2019-02-22 01:31:31

Hi Everyone,

Wow, all I can say is a huge thanks to everyone  for all their help liking and sharing the video, we’ve generated so many views and likes in one day, its just incredible
@number 123, regarding your questions about body falls and enemy noises playing at the start of a battle, these two things aren’t in the current version of sable, but are both things we are discussing . I think the enemy intro sound would definitely add more atmosphere to the game and as for body fall sounds, again nothing I can confirm 100% but we’ve been talking about adding weight to the enemy creation it would not only allow for as you suggested differing body fall sounds dependant on the size/weight of the enemy but also would allow for some potential other interesting mechanics too. But as these aren’t currently  in sable I can’t really say anymore at this stage.  Just talking body fall sounds, I can’t remember if I’ve shown this in one of the videos or not, but you can create body fall sounds which are specific to the type of terrain you are on when fighting an enemy, so for example if fighting a battle on water you could have it set to splash into water for the body fall sound. I really like your idea of sounds for characters, it’s a really good idea and definitely one the team will discuss further.
@number 124, thanks for the interest in the project and for the like on the video too.  Regarding scripting, Sable has been specifically designed so no scripting or coding is required, so there aren’t any plans to add scripting, although this does have its limitations it allows anyone regardless of whether they have any programming or scripting knowledge to be able to create their own games.  Regarding pricing and security of sounds, sadly these are two areas its just a little too early to give any details on. I can assure you though, that we are taking security very seriously and more details on how that side of things will work will be detailed nearer to the release of Sable.
-@number 125, thanks for the interest and enthusiasm for the project. it’s much appreciated for you already pushing  the link on your YouTube channel and thanks to for offering to mention it in your marathon to , that’s hugely appreciated.

Again, just want to say a huge thanks to everyone for all the interest, it has been truly amazing the number of likes we’ve received in the last 24 hours, so a huge thanks to you all that have liked or shared the video.

The Ebon Sky Studios Team
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

2019-02-22 01:53:17

Rather than character portrait sounds, what if menu pop-ups, selections, closes, and activation sounds were customizable, possibly based on a criterion? For example. The food menu of a restaurant might play the sound of paper turning to represent you opening the menu, with a single page turn sound as you navigated to different items. Escaping out of a menu would play the sound of a book closing, and hitting enter on items to activate them might play a quickly scratching pen. The sounds could be based on criteria such as location name, character class, and whatever else you guys think might be a valid argument. This way, with one feature set, you've covered a multiple subset of desires. Various menus for different places can have their own audio environment and music, different navigation and interaction sounds, etc. It'd then let you play a sound to represent your character class.
Lets say you're reviewing the info for your characters. The menu for reviewing your party might have its own music, and open with the sound of several steps landing in time in a march stride (to represent multiple people). You'd then have a default navigational sound assign, say a finger snap. Lets say this game could have characters who hadn't picked a class yet, and so were just citizens. Assuming you have a party with 3 citizens and 3 professional mercenaries, as you arrow over the unclassed citizens, you'd hear the default finger snap. But based on the character class criterion, if you arrow over a warrior, you might hear a sword drawn, while arrowing over an archer would play a quick bow pull. The same would apply for activation -- hit enter on a citizen and a default sound might play, or maybe  a voice may play which requires a gender criterion. hitting enter on a classed professional might play their own voiced entry, etc, etc. Closing the menu could play a mass shuffling sound, as of people leaving.

I don't know if this might get too complex for your engine, and indeed I have no idea in which way you want to progress with the engine, but such a feature, if feasible, would make games created by people more dynamically unique, as they'd all be able to have their own menu sounds, and by design proxy, different sounds for character icons, equipment slots, etc, etc.

As always, loving the work you guys do, and you are also my first like on Youtube. Keep up the good fight.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2019-02-22 06:10:17

@Xoren that would be awesome!. lol

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-02-22 17:18:59

I'm suggesting adding scripting as an entirely optional extra feature.
To tell the truth, I'd have fun adding new stuff and maybe making collections of scripts to send out to other people who can't code.
I don't mind if you don't like / add the idea, though.

