2018-01-15 19:58:20

All these things having been said - and there are some good points here, I should add - I do want to make a counterpoint.

Final Fantasy VI came out in 1994, and it's still a damn good game. Crono Trigger came out a year later and it's hailed as one of the greatest games of its genre. Does it stand up to Skyrim for depth and complexity? Nope. Perish the thought. But what it does, it nails.
This can be true of audio games as well. Games do not, absolutely do not, have to tread new ground in order to be worthwhile, but my stance is that if you're going to do something that's been done before, do it well.
For me, AHC does this. We don't have too many good blind-accessible RPGs out there, but AHC does a lot right. Does it need all the fancy dialogue trees, positional audio and such to make it good? No, but those things help.
I guess my point here is to remember that while it's true that good games push the bar much of the time, they don't have to. Final Fantasy took the same basic setup for years and made it work, and not just on a brand either. Ditto Mario, Zelda, even Metroid, Castlevania...you get the idea. They took something they knew how to do, did it well, and fans wanted more. Sure, they wanted better, but they also wanted more. The community has been crying for a good RPG, and Out of Sight delivered. Now that we've got a good one, it'll be up to future developers to make sure that their own entries into the genre don't just roll over the same old ground with little to no differences.

Personally, anything you said about AHC, Nocturnis, I'd say about Manamon nine times over. That game is way, way, way closer to source material than AHC is, and really didn't do anything particularly innovative that hasn't already been done before to some extent. Was it fun? For a loose little romp before you figured out how it worked, sure. But would it stick as something that raises the bar in the genre? Perish the thought.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-01-15 20:12:43

so here's a thing that's been bothering the hell out of me for a while now. People seem to sling about the word clone like it's some sort of insult. Don't like someone's game? Durr ur gams a clone lolz.  It's almost like these people think that because a game borrowed a feature or two from another game, it's automatically worthless and should be treated with the utmost disdain. Granted, some games have really taken the piss, claiming that they are doing revolutionary things never seen before(TM) and it turns out that they've just completely ripped off another game and just changed the name of things. There are also the games like crazy party, that make no secret of the fact that they are clones, Crazy party has music from just about every mario game I can think of as well as other 90s platformers like crock. That's cool it makes no secret out of the fact that this is the game it's emulating It is right there in the gameplay, the music and the sound effects.  Then you have games like AHC, that lean on their RPG tropes and that's completely fair to do that kind of thing. This is out of sight's first game, and joseph pretty much came out and said I want this to emulate KOTOR/ jade empire in some ways, because I loved those games and want people to get a taste of what they were like.  KOTOR leant on those RPG tropes, jade empire leant on those tropes and did you see the sighted gaming community whipping themselves up into a rage because you could form a party in those games like you could in final fantasy/ xenogear/persona/whatever I think you get the picture? You didn't because in general people realised that every game is going to have a bit of another games DNA in it, because that's generally how humans work. We see things, think hey that thing is cool and then incorporate that thing into our thing. Now, people in this community seem to think that every single game that gets released ever is going to be some special unique kind of snowflake and if it's not, it has to be ripped apart and shat on. These type of people need to STFU and get a grip on reality, because it really does not work like that. To be honest, that type of person contributes literally nothing and makes this place in general a crappier place to be in.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2018-01-15 20:26:16

@Jade:

The thing with FF is it's a Japanese game, and Japanese games tend to know what they're doing and take their time to get it right, it's a cultureal thing as much as anything for the Japanese to do the best they can in life or anywhere else. Remember Japan is a very honor driven society and they want to put out the best they can to live  up to that honor.

