2018-03-15 23:43:01

So I am wondering for those of you who moevd out on your own, how did it feel? Also how did you get along by your self?

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2018-03-16 01:52:32

For most of my life I was only vision impaired in that my vision was never good enough to get a driver's license, so I was restricted to my feet, a bicycle, or public transportation to get around.

When I first moved out it was scarry being away from home for the first time, but I quickly adapted and things were fine.

To help with expenses, I decided to try having a room mate share the apartment with me. The first one turned out to be a good friend but as room mates, we were incompatible, so we parted ways.

The second room mate turned out to be a leech, he never paid so much as a dime towards expenses leaving me to support both of us while he spent his money on himself. Then he started bringing married women around to sleep with in our apartment, which I didn't condone and didn't want going on in the apartment. He ignored me and kept up with the married women. So I eventually kicked him out for both reasons. The last thing I wanted was for an angry husband to come looking for his wife's lover looking to shoot first and ask questions later.

After that I swore off room mates. It may be more expensive living alone but then you don't have to deal with someone else's bull crap.

After that living alone suited me just fine and I got along quite well.

Then I began losing my vision, it took three years before I was declared legally blind, and another year before I had to start using a long white cane.

In that time and afterwards I continued to live alone and have few difficulties with it, and as I find solutions like JAWS, flat bed scanners with OCR, the ID Mate Galaxy bar code scanner, Aira, TiVo with its screen reader, and etc, the difficulties I face get fewer and fewer.

Before I lost my vision, I used to say, "I'd rather be dead than blind." but now, after four and a half years of being blind, I find it's just an aspect of my life and only a minor hindrance.

Go for it, once you adapt, you'll love it!

2018-03-16 03:53:35

It's quieter and the presence or absence of Twinkies is entirely up to you. ... wait, did Twinkies get discontinued? ... The presence or absence of donuts is entirely up to you. tongue

Self motivation is more important if there's no one else to provide external motivation. ... Which again reminds me that I really need to get that dust-brush out from behind the washing machine sad .
The thing that's bugging me is more due to the age of my house and all the things which can get into the ventilation system, including mosquitos, smoke from people burning brush, smoke from people smoking random things upwind of a weakpoint, cats, and basically anything between smoke and cats in size, which makes it bloody amazing how I only run into non-mosquito bugs once or twice a year. (See, this is why I like spiders.) I should find a way to fix all of this, but, pricing of tools/materials aside, I am both crappy at conscientiousness and a might more cowardly than is desirable. So I just spend half the year bathing in Off and preventing wasps from nesting in inappropriate places.
I'm also not-quite-a-block away from a gas station with a small produce section and a lunch menu, in case I really want fried chicken and trailmix for some reason. So that's kinda nice. Also I need a new knife so I can cut some flippin' vegetables instead of relying on baking / microwavables / toastables / smoothies / actually, maybe I should get something that works on a George Forman that's healthier than quesadillas? I mean, I put spinach and mushrooms in them, but they're still full of cheese and wrapped in flour, which can make just about anything less healthy.

I think I got distracted. Umm, it's kinda like college, but without classes... or opportunities to beat people with swords... or RAs... or anything that has to do with college besides having a place to yourself and any roommates you bring along.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-03-16 06:58:33

I don't know I have this bad feeling when ever I think of a roommate.

Bitcoin Address:

2018-03-16 11:31:59

Moving out is absolutely necessary if you don't want to be completely dependent upon your parents or someone else the rest of your life, its part of growing up and becomming independent.

I moved out and went to university, which was nice in that many things, eG most meals hoovering the room were done for me, though other things such as washing, odd meals and washing up if I had a coffee I had to do myself.

After four years the rules got on my nurves and I wanted my own place so moved into a council flat. This was a lovely place and was entirely mine, plus as it was owned by the council my housing bennifit payed rent so I only had to worry about my own expenses.

