2020-05-15 10:53:20

Episode 5 wasn't awful or anything, it just was...weird, and a little flaily. I feel like they're trying to build something in episode 5, and either I'll come to believe they did it right and its randomness was good, or I'll come to realize that the muddiness was due to early lack of direction. Either way, I haven't listened to an episode yet that I actively dislike. My favourite is either #4 or #6 now, but #2 is still good.

My pattern theory is bearing more fruit.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-05-15 12:22:39

They did address episode 5 in one of the latest Q&A's. But a lot of the weirdness that's going on early in the show is kind of a mix of them trying to find the tone/their footing and throwing out bits and pieces to hook the plot into later. A lot was planned out from the beginning, but other things definitely came later/got clarified a bit more.

I think episode 2 actually managed to win second or third place when the subreddit voted for the best episodes amongst the first 100 about two years ago. The statement giver in that one is a bit of a fan favourite.

Also I'd like to know more about this pattern theory of yours.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2020-05-15 14:43:28

I've been meaning to get into this for a long time. I found a playlist called Magnus Archives Complete Collection with 137 videos. Is this the entire series thus far?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdiUHYa … ixG_A5gBKJ

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-05-15 14:45:10

There's about 30 episodes after that, but yes, that looks like it's the whole show up until episode 137 at least.

2020-05-15 22:35:32

Ooh, a playlist. That's even better.

Okay
potential
spoilers
beyond

For those of you who know the series, this won't matter, and I might even be wrong. Also note that I'm staying way the hell away from the wiki or other spoilers, so while I don't mind vague ideas or hints or whatnot, I absolutely don't want any spoiler bombs dropped.

Anyway, here's my theory.

Every episode so far has to do with some sort of fear, and every episode has to do with something weird related to that fear. First is fear of being snatched, or perhaps of something beyond your comprehension. Then fear of being compelled, also fear of dead things and the unknown. Fear of compulsion again, plus the weird hypnotic table. Fear of vertigo, wide-open spaces, our relative smallness in the world, and possibly of lightning? Then fear of flesh, perhaps religious fear. Then fear of corruption, pestilence, microscopic living things. Then of slaughter, mindless violence. Attached to every one is at least some sort of otherworldly activity. My bet is, there are multiple entities in play here, and each is somehow associated with a fear or group of fears.
That's all I've got right now, but bear in mind, I'm something of a horror buff, and I look for patterns.

2020-05-16 03:33:51

@Jayde: That's a fascinating theory. And don't worry, I'll try my best not to spoiler anyone. The wiki can be great once you're caught up though if you just want to check where you've heard of Gerard Keay before. But definitely full of spoilers as well.

2020-05-16 03:35:47

Little hints and clues and warnings and whatever, I'm fine with. I don't need to exist in a complete vacuum, or I'd never have posted here or read any part of the thread. I just wouldn't want any big reveals dropped on me, especially without any warning.

2020-05-16 05:29:28

That makes sense, yeah. As has been said before in the thread, all the statements are connected, though the first concrete connection doesn't really show up until episode 12.

Also, episode 1 is a lot creepier once you get more context for it, so look forward to that big_smile

2020-05-28 15:42:35

So I've definitely been devouring this series and just finished episode 80, which is the end of season 2. Shit just got real in a pretty big way.

Most of my theories that I started with earlier were either right or at least partially right. Beyond
will
be
spoilers

Favourite entities are The Buried, The Spiral and The Stranger. Not a huge fan of Slaughter, honestly, and Flesh gets kind of old.
Some of my favourite episodes, in no particular order:
- an episode with a coffin that sings when it rains, I've mentioned this before
- an episode with a book that summons ozone and vertigo (also mentioned before, I believe)
- an episode where a man gets trapped in a box for days
- an episode that takes place in a deep cave, and has a really creepy voice clip near the end
- an episode on a subway train
- an episode that takes place on a space station
- an episode in a nursing home with John Amhurst
- an episode with a book that predicts death
- an episode involving a shipwreck
- an episode involving taxidermy (hello, Mr. Angler Fish, sir, please don't eat me)

Really, the only episodes I straight-up dislike so far are the one about wartime and the two involving Trevor Herbert. I'm just...I'm sorry, vampires suck.

2020-05-28 16:21:04

So you have listened to 80 episodes in 13 days? That's quite impressive. smile Oh yes, I remember the one with the voice clip at the end. It felt even creepier because when this episode came up, they didn't do much with sound effects and sound ambience.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2020-05-28 18:10:27

@Jayde:

Spoilers
Up until
Episode 80
Did you look up the names for the Entities or are you just really good at guessing? big_smile

Personally my favourites are probably Stranger, Spiral and Eye. Episode 47, A New Door, when we meet Michael for the first time has always been a favourite of mine, not to mention the writing in episode 74, Fatigue.

And yes, shit definitely got real. That's one thing I like about the finales. Everything just gets worse.

Flesh is a weird fear, but you'll learn more about that one later on.

I personally didn't care much for the Buried for a very long time, but there's an episode or two in the fourth season that changed my view quite a lot. Maybe it's because I've always kind of liked small spaces, though being trapped without nough room to breathe definitely does not sound like a good time.

Have you given episode 35, Old Passages, a relisten yet? I like that one for the subtle lore dump.

Also, do you have a favourite/least favourite character? Anyone you're looking forward to learning more about?

