2018-10-30 01:00:07

Solo Indie Dev's the world over have been known to produce high quality gems, defying established conventions, such as Cave Story, Stardew Valley, Spelunky, Undertale, etc. The dev cycle usually takes years, but its the basis of the indie renaissance that emerged with Minecraft and its ilk. Part of that is a more open and collaborative mentality in some communities, another is a wealth of easy to use tools and resources, along with an abundance of existing examples, conventions, and source code.

These sorts of things CAE_Jones has already touched on, such as the resource gap and deficit of easy to use tools and engines, a lack of design conventions and examples to draw from, etc. I think the programming skill level of this community has been improving lately though, with an increase in the number of people moving towards Python and other languages, a bit more nudging on the tool and usability front and we may start seeing an increase in momentum. It would also be nice to help get the community more engaged in participating in game jams, not just here but in other communities like itch.io and gamejolt.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-10-30 01:00:58

This is just a crazy idea that struck me, but it might be totally wrong. Ready for streams of unstable thoughts
What if it has something to do with the difference between what people want, and what people, really, want.
I find sometimes that us humans have a tendency to just spout out the first thing that comes to us, so when a dev needs an idea, he will probably think of either an FPS or a sidescroller, because they know there will be some people that will eat it raw.
Instead, maybe the dev should think about it more in the lines of, what do I want to make, what will make me feel pascion and love for this projekt. If you look at BK3, AHC and SW, they just feel like you are getting to watch the devs newborn baby, while so many others just feel like a new set of fancy shoes, prescious maybe, but also soulless
I also think that audiogamers in generel should think more about what they really want. Is it really yet another really buggy FPS, and not a totally new and cool idea, that someone, must have the fantasy to come up with.
I for example, really want a tradable card game. I know we have CP, but I wish for something more like magic or hearthstone. Those types of games have given me a lot of great memories. I have I think just over a thousand magic cards, which my mother and I have spend hours upon hours of brailling cardsleeves for, and I have played quite a bit of Hearthstone with my father.
I wish we had one of those,  oops... sidetracked.
So do you guys see my point, I myself have some problems with that since... you know... I am blind and all that... I really need to stop making bad jokes...
We must learn from yesterday before we can change tomorrow right?

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2018-10-30 05:45:11 (edited by JLove 2018-10-30 05:48:46)

@101,
I have a question for you.  Wouldn't the resource gap apply to Yukio as well?  Wouldn't the, "lack of easy-to-use tools" apply to him ass well?  I would think that those concepts would apply even more to solo devs who don't have the finances to buy tools, libraries, etc.  Especially if that developer is a child.  That to me makes it even more difficult.  So what makes him able to do it, and we can't?  I'm sure he suffered from a lot of the major argument points in this thread...not a lot of money, no easy-to-use tools, no team to help him...add to that the fact that he was a child, and still in school...And yet he came out with two of the best games this community has ever seen.
My second question is this.  If most of the arguments in this thread that point to lack of money, resources, and a team are really valid and are truly the issue, then why don't the top devs who can really code in this community work together, pool their resources, and make something really awesome?  All of the really good coders team up together.  I believe four or five were cited as being the top pleasing ones.  So if they all collaborated on something together, wouldn't that help the so-called resource/teamwork issue?  Why is that never done?

2018-10-30 08:51:47 (edited by magurp244 2018-10-30 09:48:24)

@103,
That depends. The truth, is that you don't need money, or paid libraries, or tools to make a game, all you need is a code book and time. Thats it. It sounds easy right? But projects can last for years, and staying interested and excited over a project for that long can be difficult. Maybe people get frustrated, depressed, bored, busy, or get interested in something else? Many of those solo projects like Stardew Valley and Cave Story succeeded because of the mentality and dedication of the developers themselves, and this is likely how Yukio managed to pull it off as well. When I talk about tools, and I'm referring to free tools not paid ones, it isn't so much that their essential, so much as it helps break down those barriers to entry and the time it takes to maintain that level of dedication. Would you rather spend the next 5 years sloshing through complex algorithms hacking together assets? Or the next 5 months over simple scripts and generated assets? One of those feels a lot more attainable than the other, and thus more likely to follow through on. There's more to it of course, like making steady progress and not stalling out, good design, feature creep, etc. But such are the various pitfalls.

