2010-02-01 23:08:25

being a trekky in general I do love other stuff though.
die hard is indeed a cool series robla
I also like "speed", and I'm also a stargate and red dwarf fan.
though the newest stargate series "universe" is kind of dull. the last episode I saw they just lost power - the destiny's systems shut down. now this is weird as the ainchents put so many safeties. the ship could just try and find a plent or not move on instead of carying on on its highly weird stop, dial, wait 12 hours, shutdown the gate, move on rutine.
or they just could have get lost in one of the earth ships, the sounds of that thing's sublight engines rule! lol!
o and I'm also a knight rider fan.
don't have a very  specific favourite movie though.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-02-01 23:19:44

Have to agree regarding the sound effect for the earth ship engines in Stargate. Sort of a little bit rocket-like but not so much that it isn't potentially some kind of more advanced system, since rockets would use fuel way too fast.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-02-02 00:06:15

i've only seen up to the third terminator film and I like the series, though more for the scifi elements and general stylings that pure action. Die hard is a great seriesthough, one of the few pure criminal action films I've seen with a great plot and characters and a good few tesists and turns.

Red dwarf yes indeed!

I've never actually bothered at all with stargate sinse the original film when it first came out, ---- which was fun but not spectacular.

As for trek though, I'm currently finishing my voyager wath through on the 7th series, ---- which is proving amazingly good, easily best series of voyager for a while with continuing plot, interesting enemies, ---- even the return of q. I'm going to be quite sorry to finish after that, ---- especiallyb as that probably ends my startrek watching as I don't plan on buying the enterprize or original series, --- -the original is fun and I've already seen much of it, but not really something I'd want to rewatch, ---- and enterprize is something I'd like to see once, but am not sure if I want to spend real money on acquiring it (it's a shame I can't wrent it).

Oh well, I'm going to rewatch babylon 5 after this, ---- especially sinse I got the 2007 one off special they did for christmas, so now i can redo the hole series pluss that.

Actually, sinse it's four years ago that I watched it and I've only ever seen it once, I've forgotten quite a lot of the twists and turns.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-02-02 16:41:48

it's sad st is no more in general. they could have ended in a bigger blast instead of going backwards... to the pre TOS era with enterprise.
The new movie, although I wish it'd be set in the  tng time, is pretty good.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2010-02-02 16:50:19

I felt Enterprise was finding its feet just as they canned it, though a lot of it is indeed something I wouldn't want to rewatch after the first time. I've avoided the new film like the plague, I wasn't a fan of the original series and the only time I got on with any of the Kirk stuff was in the wrath of kahn.

Time has moved on and you can't really do a "planet of the week" style series any more, people want something more.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-02-02 19:28:13

The kirk stuff is fun for it's pure silliness I find, ---- in fact the novelizations by james blish are great for that reason sinse the author was very obviously not taking things seriously, ---- the amount of phrases like "kirk gave him a right to the jaw!" is ridiculously amusing! ---- very much in the spirit of the series though, ---- though as I said, it's not really a series I'd watch many times like tng, ds9 or b5.

Back I haven't seen the recent film, but reports from people who's opinions i trust suggest it's actually not as terrible as it could've been,  so I'll have to look it over at some point.

If I can find a decent wrenting service I might watch enterprise, but from all I've heard, ---- everything from continuity errors coming out of the ears, to some shoddy characterization and pure dodginess, I'm scheptical of how decent the series is.

Then again, Voyager seemed to get a lot of flack, but I actually enjoyed the first three series when it had continuous plot and things were getting interesting with the introduction of the borg, ---- sadly after that it got a bit "planet of the week" itself, though there was stil the odd good story (some bad ones too, but so it goes).

Series 7 though as I said, i'm greatly impressed with. Plot continuity, return of baddies, great stories, character developement, ---- everything here, ---- and to top it off I've heard Janeway dies ;D.

No, despite liking the series I'm not a fan of the captain, ---- I think the borg had more personality on the hole, ;D.

Anyway before this turns into startrek wranting I'd better stop ;D.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-07-22 09:17:40

gremlins. gremlins. gremlins! the best film ever apart from ringer.
big_smile

2010-07-22 15:47:41

Ah Gremlins, awsomely fun! I saw it again last christmas and didn't realize how truly insane it is!

2010-07-22 23:40:06

i like the lord of the rings movies

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-07-23 00:07:10

Not as good as the books, --- but I'd better stop now before I start on a major wrant.

2010-07-23 06:55:05

i haven't red the books yet, are they similar to the movies?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-07-23 18:47:12

Well, that's rather like asking what the difference is betwene a revolver and a 50 pound cannon with exploding shells!

not to say i didn't like the films, but so much is missing, or has a completely altered and more hollywood emphasis from the original.

