2020-04-09 20:45:54

Whoa whoa, slow down. Lol.
1. ActiveSync is for installing sofware and syncing documents, contacts, calendars and music like you would a real Windows mobile phone.
2. Virtual PC 2007 is for networking. Required for activation of screen-readers unless you're ok with 10minute demo mode.
3. Windows Mobile 6 professional vs standard: only different is some business functionality plus touch support, which is obviously not going to work on the emulator, but there's that. Biggest difference you will notice is more of a Windows desktop feel than the smartphone, as Windows Mobile 6 Professional was for PDA's. Not much of a performance difference.
4. I'm working on compiling all the games in a central place once I can get them all. When I do, they'll be in one emulator package.

2020-04-09 20:59:12

Sorry for the many questions. This is very helpful, thank you. So what's the minimum amount of software i need to run? Is it just the emulator and ActiveSync? I know ActiveSync is used for syncing data, but why is it necessary to run this?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-04-09 21:21:21 (edited by jack 2020-04-09 21:21:44)

Without Active Sync, you cannot install programs or copy files. If you want to see what it was really like, get yourself an htc ozone on the used market, they're literally like 10 bucks now. The phone was about as dependent on the computer as an Apple Watch is dependent on the iPhone today, just over the wire.

2020-05-30 17:55:06

Hmmmm, this is very interesting. Slightly unrelated, but where can I find accessible guides and emulators for Dosbox, Apple 2, ETC?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-10-04 05:18:56

I wonder if there is a way to dump the packmate rom for emulation purposes? I wish we could move projects like this along a little quicker, I love to nerd out with this stuff. Of course if we figure out anything substantial, we probably can't host it on ag.net, rules and all but, man i get pumped when i read threads like this.

2020-10-04 07:32:20

Or truly discontinued stuff like the Maestro. I have the TRekker Solo software but that would obviously be useless on an emulator. When we're talking stuff that's clearly available, if there's irrefutable proof that it's been preserved, the best thing to do is to throw it in their face so they could make this easy on everyone and give the necessary permission for it to be preserved. Important pieces of A T history. Windows XP will probably go this same route, honestly they let it leak, so they would be wise to just let it be rather than wasting useless legal resources on a 20 year old operating system.

2021-01-05 03:51:08

Hi,
I'm having an issue running the emulator. For whatever reason, after selecting the image and saying yes to all of the network security prompts, I get an error, something about unable to start serial port com 3, then another saying the emulator was unable to start. This happens both with VM's and the host OS, and I have microsoft virtual PC installed on both, active sync on the VM.

2021-01-05 04:55:33

I'd be interested in this stuff. I have an old windows mobile 6 smartphone (samsung jack I636) with mobile speak installed. I used to have some of the braillesoft stuff on it as well but I ran out of space. since someone was already able to decript the rom containing the dls used by wm6, dumping the rest of the phone shouldn't be too hard. I'd also like to see the Eureka A4 emulated somehow (that one uses cp/m).

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2021-01-05 18:18:03

@ammericandad2005: You don't happen to have Mobile Speak activated on that thing do you?
The screenreader is officially out of print practically everywhere, yet Code Factory has been dead silent when I asked them about preservation. Steve Bennett was a lot nicer when I approached Dolphin about Smart/PocketHal, and he did say that they didn't have the means necessary to generate license keys. Either way, SmartHal was obviously retired quickly back in 09 since it only extended to a few smartphones. Incidentally, the rushed Nuance Talks for Windows Mobile6 on an HTC Ozone (which I have) was a derivative of SmartHal. Sadly it's probably not the best idea to get it running on the emulator as it was more than a little unstable even at time of release.
Code Factory, however, is totally bullshitting us with their silence. While Mobile Speak is technically abandoned and out of circulation, they most definitely have the means to generate licenses, as the activation servers are still alive and well.

2021-01-05 19:31:48

MS is has been activated for a fiew years as of this writing (on my phone at least). I only have the default dectalk engine, though.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2021-01-05 22:47:20

@jack, assuming my information is correct, mobile speak activations are actually tied to the devices in question, so you can't just go giving them to other people, unfortunately. This would probably prohibit it's use in a Rom as well.
Something interesting though, it says on their website that mobile speak can still be obtained through local distributors, and to contact them for details. I've done just that this morning, so we'll just have to see what happens.

2021-01-06 01:09:16

THat message is nothing new. Code Factory always sold through a distribution network. I doubt any distributors are actually still selling thie ting, typically if they don't have a listing for it then all bets are off.

2021-01-06 12:09:56

I know this is a bit of-topic, but because we speak about emulators and emulating extinct devices, is there any chance there might be a symbian emulator with talks installed on it? Or am I just kidding my self by hoping it?
I think all of us must agree on one thing, though. There were some great games for symbian, even if only for historical purposes like some of the simon games released for this platform.
I know there were some games made by pontes as well and I herd they were great back in the day, would love to check them out, but I wasn't around for long enough to catch symbian in full power, so didn't have a phone on which to test things.

2021-01-06 16:44:23

I do happen to have the official emulator for the n97 and can get an n82 rom as well. Problem? They both only work on Windows XP and must rely on inferior OCR, and Talks is not a signed binary, so getting the emulator to install unsigned binaries is going to be difficult.