2019-02-23 01:02:01

Hi Everyone,

Well its been another fantastic day for likes on the YouTube video as we’ve just hit over 600 likes, which is amazing since the videos only been out just over two days, so again a huge thanks to all of you liking and sharing the video. I’ll try and answer below some of the questions which have come  in.
@number 127, thanks  for the continued support of the project and your like on the video, I really do appreciate that especially since it was your first YouTube like. So at present in Sable although you can add your own menu sounds, its more generic than what you are suggesting. So currently you can amend things like menu select, back, movement, menu end , inventory menu sounds etc, so it does allow some flexibility for users to add there own sounds, but like I said unfortunately not in as much depth as you describe. Your suggestion is a really good one though, having something like that in game would definitely allow for a lot of flexibility and allow creators to add more of a unique feel/sound to the games they create. It could get complex to add in  however, dependant on the depth and detail of such a feature. None the less it’s a good idea and one I’ll definitely mention to  the rest of the team.
@number 129. The question of adding scripting to Sable has come up quite a lot, I do understand that it’s a feature that various people would like to see and I understand you are only suggesting it as an optional feature, but I think what makes Sable unique in the audio games market is that every single part of an RPG audio game created using sable requires absolutely no coding or scripting what so ever. We do completely understand that people just want the most flexibility and control over games they create with Sable, and the team  here is always working on adding new features and ideas to give as much flexibility to sable users as possible.

Again a huge thanks to everyone for all the likes we’ve received  so far, it really is appreciated.

2019-02-24 16:52:21

Hi,

Liam, saw the mention you gave to us on your Channel, really appreciated for that and putting a link to us in your video description too. I hope your 10 hour audio game marathon on your channel goes well today, I’ll be heading over there shortly to check it out. Also on a separate note, loved the stream/play through you did on a hero’s call, great job, plus personally it really helped me out in the mines when I got a little bit lost haha.
We also wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone else too who has shared our video or added a like  to it, its hugely appreciated , we’ve gained over 600 likes in just a few days which is incredible  and the video itself has had almost two thousand views which is phenomenal ,  so huge thanks to you all. If anyone hasn’t seen or liked the video yet there’s also a link to it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNOid8rejw

2019-02-25 21:06:10

Hi Everyone,

We’ve just recently uploaded the next video in the ‘creating an RPG audio game using Sable’ series . we hope you all enjoy the video , the link to it is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXngDrPuTvU

2019-02-26 17:22:00

I hope you get so many likes and views that youtube almost lags! Lol.
I wonder, how are things looking in combat? I enjoy a complex system, with armor, enemies who can dodge, different attacks and stuff.
Is the combat rpg based or realtime?
Sorry if these questions are in the videos somewhere.

2019-02-27 00:40:21

Battling is turn-based.
All the other things you asked like damage and dodging are calculated using the dice role system, at least that's what the developer system calls it.
I doubt a player will actually see any of that though...
Later!

2019-02-27 08:47:50

hi !ebonskystudios  !super awsome sound it is  i herd  on youtube . man really cannot wait to  get this thing  plese also  ad  ability to make space  games with it  like  dead

2019-02-27 12:02:05

it's an RPG maker. you could always make a space based RPG. lol

2019-02-27 12:30:39

Hi everyone,

We wanted to take this opportunity to say a huge thanks to everyone who liked or shared our Holman prize video, We’ve had a truly phenomenal response, the video only went live last Wednesday and we’ve already gained 921 likes so far, so a huge thanks to you all. One of the other great things to come from all the shares , is that the video has been viewed by almost three thousand people ,   which is a huge exposure for audio games  in general , considering these views were from both the blind  and sighted communities. We’ve had people reach out to us from the sighted community  wanting  more information  on audio games and accessibility . so regardless of how we do in the Holman prize if we’ve managed to create some extra awareness  of the audio games community, as far as the whole team here is concerned that is a win for us. If anyone hasn’t seen the video , and wants to check it out the link to it is below, but again a huge thanks to you all  for your support, it really has been hugely appreciated from us all here at Ebon Sky Studios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNOid8rejw           

2019-02-27 17:00:23

Will you add multiple sounds for an ability? Also it would be cool to be able to set multiple pain sounds for different types of damage types as well as multiple body falls for different surface types

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2019-02-27 18:43:29

I might be satisfied with one set of random pain sounds for each enemy.
Is the engine supporting 2D, 3D or both?
I'd love for there to be a way to auto generate a random map every time the player restarts a game, like entombed.

