2018-06-03 16:24:34 (edited by francipvb 2018-06-03 16:28:10)

Hello,

I have some questions for you, some have obvious responses, some not, but here they goes:

• Did someone managed to work with the Unity, Unreal or Urho3D editor?

• Is there any other gallery apart of the Unity assets gallery?

• Does someone knows Urhosharp? What do you think about it?

• If I want to make my own editor for a framework, is there a good interface for 3D worlds to implement?

Cheers,

2018-06-03 23:27:01

1. I've managed to have success with both Unity and Unreal, though not much. Unreal is probably the furthest I've gotten, since the only thing you need the editor for is importing assets, which is doable with OcR.
2. For unity? Not that I know of.
3. I've never heard of Urho Sharp. I'll check it out.
4. I'm not really sure what your trying to ask. If you want to make an editor for a particular framework and you want the editor to have 3D support then the framework must also support 3D. Most frameworks do these days though. You'd need to check the documentation for the framework you want to write an editor for to determine its interface for 3D.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-05 02:26:21

Ethin wrote:

2. For unity? Not that I know of.

No, just an assets gallery where to download assets outside the editor.

Ethin wrote:

4. I'm not really sure what your trying to ask. If you want to make an editor for a particular framework and you want the editor to have 3D support then the framework must also support 3D. Most frameworks do these days though. You'd need to check the documentation for the framework you want to write an editor for to determine its interface for 3D.

HMM ... I just wonder if exists some ideal user interface for a 3D editor (the engine is irrelevant) to implement by myself. smile

Cheers,

2018-06-05 02:30:57 (edited by Ethin 2018-06-05 02:31:32)

@3, I know what you meant about the asset gallery. I've never heard of a 3rd party asset gallery, and if there is one its probably not authorized by Unity. And I can't answer your question. Its engine-specific, and writing an editor requires a lot of knowledge of engine internals, I'd think. I'm honestly curious why you'd ever want to write your own interface though when most game engines already provide them.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-07 21:39:44

Ethin wrote:

I'm honestly curious why you'd ever want to write your own interface though when most game engines already provide them.

Because I didnn't found an accessible editor.

Cheers,

2018-06-08 06:14:25

@5, like I said, I can't help you. You've left out a lot of information that prevents me from answering your questions, thereby asking generic questions that are nearly impossible to answer. If your editor is for an engine like UE4 or Godot, and you've acquired the source code, and are able to integrate hat editor into the rest of the Godot/UE4 editors without causing major issues with the codebase, then you can do that. If the editor is for Unity, then the answer is no, you can't. That's the simple answer. But considering how tyrannical Unity is, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a clause in the license agreement that says you can't do that. You could write an asset, but I really wouldn't if your the only one using it.

My Github