2018-05-19 17:12:26

I am waiting for my Prime benefits to expire and for Prime shipping to become available on the PayWithChip marketplace before switching to
it.

But today, Amazon decided to force my hand. I logged onto their site to make a purchase but couldn't because a set of radio buttons that were required
to choose a one time purchase or a subscription simply refused to work through my screen reader. After fussing with it for a few minutes, trying my back
up screen reader, NVDA, I eventually gave up and placed my order through the PayWithChip marketplace with no hassles.

So, PayWithChip to the rescue!

2018-06-25 15:34:14

I'm sure this will put off a few people, but...

News from the Pay With Chip Marketplace wrote:

Hello and good morning or afternoon!
We would like to start by saying thank you for your continued support and patronage. There are many places that are working to earn your business every
day and we are proud that the Pay With Chip Marketplace has the opportunity to continue being one of those options. As we have grown over the last year
from a prototype idea to a viable tool providing quick and effortless access to millions of online products, it's time for us to move to the next stage
and execute on our broader mission of creating streamlined online experiences across a wider array of topics. In addition to our plan to cross over the
threshold of 100 stores this year, we are expanding into areas like games and entertainment, travel, and financial services. The marketplace will become
a tool that you can use to accomplish important everyday tasks beyond online shopping, quickly and easily. With this great opportunity to deliver for you
comes another change, the introduction of a subscription in order to access the marketplace starting July 15th 2018. Based on feedback from our customers,
we have designed our new subscription into two tiers. Monthly starting at $4.99 and yearly starting at $49. We will also be providing complimentary access
as part of a friends and family referral program. If you have found the marketplace software to be a valuable tool for you, we hope you will consider continuing
your membership with us and even referring it to others. A dedicated webpage has been created to explain the changes in more detail. You can use this link
to open a page in your web browser
https://www.paywithchip.com/subscriptions
. Thank you again for your time, your feedback, and your support!

All the best,

Michael Vinocur
Founder and CEO
PayWithChip Inc.

2018-06-25 17:55:17

I would have been disappointed and slightly suspicious if they didn't start a subscription model, honestly. Something like this can't pay for itself. I saw it coming for awhile, and $49 is really not an unreasonable price considering all the stores you get access to.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-06-25 18:15:21

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not objecting, far from it, I've already signed up for access with the Amazon two day delivery option, and chose the annual subscription payment option.

I just posted that so that any one who didn't get the announcement email could see it.

2018-07-18 21:12:06

Well, things aren't so rosey at the PayWithChip marketplace these days.

On July 5th, or going on two weeks ago, I went to place an order, but couldn't access Amazon through PayWithChip, so I ended up placing the order directly through Amazon's web site.

It turns out that PayWithChip was migrating to a new server and was told by Amazon that the new server was fully authorized to access their API, so PayWithChip switched over to the new server, but found out after the fact that Amazon had been wrong and that the new server wasn't authorized so there was no access to Amazon, and apparently PayWithChip burned the bridge to the original server so they couldn't roll back to it.

Almost two weeks later and there is still no access to Amazon through PayWithChip. As much as I like the service, I'm giving them until the 20th to fix it, or I'm going to cancel my subscription and ask for my money back.

I tried searching for the things I wanted at their other stores, but none of them had what I was looking for. So, no Amazon? Then PayWithChip is of little value to me.

2018-07-18 22:48:32

I'm sorry to hear that. I hadn't actually purchased a subscription, since there were more pressing financial matters I had to deal with this month, but I can't imagine a lot of people are happy about this. Amazon was probably a huge draw for the majority of subscribers, so I hope it gets fixed soon.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-19 02:40:02 (edited by Orko 2018-07-19 02:43:23)

Me too, after Amazon announced raising the price of Prime earlier this year, I let mine lapse with the intention of using PayWithChip instead.