As to your second question, there are a number of reasons why developers may not be comfortable working with others. It sounds good in theory, but it can really depend on a number of things. Ultimately I think that may be a question to better ask the developers you have in mind.

2018-10-30 17:12:49

what i honestly think is this. i think a lot of it is a western problem. we are too focused on money, returns and making a name for ourselves. rather than focusing on how well something can be produced. the patients required to do it. people just don't want to put the time in to anything these days. whether it be watching a movie, how many people complained that LOTR was too long a movie for example? why were doctor who stories shortened compared to what they used to be? nobody wants to spend the time to appreciate a good story. it's no real difference to that of development. how many things are just slapped together these days and put out and oops crap look at that bug. how many software products are put out with seriously glaring bugs? how many physical products are poorly designed because of lack of time taken to propperly research and develop them? there's way too much enphesis on targets and stats and not enough put on the actual work getting it done and doing it to a high standard.

2018-10-30 17:48:20

Yeah, I have to disagree 80%. The West in general is indeed too money-and-stats-obsessed, but I do not believe that has anything to do with Audio Games, other than the Brain Drain phenomenon.
Maybe something has eroded patience on a broad level, but I will testify before God himself that this is not something one can solve by personal choice, so if that is our problem, then we need a more dramatic solution than "suck it up". That does not work.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-10-30 18:14:45

well patience at the end of the day comes down to mentality. if you're someone who thrives on shortcuts for everything then that's what you're going to expect constantly. however if you're prepared for the long haul as it were then again you'll go that route and you'll see the difference between the 2 mantalities

2018-10-30 19:41:30 (edited by JLove 2018-10-30 19:43:48)

Except that #105 raises a valid point.  It seems as if patience in our society lessens with each year that passes.  TV networks wanting to shorten program times, because they claim that we are unable to watch longer shows, people complaining that a 3-4-hour movie is somehow too long.  It's even gotten into sports now.  The ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) is looking at huge, sweeping modifications to that sport, a sport that started in the 16th century and has been doing just fine since then, simply because they claim that people are unable or unwilling to watch long tennis matches.  I remember when Roger Federer played Rafael Nadal in the 2008 Wimbledon final.  I watched that entire match, a match that went for 4.5 hours in terms of actual play, but ended up taking around 6 hours due to rain delays.  And all of the Wimbledon crowd stayed as well.  The last ball was struck at around 9:30 in the evening, as the last rays of light left Wimbledon center court.  And nobody was complaining after that match.  In fact, it was said to be one of the best matches in Wimbledon history.  Yet a decade later, we're too impatient to watch a match of that caliber.  Really? What has happened in the last ten years to make us so impatient?
All that to say that I do think there is some truth to what Darin says, that we seem to be less and less patient, more and more "flighty," as time goes by.  Nothing holds our interest for long.  And I'm not sure what would have caused that.  And that would absolutely affect development of audiogames, if we can't maintain interest or focus for a project.

2018-10-30 20:57:55

In the last 10 years? Twitter. Youtube.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-10-30 22:47:01

at 109 your post makes no sense? what about twitter and youtube

2018-10-31 02:43:18 (edited by musicalman 2018-10-31 02:47:55)

I can see the argument about focus in the west being too much based on targets, money, stats, recognition and a lack of patience. I feel that western culture can sometimes have a big emphasis on conformity and not enough on finding your true self. But then again I felt as though I was never understood as a child, so I am pretty biased. Still, I believe children aren't encouraged to come up with their own solutions to problems, instead they are asked to take exams which prove they can answer questions in a way the curriculum says is correct. We've been taught to do this since we were toddlers, so when we're older and asked to be creative, it doesn't feel natural a lot of the time. Now I'm sure other cultures suffer from a level of conformity that some people would find excessive, we can't all just be running around doing whatever we want and expecting our societies to run themselves smile. But I have to wonder how the creativity of people like Ukio works as opposed to that of other developers. Of course, most things on this subject are going to be shrouded in speculation and personal bias, but I do get the culture argument. But as CaeJones says, I don't think culture is really all of it, and I can see what he's trying to say I think. He'll of course have to tell me if I am correct. Let me use an example that isn't related to audio games but that does involve an art, and game development is an art after all.