@Exodus: Well said. People shouldn't rip a game apart because it's similar. If you want to take it back to the basic building blocks. Every audiogame is a clone of every other just because of the fact it's limited, you're just using sounds, and in many many cases, sounds overlap and you only have a certain number of ways to convey soundss though.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2018-01-15 22:13:27

Jade I agree with you.
As for clones.
It all depends how the clones were made and what from.
All this cloning came from ultrapower where people used stolen code or sounds or something.
There are packs of sfx going about with my voice in it.
Some may mind, I do not because these were used for a simple game that was not released, I gave the voices to rsgames, but they didn't buy them from me, so legally they are mine to do with as I pleased.
I actually thought about sharing them but someone beat me to it.
I am happy they are used it would have been nice if I was asked first but I can't complain if they are in a game and used for things I enjoy, battlezone and age of slaughter were good games in their day and the sounds were used for what they were intended.
It would be a different thing if they wern't.
I even have the free pack where they were posted, that pack even had a non comercial product disclamer in its licence so its not like anyone could just use them in stuff they made and charged for it and said they had the rights to the voices.
Then again its not like I could do anything about it either.
As for cloning in general, it seems to be semi legal.
Music artests and others seem to get away with doing this as long as its not exactly just coppied.
Your computer you use is a clone, all pcs are a clone of the origional ibm pc and all are slightly different.
As for games, if you made something based of something else thats fine unless ofcause the company doesn't care for it, some comercial companies do not.
However if you want a clone look at dnd, monopoly, etc.
Cloned doesn't have to mean its badly coded or alegal either.
As for older games and such some games have stayed with me even if I havn't clocked them at higher levels.
gtc and sod are good games so is lonewolf for what it is worth.
Simplistic but still.
Last crusade is really old and simplistic but good enough for a quick go about.
The bsc stuff, some of that is good to.
As for audiogames, we are not a big market.
Maybe its time to look into the japanese, they seem to have the right idea.
12 year olds are coding comercial games basically.
If they can code like that when kids what can they do when bigger.
On the other hand I have seen some audiogames coded by kids, total crap mostly and the kids can't take critisism that well either.
Do we need a change, yes we do but who's going to do it.
Right now its talk but who knows.
Audio is limited, but no one has the cash for expensive hardware really as such for graphics and in some ways thats fine.
It would be nice to play with friends on their level though.

2018-01-15 22:34:46

Clone is not an automatic dirty word in my book. I believe I've said this elsewhere.

I don't care that AHC is a little derivative, and I don't care that Crazy Party is much more. I -do care that Manamon is derivative though, because it sort of pretends not to be and borrows a metric ton from its source. That's always sat wrong with me.

@Exodus, I'm definitely not one of those people who thinks every new game has to be its own totally unique special snowflake. As I said before, find a thing, whether it's new and novel or fairly bog-standard, then do it as well as you can. Don't just mail it in. AHC does not just mail it in. Heh.

2018-01-16 01:20:19

Manamon kind of pissed me off, and I wasn't gonna buy it, but en I broke down and did it, which, I wish I wouldn't have. I did have some fun with it, never actually beat it though, I just got bored of it. Manamon is a clone in every sense of the word, and its a clone pretending to be an original, which really irritates me that Aaron Baker had the nerve to act like it was totally its own thing. As a developer, you should stand up on your merits, AHC is not a clone, its an RPG with elements of an RPG, there is a huge difference. Yeah it bugs me too that everyone cries clone at the drop of a hat, but there really are some clones floating around, and what's more, there's games that are derived from stolen code.

I think we should hold our developers to a high standard of morality, and if they want to be free and loose, we shouldn't welcome them here, we should do the online equivalent of tar and feathering. Maybe a little more tamely than flaming and stuff, just let them know in no uncertain terms that what they're doing, we don't find acceptable, and we won't continue to support them if they lie, make false promises, steal resources from anywhere, including other developers, etc.

TL:DR clean up your act or GTFO is the message we should send.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-16 01:30:53

Well manamon is the clone of pokemon, but there is digimon, the japanese have cloned their own thing so it hardly seems to matter.
Unlike some of us they seem to not have any issues cloning things with slightly different names.
I do aggree manamon's idea is not new it is a clone but the fact there is a name change is probably enough to say that it is origional enough.
Becides, if you are emulating a console you are basically making a clone of a console and no one seems to mind that much unless you don't own your cart and not everyone does.