Yes, there were thigns I needed to learn and do myself, but for me having my own place and taking care of it was a point of pride and something I actively wanted! to do, heck i used to host role playing games there so always had to make sure it was decent, plus when I got my guide dog I got a cleaning service for purposes of dealing with dog hair etc.

now my lady (who is also blind) and I have a small house together and are doing absolutely fine, indeed in terms of responsibilities its me that does most of the  while my lady takes charge of most of the laundry, other tasks we tend to split between us or apportion as needed, indeed we don't tend to have hard and fast rules.

the most major problem of moving out actually is not practical but social, since finding  and social contact post university is not easy and indeed is something my lady and I still struggle with, though the old sore about "having each other" proves extremely true.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-16 14:40:32

It all comes down to if you can afford it or in the right mind frame to make it happen

I moved out when I was 18yrs old & loved the freedom of your on place

I will save you time don't waist your time sharing a place if you can

A George formen grill & online shopping helps a lot

To the guy that wants to eat more healthy
Eat fish. Skinless chicken. Qorn & salads
Walking. Jogging. Dancing will do the job
In your home. Garden or out with friends

Don't let anything in life get in your way
Keep your head up gents

2018-03-16 16:23:47

I'd suggest if you're worried about it, try to find somewhere close enough to your parents that you can have your own place while still having the security of family near by. You'll have that helping hand close by while you adapt. But once you break the link with your home to truly have your own place, there's no going back. All I can say is it's possible to do almost everything for yourself as a blind person living alone, and there'll come a point where the idea of moving back in with your parents becomes unthinkable.

2018-03-16 17:43:21

Actually flacus my lady and I have the reverse problem you mention at the moment, namely that we moved from 100 miles north of where I grew up to only about twenty miles away. Since its a 40 minute drive away we assumed it would be far enough to retain independence but unfortunately my mum is becoming actually a bit more rather than less clingy as she gets older which is a miner pest but will probably sought itself out when she's got used to the fact that  35 not 15.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-16 23:39:15

How did you guys handle rent and bills. Wile I do like bills and can keep track of my money I just want to make sure where everything goes. I have also heard that if you have the money pay the bill for the next month ahead of time.

Bitcoin Address:

2018-03-17 01:08:25

Hi.
Hmm, moving out for me wasn't quite the change how it might have been for others, since I was 10, I visited a boarding school for the blind, about 2 hours away from my home, in the first year there, I was at my mothers place for every weekend or so, but over the years it gradually changed, I am here since two months by now, will go home in the easter hollydays for a bit, but just for some days.
We are living in flats with around 7 others students and a team of staff members watching over us so to speak, but since I started an I T Training last September, I moved into a flat with non 24/7 someone watching over us, the person responsible for the flat is coming twice a week, but for the rest, we clean our rooms, prepare food, do laundry, and all the stuff you need to do to live here, sure, we don't need to pay the bills and such, but it is quite nice and an important step towards independence.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-03-17 01:53:54

If you can get bills electronically, or if you can set up automated payments, that simplifies things a bit.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-03-17 02:05:00 (edited by flackers 2018-03-17 02:10:01)

Apart from groceries and transport costs, everything else just goes out of my bank account automatically. If you have enough income, and are the sort who's sensible and responsible enough to take care of the essentials before spending whatever's left each month while maintaining a bit of savings for emergencies, you'll be fine. I'm boringly sensible about that kind of thing, so have never had a month where I didn't have enough to cover my bills, but there are people who seem to get by alright in constant debt with no intention of paying any of it. I couldn't live like that, but some can, so I Suppose it all depends on what you're like.
As for running a household as a blind person living alone, the internet is probably the best tool you have. When I first left home, it was 1995, and I didn't know anyone who had the internet, and had never even used it at that point. It's great these days being able to manage all your banking, bills, groceries, and general shopping all from the comfort of your armchair. The net has made life so much easier for the disabled.

2018-03-17 02:40:45

It will be pretty scary at first but I will learn along the way and I think things might be fine in the long run.

Bitcoin Address:

2018-03-17 04:11:17

I hate automatic payments and do not use them except on one bill because it literally saves me $5 for it. Reason being is if I get in a spot, and I don't have enough, I am the one who has to prioritize what goes where and when, or I would be in trouble and overdraw my account. I uh... just can't say, not pay my rent, a place to live and a roof over my head is more important than say, internet lol. I've never had it get that tight but yeah.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-17 05:29:17

hi there, would you folks be so kind as to share with me, how can we cook the basic meals? i  would like to expand my ability's and, I'd love to know how to make things such as pork chops, rice, potatoes. or perhaps, getting that raw pies, which is frozen out of the fridge, how do u cook them. I'd appreciate if you would share your ways of doing things,
with me. often I'd love to slap a peace of stake on the stove. but I'd not know how. would you kindly explain how you do things?   while I am mostly independent, cooking these type of things is something I don't yet know how to do. oh sure I can make basic stuff like mac and cheese. but, I'd love to grab a pie from the fridge and cook it, or perhaps, some
fish fingers. any help would be greatly appreciated. I keep on hearing about the George Forman device, forgive me asking obvious things, but please would you care to explain, regardless of how obvious it sounds. many times, my poor sister works late. and my wish is for me to surprise her some day with a nice dinner. in sted of her having to cook when she gets home. sure she's fully sighted, but I do my bit, and I feel that, if I can learn how to cook, it would be just one more skill to my ever growing arsenal.
vacuuming doing dishes, cleaning kitchen floors counters, bathrooms, showers, and lews is easy for me, and comes standard with what i am able to do, but cooking is a little beyond me,
since she does not wish to show me yet.
my apologies if this is slightly off topic, please let me know if I must make a new topic for this?
i thought this would fit in since, I am alone many times.
and sometimes its not fun to wait long hours fully knowing,  there's meat in the fridge.
if there's any devices I need, I'll go buy them. but dam, sometimes that  chicken peaces seems so nice. and I'd wish I was able to cook them.
I do know Google is my friend, but I need the more
personal touch from folks like your selves. whose in the same position I am.
Any help or advice, will be greatly appreciated.
and again, kindly be as detailed as you can, even if it sounds obvious.
who knows, perhaps i mite get my chicken after all. smile.
things I do have, i phone six S, so reading boxes of things is okay for me. but, that is ware i am stuck.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-03-17 11:25:04

George formen is a grill that is built in a shell/ box shape
Which allows you to grill so many different meals & meats
You place the meat or sandwich you want to grill on the grill
Then close over the top of the grill as you would a laptop or pizza box lol

As the grill has to plates of metal to heat up the food
One on the inside top panel & one on the bottom inside panel
So basically your food will be in the middle of both the grill panels
Bonus its healthy to as all the fat drips off to a tray at the bottom you can clip off & clean out

2018-03-17 11:49:37

I also make bacon on the grill as all the greace just slides off of it. I put it in the microwave wonce and I heard it litterly swimming in grease.

Bitcoin Address:

2018-03-17 14:50:02

@hurstseth405, bills aren't a problem if your sensible. I have standing orders for most bills since most of them missing would be an intensively bad idea but I also keep tabs on my bnk account regularly so I know what is going in and out.
while I fully agree with Flacus about the net being useful, I personally do not! do internet banking. The reason is I want  little of my own financial information on my computer as possible just in case, heck up until recently I even always used Paypal with a credit card, though annoyingly paypal's charges for that have got prohibitive so I've had to tie paypal into my bank, something I'm not happy with.
Still my bank has a telephone banking service I can use, and going into the bank in person still works.

Generally I don't agonise about bills or budgit exhaustigvely, usually before making a none essential purchase I'll check if I can afford it. I know some people who literally separate out their income bit by bit but that's something I've never had to do, usually being sensible and keeping a watch on things is enough for me, though now I'm keeping more of a watch than usual since my income has to support two people. 

As to cooking flybychow, generally I use several devices.
the george forman is good for things like steak, burgers, pork chops, bacon etc.
I also have a slow cooker, sometimes called a crock pot which is awesome for making stews and chillies and the like. 

I use the inside of the oven quite a lot, indeed that is what I tend to do with things like fish or pies or such, I just have a good set of oven gloves and appropriate markings on  controls, and shoving things in an oven isn't hard.

I also have an electronic steamer for cooking vegitables which is a completely awesome item and something I'd recommend to anyone as it's so much easier than trying to use the hob.

lastly I do use the microwave, indeed I have a talkig microwave, though I admit this is more a luxury than a necessity. Its actually surprising how much you can do in a mike given  we've even discovered an amazing brand of frozen mashed potatoes.

Generally cooking is a combination of using these items.

I did used to make a couple of things on the hob, that is the top of the oven, but that is more difficult, and I only tended to use it for things like stir fry and occasionally pasta.
In our current house the hob is actually broken and to be honest we've not missed it since most things can be done otherwise.

So for fish fingers I'd use the oven, just bang them on a tray, set the oven to the right temperature (about 200 degrees c with an electric oven), and time for around 25 minutes, maybe a minute or two more depending upon size and whether they're frozen.
The thing I would recommend, apart from marking the oven, would be a good set of chef's gloves. And when I say gloves I mean gloves! as in things with fingers.
I have two sets of kevla oven gloves which are utterly heat proof and mean that getting stuff in and out of the oven is no problem.

I'd probably do the pies you mention the same way in the oven, though also I might put them in the mike depending upon time.

For rice, not having a working hob or wanting to monkey with boiling water, we use a microwave brand which is really good stuff and goes very well when we've put a chilly together.

The only two major things cooking wise that are a pain are firstly preparing and washing vege (since you can't see when its clean), and also a lot of things like frying using the hob.
otherwise though things are fairly easy to do.

hth.

2018-03-17 16:44:55

@18 You guys call your stove top a hob? Interesting. Or am I missing the point. Well ovens generally have two ways of working, normal bake, which uses an element under the food, and broil, which uses one above the food so the heat slams down on the top of it. The stove has 4 burners of different sizes. I've used both gas and electric ovens/stoves. I prefer the gas because its quicker to bring water to a boil, and if the power goes out, you can still cook on the burner, just light it with a match or candle lighter rather than using the electric igniter built into the dial to turn it on.

You have oven mits made of Kevlar? holy crayup. Normally they're just made of a sort of thick material with heavy padding on the inside. Actually, kevlar has more of a rep for stopping bullets rather than stopping heat, so I dunno how good it would be for that, but that's interesting all the same. Kevlar is also fairly strong, and the ropes that connect the various parts of a bowflex are made of it. My dad got one back in 05 or something like that, a long while back and it still works. It's a workout machine that can be easily reconfigured to do a number of things. The weights you load onto it really aren't weights at all, each one weighs close to a pound, but contains bands that provide the resistance. The only bad thing about this system is the resistance isn't linear, there's a sort of slop area, then you feel it build up, and then only like the last half or so is the full weight, it comes up from nothing to full over a sort of curve if that makes any sense. This is where actual weights are superior as a 20 pound set will always weigh 20 pounds, unless you take it to the moon of course. But the bowflex isn't just for benching.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-17 18:24:39

It's hard to explain how the controls on a stove/oven work, since they differ from stove to stove. My parents have some digital monstrosity, while I just have a few dials on the back. It'd be nice to get them labeled, but most of what I need is easy to remember and not that picky about precision, so I haven't done any labeling, there. (The microwave is marked, though.)
I never even thought of bacon on the grill! As said, doing it in the microwave is an invitation to grease city. sad

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-03-17 18:54:53

@19 Kevlar is a pretty awesome thing for use with those knife resistant gloves which are pretty useful, as opening holes in one's fingers is something even sighted people do far too often. I'm curious how you light the stove by hand. I thought the gas element was underneath the top of the range. I've always wondered what that little cap on the burner is.

2018-03-17 18:58:54

Hob, stove top, I dont' think there is a specific term for it.
Actually the one in the new house probably wouldn't have been usable anyway, given that it is one of those one piece things with no defined rings, so even if it was! working I probably wouldn't be using it.
Besides As I said, I mostly never used the thing accept for pasta and stir fry.

of course In America you strange people don't use electric kettles, which probably makes life more difficult even for simple things like making tea or making  without using a machine, though as that has been run through in other topics I'll stop.

the latest thing I have that I absolutely love is my electric steamer, which is great for vege, fish all sorts of things like that and really easy to use, just pour hot water into the bottom, stick whatever your steaming into one of the baskets, and then bang the basket on the base and turn it on, walk away for about 25 minutes or so and then just lift the baskets off when its done.

Oh and yes Ironcross, Kevlar will stop heat dead. I've sometimes had my hand on the ring while its been on to position a pan, which is quite doable in the Kevlar gloves, as is taking time making sure you've got trays securely when pulling them out of the oven. They're great because they're actual gloves with fingers, so you don't have to do everything while wearing boxing gloves or still worse, those dreadful mits that are more like just a small pouch for your hands.

the only thing you need to be slightly careful with is Kevlar isn't water tight, so don't spill hot liquid or steam your hands by accident.

Oh and Cae yeah, bacon on the George works really well, sometimes I'll get soem eggs and do my lady and  will do bacon and scrambled eggs for brunch, or a round of bacon butties :d.

I'd recommend five minutes, or 7 if you want it crimated,s did seem to be the fashion in the states :d. 

Just make sure you have a good spachela to get it off with, indeed i usually just bang a plate under the lip of the George and scrape the bacon straight off the grill.

2018-03-17 21:04:10

@21 that cap I don't really know myself, but they are only found on electric stoves. The gas ones are different, if you feel the burner when its off and cool, you'll feel three or four almost blades radiating from a circular ring whose inside is open. To light it by hand, you would take your match and light it, or your candle lighter or bic lighter and light that, then turn on the burner to about medium and stick the tip in between those blades where the gas comes out, no problem, it lights immediately.

@22 we don't drink tea unless its cold here. At least, a lot of people don't, still some people actually make hot tea, but its not the norm.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-18 05:52:39 (edited by flyby chow 2018-03-18 06:05:42)

waw, this is super exciting! thank you every one for helping me out. I'll definitely mention all this to my sister. and we can see what we can buy me, to get this show on the road. I do have a question about the microwave. you see. in normal microwaves cooking
the pie, is not doable because, it softens and soggy the pie.
but i have encountered a convection micro wave that makes it nice and crispy. but that was long ago. and not even sure, if that was what its called.
is it a given that normal micro wave cannot do this. or is there a button or setting i am missing.
as for the George Forman, I've mentioned this to my sister. and she says that, there are many types of the George formans out there.
is this true? must I get the biggest one?
or is there a certon one I must get.
Thank you dark for the idea bout the gloves. I must definitely get me one of those.
wow! cooking pork chops on it, nice! I am really feeling happy and hopeful about this. is making chicken breasts or, chicken phillits also doable on the grill? or must you use something else for that.

there is only 2 things I'm not sure. what you are referring to. we have a thing called a pressure cooker.
you get the electric ones, and non electric ones.
its basically big iron pot. with a lid that has a rubber on it.
is that what you meant with, a slow cooker?
The last question for now is, potatos. how do you peal them?
Is there a easy way to peal the potatos? to get the skin off. or must you use that little hand pealer?

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-03-18 06:34:01

I don't think a pressure cooker and a slow cooker are the same.
As for the grill, it depends what you want to cook on it, and how much. I got one which can hold approximately one tortilla's width, so like 8-10 inches? (20-24cm?) I don't know if I'd say that's big enough for bacon, but for the rest, it's probably big enough, if you only want to do one item or so at a time. If you want to cook for multiple people, or you want big things, or you want something that is wide enough to fit but would therebye drip off the sides, you'd want to go bigger.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.