I used to think I could be a full time composer. When I started taking my composition dreams seriously and felt I was good enough to begin experimenting, I was in very high spirits. I wrote things that satisfied me. I spent hours, sometimes days on one song, because I wanted to get it right. But because of my slow speed and my need for perfection, I had a hard time getting things done quickly. A lot of that was because I was still learning how to do the things I wanted, and experimenting with different sounds, styles etc.

As I practiced more, I should've become more efficient, right? Well not quite. I always seeked to outdo myself because at the time I believed outdoing myself would be the natural thing to do and I would find it a very subconscious part of the process. So with me at least, the more I wrote, the more I wanted to experiment with new found ideas and inspirations. But at some point I got to a point where I would start writing something and couldn't really specify what I was going for, without citing a hundred different ideas. And I started caring about the final outcome more, and seeking greater perfection. So it sort of backfired: the more ideas I had and the more I practiced, the faster I could find some inspiration but the longer it would take me to actually settle on something I could feel personally invested in. Spending 45 minutes having a million ideas but no vision on what I wanted to create isn't very encouraging. I haven't yet found a remedy for these blocks. So I've come to the conclusion that I feel better imitating and transcribing. As CaeJones said, I don't feel this is a personal choice I make to leave my composition ideas unfinished. If I could think of ideas to bring them to good closure, I would be implementing them. But I haven't yet. The only way I've found to actually get things done is to lower my standards, and it pains me to do that because I have seen glimpses of what could've been if I could get it right.

another thing to consider: when I started writing music I wanted to believe that I could write in every style equally well. I didn't want to have a specific sound that was instantly recognizable as my sound. I'm not completely sure why. Maybe it was because all of my friends were so instantly recognizable by their styles and I wanted to separate myself from that stigma. Maybe it was because I wanted to show off how good I was at everything lol. Or maybe it came from my desire to explore all the avenues that interested me. I am a fan of a large variety of musical styles, so I like to think that last one is it. But now I have begun to realize that when I do write, I sound like a lot of the artists I like, and my friends have come to notice. Now every time they hear something new I made, they seem to recognize it as something I would have done. I'm trying to decide if I want to take this as a good thing, a bad thing, or just be indifferent to it. It's honestly hard for me to decide how I feel about it and I still don't know why.

So going back to audio game development. Some people are good creators, others are good imitators. Some people can make a well-made side-scroller, but not a very original one. Some can design a game that looks good on paper but can't code the thing and are afraid to leave the coding to someone else who may create a game that isn't to their liking. It is rare to find one person who can truly create something original that is so appealing that it makes a permanent mark in the entire history of something.

It's not easy to truly master different styles of music or different instruments. similarly, it's not easy writing a story and plot line that fits the game design, mechanics, sounds, music etc. all on your own. And it's not a chain of one fitting into another; they all have to fit together cohesively. Depending on the game, if you are more adept at one than the other, it can make itself painfully evident. So maybe that explains why many games made today focus more on one aspect than another. Devs are doing what they can within their personal reserves of creativity to make well-rounded products, but in the end they're only capable of so much. After all, if designing an epic game like BK3  was some sort of common milestone, then everyone who had some good ideas on paper would've made massive games like BK3 by now. But they haven't. Some have tried though, And many who have tried and actually produced a game have been at least a little successful. Some have been very successful. But not everyone can do it, and even among those who can do it, there's still room for a lot of improvements.

I'd love to see what would happen if audio game devs got together and focused their strengths, and made a truly epic game akin to the giants of the mainstream world. And yeah I know that Indie devs are capable of a hell of a lot, but like I said previously, one person can't do it all, and those who can are the exception, not the rule. Unfortunately, I am not any closer than anyone else to knowing exactly what is needed to make our games better. Whether my above cultural tangent has anything to do with it, I cannot say.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-10-31 13:49:46 (edited by CAE_Jones 2018-10-31 14:06:37)

At 110: think about it in context of 108.

At 111: I find it interesting that you imply that The West is more conformist than Japan. It seems like the opposite is one of the most common observations made by those familiar with both. The Japanese word for "wrong" is also the Japanese word for "different", after all. I think, rather, that The West has worse work-ethic. The US complains about this a lot, to the point that it kinda freaks everyone else out. And while in general, I think everyone else™ might have a point, it's not doing us many favors in the context of this thread's subject.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-10-31 18:10:54 (edited by musicalman 2018-10-31 18:12:57)

Well, I should've clarified my idea a bit more. The reason I said that we are more conforming is that every time someone shows me something that is a Japanese product eg. an anime, musical piece, performance etc. It just seems over the top for me. I'm interested in it, but it sounds completely different, and in many cases more in depth, more busy/complex, than what I've heard from a lot of, but obviously not all of, the western world. Some of that could be because it's just a different culture so yeah it's going to be unfamiliar. But I always assumed that this over-the-top-ness which I've heard a couple of my friends talk about comes from the drive to push the bar higher and not do what everyone else is doing.