2018-01-20 14:04:04

Manamon is 100 percent a clone of Pokemon and when I ran across it I was shocked that they could even get away with it.  I find it ridiculous that anyone would defend it because "It's name is different so it isn't a clone" because as Jayde so eloquently pointed out in a previous post it is 100 percent played as a Pokemon game, and I would have prefered it just be a Pokemon port for the blind in the same vain as Braillemon instead of pretending to be something "new"

That being said, AHC is a clone?  Seriously?  It's an RPG with it's own plot, own original characters, own original music.  A clone would be taking music from Final Fantasy or something and changing character names and giving us the exact same plot from say, FFVI and saying they made it themselves.  They built a story, a game engine, and just because it lends itself to be a  high fantasy story doesn't make it any less  original because you can look at seasonal anime, or visual novels, or any JRPG and say they are all clones of each other.  Every dark magical girl anime is "A Madoka Magica clone" with that logic.

As far as the game development side goes, I'm not a game dev.  I'd like to make accessible visual novels, but I know nothing about coding (am going to start learning this year).  I'm coming at this from the view point of someone who has played mainstream games all their lives, got out of it when my vision got bad enough to not be able to see said games, and am now jumping back into gaming in general, both mainstream and audio.  Is AHC going to stand up to a mainstream RPG?  Probably not.  Is it a good game that set out what it was planning to, and gave what it planned to it's customers?  I think so!  I always say this:  I don't care if it's an accessible game, a mainstream game, or an indi game.  MAKE A GOOD GAME!!!  It doesn't matter if it's all audio, all text, all story based click and shoot puzzles:  If it's an engaging game, with good mechanics, a good story, and well thought out code then people will play it.  I have sighted friends who say they love some of the older text adventure games, and used to play them as much as any other game.  If you want to make an all audio game, then fine, do it:  But make sure the all audio aspect will lend itself to mechanics, and gameplay that will make everyone want to play it.  You don't have to market it to the blind, you can market it as a game that you only have your ears to play or something like that and bam it will interest sighted players along with being accessible. 

It's all in marketing, all in how you approach things.  I'm a firm believer in work with what you've got, so if you only have 1 engine to build a game on, make it the best game you can in that engine.  Test it's limits, test your limits, be creative.  In order to get accessibility in mainstream games, we have to let developers know from the start.  I always say we're better off letting them know from the get go so they can integrate accessibility while coding a game (which, one of my sighted friends is actually doing in a game they are making) but sitting around and saying a game isn't accessible, when trying to do nothing to make it accessible has always bothered me.  Go out and talk to devs to get accessibility in there, or make the games you want yourself!

AHC raised the bar in the audio game scene for sure.  I wasn't even remotely interested in anything I had heard of before - though I wasn't aware there were other RPGs made, as well.  But because AHC set a new standard, people are deciding to call it a clone?  Not cool.  Push yourself to do something extraordinary like Out of sight games did, and see how the audio games scene not only changes, but appeals to sighted people as well.  You'd be surprised how many people just aren't playing a game because they think it's only for one nitch market.  Making a game only for the blind is just as limiting to a  sighted player as a game with all text, and no voice acting is to a blind player.  Both sides would be going "Why  should I play this?  I'm not ___".

Wow I went off on a few tangents there haha.  TL;DR:  AHC raised the audio game bar, and it's up to us to make audio games that can appeal to wider audiences, not with fancy sound, but with an overall good gameplay experience that everyone would want to play, no matter what format the game is in.

2018-01-20 18:39:18

Crystal, thanks for this. Clearly you get it.

Manamon is not a terrible game, btw, even if it's a shameless clone. Its status as a shameless clone should absolutely be held as a point against it, however, because even if it's virtually bug-free and has decent sound design, it is asking us to pay forty dollars and more for something which is  heavily, heavily plagiarized. I'm not in favour of causing any legal trouble for VG Storm, by any means, but I'm also not in favour of letting things just slide by either. I refer to it as calling a spade a spade.

AHC is not a clone, not in the pure sense. If it's supposed to be a DND clone, where's charisma? Where are feats and saving throws? Where is Magic Missile? No, it's a high-fantasy-inspired RPG, as are about half a thousand others in the mainstream market. This should not and must not be held against it.

