2018-01-13 13:48:38

Hmm, this has me curious...  So if you don't mind me picking your brain about it, what all can it describe?    Is it anything like audio description in a film, or is it a bit more or less detailed?

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-01-13 15:52:09

That depends on you. While you are connected to the service, your assistant sees what the camera sees, and talks to you through the connection on your phone. It's like having a sighted person at your side to describe to you what's around or what's going on, or they can help you with a task that needs sighted help to accomplish.

One example of how I'll use it is that I get my voting ballots mailed to me. I fill them out, then mail them back so my vote can be tallied. In the past I had to wait for a family member to be available to do this, next time I'll use Aira!

You can get a free example of what Aira is like by getting the Be My Eyes app for your phone. Like Aira it connects you to a sighted person who will see what you show them by aiming the phone's camera and talks to you through the phone. The difference is that with Be My Eyes, you are working with untrained volunteers, while with Aira you work with trained assistants who are under non disclosure agreements to protect anything they learn about you while working with you. And Be My Eyes is free. Other than that, the experience is very similar.

2018-01-13 22:01:14

I heard of Be My Eyes.  Interesting concept.  The concept is pretty neat though for sure.  Right now though, I s see no need for it, since I don't do a whole lot other than work on my music and browse the internet and well, if i go anywhere, I have friends or family with me always.  However, if I was  on my own somewhere, then I could see this being useful.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-01-13 22:43:43

This sounds cool, but at this price point, very few people will be able to make use of the service. Maybe f you get a job with a fortune 500 company or something of that nature.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-14 01:43:18

True enough, if you always have sighted family members around who are willing to help, then you probably don't need Aira. But in my case, I live alone in a one bedroom apartment 40 miles or a one hour road trip away from the nearest family members I trust and am willing to work with.

I have used Be My Eyes, but because the people helping you are untrained volunteers with no agreements in force to protect you, I won't use it where my personal information or safety is involved.

2018-01-14 07:03:54

Hi and a good sunday morning to you all.
it's around 6 AM in the morning and due to the fact that I can't sleep anymore, I decided to surf the web a bit and see what would come up.
So, what's new around these parts. The trail ride we started in the beginning of 2018 went quite perfect, with some little problems here and there, but no big things like bone breaks or something like that in that dimension, just some bruises here and there.
I started working again, or rather, training, i am doing a three year training as an I.T. person with an emfersize on application development, even though, after the months I am staying there, I don't really see my future in programing anymore. They also have a course focusing on Server administration and system intigration, and after looking a bit more into this, this is the sort of thing I am wanting to do when I finish this.
Apart from that, everything went quite fine and still is, we'll see what sunday brings me, will possibly do nothing much today, some reading, some playing games, I don't know yet.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-01-14 13:18:32

IT's about 5:18am here in Texas, cald as balls, and I'm not doing much of anything.  NOt feeling good, but I still just keep doing what I do. *Shrugs*

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-01-15 00:55:44 (edited by Orko 2018-01-15 01:00:02)

Did I speak too soon?

Somewhere I think I said that I had not had a cold or flu for about ten years.

I woke up yesterday with a scratchy throat that made me cough frequently, and today I woke up with the throat plus something that feels like chest congestion but doesn't sound like it, and a head that hurts and feels as big as a balloon, and a runny nose, and I'm freezing even though I'm wearing long sleeves and long pants.

Ugh! I feel like shit warmed over. Damn! I must feel like hell if I'm using four letter words that I normally avoid. (frowns)

2018-01-15 11:38:28

Hey, we're only human.   I tend to try not to use these anglo saxon words online either, but let's face it, it happens when you do't think or feel like garbage or just simply angry at something or maybe even someone, and when that happens, your fingers slip.   Whoops!

Hope you get to feeling better though.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-01-15 12:26:42

Aira sounds amazing!
I wonder if it could be used reliably for mobility or navigation.
I am really weak in that area, and I wonder if I could wear the glasses and walk somewhere
Would the camera be good enough to help the assistant see enough to tell me where to go?
Definitely worth researching.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

2018-01-15 12:35:08

I'm posting twice in a row, because this update is difficult, and it didn't seem appropriate to put it in with a happy topic.

