2018-07-01 10:19:51

Hi all,
A while back I had Steam and was able to use it just fine with the NVDA screen review mode. Since then, I got a new computer and recently downloaded Steam onto it. Now, I can OCR the screen, but other than that, it is completely inaccessible with NVDA. Does anybody know of a solution to this problem, or are you also dealing with the same issues?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Stevie-3

2018-07-01 13:04:40 (edited by cj89 2018-07-01 13:05:53)

I've personally never been able to screen review, but you can generally figure out what OCR is telling you. With Windows 10 it's even better. As far as I know, there's no other way to use steam though sadly.

2018-07-01 13:27:54

The thing is, when I use OCR with Windows 10, I can't click on anything. I can read the text onscreen, but can't interact with it.

Stevie-3

2018-07-01 14:03:14

Weirdly, I've never needed to use OCR with steam with NVDA. Im not sure what's going on.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2018-07-01 14:33:07

there's a topic on this.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-02 05:49:48

hello.
I think that most things can be done through the website.
I have a question: I know you can download games to your computer over the phone. who knows how to do it?

let's rock!

2018-07-02 06:29:55 (edited by nyanchan 2018-07-02 06:30:56)

Sorry for another off-topic, but does anyone know how Steam's accessibility is on Mac? No luck? It's OK because I can do everything on Windows though, I couldn't read anything from the window with VO turned on, so just curious.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2018-07-02 07:23:36

@6, download steam games over the phone? Why do I get the feeling that that's actually not possible (because it seems really far-fetched)? I just looked though, and you really can. Ha! Wonder if its accessible... https://www.howtogeek.com/329192/how-to … our-phone.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-07-02 11:17:00 (edited by Sightless Kombat 2018-07-02 11:18:12)

@8 unfortunately, in my own tests, I could never get this working by following any online guides.  It's probably, as you might expect with Steam, an accessibility issue, but hopefully one that should be easy to resolve.

You can do it from the Steam website on PC as well, but I've never had that working either.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2018-07-02 12:27:53

Hi,
It seems you need to make sure that Steam is actually running otherwise you will not be able to do this, and even if it does work I can't seem to get it consistently, but when it works, it's accessible enough.

2018-07-02 14:28:31

I think I've only ever got it to work once and even then I have no idea how, even with Steam running.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2018-07-02 14:47:22

hello! you could use steam site. you can find game from your library using search and open a page of your game. then you should click play. then in a steam window of gamesetup press enter quick two times

2018-07-03 12:30:10

I think that you need to disable scaling in settings.

2018-07-03 14:24:18

How do we do that without being able to interact with the actual window though? lol Unless it's one of those settings in one of the config files somewhere.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-08-05 22:27:51

I'm having this problem as well. I found notes about what 13 suggested, but since the option is only available in steam obviously I can't just go and change it. As of now steam is completely unusable for me, and i'm not sure what to do. There has to be at least one of you still using it. Please help.

2018-08-06 01:34:26

The sad thing is, this shouldn't be this way, and despite numerous attempts asking Valve to consider making Steam accessible, from what I've heard, Valve simply refuses to consider it. That is why I won't even consider using Steam anymore. If Valve wants to be jerks, I won't patronize them.

2018-08-06 01:50:20

If you refuse to use everything that isn't accessible you're going to have a long list of nothing to do.

2018-08-06 03:16:22

Well since I won't be taking on the cynical attitude suggested by post 16, and I've spent a fair amount of money on games, some of which aren't available outside of steam, I'm still open to any suggestions. There's got to be one person that still uses steam here.

2018-08-06 04:01:16

1. My approach isn't cynicle, it's practical, you're the one who wants to beat his head against the wall of inaccessibility.

2. If I don't use anything that isn't accessible, I'll have a long list of things I can use without having to jump through hoops to use them, and I'll get a lot more done.

2018-08-06 04:47:19

You should be able to OCR the screen enough to go to settings and change it, unless I'm misunderstanding the problem.

2018-08-06 05:04:21

The problem is though is with windows 10 OCR at least, you can't actually interact with what it shows you, it's just for reading. At least, so far as I know.

2018-08-06 05:09:19

The problem with your approach to the Steam accessibility issue is that you are telling Valve and any other companies that are listening that it is OK if they ignore the needs of the blind and visually impaired. Is that the message you want to send? What if Apple hears you and decides to remove Voice Over, or Talkback for Android is dropped and all further development halted, or how about NV Access deciding that since we aren't demanding that companies make their products accessible, that we don't need NVDA so they go off and work on something that attracts a much larger paying audience? Is that the world you want to live in? By your attitude towards my remarks, telling me I'll have nothing I can use or that I'm cynical, it sounds like that's what you want.

2018-08-06 06:15:13

20: Yeah, as far as I know windows 10 OCR can only be used to read text. I tried just to be sure. I was able to get games to install by arrowing up and down in the main window and pressing enter, then when the install window for game x would come up, close it and repeat until I found the one I want, then press enter again to initiate installation. This is a problem for several reasons. I need to be able to change the path for my steam games as my bootcamp partition is only 128 gb in size, as is my OSX one, and the remainder of my 1tb hd is on a third partition. This works for small games, but if I want to play GTA V for example, well... that just won't do. It's also a problem because if a game is installed, it launches automatically, making it mighty irritating to scroll through them. I'd have to either memorize my list or resign myself to the 5 minute process of choosing a game to play. Anyway, this long-winded explanation is basically here to say no, as far as I know OCR isn't a valid solution, at least with NVDA.
22: I believe we have a misunderstanding. Your tone seemed to be suggesting you would rather roll over and give up when an app is inaccessible because it's a hopeless endeavor to try to convince a developer to fix their app. You're right. If there's a chance to make something accessible by collaborating with developers, we should definitely take it, but giving up doesn't solve anything. At any rate, I'm not really interested in arguing with you. If you have some constructive feedback for the topic at hand I'd love to hear it.

2018-08-06 06:45:04

@23
I'm kinda stuck on this myself, unfortunately though as far as moving stuff is concerned, that I can't help with.
What I can tell you though is a quicker way to install games, and that is to go to the store page of the game you want to install and clicking the play now link that'll be there.

2018-08-06 09:27:20

Windows 10 OCR can actually be used to click on things. For example, if you OCR the window and find settings, click on it as if you'd click on anythign else using the mouse.
@Orko: Your attitude is not helping anything. By refusing to use anything inaccessible you are pretty much refusing to use anything. Compared to the global app marketplace in the world today, I'd make a wild shot in the dark and say that less than 1 percent of that marketplace is even close to 15 percent accessible, and less than 0.3 percent is even remotely close to halfway there. If we use those shot-in-the-dark statistics, then you're limiting yourself to less than 0.3 percent of all apps out there today. What a boring life you'll have! Regardless of whether my statistics are accurate or not and whether you want to do somethign are not, some of us are far less narrow-minded and are far more open-minded and are actually! willing to try alternative solutions and/or try every possible solution we can find (including hacks) to get accessibility as best we can using the resources we have, and only then, afer we've exhausted every possible resource and idea, we then might! consider the cause hopeless. Though I doubt even then we'll give up.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github