2008-08-07 12:37:32

In your opinion, what's the best movie ever created?

2008-08-07 13:04:04

This is "off topic", moved appropriately.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-07 13:14:03

stil a good question though, ---- but personally i don't have a "best film" I just have lots and lots of films I like, and listing them would take a while.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-08-07 14:11:21

it's between gladiator, transformers (2007) and perhaps some other films that i can't remember, but i like lots of films, pirates of the caribbean sires is good. but gladiator has some awesome fight scenes and a cool story line.

2008-08-07 14:47:54

Dune.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-08-07 18:54:24

I've heard of dune, there's also a playstation game called dune, and you went around with a sword fighting scorpions and things. it wasn't that accessible though as far as i can remember.

2008-08-07 19:28:56

Complete rubbish from the sound of it. The film was based on the book called Dune funnily enough. Think desert planet with the most valuable substance in the whole galaxy on it, and this is the only place where it grows. The only thing that allows space travel. Along with this you've got various political powers trying to wipe out the House Atreides, and the enigmatic Fremen natives.

Oh, and worms. Really, really big worms that can eat heavy duty industrial vehicles without flinching.

cx2
-----

2008-08-07 22:20:40

well i have lots, listing would take a while.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2008-08-08 14:32:45

Personally, gladiator was fun, but imho nothing special, the evil emperor was far too overdone if you ask me.

Cx2, I'm surprised you say the Dune film. i once did see a very good miniseries, though i admit my memory of that is a bit hazy, being as I watched all 7 hours of it with two friends over the course of one night, ----- while drinking our very own home made coffee with spice, did have a distinct effect upon our mental faculties, but I don't think you'd have trusted us with a spaceship, ---- unless it flew veeeeery slowly, ;D.

It was rather a nice accompanyment to Dune though. Recently however I have to say i'm becoming a fan of Frank Herbert's other series about the water planet Pandora as well, ---- similar in style to dune but with a very different theme.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-08-09 13:22:53

Laugh Dark, space ship plus caffeine equals problems.

I actually am lucky enough to have memory of how the Duen film looked, the special effects were old but the sets were huge and the still suits looked amazing.

As to the mini series I've not seen the Dune one, but I have the Children of Dune one on DVD and it is indeed excellent. I've got the soundtrack CD too which is very good.

cx2
-----

2008-08-09 21:11:17

Casablanca.

Though Dark Star would be close.

John Bannick

2008-08-11 11:13:25

As a semi romantic (or at least a light opera enthusiast who lovessinging love duettes), I feel rather bad in that I've never seen casablanca john.

cx2, I'm rather jealous, I did lik the soundtrack to the dune film. i was a litle confused at patric Stewart there though, particularly as gurny hallic.

Another series of books you might like if your a dune fan is a series I'm rereading at the moment, the book of the new son by Gean wolfe, comprising Shaddow of the torturer, Claw of the consiliator, the sword of lictor, and citadel of the Autarch.

has some really intreaguing ideas and a very distinct (though not easy), writing style, much like dune. The main character is an apprentice to the Torturer's guild on a sort of post post apocalyptic, post colonization and post just about everything else earth.

getting back to films though, ----- Hmmmm, so many good ones, starting from the classics like Starwars, labyrinth, aliens, working up to fun and random stuff like Moulin rouge, the works of shigeru Miazaki (particularly spirited away and princess monanoke).

yes, i admit I like weerd films, but what else would you think of someone who's collection goes from Kenshin to Doctor who, running through several encarnations of Lotr and narnia, The full cannon of Alien and matrix films, a couple of versions of Charley and the chocolate facotry, not to mention fiddler on the roof, two series of Heman, My fair lady, west side story, Dune, and the Lion King, and of course lots of doctor who, star trek and a litle star wars.

yes! I have a wide and wacky taste in Dvd's.

2008-08-11 21:58:32

i like very much lord of the rings.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2009-11-19 08:54:28

Really a good question, according to me the best movie ever created is 2012. The movie 2012 is written and directed by Rolland Emmerich who made mega successful films as "Independence Day", "Godzilla" and "The Day After Tomorrow". In this film huge number of people have to deal with natural disasters like volcanoes, typhoons and glaciers. The idea for this movie might have come from the fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, which could mean the end of world. It's well directed movie by Rolland Emmerich.