With that said, I don't want to pretend I know what I'm talking about. I am only relying on hearsay from my friends and the few things I have heard and looked up. I didn't want to say that in my last post for fear of not being taken seriously but there you go.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-10-31 21:22:48 (edited by JLove 2018-10-31 21:34:12)

@CAE, what about Twitter and YouTube would make us impatient?  I assume that you are citing social media as the cause, but how does social media make me less patient?  I've got both a Facebook and Twitter account, as well as a youtube one, but I still enjoy sitting down to a 4 or 5-hour tennis match of high quality.  I still read long books and watch long movies.  So I'm not sure what social media has to do with anything.
@Musicalman, I see what you're trying to say.  That is why I asked above, and why I reiterate my question now.  Why don't the top game devs in our community get together and create something?  I got no real answer other than what amounted to, "a lot of different things", which isn't really an answer at all.  I want specifics, because it seems to me that's a no-brainer.  If a group of the top devs got together, wouldn't that get rid of like 99% of the arguments in this thread?  They could combine resources.  They could combine tools.  They could each bring different strengths to the table.  They could divide the workload so that it's not all on one person.  They could help each other create something really, really pleasing.  It seems like a no-brainer to me, yet it's never done.  That makes absolutely no sense.  Surely I am not the only one that sees the advantages of working together in this community.

2018-10-31 22:27:09

@114, Oh, I see the advantages. One thing I think makes that problematic is that we may not reach a consensus on who's a "top Dev", or what idea we'd want to engineer. For instance, those who haven't really developed for this community (i.e. myself) may not be considered a "top developer" purely because I haven't developed anything particularly targeted at this community on my own. So not only would that idea be extremely problematic, it would be ultimately exclusive. Who qualifies as a 'top developer'. How would we assess someone to determine if they are a 'top developer'?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-10-31 23:58:56 (edited by JLove 2018-11-01 00:04:24)

Ok, fine, I will do it this way, even though it seems to me that my point in and of itself should be understood, and the question itself should be able to be answered, but I'll get specific and see if that gets an actual answer.  AHC has gotten positive feedback for the most part.  Swamp has also gotten mostly good feedback.  VGStorm has had some pleasing games to its credit.  SR and the BK series both got good feedback.  That right there is at least five devs.  Why can't those 5 devs get together and create something awesome?  Pool their knowledge, experience, resources, tools, and strengths.  Seems to me that if a group were to do that, it wipes out all the arguments about lack of those things that have been posted.  More resources to share when five or six are bringing them to the table, rather than just one.  More tools and libraries.  Ability to spread the workload, instead of it being on one set of shoulders.  I suspect that if five or six devs got together, they could create something great a lot easier than one person can.  Seems like a no-brainer, yet as far as I know, something like that has never been done, and that's just an anathema to me.  I can't believe no one sees the value in that.

2018-11-01 00:54:05 (edited by CAE_Jones 2018-11-01 00:55:59)

AHC was made by a team, fwiw.
If someone wants to make a studio and have a bunch of devs in one place, that might help a bucket. But then we come back to money.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-01 01:52:57

@117, I don't see why money should matter if a group of devs choose to collaborate on a project. If they want money and they want the game to be free that's greed. If the game is paid, then they'd need to distribute the money equally or as closely as possible though that might be difficult.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-01 02:54:17 (edited by JLove 2018-11-01 02:56:42)

@Ethin, I don't think he was referring to the game being free or paid, but rather it costing money to have devs in the same location.  ut there's no need at all for that nowadays, @Cae.  You don't need to have a physical place for devs to be in one place simply to work on a project.  There are a plethora of ways to share files amongst a group for collaboration projects...Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, Sendspace, GitHub, just to name a few.  Which just adds another point to my argument that it is possible.  With all of the collaboration tools out there for file sharing, devs could work together from totally different countries, so there's no limitation on location.  I still have yet to hear a reason why this doesn't occur.  I'd think that it would occur more in a small community like this.  I'd think we'd want to work together to come up with good things.  I just don't get it.