2018-01-20 18:51:28

Nor do I think it was, originally the poster's intent to hold such a thing against it.  AHC is not, however, in a class all its own, and that's where we're all just, gonna have to agree to disagree, I guess.
Is it a good game?  I'd say so.  Is it worth buying?  Sure, if you like the style of play and the idea behind it!  Is it worth the price?  Absolutely, considering entombed before it was like, 20 dollars more expensive and nowhere near as good!  Is the concept and or the mechanics behind it original?  Nah, and that is, what makes it in many respects, to me and others like me, a clone of other things we've played in the past.  Not bad, not horrible, not stupid, not the infamous bad word of the ag net community or anything even close, but a clone nonetheless.
BTW, I like the fact that even magic can miss in this game!  How many times have I tried to firebolt an enemy and been absolutely and entirely frustrated and equally thrilled at the same time because it missed, giving it a bit more, realism?  Play any other game with similar concepts and you'll more than likely see that magic is better than melee by the simple fact that magic never misses.  That statement does not hold true in AHC, and I thank the devs for it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-20 20:03:45

As someone who's actually done my fair share of design from the dev side (online and otherwise), I can tell you largely why magic hits more often than melee. It's because magic actually has a cost. You can plug away with a mace and sometimes you'll miss, but magic, by virtue of the fact that it has an associated cost, generally has to either hit harder, or hit more often. This is, in fact, an area where I think AHC has missed just a wee bit, but not by much. I'm not saying magic should never, ever, ever miss, ever. I'm saying that it should be harder to miss with magic because it has a cost.

No, AHC is not 100% totally original. But is any RPG 100% original? Is this to be a point of contention? Because that's what I feel like at the moment. We can agree that the idea of levelling up, learning skills, using stats to improve combat performance and killing the big bad guy, in and of itself, has been done a lot. A whole lot. It's all in how you get there. Are the maps interesting? I'd say they are. Is the combat interesting? Again, I'd say so, though I'd make buff-stacking outside of battle stop being possible because it wrecks balance. Is levelling up and learning skills good? Well, it's decent, anyway; you never feel like you have to grind for five hours just to be competent, the way you might have in, say, FFVI or Dragon Warrior or Crono Trigger, two of which are rather iconic in the RPG genre. And is the story good? Again, I'd say it's pretty good. I've seen better, I'veseen far worse (Paladin, I'm looking at you). Rather than focus on the fact that a game is an RPG, and shares traits with a lot of RPGs, ask yourself how well it does those things.

The reason Manamon has gotten slammed so hard is because it's unapologetically a rip-off. And it doesn't even have superiority to its source to argue for it. A lot of moves/creatures/mechanics are iffy, the story is interesting but rather shaky, its maps are decent, and its level-up system is bog standard (not bad, not good, just standard). Manamon gets slammed because it goes into a genre, borrows very heavily from a source, then fails to execute properly. AHC, on the other hand, succeeds because it goes into a genre, borrows not quite so heavily from its source material and, for the most part, does a good job with it.

2018-01-20 20:57:46

I like it!  Seriously!  I do!
so much so, that I'm willing to give it away!
I'm not here to bash on it, not here to rip it apart, but honestly, I just wish we had a bit more, uniqueness in our games overall.  I love it!  From the amusing and quirky dialogues, to the fact that thought went in to the various skills and spells and they weren't just named all over because of things you've seen named in the past, whatever, to the various effects they can actually bring about, the quests, all of it!  It's good!  But it feels the same!  it's not revolutionary!  I'm not saying it has to be, but I wish it was, given the hype that went into it and the way people seem to have this, knee jerk reaction when you say something even slightly negative concerning it.  All that sound design gimics will never put to  rest that one could honestly make a great game without the entirety of it sounding like the greatest cinematic story you've ever heard, unfolding before you over a span of time.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-21 03:21:00