2021-01-06 16:57:31

ahh, well then, thanks for answering anyway.
btw, why must I use xp again? I mean, doesn't windows have compatibility mode for a reason?
and what the hell? were there signed binaries even in that age?
I think I once had a collection of symbian games, must dig them up from somewhere. There, I also think there was a way to get both talks installed, plus a crack for it that would bypass limitations or whatever. I kind of got the info secondhand, since I have a friend who had such a symbian device, so I will see if he knows some tips to get it running. It would be really interesting if popular emulators would include such old mobile operating systems, not only consoles and other shit. I mean, if people are interested in playing things on a nes or ps2/3/switch/whatever, then why not this thing as well?

2021-01-06 17:04:08

@jack, any ideas as to my error in post 32? I still haven't been able to get the dam thing running.
BTW, and again this is slightly off topic, but do any of you know where I can get the latest version of talks for free? I heard there was a file somewhere, but I don't want to just go downloading and running exe files from random websites.

2021-01-06 17:36:46

yeah, there is no free version of talks, but I herd you must install a kind of virus on the symbian device to make it install non-signed binaries. Then, you must install some patcher and input some serial code thingi to activate the patch. Or does the patcher patch talks to think that serial is valid? I honestly don't know, I wasn't given more info than this. Wait a bit and I will upload it when my friend gives it to me. Of course, if this is all right with the mods?

2021-01-06 18:14:39

Not sure on public distribution. TEchnically, Talks is absolutely and completely abandoned, and you can't really purchase it anywhere. But who knows at this point. I know MObile Speak was actually developed a lot longer than Talks was, since version 5.90 came out on the Simbian store in January 2014.
For now, it's probably best we get the emulator running first, Talks in demo mode is at least better than no Talks at all.
As for why Windows XP? Compatibility layers don't work for this older emulation technology.

2021-01-06 20:42:44

Yeah, I'm more than willing to switch to email or some other form of distribution if these things can't be allowed on the forum. Perhaps a mailing list or something?
Jack, sorry to sound like a broken record but, post 32? I'm half wondering if my hardware is somehow incompatible, particularly given the fact that my XP VM didn't like it either.

2021-01-06 21:14:39

well, if the emulation technology is so old, then why can't we use something like qemu? I mean, sure, we can use something to speed it up, but I think qemu can emulate almost everything, with the right patches made, of course.

2021-01-06 21:49:20

off topic. but what exactly is qemu. or more specificly what is so special about it compared to vm ware player or virtual box

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2021-01-06 23:18:18

@bgt lover: Um no. It's called get an xp vm and run the emulator. It would take up hardly any resources considering the hardware it is emulating. Unlike Android, the Simbian operating system is not open. Initially you had to *register as a Simbian developer to get the proprietary emulator. Of course, that's kind of hard to do now with the platform pretty much dead.

2021-01-06 23:19:26

@haily_merry: You might want to either try adding a serial port to the vm, or answering no to starting the serial port/celular service if your hardware is refusing to start the emulator.

2021-01-07 00:32:36

@jack OK, I think I will install an xp vm. But, correct me if I'm wrong, xp doesn't come with narrator installed, right? So then, how do I use it? Is there a pre-made vm with nvda or jaws or whatever so that I won't need sighted assistance?
@rings: Qemu is about hardware emulation, while vbox/vmware is for hardware virtualisation. Not a big difference there, but there is still some. Emulation software like qemu, retroarch, mame, etc emulate real hardware almost completely in software, so that even if you run windows, you could still run, for example, software written for the omega os, like the first purebasic or blitsbasic. Disadvantage to this is that, while it trys to emulate hardware as fatefully as possible, due to the fakt it's completely done in software, it's very, and I mean very slow.
A vm, however works on the principle of let's split this huge computing resource into multiple, smaller such resources. So, it uses the actual processor of the host machine to execute the code of the guest OS, even if with some more complicated pieces of software called hypervisors that make a bridge between the two as well as make sure the guest doesn't escape the sandbox of the host. So, due to the way it's implemented, a vm is faster, but with the added cost of not being able to run operating systems not made for the architecture the host is running on. For example, if you are running windows and want to run windows for arm, or ubuntu for arm etc, you won't be able to because architectures differ.
however, nowadays there is not such a clear line between emulators and virtual machines anymore. Because people begun to realise that emulating a hole system, from processor to gpu is too slow in practice, they added support for things like make the emulator use the gpu of the host, or pass opengl drawing commands to the host in stead of rendering them directly, etc. Qemu can do this thing as well, depends how you configure it.
due to some security problems found almost everyday even in modern hypervisors, some vm makers decided to take some things from the emulator.
All of that out of the way, qemu, in it's bare form, is a general, multipurpose emulator and nothing more. That's why it's good for this kind of thing, because it can emulate the hole hardware, even though it might move very slow Though honestly, for symbian it's not gonna be a very big difference anyhow.
and we can't use it here, since the nokia people had their proprietary emulators all along, but I guess one could extract the rom from it or whatever, but that's fucking exhosting  for anyone who wants to try, so yeah.

2021-01-07 00:44:24

thanks for explaining that

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609