2021-04-30 12:26:04

when sable is released, will there be a glossary in the read me?

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2021-04-30 18:33:27 (edited by lemm 2021-04-30 18:34:36)

@toto, although we will be doing some Crimson Eclipse trailers at some point, our key focus at the moment is the game design team transferring all their design work into Sable, whilst our sound designer completes creation of all the unique sounds which make up Crimson Eclipse for things like music, soundscapes and cut scenes, all of which will bring Crimson Eclipse to life, once we have that all input into Sable, , then at that stage we’ll be able to look at getting some trailers done.
@Naruto,  although we’ve not put much thought into the Sable manual at this stage, as it will be something me and the game design team focus on more after the launch of Crimson Eclipse, but what we do know is that it will be much more comprehensive than the manual which went out with the Alpha test  build last year. since we never intended a public release last year, as it was originally only meant to be a small private team of testers  we had to rush to put a manual together so all the public testers had some documentation/explanation of how Sable worked. For the full release we’ll take a little more time over the manual to ensure everything is covered. Although I don’t have specifics on exactly what will be in the manual, since we just haven’t discussed that in any great detail just yet, but I’m sure when it does get built that there will be a glossary in there somewhere.

Paul Lemm

2021-04-30 19:27:14

Gods but this is exciting. A new game to play and an actually workable utility for game development LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2021-04-30 21:18:45

@Brian, you sound super excited about both the game and Sable, from a developer stand point that’s fantastic to see people like yourself and others still so excited about the project. I’m very excited to be almost finished with my testing, I feel like I’ve been working on Sable for so long now that I don’t actually remember a time in my life where I wasn’t working on Sable hahaha. I’m also really excited about the game too, even though I’m obviously part of meetings where the game and its content are discussed and we all share ideas and we can all give our input, it’s really a creation of the game design team, as my focus is more on Sable, so although  I’ve read the script and know a lot about the game, since I’m not directly  involved in the design of the game , to me its like getting a new game  to, so I’m excited for the game but also to see what the game design team produce using Sable.

Paul Lemm

2021-04-30 21:43:20

there's not even something to talk about we're all excited about and at least I'll definitely buy it game and sable as soon as you release them

2021-04-30 22:16:03

Well, I've always felt that RPG's were something the audio game market sorely lacks, although I know there are some who'll disagree with me. But when I first discovered the audio gaming community back in 2004 (my first actual audio gaming experience was with Grizzly Gulch Western Extravaganza back in 2003), I was extremely disappointed with how simplistic most of what was on offer at that time was. But then again I grew up on games like Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy and, my personal favorite, Lufia, which although I needed sighted help to play were still excellent games. So then I stumbled on this site and its database and most of what was available just seemed so bland by comparison. It wasn't until around 2008 or so, well 2009 if you want to get down to actual release, that we got our first real audio RPG which was of course Entombed. So Crimson Eclipse and by extension Sable is a major source of excitement for me. I want to see both projects succeed and will certainly do my part to help with that. I do think it's cool that you seem to be incorporating the ability to have multiple game endings even into the initial release, if I'm reading the last change log correctly. I've been toying with the idea of incorporating a bad ending into Ravenscroft, although that may have to wait till a hypothetical version 2 since it would involve being able to answer no to a question which, unless I'm much mistaken, isn't currently an option. But I figured that during Luke's conversation with his potential mentor, he'd have the option to say yes or no to the big question three times, and after the third refusal it would switch to a cutscene with dark music and ambiance, which would explain how Luke's refusal to take up the weapon of the hero led to the world's decline into darkness. It's sort of like how in the first Golden Sun game the player had the option to refuse to embark on the quest, and after a certain number of times the game would just display a little message that said "and so the world began drifting toward its inevitable destruction. Of course in my case there would actually be a cutscene that would showcase the ominous changes as society broke down and evil took over. Again this might be beyond the scope of what Sable will be able to do in its current form but I've always enjoyed when games had dark endings in addition to the good ones.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2021-05-01 00:38:57