At least the outage is a good part Amazon's fault for misleading PayWithChip about the server authorization, but PayWithChip also carries some blame for not leaving a path to the already running server in case there were problems with the new one.

PayWithChip might find themselves in a tight spot if they can't get the server issue resolved as I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that I might need to cancel my subscription while a refund is still possible.

2018-07-19 16:19:08

This is not at all encouraging.

While I wait for Amazon to become accessible again, I log on to the PayWithChip marketplace each day to test it.

Today, instead of the please try again message when I attempt to search Amazon, I now get an error message about not being able to connect to the PayWithChip servers while logging on. So now I can't even shop any of the stores in the marketplace.

It kind of looks like this PayWithChip marketplace idea isn't going to fly. I'll have to decide what to do by the 23rd, because that's when the 30 day option to cancel my subscription for a refund expires.

2018-07-19 19:53:17

Well, how do you like that for dirty pool?

Amazon up and decided that they didn't like that PayWithChip offered so many different vendors to buy from because it made price shopping too easy, so they basically told PayWithChip that if they wanted access to their marketplace that they'd have to drop all the other stores. Alternatively, PayWithChip could keep all the other stores but would be required to track shoppers and gather information on what they look at and what they buy and from which store, and provide all that information to Amazon.

Rather than do that, PayWithChip has decided to drop Amazon from their marketplace. Subscribers to the PayWithChip marketplace will have the choice of either being refunded the cost difference between subscriptions with Amazon and sibscriptions without, or they can decide to cancel the PayWithChip subscription entirely and get a full refund.

2018-07-19 22:06:39 (edited by jack 2018-07-19 22:16:36)

Well screw you, Amazon. I just gave Amazon an earful on twitter, not that they'll respond, but at least it may raise a racket if nothing else. Maybe it'll push users away from Amazon in light of what they're essentially doing.

2018-07-19 22:51:10 (edited by jack 2018-07-20 01:17:18)

On a brighter note, I really should give it to them for refusing the lousy deal Amazon gave them, deciding rather than surrendering all the user shopping data to Amazon, just to remove Amazon entirely. It's probably an unappreciated move by some but looking at the bigger picture it's a step in the right direction as it really shows that they genuinely care about privacy and keeping the data safe. They did tell me they are going to go down other avenues as well, music streaming and gaming among other things. Hey, maybe that means they could actually provide an accessible interface to...Steam?

2018-07-19 23:10:22

That would be nice, though I'd still probably not use it myself as my way of protesting Valve's refusal to make Steam accessible.

This is probably before your time, but back in the 80s the government broke up AT&T because they thought they were getting too big and powerful. I keep hoping they'll do the same thing to Amazon, if for no other reason than to put them in their place.

I heard on the news the other night that Jeff Basos, Amazon's CEO, is worth 150 billion dollars. To me that is just plain obscene. You can never convince me that any one person needs or should have, or have control over  that much money.

2018-07-19 23:14:29 (edited by jack 2018-07-21 18:05:05)

And then later Microsoft got busted for basically the same thing. That was my first thought when I thought of what Amazon is trying to do. It is indeed getting ridiculously out of hand, and that's putting it lightly. Didn't I hear somewhere that they're also trying to jump into the rideshare race as well? anything can be a rumor nowadays, but if that's actually true I wouldn't be too surprised. As for Valve, I do agree, if there is actually an alternate interface that does come out and make Steam accessible, that's still no excuse for Valve to plainly ignore the issue. Even if they are fixing it behind the scenes, if you aren't at least semi-transparent about it you've already lost me. AS luck would have it, I haven't really done much in the way of pc gaming video-anyway anyway so I'm naturally not using steam, perfect timing as Valve either wastes our time or doesn't update us one bit. Meanwhile the Xbox is rightfully shitting on all the naysayers with their solid accessibility approach not only throughout the windows10 part of the console, but the actual xbox operating system driving the games, referring to the system-level text to speech environment of course. But that's another topic altogether, but you can't compliment that effort enough.