I told you all about losing my job.
Then about losing a friend to suicide.
Two days after that, my cousin suffered a stroke. He was on life support, and finally passed away on Thursday night.

Then yesterday, another friend, a girl from my brother's high school class, purposefully overdosed on prescription meds, and she has passed away.

Our town is small, one where everybody knows everybody. So although I wasn't in the same grade as these friends, I knew them.

I know that personal circumstances and world events can combine in the wrong quantity, at the wrong time, to make you feel like things are too much, that no one cares, that there's nothing in the future worth fighting for. But I am asking everyone, please, if you feel this way, try one more time. Reach out to someone, a friend, a family member, a stranger. Go to the police station and say you need help.
Just whatever you do, please don't give up.
Whether you can see it or not, you are important. You are here for a purpose, whether you know what it is or you don't. Life can be hard, but it can also be incredibly beautiful, and I don't want anyone to miss out on the good things.
YOU . ARE . WORTH IT!

2018-01-16 01:52:45

Unfortunately, as part of signing up I had to go through their terms and conditions, and one of those was that Aira was not to be used as a substitute for your own mobility skills. They might be willing to guide you to a particular store in a shopping mall, but they will not help you cross a street.

2018-01-17 01:31:58

@Mirage, really sorry to hear things are so difficult at the moment and people you know are going through these sorts of circumstances. Having been there myself I do appreciate the problem.

hope your own life gets better soon since it sounds like everything is piling up at the moment, actually i really hope 2018 doesn't mirror 2014 in being a universally crappy year for pretty much everybody.

@Simba, that trail ride still sounds cool, bone problems or not d.

@orko, if Aira ever makes it to the Uk please let me know, it does sound like an interesting service and something I think would be really useful to my lady and  I (provided two people could use the same account of course), though I think we'd probably get the phone version as even though I still have very limited vision and use the white cane myself (well when my dog isn't with me), I do still find my glasses more helpful than not and couldn't do things like play graphical games without them.

the price is a ittle higher than paid assistance, (assuming it remains the same in the uk), but on the other hand that is what one gets disability benefits for, though when a lot of services come to the Uk they have a nasty habbit of jacking the price up (especially if the rnib is involved), so we'll see.

One question i do have, is even if they cannot actually help you with mobility could they help you with things like reading a sign in an area or telling you what a shop is? Sat nav systems haven't progressed quite far enough to  you wich a certain shop door is, and while reever is very good at finding  things, reading signs on shop doors or station platforms is a little beyond her big_smile.

My cold finally! seems to be abating, which is good since I need to get back to singing, also we've finally cleared out the small room next to our bedroom (which we've knick named the cell), where my weights are, so will start back with exercising next week. It helps with my voice and is something I like to do,  provided it doesn't take me more than half an our or so each day.

lots of work on the db today, so got an update out, though as usually there is soooooo much more to add it's unbelievable, also the university situation still continues to be rather ridiculous, since now it turns out  my friend (who also works as my research assistant), can't actually print out said articles either without logging on to the university database. I cannot do that since the lovely uni It services refuse to send me a password on anything other than their very inaccessible web mail client (one reason I've never used my uni email).

It is quite ridiculous the lengths stupid publishers go to to make sure that nobody who isn't authorised read their work, lengths which actually make what should be accessible to everyone! accessible to even fewer people (and I use the term "accessible!" here with a very large pinch of salt considering they're image type pdfs that are utterly screen reader unfriendly).

I'll have to phone the uni tomorrow and give them merry hell I think.

On the plus side, doctor who continues to be awesome, I really liked the latest tenth doctor audios, and it was so great to see David tenant and billy piper back together. I'm also playing through A dark room in bits, which I'm finding wonderfully grim and rather fun, though I have had to stop several times to bash out db pages for a variety of games as people will gather, since once again we're rather falling behind especially with the Alexa now being another rapidly expanding platform.

