2018-07-19 03:04:55

If that the case, then either the report I read was wrong or Microsoft has changed how Windows update works in Windows 10.

In Windows 7 I have the ability to install or not install each update, including those that are labeled as critical updates. This was very helpful when one update broke the behavior of internet shortcuts or favorites. In Windows 7 I could back out the update, then refuse to install it until a solution was available to restore the broken behavior. I was under the impression that this would not have been possible under Windows 10 Home, that you are given no choice regarding what they consider to be critical updates, they are all automatically accepted regardless of whether you want them or not. The updates you are still allowed to choose whether to install or not are the recommended and optional ones.

Also for me, since I never took Microsoft up on their free upgrade offer because I didn't want to loose my Windows 7 key, upgrading to Windows 10 now wouldn't be free.

As far as accessibility goes, I recall that for the first year after Windows 10 was released, even Microsoft was telling screen reader users to continue to use Internet explorer because Edge was still mostly inaccessible.

Of the Windows apps, the two I recall being a problem were Windows Mail and their Calendar.

2018-07-19 03:13:17

@Orko while I agree with Tjt on windows 10 here, indeed I like it rather more than 7, and while I do find chrome usable, I would be interested if there is a way to make the bookmark system in chrome more cut and paste friendly.

It is possibly to quickly deal with bookmarks by using the applications key and selecting "edit", which totally cuts out the crappiness of the bookmark manager, but this is not as convenient as moving favourites was in Ie, albeit I'm willing to take the extra miliseconds to move bookmarks over the issues of websites not functioning on Ie.

I also suspect Nvda's intigration with the bookmark manager may improve in the future, but we'll see how that goes.

Well I finished Buffy the vampire slayer season 5. Unfortunately it ends with the apparent death of Buffy which was a little anticlimactic given that there are another two seasons to go and the series didn't change its name to Susan the vampire slayer, so its pretty certain she's coming back big_smile.

I was also rather disappointed with Buffy's sister Dawn, indeed its a bit frustrating in a series with such complex characters that Dawn actually turns out to be pretty standard bratty annoying teenager, who transforms into pretty standard kidnapped damsel (with a really piercing screem),
When everyone was looking for her for supernatural reasons, I assumed she'd get to be awesome on her own, but no.

On the other hand, the badguy for this series was amazingly nasty, and the pacing of the episodes worked really well, indeed its rather disheartening that a couple of articles I've seen online about Buffy focus on the fact that "she's a woman!" and bemoan the fact that people don't like films like the new starwars or ghostbusters because people don't like female leeds, and how everyone is now so horribly misoginist, without recognizing that Buffy is mmmmm, staggeringly well written, while the new starwars and ghost busters are not big_smile.

I'll probably be going on to Angel season 3 straight away, indeed, I actually enjoyed Angel season 2 rather more than Buffy season 4, so we'll see how that goes.

I am also  working  away at my book reviews, in particular I want to put one together for Kat Howard's roses and rot which I read recently, an amazingly nice take on Fae and art, indeed speaking of Fae, my lady and I have got back to Seanon Mcguire's October Daye series, which is probably the best urban fantasy I've read, but as I've already done reviews for the first 7 books in the series that you can find over on fantasybookreview.co.uk I won't repeat myself other than saying if people like urban fantasy with well written characters give them a go big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-07-21 08:18:58

I have been using the windows 10 since June 2017, that was the time when I got my current laptop. other then learning how the new things work, I didn't have much problem with it. one thing did gave me trouble though, that was the JAWS anything lower than 18 will simply not work.

@Dark:

Do you have any books to recommend as magic their main point? (other then Harry Potter series.)

it is because I am quite a big sucker for those kinds of books. probably why I did liked the fate/stay night visual novel, sadly I don't no enough Japanese to play it yet.

but I will learn it soon enough.

2018-07-25 13:07:53

@Dark eagle, I've been using windows ten myself since January of seventeen and haven't regretted either.
For books you can see my book reviews here

When you say "books about magic" that sort of covers a multitude of sins, for example as I said above Seanon McGuire's books tend to be really good (albeit the last one my lady and I read was very disappointing), but they are basically about the fae living in the modern world, so while they contain magic, there are no actual wizards, ---- though, there is a Sea witch who is truly awesome big_smile.

There are then Jim Butcher's harry dresden series which are sort of a mix of noire detective and magic fantasy, with a main character who is both a gritty Private I in chicago, and also a professional wizard. Those are fun, with lots of action and big explosions and such, though have their issues, they're  the sort of thing i tend to read for reasons of fluff.

Dianna Wynn Jones writes a lot of really fun stuff about wizards and magic, her stuff is these days considered Ya, but is the sort of thing that an adult can read, heck I have read more of hers as an adult than I ever did as a child, and got Mrs. Dark into them too big_smile.

Her stuff is more fun and  less explosive, though with really good characterisation and a lot of humour. I'm actually a little sorry that she was writing pre harry potter, since while she produced a couple of adult books, she said she was more comfortable writing fantasy and so mostly did stuff aimed at older kids or young adults, since she didn't see how that sort of urban fantasy would work for adults, despite the fact lots of adults have since read her work.

Of course, there is lots of epic high fantasy with characters who are mages or wizards, from Terry Pratchett's disk world, to Ursula Leguin's Earthsea, though I'm nott as sure if that's what you mean.

The last book i read (which I've just done a review for), was Roses and Rot by Kat Howard, which doesn't so much feature magic as in wizards and spells, but does! feature a lot about faerie and bargains with the fae, and was extremely! awesome, indeed it got a 9.5 from me in my review, which for me is pretty good going as I tend to be relatively stingy with high marks (for why see my other reviews).

I'm now reading The Host by Stephanie Mire, yes, the one who wrote twilight. This is a really interesting semi post apocalyptic scifi novel, about earth being invaded by aliens who are surgically implanted into human bodies. I'll admit I probably wouldn't have considerred reading anything by Mire if it weren't for a recommendation from Mrs. Dark, but actually this is proving rather good, true its got a few romancy bits around the edges, but the premise and principle character are really interesting (probably a lot more interesting than Bella Swan I imagine big_smile). 

Other than that, it's been so bloody hot hear we've not really wanted to do much, indeed yesterday, a lady from guide dogs who helps me give Reever a free run turned up earlier in the morning since there's been a heat warning about dogs and the mid day sun, indeed its been so sticky right now I'm sort of immitating the dress style of Sagat from streetfighter, ---- that is a pair of blue shorts and not much else big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-07-25 14:33:17

@Dark:

First, I would like to thank you for your incredibly detailed answer.

And as far as the weather goes, here in India, it is rainy season, so you can imagine that it is not that hot here.

2018-07-25 21:09:51

I finally got around to listening to The Last Jedi, and I have to say that George Lucas made a smart decision to sell off the franchise to Disney. Whith each new episode, the bar get set a little bit lower, and The Last Jedi is no exception. Puke!