@Brian, I actually only lost my sight when I was about 25, so similar to yourself I grew up playing main stream games, I didn’t even realise there were audio games until I lost my sight. So like yourself I grew up on games like Zelda, final fantasy and many other main stream games. when I did finally discover Audio games (which was a year or two I think before entombed was released), again similar to yourself I noticed straight  away that there wasn’t much in the way of RPG audio games, in fact this was actually one of the inspirations for me to try to teach myself to code, as I decided at that point I wanted to write my own audio RPG . To answer your questions, sadly there isn’t an option in the current build of sable for branching dialogs , so you can’t set different responses to a dialog line, that’s definitely going to have to be something that will have to wait for our second generation of developer tools. However in Sable it is possible to set different endings to your game, since there is an event trigger which once fired brings the end of the game, rolls the end music and end game credits etc, since this is an event trigger you can potentially have different end game points in your project, therefore allowing for potentially different endings in your game. I remember speaking to one of the winners  of the sable competition we ran last year, they produced the video which is now up on our YouTube channel called ‘Henrys story’. in his game he manages to escape the house by climbing out onto the roof and jumping off the building into the swimming pool, which you see in the video. However, when speaking to the creator of the video he told me he’s plan was to actually have various different ways you could escape the house, all leading to different outcomes, but just didn’t have the time to add that in since he only had the 3 weeks the public alpha was available. . This is a good example though of one potential way in which you could have different endings to a game based on actions the player takes in game, sadly you do only see the one ending in the video, but none the less it’s probably still one of my favourite videos due to the excellent sound design and all the effort that went into his project. just on a final note, again once more similar to yourself I do also enjoy games which have a dark edge to their stories.

Paul  Lemm

2021-05-01 02:27:28

The main difference in our gaming backgrounds seems to be that I've been blind my entire life. But yeah, I remember that video you mentioned. I still say Holly's Beyond the Ice video was my favorite though. It was obvious she'd put a lot of thought into her project as far as the story. It definitely left me interested to see where it ultimately went, which of course is the mark of a well-written project.

2021-05-01 10:59:13

@Brian, yeah I agree holly was my other favourite video. I think the two videos are very different in style so it’s difficult to say of the two which my number one favourite was. Holly’s having much more of an RPG feel instantly caught my interest, plus from the little we saw it seemed to have a really interesting story which you began to see shine through in her video, which is incredible considering she did it all in just over two weeks,  the intro to her video painting a little of the back story was awesome, I also liked what I got to see of the world she had started to build, it would definitely be a game I would buy and want to play more of to find out how the story progressed. I think with Johan’s ‘henrys story’, the thing that really stood out was the incredible attention to detail with the sound design and all the voice acting in the game, again especially when we consider he too had less than three weeks to make his video. I was also really impressed with the fact that even though he’s not a native English speaker  and all the voice acting was in French, he took the time to use google translate, to convert everything into English for us so we could understand what was happening in the game (the start of the video also unintentionally taught me how to swear in French too hahaha). I also liked the concept of having different routes to escape the house with differing outcomes and his use of Sable tools to create some of the effects in the game to give it more of a  unique feel. So although I enjoyed all the projects I got to see during the Alpha, but those two would I think both hold the joint number 1 spot for my personal favourite projects created during the public Alpha last year. Anyway, time for me to crack on with finishing this final testing phase Of Sable, I probably won’t be about as much on the forum over the next week or so, as I find once I start browsing the forum, replying to topics or  just browsing the internet in general its far to easy to get distracted away from coding smile So Although I will check in on the forum from time to  time to check I don’t miss anything urgent, but if you don’t see much of me here in the next week or so, know that it’s just as I’m trying to stay fully focused on coding and that I’m busy working away on Sable, as soon as I’ve finished that final testing phase I’ll be sure to post here to let you all know

Paul Lemm

2021-05-01 12:32:19

LOL my ex fiance could speak French and she taught me a few of the shall we say, more colorful phrases. Of course I don't remember them. But I was just thinking about the fact that once you finish polishing the section you're currently working on, Sable will for all intents and purposes be finished, this version of it at any rate. But yeah, Beyond the Ice definitely had a lot going for it. The world sort of reminded me of the lands beyond the wall in A Song of Ice and Fire.

2021-05-01 13:45:35

Something that I learned over the last few years, never jump on the hype train till the product is real.
I am excited for a new RPG and an engine that can build entire worlds and more, but I won't lose my mind over it, the fact that most hype trains ran into destruction when the final product came out made me very carefull.

