2018-12-29 18:42:06

@angel, I have a feeling the kodi and the ARch images are near exactly the same, except one has Kodi along with it and one doesn't. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

2018-12-29 19:14:16

Do not really know, I know the everything build has the media thing too, but I know it is one specialy designed for media use.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-12-29 19:16:07 (edited by jack 2018-12-29 19:16:33)

The Arch build has Kodi as well? What about everything that comes with the Kodi rom like the emulators.

2018-12-29 19:29:30

You know, I'm actually going to try this iso again. Something says I should give it another shot now that the server's up, things could've very easily changed and we may be in business to flash the image to the pi sd card with that method.

2018-12-29 19:44:46

Nitpicking here but there's no mate-tweak by default? Okay that's not a massive deal breaker, but I'm still pondering how to get the freedos stuff working as apparently it didn't pull it down from the Arch repos right and gave me a message about arming condition needs updating....after apparently installing?

Also, I swear there was a Kodi version in the AUR that has Kodi, screenreader and screenreader enabled from the get go? I thought that was a thing?

Also, hello just having a Desktop folder on my VM when I turn off hidden files. Time to go create Videos/Downloads/Documents/etc. I lways figured those were part of any install though thinking more about it, nooooope.

Lastly....how do I change the hostname? I start up the VM, it comes up as tstvm logon.

I'd like to chnge that...but.............nothing seems to work?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-12-29 19:45:53

More nitpicking. Is it just me or is Flight wayyyyyyyy to o quiet, and either my hearing's outta whack or the default voice is Scottish? I found a bunch of Russian voices however and Ukranian which made for a hilariously confusing time, though currently set to Welsh right now. It helps.

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-29 20:05:07

You know, I'm actually going to try this iso again. Something says I should give it another shot now that the server's up, things could've very easily changed and we may be in business to flash the image to the pi sd card with that method.And here we go. Iso works great, seems like the program thought my partition table was massively screwed on the sd card which it wasn't, just an inconsistency. Although, fdisk on the jenux iso was erroring out, so I had gotten hold of a Vinux live distro to use fdisk and at the time gparted to prepare the disk, and now it works. And now we're downloading. I decided to go ahead and download the full arch distro as I had wanted to before, and if kodi is not included I could easily install that.

2018-12-29 20:27:27

I'm still gonna say somebody needs to mirror the script and Hacker needs to update the ISO to check the mirrors for the script if his site's down.
Also, still no luck with the freedos-accessible stuff. It's acting like nothin was installed.

Also speaking of Kodi. I swear there was a Kodi package in the AUR of V17.6 with the screenreader ready to go and all that? Or if not, am I imagning this one?

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-29 20:30:03

One more

@Jack, are you doing a Mate or Everything install? For me the Mate was 945 packages all told and no errors, up and running in about 45-50 mins from firing up the VM. I just wish I could find a way to shut the speeech off in console mode since I'm installing it on a backup laptop as a test, and it reports every tiny little thing....and no, putting a brick on the control key doesn't help matters any smile

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-29 21:36:05

Hi, if people are having issues with the freedos-accessible package after installation, type the following into your terminal:
startdos
The first time, it will take a few seconds as it copies the base image to your home directory, but the next times should be instantanious. I am not sure how to change the flite volume, as that appears to be in the synth's source. To change the hostname, become root, then run:
echo what_ever_you_want_your_hostname_to_be > /etc/hostname
Obviously, replace what_ever_you_want_your_hostname_to_be with your actual hostname, and reboot. Also, a while back, someone was mentioning that when they were attempting to install the pi image, they got a bunch of messages about failed to set file flags. This is normal, since the boot partition, being formatted as fat32, does not support permissions and xattrs. The kodi image comes with a base arch image, combined with kodi and the accessibility addons, while the arch everything image comes with more or less everything in the jenux everything preset, but dropping to a textual login prompt, since the pi hardware, ARM chipset with 1 GB of ram, will be extremely laggy with most graphical desktops.

2018-12-29 21:38:51

Also, to shut off the speech, hit caps lock+control+enter. You can still use caps lock+u and caps lock+i to review, but no new text will be presented unless you hit caps lock+control+enter again.

2018-12-29 21:51:45

So minus the extra content in the Arch everything image, both Arch images are more or less the same, i.e if space and time are a concern downloading the 6gb Kodi image would quite obviously get me just as much a fully-working Arch distribution as the 14gb Arch everything. To be clear, does the Kodi image include Fenrir as well as the Kodi screenreader and accessibility packages, plus synths, plus a web browser, and then everything else from the full Arch image (penetration tests and the like) can always be installed later?

2018-12-29 21:57:42

Ok, I think the iso should be able to perform the installation with an already-existing .tar.gz. I downloaded it on my ssd already, and have it on a flash drive. Only spare machine that is controlling the installation of this is my inspiren1545 with a shit hdd that has to take forever on the download. The bsdtar just isn't working as it should which is why I'm letting it automate, but after some time I'm getting some errors that I miss because all the status and percentages getting in the way, and then, add another network y/n. My connection going perhaps? I have a usb tether enabled on my phone that is connected to the computer, so my home wifi is being tethered to my computer through the phone. As you can see, not the best setup either.

