2021-03-19 14:56:43

hi
so are you right and equal every day you need more and more to get patience so you don't start screaming when? When? it will end up in our hands.

2021-03-19 15:58:35

Hi,

Wow, yeah its crazy how that was almost a year ago now. I’m pleased with how Sable has come on since that Alpha release last year, it feels much more like a finished product  now, a lot of the changes and additions which have gone in since then have been as a direct result of feedback  from either the private testing team or from the public testers. Even though the public release wasn’t something that was planned, as Sable was only in its Alpha phase and not really ready for public release, it was a really productive testing phase which ended up giving us lots of really great feedback, plus it was just really great to see people getting their hands on and actually having fun with Sable. As mentioned earlier in this topic,  I’m still working through my final playthrough of Sable, making fine tuning adjustments and alterations, and fixing bugs. As previously mentioned I’m working through it section by section, I’m still working through abilities and status affects fixing bugs and adding polish (which is a pretty big job),  I’ve done my initial pass and am just going back through now. Hopefully I’ll have the section finished by the end of next week, at that stage I’ll put the change log up on our sight , I’ll be  moving over to checking enemies and class’s after that, which will complete the RPG testing phase of Sable (which is probably the most complex part to test, since not only does it mean like with any RPG game testing all the various RPG mechanics and calculations, but due to the very nature of Sable and the ability for creators  to shape the various enemies, equipment, abilities and status affects, that I need to try and account for each weird and wonderful combination/way in which people might try to create stuff in Sable smile I’m expecting the second and final phase of testing which is maps to go a lot quicker, it’s also had more stress testing than abilities and affects, so shouldn’t need as much fine tuning. Since I know people will ask, but no we still don’t have any release dates for Crimson Eclipse, and obviously Sable won’t be released until after Crimson, but from a coding standpoint it’s nice that I’m reaching the end of my final test play through  of Sable and can finally see the light at the end of that  tunnel  smile as ever thanks everyone for the continued support.

Paul Lemm

2021-03-19 16:26:24

Hey Paul, I got a question for you. How are you going to release Crimson Eclipse as a standalone game? Does Sable have a compilation system built in, or will you have to ship Sable with it, or will it just be a stripped down version of Sable without the builder features? Just asking out of curiosity.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-03-19 17:49:09

@ Dan, good question, regarding crimson  Eclipse directly, nope you won’t need  Sable to play the game, it will effectively be a stand alone game. I’ve written Sable in a way so I can remove the creating/editing  code from Sable, so it runs as just a game. So effectively it’s a stripped down version of Sable, I guess its sable without the sable hahaha. so when people get a copy of crimson eclipse it will be just Crimson Eclipse. I can’t say definitively how this is going to work for when we release Sable publicly, since we have a couple of potential business models for  how we might choose to do this, there are lots of factors which might influence this, not least of all how smoothly the Crimson eclipse release goes and how well received the game is. Once we’ve released Crimson and are ready to launch Sable we’ll be able to give more concrete details on exactly how this will work. We’ve got a pretty good idea of which avenue we’ll take, but I just want to avoid committing ourselves at this stage, especially before we’ve even launched our first game title. hope that’s  not too vague and kind of answers your question.

Paul Lemm

2021-03-19 18:10:56

Yes, that answered my question perfectly. Thanks Paul.

TWITCH

2021-03-20 15:45:01

One thing I might like to do with my game is to create enemies with specific counters to specific types of attacks. Final Fantasy games would sometimes do this, where certain enemies, often bosses though not always, would always counter physical attacks with physical attacks of their own and would counter magic with magic of their own, sometimes even very specifically. So if you had an enemy weak to fire and you hit them with a fire spell, they might counter with whatever their most powerful spell was. There's a particularly infamous enemy from Final Fantasy IV, called either the Trickster or Little Murderer depending on which translation you were playing. They would constantly cast the Libra spell on themselves, which would display their weakness to lightning. If you hit them with a lightning spell, they would counter by first casting the Haste spell on themselves, then unleashing their most powerful spells on you. So you didn't necessarily want to exploit their weakness until they were already close to death.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2021-03-20 18:19:33

Hay BryanP.
What you're wanting won't be in generation 1 of Sable.
I've been talking with Paul off and on about Sable, and he's said multiple times that scripted battles won't be in Sable.
Maybe in generation 2, but I don't know.
Sable's all about not having to program anything into the engine, and what you're wanting is more along the lines of scripting.
At the vary least, you're talking about if clauses, and having things like that might scare people away instead of inviting them in.
Later!