2018-11-01 07:09:08

A few people here have tried forming groups before, but for various reasons they didn't work out. Its not really up to us to decide who should work with who, other than to ask if their interested. This isn't to say that it wouldn't be nice to start stoking that sense of teamwork in the community, but if the goal here is to get subjectively better games that might not work out the way you expect.

2018-11-01 08:23:50 (edited by JLove 2018-11-01 08:28:22)

But that doesn't really answer the question.  What specifically makes it so difficult?  Why would it be so hard for several developers to work together on a project?  Wouldn't it make it easier to come out with quality games if a group could put their resources together and share the work?  Then it's not all on one person.  And it's not like there aren't enough ways to communicate...email, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, forum posts...and plenty of ways to share files, tools, libraries, code books...Dropbox, Google Drive, Sendspace, GitHub, etc.  I would think that nowadays collaboration would be even easier, given all of these things, Hell, location isn't an issue anymore at all.  Five devs could work together even if the group lived in 5 different states, or 5 different countries.  So what exactly makes it so difficult for five or six people to work together on something like this?  What tends to be the hugest factor that impedes collaboration like that?  If no one can answer the question with actual specific reasons, which is what I'm asking, then let's ask it like this...if this has ever been tried in the past, What caused it not to work out?  It just seems that with all of the avenues that are available for communication and sharing of information, this should not be that difficult.

2018-11-01 08:59:54

@116 the thing about all these devs is, to my knowledge each one of them prefers a different programming language to write their games in. Aprone uses vb, which is an aging language iirc. Galabo and Yukio both use hsp I think, and galaxy laboratory (creaters of sr) aren't just one person either. Then let's add the fact that the galabo team doesn't really speak english, so it would be hard to work together with those other devs. Back to programming, Aaron Baker from vg storm likes to code in bgt, and if my info is correct, AHC was made in some derivative of C. So that's about four different languages, and then the group would have to come to a consensus about what language to use. Then some people in the group might not know that language, so their out, or they really quickly have to learn it. So unless there was a group of tallented devs that all utalized the same programming language and spoak the same human language, it wouldn't work.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-11-01 10:53:23

at post 122 but that's a universal problem the world over yet groups of people do work together to form something greater. they find ways around things. i'm not saying that what you have said isn't the case however what i am saying is that people still find ways to work together and get round these issues.

2018-11-01 15:34:51

And yet, somehow, projects where the team works together in person have a much higher success rate over all. Aprone even mentioned this at one point, that when he was working with Hatred on a project, they got at least as much done in a weekend in the same place as they had during 3 months via Skype. No, it doesn't make sense. But, for whatever reason, humans appear to have a much, much easier time accomplishing things in meetspace[1] groups, rather than alone or via the internet.
[1] or meatspace. I decided not to check which it is back when I realized I like both too much to pick one.

I don't think the programming language preferences are as big a barrier as they might seem. Once you know a C-style language and a Basic-style language, so long as you stay away from the really crazy stuff (which, for games, you generally should), one can usually cope as needed. I personally wouldn't try anything new at this point, just because my aging computer would be a frustrating mess for setting it up, without reasonably high odds of good results. But assuming a less frustrating computer, I'd at least try C# or C++ or Python3.
But I have attempted or been involved in numerous teamups via Skype / dropbox / email / fora, and the only one I can think of that ever went anywhere is Grave of Redemption.
And, well, these all have another thing in common: they're all being done for fun. The consequences of failure are, like, a reputation hit, and over the internet, those are way less motivating than irl. Get bored, distracted, frustrated beyond the point of outweighing interest, and team-members will drop like flies. You need to get not just one person sufficiently motivated (and that's a task and a half, LMTY), but a whole team.
Ultimately, the question is "why don't people just do it the obviously more effective way"" And, as with Communism, corruption, and many, many vices, the answer is: human psychology doesn't work that way and it's amazing we've managed all that we have.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-01 22:44:27

It just saddens me, because there is talent in this community, and if that talent actually worked together, they could come up with something great.
A note on programming:  Yeah, Aaron has programmed in BGT, but if I am not mistaken, he also knows C++.  I wouldn't be surprised if most devs know, or are familiar with, more than one language.  So that might not be as much of an issue as you think.