2009-11-20 10:23:09

Not a film i've seen I'm afraid, ---- and I wasn't keen on godzilla, day after tomorrow or independence day, ----- how an ultra high tech, sophisticated alien fleet can be taken out when their one force field goes down is beyond me, ----- obviously their ships' defences were designed by microsoft ;D.

2009-11-20 10:52:53

Funny, I recall a discussion of hacker films back at college but this could equally apply to independence day.

You see a guy screaming no at a computer screen, which shows a progress bar for downloading a virus.

Cancel button.

Those two words caused a burst of laughter.

That said thinking about it the whole virus nobbling thing reminds me of Star Trek, where they put all the borg into regeneration.

cx2
-----

2009-11-20 21:38:44

My favorite movie or should I say movies; it is a movie series (there are multiple series's, and even hundreds of episodes in its very own TV show)...

Star Trek.

How did you guess?

Anyway. That's my opinion. With the advanced scientific age of the 23rd century, and all the great scientific ideas and computers, its a great movie, and especially the TV seasons/shows. wink

2009-11-21 02:52:33

I'm not quite as much a startrek nut as I am Dr. Who or Lotr, ---- but it's stil something I enjoy collecting and watching. I'm currently on series six of voyager, having previously bought and watched all of next gen and Ds9, ---- acquiring the next gen films.

when i've finished voyager though I'm not sure what next. I'd like to watch enterprise, ---- but don't think I actually want to own the series, and I've already both seen all of the originals and indeed read the James Blisch novelizations which are great!

Saying that though, it's almost five years sinse I watched my way through Babylon 5, ---- so I might do that again, ---- pluss, Stratsinski has just released an interim dvd entitled lost tails which takes place somewhere in the story, ---- I could get that and slot that into the sequence.

As to microsoft and the Borg Cx2, ---- given all of the things 7 of 9 can somehow accomplish with nano probes alone, i'd say the borg must be a bunch of It service people, who have amazingly good technology at their hands, but force everyone to use it in the most pathetically inifficient way, ---- not to mention having security risks coming out of their ears!  ---- ;D.

2009-12-02 07:00:47

when it comes to movie... i love mission impossible and other scifi movies like matrix and etc because it truly very amazing... its animation effects and etc... love it very much...

2009-12-15 19:54:09

Casablanca

2009-12-15 22:23:35

Would you believe I've never actually seen it? ---- I probably should just to see if it lives up to the reputation.

2009-12-16 00:49:10

You'd like it.
Very poetic.
Lots of snappy dialog.

2009-12-21 07:49:29

There is no specific movie that can be named as a best movie ever created.

In earning Titanic is the No 1 place holder for a very long time, but its not the best movie. In ratings God father is leading. I dont think it is also the bets.

Todays best can be tomorrow worst, and different people have different opinions big_smile

2009-12-22 10:23:26

Frankly, i wouldn't trust either earnings or net ratings, sinse both are very much open to a number of factors which have nothing to do with the quality of the film, like advertizing, licensing, translation, who actually bothered voting etc, ---- not t mention symple fashion trends as you said yourself mike.

For myself, while as I said earlier I rpobably couldn't be bought down to a deffinative choice, i try to make as independent a decision as possible, ---- not based on any of the hype or fashion trends, or gross.

cube, an extremely good, very weerd scifi film which imho deserves more honour than it gets, had extremely small production costs and prophet. It is however regarded with great respect by the people like myself who've seen it, ---- so much so it spawned a couple of more highly produced sequals (though I've not seen those myself).

2010-02-01 21:58:20

well!
i have a fiew favourite films!
as an action fan, i couldn't forget die hard!
so there it is!
also i love lord of the rings return of the king, although long, gripping all the way!
there's also a lot of action films i've seen wich are good... like  gladiator! and of course the terminator series! wich i thought was kinda weird as the first two were fantastic, they dipped in the third, but the new salvation one is quite good imho!