2021-03-21 11:12:58

Hi,

@Brian, as Threeblacknoises said its not something we have planned for the current prototype version  of Sable. I think Jayde brought up a similar idea a couple of posts back. I’d definitely like to add a customisable enemy AI system  into the next generation of sable, which would allow for these kind of enemy battles, although it’s doable,  it’s definitely something more suited to the second generation of Sable. I think it’s a fine balance, as I could continually add new features to the prototype to keep adding further options, but I have to remember it is just a prototype and that I want to be sure I don’t get so caught up in continually adding features to the prototype that it either never gets released, or that I never get round to actually building the second generation. We’ve discussed various ways we might add more advanced systems like this into sable and have lots of ideas  as to how we could make the second generation a lot more flexible , giving the end users more choice and freedom to create games which feel more unique , also more flexibility would help future proof a second generation of sable. but that’s a way off yet, I want to try and focus on the current version of Sable,  see if the concept is well received and something the community actually wants to see developed further into a second generation. Again, this feature won’t make it into the prototype,but Just as a follow on question though Brian, with the specific Final Fantasy scenario you gave, are you meaning the enemy automatically countered with this as soon as attacked with lightning, or that on that enemies next turn they then retaliated with those specific attacks? Just asking out of curiosity ?

Paul Lemm

2021-03-21 14:26:04

Oh no, these were automatic counters. One of the four major bosses in that game had two forms, one of which was an undead form that was weak to both curative magic and fire. If you hit him with fire, he would counter with a thunder spell. The kicker was that, while he was coded to automatically counter fire magic with thunder, he was also coded to have a certain chance of not doing it. It was just that if he did counter, it would always be that spell. But he would counterattack even if he'd already acted during that round.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2021-03-21 14:57:40

Manamon 2 dose something exactly like this in a sirtain boss battle I won't spoil.
If you attack the boss, it's scripted to counter your attacking manamon with a set attack that targets the weekness of of the move you used.
this happens directly after the attack is used on it, and negates anything that could block or reduce the attack.
After this, the boss still gets it's regular turn.
The trick with this boss is to use attacks who's weekness counter is something your manamon can actually withstand, as acting foolishly will cause the boss to one-shot your entire team; only using it's counter attacks.

Later!

2021-03-21 22:27:25

@Brian and Threeblacknoises, thanks for the extra information. I still haven’t gotten round to trying Manamon 2, its one I’ve wanted to try for a while but just been too tied up with life and Sable. I do like the concept of the specific boss counter you mentioned in Manamon though. At present my main focus is just getting this final play through/testing of Sable completed,  it feels like I’ve just been constantly working on Sable for so long now, so once I’m finished this final round of testing other than dealing with issues raised by testers or the Ebon sky Studios team I’m going to take a small break from Sable whilst the game design team build/work on Crimson. I can’t make any promises, but I might be able to look at adding some extra options to the counter status affect already in Sable. In the latest update I’m working on I’ve just added an option which lets you set the percentage chance of countering, potentially I could maybe add a few further counter options, allowing creators to specify that the counter would only work after being attacked with certain damage types or abilities, although this wouldn’t be the more advanced custom AI options I want to add into gen two, it would at least allow for some very basic level  of automation over attack types for creators to play with, potentially maybe even allowing creators to select which ability the target will counterwith. Anyway, like I said I definitely can’t promise anything, if it does go in it won’t be until nearer Sables release as I really need that very much overdue break smile but need to finish Sable first as I just can’t leave something  before I’m finished or with it half done.  But the extended  optionss for the counter status affect would be a simple additionand might add a nice touch of customisation options, I’ll definitely if nothing else be giving it some more thought and its been added to my list of possible additions, even if it doesn’t for any reason make it into this version, it gives me more food for thought for gen two. As ever, thanks for the suggestions and taking the time to give detailed examples.