@Jayde I couldn't have said it better myself!  I consider a clone to be a 1 for 1 rip off of something.  Like you could say Final Fantasy 3 is a clone of Final Fantasy IV if you're going off of mechanics, but they both have differing stories and characters and all that jazz.  I'd just rather see actual conversation about how to better AHC as a whole (because I do have issues with it's execution, no matter how much I'm enjoying the game)  rather than seeing everyone say that it's a clone because...it's a fantasy RPG.  Going that route every piece of fantasy fiction is just a clone of Lord of the Rings~

@Nocturnus  I'm the same way, I see the flaws in AHC, I'm not here to sing it's praises.  But to completely discount what it's done in the audio gaming space by saying it's a clone when it's just inspired by the fantasy genre I feel just shuts down the conversation, gets people on the defensive, and makes any actual conversation about making games like it better in the future become rather pointless because then the whole subject of "Is it a clone?  Is it not" pops up.  But I do think from a story line stand point, it could be better.  I think from a balance standpoint, it could be better, but it's still something we can play and enjoy, and learn from to take into developing audio games, and accessible games in general in the future smile

2018-01-21 09:14:36

That's about where I am as well. It deserves a lot of praise for what it does right, but it has a few notable things that might do well to be addressed as well. This is a very solid game that has a few areas where it might improve, but that isn't a bad thing. That's true of most mainstream games, actually, so I'm in agreement. The main thrust should be not in which game is a clone (unless the status as a clone is to its detriment somehow), but rather in the merits and flaws of games in general.

