2018-11-19 01:59:56

I've just made a push to the Treasure Hunt repository.

This is still a work in progress and I'm cleaning up code from the IL dump as well as rewriting a bunch of code, so there will be problems. If you're already running the game, simply start it and it will grab the new version for you.

Here's the change log. You can view the linked version here: https://github.com/munawarb/Treasure-Hu … angelog.md

4.44 11/18/2018
• If a remote-controlled missile is shot down, the player will hear the explosion no matter how far away the missile is. This will make it obvious that the missile was destroyed (#12)
• The game no longer relies on hard-coded frame ticks and now operates on a time elapsed basis with respect to frames. In other words, the game time might look something like fw = t where f represents the number of frames in the current session and w represents the width of each frame in milliseconds. Previously, Treasure Hunt was only accounting for f and assumed w=100, so the time elapsed formula would look like 100f = t. This change allows for future adjustments to the frame rate if needed (#5)
• The game no longer uses the Short type and all Short integers have been promoted to Integer. This was necessary to prevent arithmetic overflow exceptions especially on account of trackers now using the frame width (#10)
• The game loop that was started in the load event handler has been replaced with a timer to control the game loop. This is less resource-intensive (#11)
• Treasure Hunt no longer uses KeyDown and takes advantage of DirectInput through the use of BPCSharedComponent.dll, a library I wrote for Three-D Velocity. Keys are now processed in the game loop, making key processing smoother (#9)
• The single footstep sound has been replaced with better footstep sounds (#7)
• Key presses are handled better now and weapons can be rapid-fired. A lot of the key-handling code was cleaned up (#6)
• The game loop is now much cleaner and no longer runs every tenth of a second. The slow frame rate would force the player to slow down so the game could update the state (#4)
• When the player holds down an arrow key, the character will move steadily in that direction as opposed to taking only one step (#3)

I hope you guys enjoy it!

2018-11-19 11:27:36

Hey Munawar
Do I need to get visual studio to run the game?
We should try to port this game to something more cross platform-ish

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-11-19 16:55:18

Hi, Phoenix here. Where do I fin the code to enter into the control panel? Thank you

Phoenix

2018-11-19 17:11:50

The code is in the main story.
It is kill all die.
@munawar This version is full of bugs, I am waisting my ammo because alot off guards are fozen.
When guard is in the range of shoot and I hear a beeping I can not kill him.
Sometimes when I am in any corridor I hear a sound of closed door in fron of me, but but it is not true, because I am standing near the wall.
This new footstep sound is to quiet for me.

2018-11-19 17:37:06

The password for the pannel is actually Kill all! Die! I'm gunna grab this version and see how it works now.

Barren Byron used Nature Overdrive!

2018-11-19 20:50:36 (edited by revan 2018-11-19 20:51:36)

he mentioned game work in progress
so he'll fix the bugs

2018-11-19 20:52:40

Phoenix here. How do I take care of the mine control center after typing the password into the control panel?

Phoenix

2018-11-19 21:11:13

I can't load my saved games anymore. It only makes the noise like if something isn't available and then I'm back in the main menu.

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2018-11-19 21:31:40

Awesome, thanks for the update! I especially like the auto walking big_smile

2018-11-19 22:20:35 (edited by Sean-Terry01 2018-11-19 22:21:30)

Hi, I tried to create an issue for this on the GitHub page, but, I can't seem to figure it out I hit the issues link, but, couldn't find a place to create one. But, here it is. I'm running v 4.45. When I try to load a saved game, it loads fine, but, it also reastarts the main menu and leaves me in it along with the music and sounds for the game.

2018-11-19 22:20:43

how to activate autowalking feature.
I dont see this in the changelog

2018-11-19 22:23:01

Just press down on and arrow and hold it. you keep walking in the direction of which arrow you hold down until you let go of it.

