

Just wanted to let yall know.

2019-01-14 22:47:24

what are the ova files? I'm not sure what they are and what they're used for.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-14 23:20:44

The ".ova" files, standfor "Open Virtual Appliance."

At this time, the server is slow with downloading stuf. I'd wait a bit.

2019-01-16 15:17:44

So, before I install this on bare metal.....

Hacker, any tests done on bare metal? Iron said it screwed up his machine.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-16 17:00:16

Well, to be fair, It didn't actually cause any physical damage or anything, it just wouldn't boot. It booted straight into the EFI menu, which is what this particular machine does if it doesn't see an operating system. I don't yet know why, but the way the script does things is by having one BIOS boot and one EFI boot partition. I don't know whether that's actually allowed to happen or not. When I did the installation manually, everything went fine. I did use a different image though, since even when you pacstrap on the Jenux one, it still tries to pull from the JenniOS repos. If nothing else, give it a shot to check out Fenrir even if you don't install it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-16 22:42:23

Well, I tried....and got failed to boot. Something about a .c32 error. So....ideas?

Same thing on an Arch and Ubuntu ISO as well

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-17 04:06:03

Hi,
I am currently running jennux on this machine and it is working nicely, except the wifi, which every distro I've tried seems to have issues with, thanks to it beeing a broadcom. When I tried booting the ISO in UEFI mode, I got "grub error. prefix not set". However if you disable secureboot and boot in legacy mode it works fine.
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2019-01-17 04:26:12

Hi, If you boot the iso in uefi mode, you will get several errors about variable prefix not set, followed by 1 to two device not connected errors as grub searches for any possible raid devices. I haven't been able to test it on a secure boot enabled platform as of yet, but after those two errors, you should hear the star wars imperial march tune which indicates that the root device has been found. After the tune, you should be able to hit enter to boot with accessibility or down arrow and enter to boot without. Since adding grub for uefi boot was quite a painful process for me to get working, I'd be interested to see how, indeed if, the iso handles secure boot enabled systems. If anyone would like to get in contact with me over the weekend, I'd be willing to see if I might be able to build braudcom support into a version of the iso, especially since a fair few of today's machines are shipping the pesky things on board. After I sent this version of the iso trundling out of my HQ, I had updated the iso building scripts on my server to use grub as uefi boot loader, so if anyone wants to add that to their own isos, feel free to download the isobuild.tar.gz file, modify the airootfs directory to your heart's content, and go to town.

2019-01-17 04:27:28

Hi, the c32 stuff happens because of isolinux. To fix, try dd'ing the iso or booting in uefi mode. Hth

2019-01-17 04:39:19

Bare metal tests, although with an older version of the iso, have been successful on the following machines:
GPD Win 2, Core M3, 8GB RAM, 128GB M2 SSD, linux and android 8
HP ProBook 4540s, Core I5, 8GB ram, 750GB Spin Drive, Connector type unknown, Linux
IBM ThinkCentre M51, P4 3.00 GHZ, 3GB Ram, 500GB SATA, Unknown Version, Linux
Toshiba NB305, Intel Atom N550 1.5 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 120GB SSD, SATA 3.0, Linux

2019-01-17 12:19:52

hey,
I sem to constantly have issues with this.
I was installing using the mate software preset, and kept getting the error unexpected end of file
Unrecoverable error. Exiting now.
It would then attempt to download again, to the same result. I'm not sure exactly what it's trying to download.

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2019-01-17 12:45:39

@Hacker

Here's what I did...

Grabbed a fresh copy of the ISO

Went into Ubuntu

Opened up a terminal with my stick plugged in
sudo dd if=Jenux ISO of=/dev/sdb (where Jenux ISO is the path to the Jenux ISO), and it finished successfully.

Rebooted machine

Boot menu, picked my USB drive

Failed to boot

Also on Linux natively