However, a very fair and good look at this are the movie goer's guides on the encyclopedia of Arda site at http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/ which are written exprressly to answer your question.

I highly recommend  checking them out, and I even more highly recommend reading  some original Tolkeen!

2010-07-23 18:49:42

i think i will read lord of the rings. I've always been interested in them

2010-07-26 10:32:15

the hobit is a good book.

2010-07-26 20:08:01

ah yes, the original tolkin books are better than the films!
definitely one of the best fantacy triligies out there!

2010-07-27 14:01:30

I would put it another way rather Robler. Tolkeen virtually single handedly created what is now modern fantasy, ie, books with really human characters in completely fantastical worlds.

Before tolkeen, the closest thing to fantasy were stories like Conan the Barbarian. Good fun, lots of blood and guts and slaying, but no real characterization or information about the world they come from. Essentially, before Tolkeen fantasy was about larger than life heroes mightly hacking their way mightily across the world, ---- indeed, in one of lord Gadolfin's books from the early 20th century, the ending is that the hero brings the villain back from the dead because his life is very boring without evil things to slay.

Also, this stuff was, ---- well there is no real point denying, racist to the points of natziism, talking about the noble white man slaying the evil black cannibals (yes, this is true).

not to say it isn't worth reading, some of the original Conan stuff is actually quite cool for fun, you can find lots of it at http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Robert_E._Howard (text only I'm afraid).

However, it is really limited in what it can do.

tolkeen was firstly interested in creating his own world and language, and the legends told in it, ---- the books which later became the Silmarillion. however, when it came to the hobbit (which started as a children's book), and then Lord of the rings, Tolkeen was interested in showing the sort of thing he'd seen himself during the first world war, very ordinary characters doing very extraordinary things.

that's why lotr is told almost exclusively from the hobbit's perspective, and the large set of myths and legends which Tolkeen created for his language are seen by very normal people.

Without tolkeen, i don't think we'd have! a fantasy genre today.

this was also as you might guess,why I was a litle narked at the way the films concentrated so much on Aragorn hack butcher slaying his way to kingship, rather than on the hobbits who were either light relief or, ---- in the case of Frodo, completely pathetic! indeed, I really! dislike the way Frodo comes across in the film as a complete wimp.

Anyway, as you'll guess I'm a tolkeen fanatic, in fact I even wear a direct copy of the ring complete with engraving in the black speech of Mordor, ---- which i got several years before there was! a film.

Oh, and for interests' sake, Peter jaxon is now working on two films based on the Hobbit, which I believe are due for release either next year or in 2012, which should be interesting.

2010-07-27 15:20:06

yeah, the film dont portray the characters very well, although a radio dramatisation with bill nie as sam did that quite well. i thought that was much better  than the films, not as long but still good!

2010-07-27 19:15:13

Yep, the bbc dramatization did extremely well, it even had Ian Holm as frodo who played Bilbo in the film. I particularly like the way it sets a lot of tolkeen's ow poetry to music.

the only sad point about that is that Tolkeen himself died three years before it was created in 1973, so we never got to know what he thought, though he was generally not a fan of any adaptations that were created in his lifetime.

Someone proposed a script for a Lotr film in the 1950's, and tolkeen's comments weren't too pleasant (he described it as one seen after another of screams and slashings).

There was also an earlier bbc adaptation of Lotr made in the early 60's, however it got lost in the pege of the bbc archives in the 70's, (the one that also lost them so much doctor who), so we can't here it.

Going from notes and Tolkeen's own comments though, it wasn't nerely as good as the 1976 dramatization at all.

2010-07-27 22:55:00

i don't wach too many films anymore. i do wach benedorm a lot though.

2010-07-27 23:03:29

I've not heard of that I'm afraid, but then again I find most tv these days is either reality tv or celebrity rubbish, so I don't really bother. in fact the only reason I own a tv is it has my snes plugged into the airial and it's 40 inches wide,  which is great for watching dvds on my pc (which is also plugged into it).

I might actually see if I can relinquish my license, sinse i have much better uses for 90 quid a year than paying for a service I don't use.

There is of course doctor who and being human, but my parents have a very good recording system.

2010-07-28 11:04:31

benedorm is a comody. it's funny.

2010-07-29 12:57:38

hmm, i wasn't aware that the bbc made the adaptation, i purchased it when i was eight, on the good old casettes. i'd really like to get my hands on the audio book for the novel, i've read it in raille, but want to read it again, but dont really fancy reading it alll by hand again smile