2018-07-20 00:29:00

Well, that's BS. I agree that they did the right thing by not caving to Amazon's demands, though. That gives me more faith in their business model. I imagine it might push some customers away, considering, as I said, fully accessible Amazon shopping was a huge draw for this thing in the first place, but, to be honest, it's not like you can't just use the website. There are a few areas which are broken, namely returning items, but that wasn't something you could do via Pay With Chip anyway. I'm much more interested to see what other stores are added in its place to fill that gaping hole. I believe that they're going to figure something out. Although accessible Wal-Mart shopping was always the bigger deal to me anyway, considering there really is no alternative to that.

2018-07-20 00:42:32

I haven't heard that but have heard that they want into the pharmacy business, I honestly don't know if that's such a good thing or not. But if I had to choose, I'd think not.

I'd be willing to bet that UPS and the post office aren't happy with them since they started their own delivery service, which I don't trust because I've caught them several times outright lieing about deliveries. Not to mention the Amazon driver caught on video surveillance returning to a home he visited earlier to steal the package he left at their door. He'll be paying for that dumb ass move for the rest of his life, the package ended up having over $2,000 worth of gift cards in it, so that was a felony. Though to be honest, I think they are considering all such thefts a felony regardless of the value of the package as a deterrent.

But you have to know Amazon is too big when it's reported that they were responsible for more than 50% of the last holiday season's online sales.

The DOJ and FTC were hot to trot in regards to AT&T and Microsoft, I wonder where they are now?

2018-07-20 01:07:07 (edited by jack 2018-07-20 01:19:45)

Yeah, anyone can say what they will, but let's be real; Prime Day is ridiculous. The fact that it toppled both Black Friday  and Cyber Monday, is a red alert. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are taken advantage of by practically all stores and independent companies big and small. Prime Day is one single shopping entity, and it's drawn stupid amounts of purchases. To say it's getting on my last nerve is an understatement. I think they couldn't have been more right when they told me that Amazon's duping them is merely a bump in the road, considering they have like 50 other retailers that they offer, with Walmart being at the forefront of it all. I do agree that Walmart is the bigger draw, for most folks at least.

2018-07-20 01:10:28 (edited by jack 2018-07-20 03:34:31)

@turtlepower17 Here's one for the books. I went to report a bug concerning turning autopay on and off in the settings, it acted like it was partially implemented and produced an error which I won't go into detail about on here. So I post about it on Twitter. They respond, basically saying pretend that option isn't there because we're not doing autopay anyway. All subscription payments are 100% manually engaged. Why? Well so they don't have to collect your card info, because they've never even stored that info for their own sake anyways. Also, their stance I 100% agree with, that it should be pay as you go. I like that so much better than the so-called free trial bullshit business model we see, I wonder how much money businesses make off of people who forget to cancel their trial? So this and their refusal to make Amazon happy are definite reason to believe that the marketplace really does take privacy and security seriously, as it should be, not just barely skirting the line. As for returning items? I don't know how true this is since I've never had to return one before, but I heard a thing or two about them being able to handle returns or at least direct you to them if you used the feedback mechanism within the Paywithchip marketplace.

2018-07-20 01:50:07

Ah, I wasn't sure about that, I do know that the actual mechanism for returning items via Amazon's website, whether it's the regular site or the so-called accessible alternative, has been busted for quite some time. I've seen multiple accounts from both JAWS and NVDA users in recent memory where they complained about not being able to complete the process. I didn't know that you could actually return items through the Pay With Chip application. Personally, I think this should be made a bit more clear, but considering how well they're doing overall, that's just me nit picking.

And, yes, I completely agree with your stance on the respect they're showing towards privacy, that's to be commended for sure in an era where companies usually want to milk as much data from you as possible.

