2008-10-27 23:23:36 (edited by cw 2008-10-27 23:24:44)

I'm found some articles that cault my intrest. They can be found here, and here. So I thought I would ask what audio formats yall found works for and why. For me, MP3 works because of the fact I can play it on just about any media player out there. I haven't played with OGG or WMA enough to tell you rather or not they sound or are better. Hope I did my links correctly.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-10-28 03:21:38

I agree MP3 is the best for compatibility. Wav should have the potential for the same quality, but since it hasn't any compression it's pretty impractical for most purposes.

I find MP3 tends to be as good as WMA, perhaps better, but WMA is proprietary and so loses out on that front anyhow. As to ogg, heard good things but there isn't enough general support for it to be really practical. Unless perhaps you're running Linux etc.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-10-28 04:54:06

The newest WMA encoders produce better-sounding audio than those of a few years ago, but I'm afraid the format really doesn't appeal to me - terrible echoey memories still haunt me to this day.  All of my music is in MP3; even though it is propriatary it's most supported across the board. I'm surprised more media players haven't at least tacked on something like Vorbis as it is completely free to implement.  I think I read somewhere (wikipedia probably) that MP3 wouldn't be as successfull today if Thompson Multimedia or fraunhaufer or whoever owns the rights to the algorithm didn't let unauthorized use slide as much as they have (LAME and other free encoders continue unabated).

I'm not into the next generation of audio or video to tell the truth. Aside from worries about using MP3s in other multimedia projects because of audio artifacts which result from transcoding etc, I'm pretty content with them above 192 for listening. Blue-ray, SACD and dvd-audio as formats don't really capture my fancy as I don't have the necessary home theater equipment to realize their full advantage over CDs and DVDs.

James

2008-10-28 05:03:21

I believe that above 192 it's nearly impossible to tell the difference, thus the only advantages would be in terms of compression. As to things like Blue Ray, well that is just capacity instead.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-10-28 13:11:42

Wich would explain why SACD haven't really took off. Add to that fact that Copy protection is on SACDS and audioDVDS. Wma and ACC also include DRM if I'm not mistakened. Isn't Vorbis suppose to have better sound then MP3 at the same bit rate?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-10-29 04:00:29

DRM on supported formats is of course optional, you can have WMA without DRM if you rip it yourself. If you download it, legally or otherwise, you are of course limited to what the download comes in and don't really get to choose the initial format.

cx2
-----

2008-10-29 13:21:52

That is a reason why I prefer to go buy my music on CD.

DropBox Referral

2008-10-30 04:50:10

Depends where you buy it from. A company called HMV here in the UK has started selling music on MP3 without any DRM, but naturally they don't sell everything so some stuff you still have to buy on CD.

cx2
-----