It has doors, passages and different staircases at random locations.
That was one thing I really enjoyed about that game.

2019-02-27 20:29:09

hero caller
rote:
it's an RPG maker. you could always make a space based RPG. lol hi  : it wood  so good  rpg game with space stations and   more thing able to add  can this game engin make   multyplayer ? game??

2019-02-27 21:49:44

I kind of think the formulas for calculating damage, at least as described in the various fields as you created weapons, abilities and so on seem a bit limited. I hope in the future, creators would be able to create their own formulas. Note, this isn't scripting per se, just adjusting the math that gets done. For instance, on scaling, rather than tying an ability to the level of the player, it would be nice to add a multiplier to that as well to put it always just a bit more.

Also, I would like to see as much flexibility. I take your no scripting as a hard stance, I disagree with this stance, but do so respectfully, after all it is your project, and if that is the goal, then so be it. However, given that, I would like to see as much customization as possible within the confines that would naturally exist in an engine where coding/scripting isn't an option. Just as suggested by other users, perhaps the user wants to create an RPG set in a different time. Then you might not want to use very obviously fantasy descriptors for your stats like int wis char str and so forth. Or you could define different behaviors. I'm envisioning a creative process that doesn't involve any code, but reacts in such a way as creating Siri shortcuts. You do get to customize your Siri shortcut, yes you will deal with variables and so forth, but no you don't actually write code. You basically drag actions from the tray at the bottom into the main field, then you fill in the parameters, the actions run through in a sequence, where the output of one is piped into the input of the next one down (unless that action doesn't accept the input or is designed to do something else with it instead). I could see something like this where you still could stick with your original premise of the user not writing any code, but which would satisfy a wider array of advanced things. By no means am I suggesting forcing the more advanced aspects on everyone, simply just adding them to a collection of tools that already exist in the Sable toolbox. It would be like if you have the most common wrenches in one tray, then you get into the specialized wrenches for a specific job, or that are a specific size or something like that in another tray.

I think customization is key. In all ways, I would like to make a game that feels like me, if that makes any sense. I've done some web development, at a very amateur level mind, but I've done it. Now, one of the reasons I don't like to use a CMS like Wordpress is because unless I literally want to write my own theme, or modify an existing one, there's not a lot I can do to make my site feel like my site. Oh sure I have a huge array of colors to choose from, I can put the side bar on either side, put whatever I want into it, etc. But the more you dig into wordpress to make it feel more uniquely you, the more inadequate it feels. This is why I feel that Sable could be made even greater by not imposing artificial limitations on the creators, such as hard coding things that really don't need to be hard coded. For instance, let the creator decide how many sounds per action of a particular enemy, object, or player there are. Let the player redefine the mechanics by as much as possible without introducing scripting.

I think hopefully I've made some sense here. I know there's a lot going on with funding and the like, and perhaps some features that can't be put in the initial release can be added at a later date when some of that revenue is recouped after people start to buy Sable. No matter what happens, Sable will still be unique, in that it will be the first product of its kind in the audiogames market. I wish you guys a great deal of success and have liked and your Holman Prize video and subbed to your channel.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-03-01 00:00:13

Hi everyone,

Thanks as ever for all the interest in the project , I’ll try and answer some of the questions which have come in below
@number 134, as threeblacknoises mentioned, yes battles are turn based in sable, there’s an example of battles in video 4 which is the one about enemies, I’ll also show some more battles in a future video too, but yes things like armour dodging etc are all possible.
@number 138. We’ve actually toyed with the idea of changing ability sounds to a similar system as we do for weapons , enemies etc, where we would use sound sets instead , which would  then allow you to have multiple ability sounds. But we’ll just have to wait and see if this makes it into a later version of sable or not. You can give multiple pain sounds to enemies and characters, but this is selected randomly when hit and not affected by the type of damage the character has taken. You can also have different  body fall sounds though for different terrain types.
@number 139. I’m personally a big fan of entombed, as it was one of the first audio games I played. I really like the replay value the game offers and part of that is due to the random map generation. We’ve talked about this as a feature, and although its something we would all like to see, its not on the highest priority of things we want to get added in, so although it may get added at some stage, it almost certainly wouldn’t make it into sables  initial release, but maybe if we pursue the idea it might make it into some future release/update.
@number 41, thanks for subscribing to the channel and the video likes too, their all really appreciated.  There are some good suggestions and interesting concepts in your post. I completely agree with you customisation is key , and I’ve seen some great suggestions from the community  so far which could add further customisation to sable. I think additional or alternative options for damage calculations is a good suggestion,  But as far as redefining underlying mchanics go though that is beyond the scope of what we have planned for the initial release of sable. We want to give people the tools to be able to create their own games, Sable already has enough customisation that with clever thinking, good storylines and good use of the tools, not to mention clever sound design and use of those sounds that a user can definitly add a unique feel to their games, but their will always be rule systems and frame works that people will need to work within if they want to create a game using sable rather than coding it themselves. We would definitly love to expand sable further, we ourselves have lots of future development ideas, tools and mechanics which we would love to see in future iterations of sable, but discussing what future development plans are past sables release , its just too far out to speculate  at this stage as there are so many factors outside of our control, such as how popular sable is, what do people like and dislike, what are the features the community most want to see etc. I’ll definitly check out siri shortcuts though on my phone as that’s not something ive played with before and I’d like to see how that works in more detail.