2018-01-21 09:48:24

@CrystalD,
Awesome stuff and well phrased post; thumbs up on 63.  I'm not trying to discount any of what AHC has done.  My concern actually lies in the fact that a game of this caliber comes out and then we settle for saying that this is the best we can do or the best that we've done up until now.  You're absolutely right, however; every title is going to serve as a drop of history by which we can establish something else, a point of reference we can work around when the next title comes along.  either way, it is what it is to every single one of us differently.  Because this is the case, I'm going to address all of the points in post 1 and hope that will actually get the ball rolling in the right direction.  this is gonna be rather long, so if you read it in its entirety, I sincerely appreciate your attention in advance.
1.  What makes this game any different to the 50000000 clones out there?  I think we've hashed and rehashed this aspect of gaming quite enough where AHC is concerned; some people believe it to be a clone by virtue of the fact that the concepts are not unique; others are not entirely convinced and prefer to call something a clone only if it deliberately goes out of its way to look exactly like something else, which is a fair assessment of the word clone, I suppose.  Perhaps we should use the word immitation instead?
2.  What will make people want to come back and keep playing for longer than 5 minutes?  In the case of AHC there are a few things.  First, the game is not all fighting and not all story line.  the quests are somewhat difficult and there isn't always obvious answers.  The various paths one can take are also worth mentioning, even just within dialogues... see the easter eggs topic if you want further examples.  Given I've only begun to scratch the surface on this one, I'm sure there's much I'm missing, so I'm willing to admit that there may be much, much more to it than all of the above, but as it stands right now, the kind of expansion i'd' like to see concerns itself more with what and how we do things.  Aside from the obvious ones that might make a game like this more enjoyable to some, myself included, such as multi-player support, the ability to buy and sell from other players in a centralized location or the ability to craft your own weapons or enhance those that already exist by some means, more simplistic goals might be things like actually having to learn the spells and or skills you're dealing with, either through tomes or training, having to use a wand/staff/rod  and strange mechanics/gestures to cast some spells more reliably than others perhaps simulated through the use of the mouse, possibly even doing the same with melee weapons and the like so that you have to hold down left or right mouse button and slide the thing to swing a sword or what have you, instructing a character to act as a hitter, blaster or a tank entirely through his or her lifespan/the time they're with you/any extended amount of time of your choosing.  sound complicated?  Fine!  but I'm tired of simplistic number crunching and keypad mashing where the result is determined by setting a stat to this and putting experience into that.
3. When I sit down tomorrow and hammer out another game, will I think about the game I just made yesterday?  this one is not one I can answer because I'm not a dev, but I hope other devs are going to take it seriously because it holds a ton of implications.  Recycling code and even certain aspects of your games is perfectly fine; n64's Golden Eye and Perfect Dark, made by the same company are, I feel, perfect examples.  The controls feel almost the same, but you can tell that PD was slightly more than GE given there are more achievements to collect, more dialogue, acted scenes, new sounds, even new mechanics!  IN GE you constantly threw grenades by holding down the z button.  In PD, a grenade could actually detonate in your hand if you did the same exact thing.  In GE your guns only did one thing.  Because PD was more sci-fi, you were given a secondary mode for practically every weapon, even those that were simplly average every day handguns.  In GE every door had to be manually opened.  In PD some doors opened of their own accord to showcase the futuristic aspect.  In GE you could enter cheats even if you hadn't completed the game by entering codes right in your playscreen through the use of your remote.  In PD you seriously needed a gameshark because screw you!  I'm not letting you cheat unless you beat me first!
4.  How can I get the best with my sound design with whatever limited resources I may or may not possess? (I know that last one is a very grey area).  Seriously, I actually think this is an area where AHC did immensely well; I was pleased to see we weren't sticking to old 90's stock sounds all the way through just because they're there and sony and sound ideas and hollywood edge are the best and screw you!  Everyone recognizes this stuff!  Lets do it!
5.  How am I going to market my game, should I maybe seek advice from other successful candidates?  I believe the marketing strategy for AHC was exceptionally aggressive; I'd like to believe it was entirely honest as well.  Some of its goals were obviously not met and the devs were clear enough on that front, saying that they pushed the game out knowing it would crash and that there would be bugs owing to the fact that they didn't test as extensively as they wished they could have because they were more eager to get this thing out to us than they were on looking like the perfect guru magicians of the ag community they knew they weren't.  As I said above, I make no attempt to hide the fact that I would rather have waited another year or two for this game to meet its full potential; this is where I feel like the rest of the gaming community gets a bit too greedy and pushes devs to release games yesterday rather than allowing them to deliberate longer and without as much stress.  Yes, gamers, we're all mostly to blame for that one.
6.  If this a practice game, maybe state this in my thread when making it? If we look at it from this perspective and AHC was supposed to be seen as a practice run, then we can safely say that it was more than a success and those who expected better should and would, had they understood it as such, probably not be so surprised or put off by the end result, but this is, I believe, an important topic to cover.  given the game was not free of charge and the devs expected some sort of financial compensation from the very beginning set a sort of standard though, a message that this was in fact, no practice and no child's play, that we are ready to go into the professional field fulltime and what you pay for is going to be a spectacular product.  The word spectacular here is going to be subjective, which is where the arguments are always going to exist, because one's idea of it will differ if only slightly from the next.
7.  Finally, should I perhaps implement a pre planning stage before I start making a game?  It'd be hard to say whether this game was exceptionally thought out over the past 5 years without first answering question 6, but this is a no-brainer for every dev.  My art is somewhat different from yours; I work with audio.  Every timeI record/produce something I like to think about the end result first; it doesn't always turn out that way and the project ends up being scrapped for something better or shelved for another day.  I have a lot of ideas when it comes to music and sound design; I don't always know how to make them come to life, but I toy with them in my mind regardless.  Brainstorming doesn't always have to be done on paper, but some do it better that way.  I work best when I'm honestly enthused by an idea; if it doesn't hold/captivate me anymore, it's time to kiss it goodbye for the next one, at least until I can come back to it again and recapture the feeling.
If you've managed to make your way through all of this rambling I salute you; I honestly didn't intend for this to be as lengthy as it turned out to be, but I haven't been able to sleep for the past few hours and figured I'd make some productive effort on this topic rather than just being the guy who sits off in the background saying I want more more more without saying what I want more of.  I do not believe my aims to be unrealistic, even if I am rather crazy.  the perfect game doesn't exist, but those who want it will keep trying for it because the desire, does.

