2017-12-15 18:06:48

@rpgtank as a kickstarter backer you should have received a download link some time ago.

2017-12-15 18:07:55 (edited by Orko 2017-12-15 18:12:51)

@kevin.glaap

Yes I did, the problem wasn't with the accessible site, it was with humblebundle, which the accessible site puts the sale through. I don't know what that site is doing but more often than not, it causes Internet Explorer's CPU usage to go through the roof, which necessitates closing it. Itt also wouldn't let me download the purchased game until I created an unwanted account on the site.

At least for episode 0 ich.io didn't cause any of these problems, it just worked. Too bad the buy now buttons or links on it didn't work.

@JLove

You must be unlucky, in all the years I've been using Windows, beginning with Windows 95, the only problem I've ever had with it is that it collects garbage until it craps on itself and needs to be reinstalled.

As for not completely removing uninstalled programs, you can't blame Windows for that, instead blame the software developers. The uninstaller can only remove what it created, Most programs create additional file and registry entries that the installer/uninstaller knows nothing about, so it doesn't remove them.

I'd probably use Firefox or Chrome except that both developers chose not to take advantage of the integration Microsoft provided in Windows for Internet explorer that is perfectly usable by other browsers making them less convenient to use than Internet Explorer. A good example is the way favorites or bookmarks are saved. Instead of saving bookmarks in .URL files in the Favorites folder as Internet Explorer does, they both chose to store their bookmarkes in some proprietary file making them useless unless you open the browser first.

For zip files, until I downloaded this game and tried to unpack it, I've never had the built in zip file handling fail to work with a downloaded zip file.

I could go on but I won't.

2017-12-15 18:38:51 (edited by JLove 2017-12-15 18:44:08)

Just more proof...the garbage collection/removal in Windows is abysmal, which also contributes to instability, errors, and failures...no OS should need to be reinstalled regularly to maintain it's functionality.  And let's talk about another native feature within Windows...narrator.  It absolutely sucks.  It is the worst attempt at accessibility I have ever seen.  If you're going to include that feature as a native part of your OS, then it should at the very least allow you to access and do anything within the operating system itself.  However, I have found that there are parts of the OS that are read very, very poorly, if at all.  And do not try to use the Internet with it...you will fail.  Yet a free, open-source screenreader, NVDA, was developed bby people with a hell of a lot less money than Microsoft has, and it makes narrator look like what it is...utter garbage.  Then there's Apple, who makes VoiceOver native to their OS, and what do you know?...it actually works.  Not only does it give you access to the OS itself, it also allows the user to access the internet.  My thing is that Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company.  They can afford to hire the absolute best software engineers, designers, and coders in the world.  So to me there is absolutely no excuse for the myriad issues and instability that Windows has.

2017-12-15 19:12:53 (edited by Orko 2017-12-15 19:17:44)

I'll agree with you about Narrator, but then all of Microsoft's accessibility tools are in the same state. I've always understood that Microsoft wasn't trying to be an assistive technology provider, but to show the beginnings of what could be done and left it to other companies to provide accessibility tools that are robust enough for full time use.

Apple on the other hand provides things like Voice Over because they can't stand the idea of somebody other than themselves having some control over the user experience. Ever notice that the only TTS voices available for Apple hardware are voices that Apple themselves provide?

I think I like Microsoft's approach a lot better than Apple's.

I believe that the stability of Windows depends a lot on the skills of the user. I had an install of Windows XP run perfectly well for 12 years before I decided to replace it with Windows 7.

Anyway, that is all I'm going to say about it. It's time to allow this thread to go back to it's original topic.

2017-12-15 19:44:22 (edited by robjoy 2017-12-15 19:47:25)

I think we're sailing to off-topic waters here, but a few things worth noting:

Narrator had seen a huge improvement since Windows 8, and it is fantastic in Windows 10, it has braille support, and it can be definitely used to access the internet, as well as install Windows without sighted assistance.

Regarding Apple, the built-in voices are indeed licensed by Apple, however, o the Mac, there are 3rd party voices available, for example from Acapela.

I have switched to a Mac after using Windows for about 10 years, because I was unable to stand all its shortcomings, and things have reached a state where it randomly corrupted my user profile, open dialogs kept crashing, etc. The Mac is not perfect, then again nothing is, but at least I don't have to worry about whether my computer will boot up when I wake up or come home. It works, and it does what it is intended to and then some more. You have both worlds, Unix and Mac at the same time.

On a sidenote, before anyone thinks that that computer had a hardware failure, a friend of mine is happily using it for two years now, running Ubuntu on it.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2017-12-15 19:59:55

Hello all, I love the game a lot and just bought it a couple of days ago. How ever, I'm stuck in Ep 0 where the robot is trying to get through the elevator door after pressurizing it to unlock the door. I've tried pressurizing the door to -138 to bypass the robot from getting through but no luck. Is there anything that I'm missing? Thanks.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2017-12-15 21:25:29

@Jonnyboy
spoiler
there are two solutions to this puzzle. the pressure is one of those, but -138 is not the correct number. Do you want me to tell you the solution?