2020-05-29 17:20:57

slight
spoilery
spoilers

I looked up the entities, but only read the general wiki page. I didn't read each individual page, so I spoiled myself only a very little bit. I had been suspecting entities based on fears since around episode 7-8, so this just proved that I was right. Heh.

Old Passages just confirmed what I already knew, honestly.
Fatigue's writing is creepy as hell. I've never had insomnia to quite that degree but I've been up for longer than sixty hours at a stretch a couple of times, and shit does get weird at that point. Poor woman.

The Distortion is profoundly creepy. They did lovely sound work on its voice.

The reason I say The Buried is one of my favourites is because while some of the situations are kind of hit and miss for me, some of them are spot on. I like small spaces, actually, if I can get in and out of them. But put me in a tight place that I know I can't get out of, and I have trouble with that. Also, really really deep water when I'm under it? Like being in a submarine? Ugh...that would be tough on me.

Least favourite character so far is probably Basira. Not a huge fan of her voice actor, sadly, and her attitude just bugs me. Maybe I'll come to like her later on. I'm also not at all a fan of Elias, and I don't trust him. Not big on Trevor Herbert either, but that may be because of his whole vampire-hunting thing.
I want to learn more about Martin and John and Gertrude. Also, Gerard and Mary Keay. and Michael Crew.

2020-05-29 21:31:18

Slight
spoilery
spoilers
Ah, that makes sense. Even in your first post you managed to use a lot of words that are used for their names, which I found kind of interesting. Not sure if you had looked them up at that point or if you were just lucky big_smile Though I guess slaughter, flesh and corruption aren't particularly unusual words.

I remember having a lot of fun trying to piece together the different fears around halfway through season 2. Old Passages was pretty helpful in that regard since we get to hear about a lot of them through their respective hallways.
The Distortion has an absolutely fantastic voice actor, and that laugh. I love it.
I Elias is a slimy bastard, but I really like his character. Depending on where you are in the podcast by now, you'll know a bit more about him.
And you'll definitely learn more about the rest of them as well. Many characters from the early episodes will be mentioned later on, like the Anglerfish victim Sarah Baldwin showing up in episode 28 or Michael Crew showing up like four times in the first two seasons. That guy always fascinated me, probably because Ex Altiora was the spooky Vast book that got me hooked, even if he was only briefly mentioned in that fourth episode.
Also fun fact, if you didn't listen to the credits, but Leitner and Gertrude are voiced by Jonny's parents which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Another fun fact. There was a contest on the Magnus subreddit where people voted for the best episodes amongst the first 100. First place was 81, A Guest for Mr Spider, second place was episode 2, Do Not Open, and third place was episode 85, Upon the Stair.81 was extremely creepy to me based on the descriptions in it, and has inspired a whole lot of fan art, though most episodes have by this point.

Do you have any predictions for the future plot/character arcs?

2020-05-29 22:15:45

No. At that point, I had not looked anything up. Believe it or not, I was just describing stuff as I saw it.

I don't have any strong predictions right now, but a few thoughts.

slight
potential
spoilers
1. I think John's going to have to go on the run
2. I think we're going to actually see a ritual, or an attempted one, especially considering we heard about The Unknowing, whatever the hell that is
3. Melanie King is going to come back at some point; you don't develop a character that much without a payout someplace
4. Martin is probably going to die, and it's probably going to wreck someone hard if he does
5. that fucking coffin...it's gonna show up again and someone is going to get buried in it

2020-05-29 22:47:16

Slight
Potential
spoilers
Ahead
All good theories/thoughts. And yeah, after the end of S2, the first one seems pretty likely.

That coffin is a weird one. When we learnt it had a staircase inside I was extremely confused. Notbecause it makes no physical sense, which, well, it doesn't, obviously, but more because I had a hard time figuring out which entity it belonged to. Coffin suggest The End, but it's also made of yellow wood and is warm to the touch like the doors of The Distortion.

That's one thing I really enjoy about the show. You get a lot of tiny pieces that you can then start to put together over time when you get the blanks filled in better. Although the balance between horror and mystery is a difficult one, and some of the horror definitely goes away later in the show when you know more of what's happening. At least the sort of horror that makes you wonder what's happening and how things work/fit together. I guess it's still full of potential horror from you knowing some of the answers though. You hear a story about a weird book that reeks of ozone and gives you vertigo and a man with a lightning scar throwing himself off a tower. Well, that's odd. YOu learn a bit more and suddenly he shows up years later, watching someone from across the street. And then things just go down hill, or should I say ladder, from there, and you know good old mister Crew probably caused it, but you don't know why. You just know that him showing up is probably going to be bad for someone's general health. I like that evolution, even if the way the stories unsettle me has changed.

2020-06-06 02:01:10

may any one kindly get me a link to the complete downloadable collection of rusteys podcast. trying to use luna RSS is broken for it does not want to download the archive. it just does not seem to do anything when clicking on download

There's a place for me in this universe.

2020-06-06 02:35:51

I know a lot of the episodes by this point are on their YouTube channel, in playlists arranged by season. Perhaps you could download those?

2020-06-06 02:38:04

Hi Alex, I can sure give it a try. Let me see if that will work

There's a place for me in this universe.

2020-06-06 04:11:49

I've been watching via YouTube without any problems whatsoever. No ads, no difficulty, and I even get to have fun reading comments afterword.