Oh well , i suppose it keeps me out of mischief big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-17 16:48:27

@Dark

I will try. I have needed Aira twice since I got it and despite having the glasses, both times I used the phone's camera because I could manage with just one hand available.

Like Mirage, my mobility skills aren't the greatest, even after using a long white cane for four years, I still refuse to even attempt to cross any street that isn't considered a residential street where all you need is to listen for traffic to know when it's safe to cross. Still I wasn't disappointed when I was told that Aira couldn't be used in place of your own mobility skills, that would be a huge liability to take on considering that all they be able to see is what you show them, so I'm in complete agreement with them on that one.

@Mirage

Wow! Sounds like you've had a pretty rough time of it these past few months. Know that you are not alone, I've been where you are now, more than once, and the one thing that has always kept me from going over the edge is a definition for suicide I heard in a suicide prevention ad.

Suicide: A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I do hope that things will start looking up for you.

2018-01-17 21:25:05

@Orko I do see the point on mobility, though in my case crossing major roads with pelican crossings has been a must, albeit I probably wouldn't try without and frequently work out routes that take in said pelican crossings.

Luckily where we are now is an even smaller town than Durham where I was previously, so though we're on the main road, once you get off our road and into town traffic is pretty minimal which is nice.

I would be interested to know though about Aira and signs, indeed I was thinking about that today  after taking Reever for a run my lady and I went to an American diner to try it out for brunch, actually it was sort of a must given my parents (with the best possible motive but being a bit on the over zealous side), not only showed me where the thing was when they were last here, but also hijacked one of the menus to take home and read onto my victor's audio function (normally I'd just ask the waiter/waitress), so we had to go to return it.

on the plus side it's probably one of the very! few places in the Uk I've seen that sells rute beer, which is something we don't get over here very much, but I really liked when in the states. Also amusingly, all their dishes are named after different states and the Pensylvania (which my lady tried), was pancakes with bacon and maple syrup which amusingly enough she's apparently never heard of in pensylvania at all (pancakes with maple syrup yes, but not with bacon as well).

She said it was interesting but next time she'd go for the version without the bacon. I'll have to give it a try myself, though today I just had one of their chillydogs which was definitely good, albeit the chilly was more of a flavoursome stew than an actual chilly with kick.

Besides further wrestlings with the university there isn't much else to report that isn't visible on the forum, I really should stop worrying about the db and play some bloody games for a change, hell I should just sit down and finish the last hour of a dark room, not to  Start A hero's call, try out the new version of Warsim and goodness knows what else!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-18 02:47:33

@Dark

Pardon my ignorance, but what are pelican crossings? I've never heard of them before, maybe it's a UK thing.

Oh Aira wouldn't have any issues reading signs for you, but they'd leave what to do with the information up to you.

Not to disparage your parents because it's clear they mean well, but it would have been more polite to ask if they could borrow the menu with the promise of returning it. I doubt the diner would have had any objections once they knew why they wanted to borrow it.

I don't know how common this is in the UK, but over here, most restaurants, diners, and eateries have web sites and put there menus online. It's easy enough to capture it as text and load that on the Victor Reader if you are so inclined.

Yeah, syrup and bacon can easily be classed as a sweet and salty flavor which is becoming quite popular. I'm with you though in that I'd prefer my pancakes and bacon be kept separate. I'm not a fan of sweet and salty.

You sound like you have the same problem I do, so many games, so little available free time to play them. And now I have this cold or flu eating into my playtime. I've spent most of the past three days in bed. The last time an illness kept me in bed was 2003.

2018-01-19 17:40:46

@Orko A pelican crossing stands for a pedestrian light controlled crossing, the kind with redc and green lights, or occasionally red and green walking figures.
See This page on good old wikipedia

You do have them in the states but I'm not sure what they're called, I'll have to ask Mrs. dark. Actually that article is a little odd, since I always thought all the crossings with a button and lights (plus a bleeper and/or rotary), were called pelican crossings or pedestrian crossing as opposed to zebra crossings, though the wiki article specifically identifies pelicans as those with a yellow light for oncoming traffic. I also am not sure what a puffin crossing is as mentioned there (I've heard of them but I have no idea what they are exactly).

i'd always go to a pelican myself if one was available, especially with a large road so learning to handle them mobility wise has been a must.

