2019-01-04 08:19:44

Thanks Ethin.
Another question: Is it any better than vmware other than being free? what about the performance?

2019-01-04 10:05:54

YMMMV on this but for me running a Vbox system on Linux....it performs great

@Xeno: What exactly is so bad about espeak-NG? No, seriously, its not a snarky question, I honestly want to know since to me, espeak/espeak-NG sound the same, but (reportedly) Arch requires espeak-NG to build againsst the new speech-dispatcher 0.88.3 which is an Arch speciic rebuild of speech-dispatcher. I'm sticking with hrvoice on Jenux thanks, it's good.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-01-04 13:25:28

hello,
So, a few questions:
1. How do I navigate out of the virtual machine in virtual box, so i can alt tab in windows etc.
2. What's up with the sound, it's all quiet and choppy and unusable. How do I fix this?
Thanks

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2019-01-04 14:00:52

@Potter:

1.  Right control in virtualbox releasesthe keyboard/mouse/etc so you can alt tab in Windows. One you alt tab back to the VM, right control again.

2.  Do you  mean the screenreader or the sound itself? I have it running in a VM from an ISO install,and the sound isn't that bad once you find a sound setting you like. I'd say that sound being choppy may be down to how much resources you give a VM. And how muh stuff is running on  a host system as well, too.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-04 14:04:25

Also my questions.

1. General arch question, but.....best way to install AUR package (orca-master) on my system?

2. Can I with minimal effort, set the system to only remind me of available updates once a week instead of every time it scans?

3. I adore the synths included, but the list of espeak voices  lags  like crazy. Any way to leap to a specific voice or no?

4. Okay, so I got the WINE stuf up and going.Now, can I alter the SAPI voice in WINE any?

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-04 15:15:04

Hacker, after the LTS update, it throws errors when it starts to install.

/pkg, unexpected token errors, and newine and stuff. Just a heads up.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-04 15:43:31

About the Raspberry Pi arch image, is there a reason why it's speaking something I almost can't hear, ignoring key-presses, and while it apparently put my wifi in already (never mind the fact that my virtual machine was doing the work and I said I wasn't connected to wifi during install since it uses the virtual network adapter) and yet it won't appear on my router's list of connected devices.
At the same time, have the images been regenerated and no longer using rootfs?

2019-01-04 19:29:48

Okay, something odd's going on here since you added in the LTS option. Now it seems to take longer to get the keys all set up and at least heere, the menu for software presets is behaving weirdly, okay it defaults to Gnome, fine, so I hit that,

/pkg: Line 1. Unexpected token error. Which carries on over and over and over and over again. For some reason, if I try to sroll the menu it just  snaps right back Gnome as a choice.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-04 19:42:35 (edited by black and white 2019-01-04 19:43:02)

Okay, after installing VBox, each and every linux distros I've tried including Arch and Ubuntu mate they all have choppy sound.
I ran a Windows 7 on it, it is okay.
Maybe because I installed guest additions on win7 and can't figure out how to install that on Arch linux.
Or maybe it isn't needed.

2019-01-04 19:55:48

IIR the Arch wiki has you covered for guest additions and installing....however what're the specs of the VM? My Jenux one has 3 gigs of RAM, and a 40 gig HD and the sound isn't at all choppy with nothing else installed bar the system.

I'm not sure if Guest Additions would fix hoppy sound but it's worth a shot

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-04 19:58:28

@Jace:
All the sound is choppy. I've tried this with many linux vm's under virtual box. What version of virtual box are you using?
as for resources, The virtual machine has 4gb of ram and 4 processor cores, out of 16 gb and 12 processor cores.

Dark.

2019-01-04 20:26:39

I even put the VBox on Intel HD sound card emulation but still the same.
Maybe I'm so stupid that can't understand arch wiki or maybe they are stupid that don't give you step-by-step instructions instead they refer you to a tun of other wiki articles. big_smile rofl
For example the installation guide doesn't give you instructions to install the grub bootloader and put a link at the end of instructions for other bootloaders. You must read a tun of things to figure out stuff.
I love Arch, And really love to learn it but every time I just google my problems rather than reading the wiki.
And in this instance I don't think the guest additions would help because I tried that on ubuntu. (It was actually easy there)

2019-01-04 20:29:51

@Potter:

That should be more than enough for a lower spec desktop like Mate. Actually what desktops and such were you trying, since I run Mate based stuff and the sound is rarely choppy for me. Though I do have choppy sound when the VM's under heavy load, or a heavir desktop.

Also, for this one.....yeah aparently, the script's a little borked. /Pkg: Line 1. Syntax error,unexpected  token.

That's the gist of what it gives  me right now as of writing this if I try installing.

Also, the LTS change apparently wiped out the software menu, I fired it up to test, and....yeah it sorta got nuked and jumps right to the LTS/standrd menu without giving me the install options. Okay, odd.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-04 20:43:09

Greetings all!

For those who wish to get Emacs and Emacspeak up and running easier, you can grab the Emacspeak Voxin Installer , from the link above.