Paul Lemm

2021-03-21 23:07:35

Hey Paul. Sorry for asking so many questions. This one is a curiosity question just like the last one. When Generation 2 of Sable is out, are you worried about having to port Crimson Eclipse over to the new version of the engine, or will you just leave it how it is, or is it even a concern at all?

TWITCH

2021-03-22 02:00:09 (edited by lemm 2021-03-22 02:16:38)

Hi Dan,

Not a problem about all the questions, so the honest answer is that I don’t have plans to port Crimson Eclipse over to the second generation of Sable. the fact that generation two isn’t just porting the code from BGT to a new language, but an entirely new set of tools, with it being a complete rewrite  with major changes in the works and functionality,  I’m not really thinking about backwards compatibility. Ensuring everything from the BGT build would work in the new  second generation of Sable would hugely slow development, potentially it would also risk hampering creativity , features and  overall flexibility of the new generation if I had to constantly worry about backwards compatibility. Again, I want to stress at this point  a second generation of Sable is really just a pipe dream and I haven’t ever promised or even confirmed that there will even be a second generation, its only something I would even look at building if the current prototype of Sable is successful and it seems it’s something the community would like further developed, I think rather than prototype maybe proof of concept is possibly a better term for the current version. Since there is no name for the next generation of tools, I often (maybe wrongly)just refer to it  as a second generation of sable, but its not Sable version 2, it might not even be called Sable,  so for all intents and purposes it will be an entirely  separate, new and different set of tools. So backwards compatibility isn’t really a main goal for the next set of tools I create, My key goals with the new version will be to produce a more robust set of tools with much more flexibility and advance systems ensuring it is a more future proofed set of tools (and hopefully much better written code too hahaha, jokes aside though this is my first project and although Sable works fine, there’s a ton of ways I could have done things better, more efficiently, and trying to make some of the older code I wrote in the current build of Sable work in a newer version would just be really messey and would hinder development). I think its important to remember we haven’t ever promised there will be a second generation, the fact we haven’t even released the prototype it really is to early to be talking about the next project, which is why I always try and keep conversations focused on our current tools, rather than what might or might not be in our future development pipeline.

Paul Lemm

2021-03-22 09:38:39

Hi, I have some small ideas.
1. Status effects with random turns. I mean this. We must write minimal and maximal turns for status effects, and sable will select randomly value betwin these variables.
2. Disposable keys. We can use the key, but only first time.
3. One key for some doors. This can give me this door block feature for example.
4. Quest item as an equipment, armour, key, etc.
5. Player can set name, but he's class is selected automatically.
6. Player can insert a name and select one from few, selected class. This classes will be selected with autor.

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2021-03-22 09:40:47

Oh, I have a question. Will sable support gamepads? And player will can remap keys?

2021-03-22 09:42:23

I'd love the support of gamepads and mice.

Founder and Managing director of Vidyadrishti.
Check us out on twitter at https://twitter.com/vidya_drishti
Check us out on instagram at https://instagram.com/vd.vidyadrishti
Check my YouTube channel out at https://youtube.com/c/techwithphoenix

2021-03-22 11:05:56

Morning,
Regarding gamepad support, I did add this a couple of versions back . I set it up to work with an Xbox controller, since that’s the only one I had in my house at the time. one of the testers did try it with their PS4 controller and said it did work, although the button inputs/mapping  work slightly differently between the two controller types, so I’ll need to add  a separate key config for PS4 controllers. So gamepad support is already in Sable, although I need to do a little fine tuning on the feature,  including remapping keys to a slightly more logical layout  as the current system was created just for the purpose of testing, I also need to set up automatic controller type detection,  so it switches button configuration to match the active controller type. not sure if there will be an option to remap keys though, honestly its just not something I’ve thought about  yet as to how I might implement that, so not sure how easy it would be, so can’t say whether key mapping will be an option or not.
@pates, thanks for the suggestions, I’m not really at a stage of adding new features, at this point I’m just adding final polish and trying to finish my final play through/testing of Sable, but I’ll make a note of your suggestions.

Paul Lemm

2021-03-22 13:26:26

I just had an interesting idea which might take work to implement, but would it be possible to implement a feature in Sable where you can export your character's statistics and abilities, and import them in the next game, similar to Eamon or the Wizardry series of CRPG's?
(Ultima and Bard's Tale might've done this as well, can't recall at the moment.)