As ever thanks to everyone for the support and enthusiasm towards the project.

2019-03-03 01:42:48

Can you do a video showing all menus and how to access them? Also there should be a menu with the list of menus because not everyone can memorize a hundred shortcut keys for menus

2019-03-05 00:18:35

Hi,

@number 143. Thanks for the post, I’m not sure there is the need to do a video just showing menus, since I think come the end of the video series,  all menus will have been shown in the various videos. Regarding menu shortcut keys, there actually aren’t too many I think there are only 10 shortcut keys, and you can tab between most menus too, but I do hear your point about a master menu which gives a list of all menus, this is something another poster suggested earlier in the topic, although I can’t promise anything it is a good idea.

2019-03-05 08:48:15

can you make cutscenes in the program? like if someone ported a game like FFVIII that just had text that needed to be read via sapi, and will Sable also work with NVDA?

2019-03-06 00:23:22

Hi,

@number 145, Thanks for  the post, I’m actually not too sure I know what you mean when you say ‘like if someone ported a game like FFVIII that just had text that needed to be read via sappie, . regarding your other two questions, though, no,  sable does not support screen readers, it relies on Sappi for TTS. You also asked about cut scenes, so although you can add cut scenes to the games you create,  it doesn’t offer a tool for you to make the cut scenes in sable, you would need to make these using  your own audio editing software . actually regarding audio editing, our sound engineer (who produced all the music you hear in the video series) has been toying with the idea of doing a video miniseries on sound design, offering hints , tips and tricks etc on sound design and editing. Although I can’t definitely promise he will be doing this, I thought I’d ask here since the topic has come up, would you all be interested in a mini video series on sound design?

2019-03-06 08:48:55

I would for one. I saw the thread.

2019-03-06 16:52:03

To address post 145; I think you may be getting a little ahead of yourself.

For one, porting Final Fantasy anything to Sable would be illegal. But secondly, it would likely require scripting to be a faithful port. For instance, in the game you cited. How would you build the timeed attacks on Squal's gunblade strikes or the interactivity into Irvine's limit breaks? I don't think Sable has interactive abilities in it's current state.

How would you build the drawing system and the junctioning system without being able to completely script  a new equipment system and new ways to learn abilities into the engine?

While I think the idea behind Sable is awesome, it won't allow for any innovation. Most RPGS have some mechanic that, unless explicitly added to the engine, would not work in this environment. For instance, I don't think Sable could be used to create a monster collecting game like Pokemon at this point. It sounds more to me like the emphasis will be on creating stories and not innovative or inspired mechanics as you could do with BGT.

2019-03-09 21:53:38

hmmm. point taken.

2019-03-10 00:23:46 (edited by lemm 2019-03-11 21:37:21)

Hi everyone,

So the next video is here, this one is basically  taking everything we’ve created in the last 6 videos and making it feel a little more like a game, so rather than it covering one specific thing, it’s a video of lots of little things. I was planning on getting this all into a single video , but it ended up longer than I expected when it came to actually recording it, so I’ve split the video into two parts. We’ve uploaded the first part, and the link to part one is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88PmoDor_yo

Thank you everyone for the continued support and we Hope you all enjoy this latest video.