Although I made a thread about Voxin which you can find over here , I'm creatting a special thread for us users of EMacspeak later on today, thus do watch out for it!

2019-01-04 20:51:44

One more update....

Seems the aformentioned issues *only* happen if I pick to install the Gnome preset. Mate installs fine, which is just weird.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-04 22:46:09

yeah, it's just the vm sound that's choppy for no reason I can see. I'll reinstall virtual box and the extention pack, and see if I can duplicate it and record it.

Dark.

2019-01-05 19:33:51

So, folks.

What're the details I need to add the Jenux repo to my Antergos system I got up and going on bare metal? I'm assuming, and not tested, the freedos-accessible isn't in the main repos, right? If it is I stand corected however.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-05 22:08:02

@192, don't add the jenux repo, he's got software he *shouldn't* (speechd-up). If you've got a fully working system, there's no need to mingle two (most likely incompatible) repos.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-05 22:15:52

All I realy want out of it and I'm not even sure if it's in the jenux or the main, is the fredos-accessible stuff and that's it from there really. I'll try again in a VM and check if I can do what I want to in said VM.

I mean, the stuf I use like pidgin, puprle-skypeweb and such is in the main repo. I can prety much install that on any install.

And just because I add a repo does *not* mean I'm installing any packages from it, because correct me if I'm wrong, just because I add the Jenux repo then do a sudo pacman -Syyu, doesn't mean it magically installs the things in there to the system, correct? Yes, speechdup may be deprecated but for the time being, it still works and it is certainly better than nothing.

Now. Related question. Jenux has hrvoice. I want hrvoice on my Antergos install with its voices. That's my project for the next few hours. I'll assume that to get the hrvoice-git I'll again need the Jenux repo, because I'm unsure exactly which repo it's in.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-05 22:21:11

Okay, so I can scratch rhvoice-git. THat's in the AUR. Still leads me to believe the fredos-accessible is in the Jenux repo or I'm missing something. Which again leads back to my previous point. I'd like to add the repo for one (ONE) package plus dependancies.

Ethin, how about you stop trying to micro manage this project and let Hacker do his thing. You go make your own accessible Arch with a proven installer and back up all your 'oh Hacker ought to do X Y Z', claims because......Jenux installs a working system. Is some software deprecated? Yes. Does it do its job? Yes. Could it be better? Absolutely, but Hacker is stil learning. Give him credit.

TL:DR Put up or shut up, in other words. Either help him out by pointing out alternatives, i.e. yes, speechdup is depractted but you could use this this tha nd this and here's resources, now learn about this, or go make your own ISO and release it to the world.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-05 22:22:55

Also, @Ethin: The AUR has speechdup and many other distros. Are you going to go of and rail at them for saying oh Ubuntu *shouldn't* have speechdup, for an example, or oh Talking Arch should ditch such and such and such and such? Because. Again. Put up or shut up. You've not offered to helpp or contribute code. ALl you've done is bitch and whine without offering any alternatives to softare you claim (without proof) is deprecated.

Also on Linux natively

2019-01-05 23:21:24

@ethan:
contribute. The linux kernel is open source for that exact reason.
Do something useful rather than complain that someone else is doing a better job than you are.

Dark.

2019-01-05 23:23:01 (edited by Ethin 2019-01-05 23:28:20)

@196, speechd-up is deprecated in the sense that's unmaintained:
https://freebsoft.org/speechd-up
And yeah, I haven't contributed any code, for reasons I've stated. My "bitching and wining" as you call it are very valid points. @197, contribute to the Linux kernel? You've got it backwards; this isn't the Linux kernel. This is a supposed installer script that uses way too much shell magic, and while it works, not all of it does (i.e. android). Asking me to contribute to the Linux kernel is like asking me to contribute to GCC or glibc; I have absolutely no idea how either works, even though there are reference manuals and technical documentation, and for (especially) the kernel, I'd rather not compile a kernel and then break the boot sequence since I contributed and broke something since I didn't know what I was doing. Why don't you go try to find out the Linux kernel sourcecode or GCC's and then tell me I should contribute. Contributing to any big codebase is *no easy* task. Its like contributing to a major field like medicine. Its hard as all fuck to create something original; your more likely to create something that already exists.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-01-05 23:28:28

hie
does any one no why this is happening? when I lontch the vm, it is studdering allot: can someone help me with this ishew?

my discord: gamer20#7735
my keybase, note you will need the keybase mac, linux, or windows client to access it: k:\public\theblindgamer50
if you also wish to contact me on telegram, you can do so by going to this link: http://t.me/theblindgamer50
have a nice day!

2019-01-06 03:12:10

Hi, To everyone who was having key issues: This was an issue with the installation scripts for both jenux and android, both of which have been fixed. If you run an install now, it should work out of the box. Due to the nature of the fix, it will appear to hang at the initializing package manager step for a few minutes. Don't worry, it will continue after 3 to 5 minutes.