2018-07-20 02:38:38 (edited by jack 2018-07-21 17:57:24)

Especially because, you have to admit, they kind of had it in the bag. Amazon cut them a deal that as long as they got their keep, they wouldn't bother Paywithchip, and they would not even cave to that. I am infinitely more supportive of companies who not only refuse to feed off data mining, but also aren't even phased by a bribe. That says a lot, yes it may lose a few customers, but the fact that there are about 50 or some odd venders they offer, in my opinion makes the brouhaha with Amazon anything but a showstopper.

2018-07-20 02:45:32

You can return items via Amazon, its fiddly, and frustrating, but it can be done. I returned a defective laptop in March.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-20 02:53:01

Interesting. I was just going by what I saw on email lists, having not had to do it recently, as in, maybe in the past two years. I don't buy that much from Amazon to begin with, and when I do, I've had good luck with the stuff I've purchased, so maybe I'm just lucky.

2018-07-20 03:34:23

My first purchase through PayWithChip was my Google Home Max, I suspected the first one was defective because after a brief power outage, it forgot all of it's settings, so I had to start over. According to Google that wasn't supposed to happen and they suggested I return it for a new one.

I found PayWithChip very supportive, they even got Best Buy to pay for the return shipping. Considering how heavy the Max is, that's not exactly cheap.

I didn't even have to drop it off, they arranged for UPS to pick it up, after they did, PayWithChip kept me updated as to the status of the exchange. The new Max arrived a week later.

On the Amazon side of things, their returns page used to be broken because the line of objects including the check box to select an item for return were coded in such a way that screen readers saw it all as one single object making the check box inaccessible, preventing you from completing a return unless you get sighted help to tick the check boxes with a mouse. That was a problem for at least a year, but they recently finally fixed that page. But it is still a pain in the butt for screen reader users.

As a way to protest the way they reneged on the deal with PayWithChip, I was going to delete my card from my Amazon account, but discovered that they no longer accept PayPal as a payment option. I could delete the card anyway, but the next time I have to order from them because I can't find what I want in the PayWithChip marketplace, they'd just add it back again. Most online retail sites give you a check box to indicate whether you want them to store your card or not, not Amazon, the only way to avoid giving them access to your credit or debit cards or bank accounts is to buy gift cards and redeem them yourself. I can check this weekend, if Publix, a grocery store, carries Amazon gift cards, I just may go that route.

Amazon is the 800 pound gorilla I no longer trust.

2018-07-22 00:16:16

As it turned out, Publix did carry Amazon gift cards, so I bought four $25 cards, why that instead of just one $100 card? Because I don't plan to redeem them on Amazon's site until I need them. A little more work for me, but since I only plan to use Amazon for things I can't find anywhere else, I don't plan to need them all that often.

2018-08-14 01:22:44

First of all, this is all just speculation based on observation.

While I applaud PayWithChip's decision to drop Amazon instead of acceding to their demands and spying on its members for them was the right decision, I believe that it is hurting them more than they might be willing to admit. Before the Amazon problems began, orders were always promptly processed, and notifications of shipments were also timely and you could always count on receiving them. But afterwards, orders are no longer processed anywhere near as quickly as they used to be and you are fortunate if you get any shipment notifications at all.

I do hope that PayWithChip can weather the storm and come out ahead on the other end, especially since the option to cancel my subscription for a refund has expired. But for now I will probably go back to dealing with vendors directly. I don't ask for much, but when I spend my money, I do like being kept up to date on the status of my orders.

Life in the fast lane.

2018-10-04 14:32:13

Further update.

After having several orders take an excessively long time to be delivered, and one order sending the wrong item so I had to return it for a refund, which took forever. I have decided to abandon PayWithChip for now. I was surprised when my subscription fee was also refunded after I requested that my subscription be cancelled.

I plan to look at this again in six months to a year to see if anything has improved. But for now eBay has replaced Amazon for me, I am generally able to find everything I used to get from Amazon on eBay.