2018-01-22 04:39:24

@Nocturnus  Imitation I think is a far better word than clone lol.  AHC definitely imitates a lot of fantasy RPGs - whenever I describe it to my brother I'm like "It's like Skyrim" so I totally think of that more than a clone of something.  Also - all of your points are points I've brought up to people when talking about the game, and I don't think it's much to ask for to want that sort of added detail to a game with as much hype as AHC got.  In particular, when I first saw the magic tutorial, I thought the buying spell books to get more skills was going to be the mechanic used.  It took me dying to the Hydra too many times to keep count of and trying to figure out a good strategy to realize oh, expertise  points raise the level of spells/teach them to you!  And that was baffling to me because the tutorial made it like you used those points to go buy spellbooks to get spells.  I think that would have been a great mechanic to add to the game.  I'm not going to touch upon anything else you said because like legit everything you said is what I've been thinking about as far as making the game better goes, especially having it not have been released for at least a few more months until the bugs were ironed out of it.  Also really wish that some tutorials were a bit more specific, along with some quest lines but that may be a matter of my playstyle.  I'd much rather enjoy playing a game and experiencing the story rather than figuring out where to go to the extent that AHC wants you to figure out where to go at times  (I figured it out, but the Actually Love quest comes to mind with just having to figure out where to go out of the blue with no direction at all).  But like I said, may just be how I like to play games lol.

2018-01-22 09:55:28

Actually Love quest...on that score, the idea of "talk to everyone" pays dividends.
slight
spoilers
Beatrice will help you. And she's close by the armourer, so while it's a little bit of an odd one, it's not utterly impenetrable.
I'm assuming I've done all the quests the game has to offer - thirty-five of them, at last count - and none of them really and truly gave me fits except Laying Down the Law, for reasons I've explained elsewhere.

Crystal, I understand what you're saying about wanting to enjoy vs. wanting to struggle. I feel like this is nothing more or less than a personal preference thing. I love to explore, personally, and as long as I'm not dying right and left, I don't really care. Being able to save anywhere, at no cost, really helps in this regard. I save religiously. This does not mean your perspective is wrong, it simply differs from mine, and I'm okay with that.

I agree, Nocturnis, that we don't have to give a game a complete pass just because it's good at what it does. I've never, ever thought that. And on the one hand, I'll admit that it was annoying to have so many little bugs in AHC when it launched, but on the other, it was very nice to see just how fast those bugs got patched.
I confess that the stuff using the mouse to sword-swing or gestures to cast spells just seems gimicky. This is a turn-based RPG, there's nothing wrong with selecting things. Where I personally feel AHC falls down a bit is that there's no real AI that I can see. I don't see complex strategy. If you bash stuff hard enough, it dies, and sometimes monsters will waste turns not doing the optimal thing. One thing I've always liked about Final Fantasy and Crono Trigger and games like that is that bosses, while sometimes laden with gimicks, are also smart, sort of. If you cast a magic spell, the boss counters with Silence. Or, a particularly lovely example, the Magus sisters from FFIV. One of them casts protection spells on the trio. One of them is a huge damage dealer. The third will heal the hell out of all three. So you have to figure out how to deal with that. This is the sort of strategy I like, and where I found AHC lacked a little.

2018-01-22 14:51:20

@Jayd, have you tried it on all the difficulties?  I assume you have given that you're making such a statement.  I figure that kind of thing might happen on easy, which was my first go with the game; I still haven't finished by first go around yet because children and housework and bla bla bla, but if you can still say that after trying it on the most difficult setting then I'm entirely with ya and there should be some tinkering done with the AI aspect of things.

2018-01-22 15:10:58

Her or his user name is spelled Jayde,. I thought you would want to know. wink

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2018-01-22 15:17:51

lol Noted and well spotted.  Actually, I have a habit of copying and pasting people's names in which escaped me this time around, probably because I was too busy thinking about goodness only knows what else.