As others have said, sable needs some kind of external scripting ability. Otherwise, the limits are just to tight if you can't modify anything outside the developers wishes, unless you have scripting at your disposal.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2021-05-01 14:39:37

The difference is that we had the opportunity to experiment with an alpha of the product which, while it certainly had and will certainly still have some cludginess to contend with upon initial release, could still do an impressive amount. Paul has already said he might look into adding scripting if and when version 2 of Sable is released. That will certainly give those with more mathematical minds than myself the ability to add extra features to their titles. There's also the fact that EbonSky has been extremely receptive to user feedback, which we haven't always been able to say about developers. Audio Game Maker cough cough.

2021-05-03 18:27:22

And, while we don't yet have any details, it sounds as though Crimson Eclipse is going to have more of a story than we've really seen in RPG's to date, except maybe for A Hero's Call. At least they tried not only to build an actual story but to work some background into the world. At least we can count on quality.

2021-05-08 20:01:29

Wow. Hard to believe in just a couple days it'll be exactly a year since the public alpha started.

2021-05-08 20:18:23

Time fly by fast!

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

2021-05-08 21:16:11

o yes
BryanP o yes
and equal to every day we are approaching the release date of this wonderful tool

2021-05-08 21:56:55 (edited by BryanP 2021-05-08 21:58:19)

I'm just amazed how much they were able to get done in that time. Then again, even the alpha prototype didn't really feel like what my past experiences with alpha versions has been. I was amazed how stable it was. I don't know that I would have wanted to try creating an actual full game with it but even back then it did what it did very well. I can't wait to actually experience firsthand the changes that were made since.

2021-05-08 22:51:12

I fully agree this huge work and it will certainly allow people who don't know how to program to create and seduput their dreams in the rpg games category

2021-05-08 23:36:01

Definitely. I've been working on the pen and paper aspects of my game so to speak, so that I can have it ready or at least mostly ready by the time Sable arrives. Of course I'll then still need music, sound and voice actors but at least I can hopefully get most of the rest of it done in the meantime.

2021-05-09 05:17:42

Hey BryanP!

If you need music I'll compose the music for you. I just sold my Yamaha Tyros3 to purchase the Roland FA-07. This is the keyboard that can do everythings. Just let me know.

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

2021-05-09 18:01:11

I'll keep that in mind.

2021-05-25 21:48:31

@lem
we've already missed you

2021-05-27 12:53:57

He did say he might not be around much since he was working on testing a final section or few sections of Sable to make sure things are working the way they should be. I got the impression this might take a couple weeks since he wanted to be as sure as he could be.

2021-05-30 07:56:17

I for one just watched my way through all the Sable videos on the EbonSky YouTube again. I'd really like to see Holly continue developing Beyond the Ice. Now there's a game I could see myself buying.

2021-05-30 09:56:36

Wow, that’s a lot of videos to rewatch hahaha. I agree though that the game Holly made using Sable during the public alpha last year looked really good. I’m really pleased she let us put her video demonstration of ‘Beyond the ice’ on our YouTube channel, as I think it’s a great example of what can be achieved using Sable even in a really short time, More importantly than that though I think it genuinely does look like  a really interesting game. I really liked what I saw in the demo and would definitely play the game myself if she decides to complete it, I know we only saw glimpses of the story, but it looked like a really interesting world with some intriguing concepts, and I’d love to see where she went with the rest of the game and how the full story would unfold. she definitely deserved winning the competition as she did, it’s a great bit of creativity from her with everything she achieved , especially when we consider the time constraints, in that she only had a couple of weeks to build the game , with no planning time since the Sable public alpha was a fairly unexpected release, since we never planned to do a public release. just quickly talking Sable, I am still working away on my final testing of Sable, it’s taken a little longer than expected. I’m almost done now though, I’ve just got enemy banding to test and also need to test NPC dialogs/quests., my dad goes in for an operation on Tuesday, so I want to try and get everything Sable based completed before then, so I’ve been pretty flat out  over the past couple of weeks working on Sable (hence me being so quiet on the forum recently). As mentioned though I’m hoping to get this final Sable update complete in the next two days, which will have me then finished with Sable (finally), so expect a new and  final change log in the next couple of days, I’ll be sure to post here once the new change log is up on our website.