2018-11-19 23:08:33

Hi, Phoenix here. How do you take care of the mine control center after typing the password in the control panel? I cannot seem to figure that out.

Phoenix

2018-11-19 23:26:24

Hi, when I'm try to launch treasure hunt, and then the following error happened, ""The type initializer for 'th.DXSound' threw an exception."
"   at th.DXSound.InitDX(Int64& WinHandle)
   at th.mainFRM.mainFRM_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)",".
How can i fix this one.

2018-11-19 23:46:09

Hi @mojsior, I'm sorry the game is not enjoyable for you and it makes me sad to hear that it's a terrible experience for you. Concerning the frozen guard thing, that one will be difficult for me to solve since I personally cannot hear the targeting beep because of my hearing loss. I depend solely on the SHIFT+ARROW keys to notify me about guards and other objects. But I'll do my best to look into it, probably get someone else to confirm for me if it is still an issue after the next update.

I hope the next version you will actually like, since I truly did work hard to make this open source for no other reason than for people to enjoy it.

2018-11-20 00:12:10

Hi. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but, I found the supply room, unlocked it, and there was nothing in it. I did all this before I saved and found out that I couldn't load a saved game because the main menu comes back up.

2018-11-20 00:15:32

Hello,
You need to wait for the supply room to be stocked first.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2018-11-20 00:52:10

I forgot how long it takes for that to happen. Lol.

2018-11-20 01:20:55

It takes about 15 minutes for the supply room to restock, maybe more. About the mine control center, you have to launch a missile and target it to ware the control center is. As of version 4.42, it gives me a program error. I don't know about 4.44.

Barren Byron used Nature Overdrive!

2018-11-20 02:15:38

If you're having trouble loading games, the workaround is to start a new game and then press ctrl+l to load.

2018-11-20 05:01:40

I'd really like to try this, but I have no experience downloading formerly commercial now open-source games LOL. I also remember that last time I tried TH on a Win10 machine I discovered I couldn't save my game.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-11-20 05:22:10

I ended up downloading the master version because I couldn't figure out how to get the normal one, but I can't figure out how to run the master version.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-11-20 06:08:23

Instructions are in the readme on GitHub and I've reposted them here.

Treasure-Hunt-GitHub wrote:

Downloading Treasure Hunt
You can either download the zip file of the master branch, or if you're normal like the rest of us and prefer to use Git, just execute: git clone https://github.com/munawarb/Treasure-Hunt.git
Run the file Treasure-Hunt/Bin/Debug/th.exe to start the game. The executable of the latest version already exists in this package and you don't need to compile it.

In other words, it's as easy as it can get: just run th.exe in bin/debug. Done. No special wand-waving, no special compiling, nothing. Just run the executable.

2018-11-20 09:12:07

still having problem when run treasure hunt though

2018-11-20 13:34:22 (edited by Munawar 2018-11-20 13:40:49)

Hi Claw,
In another thread, I found this message. Try these instructions and let me know if they work for you.

willbilenc wrote:

If you find that the game wont run download the  Kitchen's inc Games  winkit installer
You can get it from.
https://www.agarchive.net/games/kitchensinc/winkit.zip
At least that worked for me.

Please post back here and give me an update. I'll check this thread for your reply from time to time so we can get this resolved together.

@mojsior, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem you're having with the guards. I did some amplification on the targeting tone so I could hear it in order to debug your issue. It works fine on my end and I spent quite a long time trying different things to see if the bug pops up. No go. So I'm almost ready to say this is user error or you're not understanding something in the game correctly and calling it a bug, unless someone else can reproduce this issue.

Also, many thanks to those of you who are taking your bug reporting to GitHub. I really do appreciate that since it cuts down on the number of places I have to look for feedback and makes fixing and tracking issues efficient.

Those of you who are having trouble posting, there are tons of blind people already posting on GitHub so it's by no means inaccessible; you just need to figure it out. In fact, GitHub is one of the more accessible sites out there IMO.