2018-06-15 19:37:23

If you disable UAC, you won't have to change file permissions. That's one of the very first things I do with a new installation of Windows, because I hate it.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-06-15 20:17:23

right. speaking of updating I still do think its very important not least because wanna cry and spectre really drove some points home. So its nice that windows does have active hours and tries to respect those and will not bug you with updates. If you can get a hold of the group policy editor, (there is a batch file that enables it even on the most basic home versions) you can disable updates for drivers from there and this is good because sometimes sound drivers get updated and they can really screw up your sound. If you cannot find the file then copy and paste this into notepad, then save the file as, an in the type drop down combo box select all files, then add the extension  .bat at the end of the file name,  then run it as administrator (by pressing the applications key on it and selecting the option).
@echo off
pushd "%~dp0"

dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~3*.mum >List.txt
dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~3*.mum >>List.txt

for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . List.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"
pause

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-06-15 20:19:26

If I ever decide to try Windows 10, which won't be until I have no choice, I will upgrade to professional even though all I'd really need is the home edition. The reason being that from what I've heard, in professional you can still set up Windows Update to allow you to review and accept or reject updates before they are installed, rather than have them forced on you as is done in the home edition. This is my computer and it is my right to choose what gets installed on it and what does not. Microsoft has a lot of nerve taking that right away from its customers. I'm surprised that nobody has taken them to court over it yet.

2018-06-15 20:27:04

Yeah I wouldn't recommend turning off UAc unless you enjoy the thought of programs elevating themselves to admin privileges without your knowledge, and running whatever they want to, including installing spyware, malware and viruses as well as rootkits and whatever else a malicious program will do.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-15 20:45:15

The only real annoyance I have now is with the mail app. The navigation button used to stay expanded. Now it starts out collapsed so I have to press it to get to the favorite folders list, and once I move away from the button it collapses itself again.

2018-06-15 23:48:47

When I first heard about the UAC and how much of a pain it could be, I thought I'd just turn the damn thing off if I ever upgraded to a version of Windows that had it. But now I wouldn't consider doing that, better safer than sorrier.

2018-06-16 00:04:39

@28
lol.. you know, a bit less ranting and a more researching can prevent some deviation from the discussion. And in that case, Apple should be taken to court for many many other reasons we will just not talk about in here, if that is the way you are going. I just typed "stop windows 10 home update" and here is a result from that, and I did not have to scroll much to be honest. You're welcome. Ah yes, the same logic for the UAC applies here, wouldn't you think.
https://askleo.com/disable-windows-upda … s-10-home/

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-06-16 00:19:13 (edited by SirBadger 2018-06-16 00:23:43)

well I turn UAC off because it's a pain in the arse and when it pops up a message asking if you want it to allow something to run, you hit alt y. nice and simple and handy for us people that can't use a mouse. pretty sure since that system's been about for about 10 years now, the programmers of nasty software are aware of that too and either bypassing the uac or putting in an automatic thing to alt Y it when it pops up isn't exactly rocket science.

oh plus I have my firewall in eset security set on learning mode or which ever one it is. I can't remember off the top of my head. that tends to stop stuff installing if it's not meant to and will come up and ask if i'm installing something that's got other crap bundled with it I may not want. including google sodding tool bar. I've blocked that so it'll never try to install again. I hate google toolbar!

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-06-16 00:44:36 (edited by turtlepower17 2018-06-16 00:47:40)

Turning UAC off is not that big of a deal as long as you follow some basic common sense procedures that you should be following anyway. If anything, if you use a standard account, which I also don't do but I admit that's somewhat of a bad practice, you shouldn't have programs elevating themselves without your knowledge. If you get infected with something, you probably just hit alt y on that prompt to make it shut up and go away in the first place, particularly when you use a screen reader, since I don't think any of them read that prompt reliably these days. Narrator may, but I haven't actually tested it. I know NVDA doesn't, and I highly doubt JAWS does either, considering that even on Windows 7 it didn't, and I got accused of cracking JAWS for bringing that up on an email list, because apparently the moderator thought that was a symptom of cracking and nothing else. It may well have been, but I did have a legit license, and really didn't appreciate being called out like that when my real name was attached to it. Also, even the most careful people could get hit with a zero day exploit, which is an unlikely event, perhaps, but let's not make a bigger deal out of disabling UAC than need be.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-06-16 01:56:11

I have UAC off, for me too it's the first thing I do because of how much it bugs you when you're first setting up a new system, but I still get the access denied permissions dialog when transferring to and from my external HD.

2018-06-16 02:30:02 (edited by Orko 2018-06-16 02:38:15)

JAWS does read the UAC warnings, but you have to wait a short while before it starts reading, about 15 to 20 seconds or so.