2018-12-29 21:58:09

Also, the iso will not boot from my macbook pro2015. Even with a usb soundcard connected.

2018-12-29 22:07:29

Since the installation script partitions the disk then asks to choose an image, would it be safe to remove the card from the dell after that's done, insert it into the mac, then mount the partitions through diskutil in terminal, then:
bsdtar xz root.tar.gz

2018-12-29 22:53:59

I'm not sure about using the mac to do the install, mainly because partition 2 which holds the rootfs needs to be ext4. If mac can read and write ext4, you should theoretically have no trouble, although I have no mac hardware to test this on.

2018-12-29 22:56:48

I purchased the paragon ext fs driver, which is the best low-level driver for ext4 filesystems. Now, with the actual file in hand, do I simply mount the two partitions as I would on linux, then do:
sudo bsdtar xz root.tar.gz
with or without the dash in xz?

2018-12-29 22:58:48

As for the difference between the kodi and arch images, the kodi image directly boots into kodi, running as a separate user. If you want to make the kodi image more general purpose, disable the kodi-standalone service with systemctl, which should give you a gettty login prompt, enable your screen reader of choice, and reboot, installing whatever packages you want beforehand. The arch linux image is specifically 64-bit armv8, so it'll need a pi3 or newer to boot successfully. While you may experience better performance, this image uses the mainline kernel, which means that the built-in sound device appears to be inoperable, requiring a sound card for audio output.

2018-12-29 23:03:50

According to the arch linux arm documentation, because of the xattrs, you cannot use sudo, you have to extract specifically as root. To extract, first become root:
sudo su
Then, cd to your root mountpoint:
cd /mnt
Ensure that the boot partition is mounted under your current directory:
mountpoint boot
finally, extract the root:
bsdtar -xf /path/to/rootfs.tar.gz
To see each file as it is being extracted, run it like this:
bsdtar -xvf /path/to/rootfs.tar.gz
Once this is finished, do:
cd
umount /mnt/boot /mnt
Unplug your card, plug it into the pi, and apply power.

2018-12-30 09:48:04

Ran into this just now.

Usually I just power off a VM and that's that. However, I ran into a strange issue. Installed Genux fine on a VM, powered it off. Fired it up after installing a few things. Get to the login screen, type my username/password, it played the logon music (which I like by the way, it's nice), then........nothing. Orca had somehow removed itself or become deactivated.

So, as of writing this I'm setting up a new VM, and......the iso won't boot up? ire up a new VM with the same config, 2.5 gigs of RAM, 40 gig HDD, select the virtual disk image, and boot up the VM. Nothing. Hitting enter, waiting does nothing as well.

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-30 09:57:26

Hi, on the vm with no orca, try control alt o, or double press alt super s. If your screen reader doesn't come up, hit control alt shift t to bring up a terminal, and try
killall speech-dispatcher;rm -rf ~/.local/share/orca
then hit control alt o again. If that still doesn't work, type
sudo systemctl stop speech-dispatcherd speechd-up
type your password, then hit control alt o. For the iso, make sure that you aren't using an already bootable disk image. If using virtualbox, after starting the vm, immediately after you hear starting, mash f12, and ocr the screen. If you hear something about boot select, hit c to force booting from the iso, hit enter to boot with accessibility. If that doesn't yield any fruit, ensure that you aren't using uefi in your vm settings, as vbox's uefi implementation is quite buggy and enforces secure boot, which you need a non-surgical pair of eyeballs to work around, adding the hash of loader.efi and the vmlinuz file to nvram, which will be cleared on the next boot.

2018-12-30 10:01:03

Also, as a heads up, I have spent all of today refactoring the raspberry pi installation scripts. The changes will not be noticeable yet, but once this is finished, the images will be generated using your resources rather than hosting, upgrading, and maintaining rootfs images. The raspberry pi installer will use a similar method to the jenux installer, downloading a small base OS and adding and customizing the image on the flashing device.

2018-12-30 11:10:44

No no, I mean after powering off the VM with a host+Q, it started up, got speech at the text login after a Mate install.....then nothing.

orca and orca --replace did nothing, and a sudo pacman -S orca showed it had become removed.....despite me not touching it or even running a system update?

Curiously, the steps you said showed files/folders had vanished entirely from the system?

Also on Linux natively

2018-12-30 15:57:29

Any chance you could turn one section of your server into an apt repo? Then you could host base system raw img images with the essentials like screenreaders and speech synthesizers, and if someone isn't using the installation scripts maybe due to the slower download overhead from the iso, they can:
sudo dd if=arch.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1m
then download all the packages as they normally would.
Kodi probably wouldn't work that way since that's pretty much part of the image and boots as a service.

2018-12-30 16:20:50

And that's exactly what I"m going to try today, as my pi is still not booting even after extracting the tar. Everything's on the card as well. By not booting I mean I can't hear speech for the Kodi image, and I can't see the pi on my router's list of devices after copying wpa_suplicant.conf into /etc/wpa_suplicant.