2017-12-15 21:27:01

i've lost track of the different coversations in this thread a bit..

does anybody still have problems getting the vi mode to work? we had two reports of it not starting correctly and I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

2017-12-15 21:40:39 (edited by JLove 2017-12-15 21:48:51)

@Rob, that is exactly my point.  Let's exclude accessibility...your OS shouldn't corrupt user profiles for no reason; apps shouldn't just randomly stop working and crash when there's been absolutely no input from a user; settings should not automatically change without input from a user (i.e., icons appearing or disappearing from system tray, which means that the registry values associated with that are being manipulated automatically by the OS, even though the user has set their own preferences, without the user's knowledge); native browsers shouldn't be utter trash; simple updates to the OS itself should not touch, let alone alter, your boot sector to the point that it cannot be repaired and you are forced to completely reinstall the OS.  And when there is an error, the messages regarding that error should contain more than some vague information like, x program has stopped working...no shit, Sherlock; I knew that when it stopped responding, or locked up my PC.  True, if you're lucky you can get the associated hexadecimal error code (there are plenty of cases where not even that is provided, which is ridiculous), but even that information can be vague and unhelpful in terms of troubleshooting.  again, there's no excuse for that sort of crap, given that the company releasing the OS has enough money to hire the cream of the crop, most brilliant, absolute best in designers, engineers, and coders.

2017-12-15 22:01:50

can we get back to the original topic?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2017-12-15 23:12:35 (edited by Chris 2017-12-15 23:13:47)

Does anyone know how I can solve my fan issue on my MacBook Air? I'd love to properly play this game, but currently can't.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-12-15 23:13:51

Yes. I've tried positive numbers too but not sure of what that solution would be.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2017-12-15 23:17:43

jonnyboy
spoiler - it'sanything above 200 i think

2017-12-15 23:19:09

Depending on the fan issue, it probably needs to be replaced.  That's the drawback to Apple...while their hardware is exemplary, it is extremely proprietary, and their designs do not lend themselves to self-service (I have a MacBook Pro).  Unless you have the specialized tools, you will have to turn it over to Apple for repair.

2017-12-16 00:02:57 (edited by Chris 2017-12-16 00:06:39)

No, I don't think the issue is hardware damage. I think the issue has to do with the graphics used in this game. See post 68 for details.

2017-12-16 02:41:56

Questions regarding this evil vague cameras puzzle
Regarding the cameras puzzle, how do the cameras work? The way I imagine it as a 5x3 grid with the coordinates in the form dxy. So cameras should be able to see as far in a straight line as possible before hitting something, right?
Where exactly are cameras located? Does each square have one? If not, how do you tell which squares have them? How much does one rotation turn all cameras and in which direction?

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2017-12-16 04:36:33

At post 91, yeah, this puzzle and other parts of the game like that are a real pain in that we don't get the overall picture, or as much intuitively apparent information as visual players.

At Chris, what model of macBook are you using? I seem to remember you mentioning it was a macBook Air? In that case, I'm sorry to say that but these low end machines just aren't supposed to handle Unity and similar mainstream games. Another Unity developer in a different topic, unfortunately I can't remember which one, was already struggling with a similar situation, trying to work around the inner mechanics of Unity itself in order to try to provide an option to disable any and all visual display whatsoever, to make the game work for blind players using underpowered machines like yours. As far as I know, he has not found a working solution yet.

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2017-12-16 05:44:32

for post 91, I meant cfxy, not dxy.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2017-12-16 06:15:40

if the title runs like episode 0 as sends the mac platform going crazy when run, then i'll pass this title by and will not be spending the money on episode 1. i know the graphics cannot be disabled but i thought that was the idea of the vi mode?

2017-12-16 06:22:20

Wow! I guess I'm out of luck then? I'm not forking out money for a more powerful machine when I play zero graphical games except this one. So this is a problem with Unity? It's a shame, because it should technically run just fine since it's text and audio based. What exactly do the graphics convey?

2017-12-16 10:42:48

I have just tried running the game in accessable mode and when it starts, I get only speech without music or other sounds. Is their anything I can do to fix this?

2017-12-16 10:51:45

@rpgtank check the game settings. there are volumes for music and dialogue voices

2017-12-16 10:55:00

@wlomas .. well our game has a very very limited need for hardware since its at its core a text game, but any game that is not only accesible will have at least some hardware need. sorry to hear that your computer doesnt run it properly but there is no problem with the mac system in general since we are mac users ourselves and have tested the game heavily on the platform.

2017-12-16 10:56:11

@Chris
@wlomas
have you tried lowering the screen resolution in the game settings?

2017-12-16 10:58:40

regarding the labyrinth. when you hit space all cameras will rotate 90 degrees. Cameras are located so that every camera always blocks one path, for example the path between cf43 and cf53. maybe we could add a text explaining this.