@UltraLeetJ

Yes, you are absolutely correct, Mr. Perfect, or do you prefer Mr. Always Right?

2018-06-16 03:42:34

When I was using Windows 7, I prefer to turn UAC off. But back when I using 10, I didn't have to turn the thing off.

2018-06-16 04:13:19

I've read that access denied when copying from folders has to do with some sort of folder ownership issue. It's never happened to me though.

2018-06-16 06:33:26

Seriously? 15 to 20 seconds? That's unacceptable. I rest my case.

2018-06-16 08:03:16

@36, if you have to wait that long then your computer is one of those slow ones from the 2009-2011s. NVDA takes about a second to switch to the secure desktop, and on my school computer back in high school, a MAC, it JAWS took about two.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-16 09:34:22

I never had any problems with the UAC being lag with screen reader. I used it with NVDA and when the UAC pops up, NVDA comes up and reads the prompt immediately

2018-06-16 10:28:53

@32 yeah bredda +1

About scripts being able to alt Y that, probably not since its a sandboxed environment ,but who knows, its not as if I have tested this.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-16 10:41:52 (edited by flackers 2018-06-16 11:19:29)

I find the permissions settings confusing as fuck. They make clicking the continue button every time seem not so bad. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but I don't want to just randomly start making alterations I don't properly understand. Edit... Turned out to be quite easy once I got the right page of the dialog. One other thing I'm noticing is that the screen reader focus is getting stuck a lot when on the start taskbar and tray area. After you exit something and try to tab, nothing happens, and you have to hit windows m or d to get focus back. Also there doesn't appear to be first letter navigation in the start menu where documents music etc appear. And I don't like the fact when I open a folder like music from the start menu, jaws doesn't say anything when it opens. In win 7 it speaks as soon as focus switches to the newly opened folder. I don't know how much of this is because it's an upgrade not a clean install, or how much is jaws and win 10, but it's just slightly less smooth than win 7. Win 7 is quicker to get going after boot, and seems just a bit smoother all round. At the moment 10 feels a tiny bit less responsive. I'm not connected to the net so I don't know if 10 is wondering why none of it's data gathering has an outlet lol.

2018-06-16 11:37:04

Yeah things will take longer if you're not connected, also, I don't know if Jaws ever properly created windows 10 support or not. I know they were far behind, so I don't know if that is still the case or if they are on par now with supporting it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-16 12:00:03 (edited by flackers 2018-06-16 12:01:59)

At least I know now when I switch my main PC, it's not going to be painful. Win 10's narrator sounds great, and I'm sure there'll be other perks that make me not miss Win 7. At the moment, apart from the fact I can use the Zoom as an ASIO interface, it's just a slightly different environment. But it was well worth it just for the zoom thing. I'll have to seriously get to grips with Reaper as the CakeTalking scripts for sonar aren't compatible with 10. By the way, I've come round to the fact audacity can be a right pain in the arse compared to Reaper when doing certain tyeps of editing.

2018-06-16 13:25:55

Yeah, Reaper is good, and Osara is something you will need, but it was made equally to work with any screen reader that can work with MSAA, so it will work with Jaws.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-16 19:47:04 (edited by Chris 2018-06-16 19:50:56)

Can I perform a clean install of Windows 10 onto a Windows 7 computer and activate it with the OEM Windows 7 key? I'm thinking about doing this once Windows 7 reaches end of life or sooner. I despise Windows 7 and think 10 is much more streamlined. The constant improvements to Narrator are also extremely awesome.

Windows 10 isn't perfect either. I still want the simple user interface and program compatibility from Windows XP. However, it's much better than Windows 7 and is okay after I install several tweaks like Classic Shell.

I've never been particularly bothered by the permissions thing. I never use NTFS on external drives because I work with both macOS and Windows. The only annoyance is the dialog when copying to protected locations like Program Files(X86). I don't frequently copy data to that folder so it's a minor nuisance.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-06-16 23:00:33

The current version of JAWS has pretty decent Windows 10 support. I can't compare it to NVDA's support since I don't use NVDA.

2018-06-16 23:12:26

I think it should work. If not, it definitely will if you use the phone activation.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-17 05:07:19

Regarding Windows 10 and microsoft's updates. I just did some research. Apparently, MS still doesn't allow you, to make your own decisions, whether you want to download them right away or not. At least not in the onboard settings of Windows.
You can stop Windows from downloading updates automaticaly by removing access to some files. But the question is, how long it will take, until MS decides to take this workaround away.
Of course, you could stop the update service completely. But I don't want that. I know, updates are important for security reasons. But the decision is still mine, when to update.
I guess, I will have to deal with that problem some day, when I am forced to upgrade. But for now, I will stay away from Windows 10.