2018-07-12 01:09:48

In my opinion no, BGT isn't worth it. For the reasons people have discussed here already, plus the fact that if you want to make anything involving rotation, you've gotta recode so much of what's provided that BGT doesn't save huge amounts of time. There are classes out there for that now, but I've never really understood how the math behind the one I looked at managed to work, so made my own. Then I realized I'd have to either make an online game or somehow make an unrotatable AI work in a game with rotation, and gave up because I'm not gonna pretend to be smart enough to try and make my own, and at the time I couldn't find a way to work around that. I've been taking a computer science program in university for the past while, so I might come back to game programming eventually, but unless BGT gets updated, I'm not going to be using it. And I don't think the likelihood of that is the highest.
When it comes to DRM, the only kind that really bothers me a lot is that placed on media. If I buy a movie or TV show, I refused to be forced to watch on a specific platform. Thankfully this isn't the case with music anymore, but I'd feel the same way if it was.
That being said I do have spotify, which is worse, really.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-07-12 14:33:45

Hello guys!
Reading about the lack of upgrades, incompatibilities with antivirus, and some other problems, I'm in doubt.
I would like to make games, but I would like an easy language to be programmed.
I know programming is difficult, but I find the bgt documentation very good.
So what do you guys think? Is bgt still worth learning and used, or should I use another language?

2018-07-12 15:36:39

If you can learn BGT well enough to make games, you can apply the same lessons to other languages. The difference isn't concepts, so much as the things BGT gives you for free (so mostly just sound and .exe compilation), vs the limitations and bugs, and everything else in this thread.
BGT's biggest weakness, though, is how cumbersome it is to use external libraries. I mean, I had to rewrite geometry from scratch, whereas Python and Javascript and C++ get access to Box2d, Bullet, Panda3d, OpenAL, and let's not forget graphics. (Why there's such a huge tradeoff between those things and BGT's two advantages, I do not know.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-07-12 16:06:07

Yes, but I would like to use bgt to create games, not that it was just a programming tool for learning, and then discard it.
So, should I study other languages and leave bgt?

2018-07-12 17:13:50

I have two answers, yes and no.

The reason why I say yes, is because if you can make epic and actually fun games with BGT, I advise you use it.  However it seems like all these games like scrollingbattles is just ruining BGT I think..  The short answer is, yes if you can make epic games and know if you cannot.

2018-07-22 01:01:43 (edited by Orko 2018-07-22 01:05:17)

This is really beginning to get irritating to the point that I might just decide that if a game is written in BGT, I will not download or play it because it is just not worth the hassle.

My weekly system backup failed today because Backup & Restore couldn't copy a file from the shadow copy service because Security Essentials had flagged it as infected and was blocking access to it. It was no surprise that it was an audio game that is more than likely written in BGT. To be able to complete my backup, I did the only thing I could do, I deleted it with shift+delete, no going to the recycle bin. After doing that, the backup completed with no errors.

What I need now is a way to determine if a game is written in BGT so I can go through my collection and get rid of them now, so they won't be a problem later.