2018-01-22 21:44:38

I would have to do a playthrough on hard starting at level 1, which I'll do when I have time...but even on normal I didn't notice specific strategy. i.e., turn 1 the boss does this thing, then turn 2 one of his lackeys does this other thing to help him and turn 4 the boss, protected by that lackey, does something epic. Stuff like that. I have never seen cooperative groups, not even in boss fights. The closest is the final battle, but all you need to do there is AoE the hell out of them, and all strategy goes out the window (this is true on both easy and normal, and I wrecked the final boss on normal even easier than on easy, funnily enough). I really hope Blessed Peace got a hard nerf, not a soft one. lol

Anyway, yeah. I'll have more specific data about hard mode at some point, but so far I noticed little enough difference between easy and normal that I'm...not really expecting much. And like I say, this is where an RPG falls down for me. It's why I liked Entombed...at least in general, its boss fights were kind of interesting. I'm thinking of the final battle, and the way the Alyssa and the crystals worked.

2018-01-23 11:45:33

Amen to that, having to understand the crystals in order to destroy them in the correct order lest you breathe a sigh of distress because you got the blue one last and it decided to restore one of the others just when you were getting ready to finish it off is seriously annoying, but cool.  Then there's that whole transformation bit with Allysa, at which point you'd better hope you have either summoned snakes and spiders that can poison her before she starts causing you serious damage, a ton of silence scrolls, or a fighter assassin that can sneak attack her for extreme damage and exceptional accuracy to go for the head.  I'm sure there are other strategies as well that are just as inventive if not more so, but those are the three that worked for me, apart from summoning that angry troll on floor 20 and using his axe along with another legendary one I managed to acquire through the bazarre, and a giant with a bunch of nice armor and weaponry along with him to make for a nice, undead duet.

2018-01-23 18:42:28

Well...

Audio games are still really limited, easy to play (mostly) short, boring in terms of story lines (if there's any), not addicting enough (with few exceptions) and overpriced (usually)

One thing I learned in my life is you don't need lots of cash, huge team behind a project to do something good, ambitious and creative. Of course it depends on the project: You can't create something massive like AHC without voice actors but I saw lots of video games made by one / two people and even if 8-bit, games were played by many gamers for many many hours.

Greatest example is BK3, easy to pickup but hard to master. Tons of secrets, unlockables and stuff. Is this one sounds really like a pro video game? of course not but it's really additing, original and groundbreaking.

I played most (if not every) audio game out there and sadly most of the audio games are just clones of each other. Someone mentioned games from SEGA systems, yes, but games from 90s were more original and complex compared to our audio games we have for now.

Many times I feel like a blind developer is:
1. Hungry for money and this is why development takes really short amount of time.
2. Blind developers don't have any kind of experiences regarding video games (Of course it could be understandable, not every blind should play video games)
When I was testing and every time I am playing AHC I feels like developers are gamers, true gamers as they knew what to do and how to do things  to make AHC a game like it is now: Balanced, with great living world, with fantastic atmosphere.

No offence of course, just say what I am thinking.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2018-01-23 20:39:15

Hey, there's nothing wrong with stating your opinion. That's what the forum is here for, by and large.

I agree with you for the most part. Some people are great coders and poor balancers/actual world developers. Then you get folks like me, who can't code worth a damn but who understand the basic concepts, and who would rather plunge into a world numerically and story-wise to hand off to a programmer to get stuff rolling. The community needs both.

Honestly though, regarding BK3, I feel like that game was about twice as long as it needed to be. A lot of repetition, and past a certain point, it felt, to me at least, as if you were just doing the same thing with bigger numbers. Faster rate of fire, higher damage, better ammo, etc. That doesn't make it a bad game. it did a lot of things right. it just makes it...well, repetitive, I guess. But again, that's just me. Not knocking the dev here. For those who like it, have on.

2018-01-23 21:59:07

Hey, Jayde, totally understand you.! smile My knowledge of programing is really limited and basic but I know about games itself, I played a lot and saw a lot in my life.

In my opinion this community is closing many times on cooperation and doing things together building a team with a people who know how to do programming, knows a lot about games and the mechanics rather than doing everything on their own.

I know everyone especially who is trying to get cash from the product wants to be alone just to get as much as possible (atleast it looks like that) but it will not work in many situations. I know few good coders who can do amazing stuff but their gaming knowledge is really, really bad. What I am trying to say is: You can't make good and tasty soup if you never tried it even if you skills are amazing. smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759