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2021-03-22 14:11:06

Wow. I didn't thought it would support gamepads. Does it support rumbles as well?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-03-22 15:02:55

Rumbles are similar to game pads.

2021-03-22 16:50:06

One thing I hope a potential second version of Sable includes, assuming the final incarnation of the initial release doesn't, is the ability to create those story boss battles I talked about where you're expected to lose for story purposes but which you can in fact win with proper preparation and earn a special weapon or piece of armor you might not otherwise be able to get. Winning the battle might not necessarily affect story progression, you'd just earn an item you wouldn't otherwise be able to get.

2021-03-22 20:34:23

Hi everyone,

@ Zenothrax,  I’m not sure I’m following exactly what you are after, but it may just be as I’ve also not played any of the games you mentioned. So are you suggesting allowing a player to transfer their character stats from one saved game to another? using an existing audio game as an example:: if I started a  game of entombed, saving that game and then transferring all those character stats into a new game (providing class’s matched obviously),is that what you are after? If I’m understanding this correctly it seems like from a balance standpoint it would break a game, since you could simply take higher level character stats from a game you have almost completed and transfer them into a new game with characters just starting out with really low stats. Again, sorry if I’ve misunderstood what you are after.
@ SLJ, I’m a big fan of gamepad support, before I lost my sight I never did much PC gaming, it was always on consoles, so a gamepad just feels more natural to me when gaming. When you say rumbles, did you  mean vibration/force feedback? I assumed you did at first, but then looking at pates post, maybe I’m misunderstanding  and you are talking about a brand of controller called rumbles, which I haven’t heard of before. If it is just vibration you are asking about,  it’s not something I’ve added to Sable, sadly BGT doesn’t support this feature. It might be something I could look into with the second generation, but it’s not something I’ve ever looked into, so no idea how easy it is to add something like that. so can’t make any promises at this stage.
@Brian, this idea is already on my list of suggestions, I think it’s a good idea, not sure whether it will make it into this version or not. whichever version it goes into though I’d like to add an option to allow you to set a battle not to game over the party if they die, I’d also like to set an option so the battle can continually be revisited until the enemy is defeated. I’ve seen these types of mechanics in Final Fantasy games I’ve previously played and enjoyed, there are a couple of other options/possibilities  with battles which I think could be good, so it’s definitely an area I’d like to expand, just not sure like I said whether it will make it into the prototype, or wait until a second generation.

Paul Lemm

2021-03-22 22:50:12

I can't say I've ever seen that second battle scenario you mentioned Paul, unless you count in an online RPG I'm very fond of. I've been playing it for seventeen years this year if that tells you anything. LOL. But in one area of the game there's a warrior you can encounter who'll offer to spar with you in nonlethal combat. This guy is incredibly tough since he has the chance of attacking twice in one round, once with a normal attack and again with a special that can easily do over a hundred damage. Even his regular attack can hit pretty hard if you're particularly unlucky. Add to this the fact that you can't use magic or items and any special attacks your weapon would normally have a chance of unleashing won't proc you've got a tough fight on your hands. I think the only special attacks that work during that fight are dependent on your skill level with your preferred type of weaponry. But the point of this admittedly lengthy ramble is that you can spar with this fellow as many times as you like until you finally do manage to beat him. The game keeps track of how many times it took for you to beat him, although so far I haven't noticed any difference in the reward you get from managing to defeat him on your first attempt compared to having to make multiple ones. But this is about the closest scenario I can describe to what you were talking about.

2021-03-23 09:23:02

Hi @Lemm.
Yeah I ment vibration. that's a shame, but fully understandable since it's not supported in BGT.
I'm so excited about the gamepad support. Do you have control over the movement speed, like if you push the left analog stick a bit forward, the character will walk slowly? What is the right analog stick used for since the navigation is topdown, and you can't turn the character?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-03-23 13:31:25

@lemm, not exactly. I mean transfering your character/party's stats to the next game in a series, for example, moving my characters from Crimson Eclipse 1 into Crimson Eclipse 2, for example. If this isn't possible in the initial release, I'd like to see it added into version 2.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe