2018-02-15 16:16:32

I'm not complaining about it. I've never been a big fan of youtube and only use it to add music to my library when I encounter a track I don't have and want.

Beyond that, I couldn't care less about youtube and definitely don't want a youtube skill for the Echo.

2018-02-15 16:21:42

Well, at last for me a youtube skil will be verry good, cause I do not have the capacity to pay for other services of music myself and my mother said I will have the prime ackount, but no more other things.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-02-15 18:12:33

Well, the prime account will give you access to amazon music, which isn't bad as part of prime, but I wouldn't pay for it or music unlimited. As Dark said, prime music is pretty dire in that it caters primarily to what's popular now, and music unlimited isn't unlimited. Until there is a youtube skill for the Echo, my recommendation, if you want to listen to music on the Echo is to find some radio stations you like that you can get through Alexa's built in Tune In or Enable the iHeart skill to get access to radio stations that are part of the iHeart network.

2018-02-15 19:54:18

@Aaron that starwars vr rig sounds pretty cool.

Myself I've had annoying amounts of work to do today for my phd, and unfortunately last night, while spending time having a meal out with mrs. Dark is always lovely, the meal itself was over priced for the quality. Hopefully though soon we'll find somewhere nice in this town which can make up for a few of the places we lost.

@orko what is I heart radio? Is that an us specific thing?

personally I use youtube for looking up odd bits of audio or downloading the occasional track, it's really handy when I have music to learn and what to hear three  four versions of something.
I've tried this with amazon prime but the  selection is pretty crappy and doesn't encourage me to pay for unlimited, as I said for me the main attraction to prime is actually the free delivery, which is sort of ironic in itself given that most of the  stuff my lady and I bought from amazon have actually been cds, which for some utterly illogical reason work out cheaper than trying to buy the things as mp3 downloads, which is just plane loopy!

@Angel I'm afraid I'd personally recommend just forgetting the Amazon echo in terms of music. unless there is a radio station you want and a corresponding skill the music services even with prime are crappy, actually Prime doesn't really do much at all for using Alexa, it's mainly about the delivery, prime video and twitch prime, I can't even get the Jeopardy skill on Alexa to do double jeopardy which it's supposed to do for prime customers but most definitely doesn't in the Uk).

On the plus side, for free games  and fun skills there is a lot on offer, which is where the Echo really shines as a device.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-15 20:00:58

I'm utterly bored. I'm thinking of starting a weekend writing spree and see if I can finish up a short story every weekend. I probably won't keep it up but it could be interesting.
I recently played empire mud but I left because of the same sorta issues that other members have talked about. Thinking about setting up my own server for it but only if there's enough interest of course.
Anyone have any relatively fun games to try out? I'm dying for something new to try my hands on.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2018-02-15 21:23:36

Hi LordLondon.
What kind of games did you have in mind?

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-02-15 22:46:14

Oh anything really that kills this mind numming bordom. Something that gives me intelectual stimulation but also has a sense of purpose and achievement. You know when I say I might write, it's serious. Lol. I'm gonna go look into what I'd need to setup a server.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2018-02-15 23:02:07

Hahahahaha, looks like I'll have to do a lot of configurations, and research.
I should buy myself a separate machine and a home network to begin with. I'll write to the dev tomorrow and stuff. Blah this is why I hate computers.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2018-02-16 01:30:24

@Dark

Yes, iHeart is primarily as US thing just as the BBC is primarily a UK thing.

2018-02-16 15:32:03

I heared some radio stations with tune in from Alexa and I am curious, if I want us voice and my ackount is compatible with the Uk what I need to do, it sais on the dot of my friend if he will change the language, the ecow can have problems understanding.
I want to do that cause the UK voice is not so good like the US one, the use voice can sing more songs etc.

2018-02-16 17:31:24

@Angel, I'm not sure what you mean by "the UK voice can't sing or understand as much" or what this has to do with tune in.

Tune in is essentially an independent radio playback service that you can subscribe to on various devices, the Alexa is one of them. I was a bit disappointed since the main radio station I listen to, classic fm you can't get through tune in (though a recent radio skill has it).

If your not interested in lots of radio stations, tune in probably won't help you.

As for region locking, unfortunately the Alexa's region can't be changed, this is why  is so irritating when makers of skills make them specific to America and forget that the rest of the world exists (The maker of the dungeon crawler skill seriously needs a boot up the arse).

Similarly, from what I've gathered you can't change the Alexa's voice or  dialect, so mine in the Uk is stuck on Uk English female (though you can change what language you speak to it in the settings.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-02-16 22:26:43

It is not related to tune in, it is related to the voice Alexa is using, the voice for UK is, from my perspective worse than the one in the US who has alot of songs if you say Alexa, sing a song, it has a more pleasant tone and I personaly prefer american english, cause the part of my family who speack english spoke with me with american accent.

2018-02-17 00:33:39

Hmmm, I've never actually tried asking Alexa to sing itself I'll have to try that.
In terms of languages I believe if you change the overall language of Alexa to American rather than uk English it'll also change the voice.

2018-02-17 12:28:19

@Dark

For the first couple of years, the Amazon Echo and the Alexa service were only available in the US and some of those skills may have been written back then, so there was no rest of the world for them to be made available to.

As Amazon, the Echo, and Alexa become more global, some developers are going back and making their skills available globaly. Unfortunately, not all developers are so forward thinking.

As you requested a while back I have written to several developers, the one for Dungeon Crawl for one, and asked them to consider making their Echo skills available globaly. Some have responded with a we are working on it, others have not replied at all.

It is what it is.

2018-02-17 21:26:40

Hi LordLondon.
If you mean games like puzzle games, you can try the BG games, a lot of them are like that, and if you have an iPhone the blindfold games are pretty good too.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-02-18 15:20:36

Hey guys. I know I'm a bit late to this topic but oh well.
This month has been full of birthdays for my friends and family, and more have yet to come. I've been Trying to get back to podcasting, as hard as it is because I haven't been on top of it like I should be. I've started submitting podcasts to ACB Radio's Main Menu show, so if you're a fan of it expect me to pop up from time to time.
One thing I'm particularly excited about is my 18th birthday coming up on the first of March. Mainly the reason behind my excitement is the fact that I'll be able to get a paypal merchant account, which means I can finally start my business.
Well, that's all from me, have a great morning you guys.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-02-20 19:46:36

Hi.
Today was a bad day.
I had to deal with the worst teacher in the world.
She is my music teacher, she has some kind of problem with me, she wants to destroy my voice, who is changing now.
She wants from me to repeat a song almost 100 times and for others she is just a normal teacher.
I like singing and listenning to music, but she almost made my voice unable to sing, she is mad and she wants to go to alot of contests and things and my parents can not let me go cause my grandpa has a program and he manages it especiali for me and other people and she destroy his work program.
What can I do with her?
Cause she can destroy my qualiti feedbacks, or what ever are them named in other countries.

2018-02-20 23:11:20

idk what you're saying

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-20 23:20:15

Sorry for my english from the previous post, but I was in a hurry and the teacher wanted to sing for a contest a song, something in italian and I do not know italian.

2018-02-21 02:04:01

@Angel, from the perspective of someone who has had voice lessons and does! sing in Italian on occasion,it actually sounds like your teacher is doing her job properly.
It sounds to me as if she's recognised you have some possibility to develop your voice and your singing, so she is pushing you, just the same way a  sports coach might push someone who showed a promising talent with a certain sport.

Singing is very physically demanding, it will! make you ache, and likely cause your voice to feel tired until your muscles get used  to the correct breathing etc, however it will be worth it in the end, just think of it like  exercise training because that is effectively what it is.

As for singing in Italian, there are certain vocal reasons why Italian is a good language to sing in. The long vowels give you practice opening your mouth, while the cons tenants are soft and give you practice forming them. My singing teacher was very fond of giving me Vokais, these are short peaces in Italian intended to expand the  voice range and actually make great warmups.

Of course, not all singing teachers are equal, but I'd suggest if your serious about music you give this teacher a chance and give what she's asking you to try a chance too, since if you can develop your voice it will be good for many things from public speaking, to health, as well as being a great aide to any performances you want to do.

For me, today  hasn't been good either, since this morning we went to a funeral of a dear friend of my parents, a very nice Vicar who I had a great respect for.
Oddly his funeral was quite hilarious, everyone telling stories about him and feeling strangely upbeat, then again he was quite a character. he even chose the hymns to be less than dolful.

It was and is extremely sad to miss him, but it was sort of nice to remember him too.

I've also been playing lots of Land of Livia, and we're staying at my parents tonight which means other games have had to take a back seat but I hope to get back to things tomorrow.

2018-02-21 02:23:13

@Dark

I'm sorry to hear that, it's never good to lose a friend.

I've always felt that funerals should be about the person's life, not their death, hench they should be up beat instead of doleful.

2018-02-21 16:12:24

Well Dark, you can be right, but my voice is still changing cause I am 15, I can talk only verry soft, I can not scream, I can not sing like a sopran and she wants that without other vocalises before or what ever are them called.
She is screaming to everione, including herself, today she gave a punch to a kild and that is not normal.

2018-02-21 19:08:17

Yeah if she's punching kids, that's not right. Back in my father's day, it was normal for the teachers to smack kids with a paddle, I'm glad that wasn't the case in my school since I tend to hit people back when they hit me regardless of who they are. If you do this now as a teacher, its big big trouble, very likely termination if not criminal charges depending on if you hurt the kid or not. I don't know the laws in any country but my own though, so I don't know what the deal is with that.

Is this something you wish to pursu? If so, I mean, deal with it, they're gonna bring the best out of you, and you need to work to make that happen, if its not, and its just a general music class, well, I don't know what resources you have at your disposal. Here, we have guidance counselors whom you can make an appointment with and talk about stuff like this.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-22 19:33:44

@Angel the hitting isn't good, it's been illegal in the Uk since the early seventies I think. With your voice though it depends.
I once met a 15 year old base who honestly sounded as though he were forty, while my voice at fifteen was very horrible, being either a flooty surprano or a scratchy baritone. I first had voice lessons at 17 and at tht that point the teacher really pushed me, she told me I was going to be a tenor which stunned me, since at the time singing really high was damnably difficult big_smile.

So either this woman is really pushing since she wants you to develop in the right way, or she's an idiot, but you won't know until you firstly talk to her,  maybe get a second opinion.

As for me lots more reading of words of radience, we've hit the bit where there is a serious amount of excreter ex extractor, which makes it very compelling, though this is less good when you have a mild tendency to insomnea and your wife has a major tendency to insomnea and you wind up sitting up all night reading  don't even wake up until after 1 pm the next day when you suddenly realize you have no food in the house big_smile.

This weekend we'll also be going quad speaker hunting which I'm looking forward to, since it's been damnably myserable not to be able to listen to music or other stuff with my lady.

2018-02-22 21:46:48

Hi Dark.
I know that is ilegal, I talked with her and she said she really do not care about my voice changind and about my program or things like that.
Today we were obligued us to stay in a hot and small place and to wait 2 hours and a half for a person who did not wanted to come after all, the program of my grandpa was destroyed and I ended up with a headake and a big pain in my nek.