With the diner, yes, a lot of places over here do have online menus (our favourite takeaway does which is nice), but not everywhere, especially smaller places. I was actually quite amused when i was trying to look up a local chinese takeaway and  up finding the menu of one of the same name, in Newark Massachusetts! it's all the fault of you rotten yankees pinching everyone else's place names! big_smile.

The American diner didn't have an online menu, hence why my parents asked the manager if they could borrow one, it was a little superfluous on their part but well intentioned, and in fairness the chilly dog was nice,  probably be heading back their to try the pancakes myself, especially now my Victor stream is back in working order so I can sit and read and have a coffee as I was used to do, which was always a very nice break when I had work to do in the morning.

not much else to report besides a lot of Dr. Who, finishing way of kings and  more playing around with Alexa plus some work on the db.
there do seem to be lots of games around at the moment, one reason I'm glad  we've recruited more people to add database entries, since manifestly there is just one of me big_smile.

2018-01-19 21:16:05

We do have intersections with pedestrian crossings, but as far as I know, they don't have any special designation other than being a pedestrian crossing.

Now I've heard there are pedestrian crossings that have a speaker next to the button you push to signal you want to cross that will announce the status of the walk light for the visually impaired, but they are either very new or very rare because in all my 60 years, I've never actually encountered one.

2018-01-20 04:44:42

I've seen plenty of intersections with chirping going on, usually in downtown areas, or big metropolitan areas, but usually one chirp is east west crossing, and the other is north south crossing.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-20 13:32:42

Yeah, but where do you live. I'm sure audio intersections are around. Unfortunately, at present they are the exception, not the rule. So, to have them available to you, you have to live in a community that has decided to spend the money to install them, and most municipalities won't do that unless forced by some legal action or threat of it. Sad, but true.

2018-01-28 03:40:11

@Orko I've never heard of a crossing with an actual announcement. All of the ones I've seen over here either have a bleeper and/or a rotary, that is like a small knob on the bottom of the box with the button that starts  when it's safe to cross.
They're good for people with hearing impairments, plus they're often used when two or three crossings are close together so having multiple bleepers could be potentially dangerous.

Well not a lot else to report other than lots of Steven King, finishing Seanon Mcguire's Ashes of Honour (which I'm now trying to write a book review for), and now starting words of radience.

Annoyingly at the moment it seems to be one of those occasions when multiple things break down at once. I'm waiting for Sanheisa to send me a new cable for my momentum headphones, since at the moment I'm using the bluetooth one which is a pest since I can't attach it to the long extention lead from my computer and sit on the sofa.
This also means I'm sitting on  now rather bust office chair which was here when we moved in. So in the space of a few days I've had to buy a new cable and! a new office chair, and shortly after that I really need some new 4.1 speakers for my pc as my old logitech ones have well and truly died.

I want to do this properly, especially because now there are two of us to use the  as Mrs. Dark and I often use the pc for listening to music or doing films. Unfortunately this means not just spending a lot of cash (ontop of the rest of the cash I have to lay out for other stuff), but also arranging a time to go in to my local speaker place and listen to lots of different models to see what I like best. I would not by choice get speakers ( since I'm intending to buy some really good ones with my savings), without hearing them first.

This does mean a rather grey patch at the moment with no speakers, less than usable headphones and a less than ideal chair, which is not exactly great, especially when you spend all night up with your wife watching Stephen King's the Green mile, sleep in all day and now plan to be up all night writing, ---- regular sleep cycles are for wimps! big_smile.

Actually I often got some of my best work done, on my book reviews, my phd thesis or elsewhere at about five Am, so this isn't new, albeit the lack of comfy seating makes it less than ideal, though that will soon hopefully be fixed big_smile.